Gold Standard BCAA Reviews

By: Optimum

Amino Acids > BCAA/EAA
Gold Standard BCAA is a BCAA/Intra-Workout manufactured by Optimum. BCAA is short for branched chain amino acids. They are the building blocks of protein and can increase protein synthesis, muscle recovery and endurance during workouts and have also been shown to reduce body fat.

June 15, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Banned Substance Free
  • Hydration
  • Endurance
  • Feeling Of Well Being
  • Improved Immunity
  • Contains Rhodiola Rosea
  • Lacks A Few Ingredients
  • No Pump Or Volumization
  • Have To Find A Complementary Pre To Suit

A very effective and interesting Intra - where less seems like more! This is my new addition that I am keeping (believe it or not).

Hey guys, Not a huge O.N fan to be honest - there's this huge misconception about their Gold Standard whey that has gotten me into trouble with a rep in the past (when I was working with USN). Since I cleared that up I was on the look for a new intra since I normally just a BCAA drink during my workouts I found myself slacking as soon as I went off any form of a pre workout. This had to be resolved...

Serving Size 1 Scoop (10 g)

Servings Per Container 28

Potassium (as Potassium Chloride) 100 mg
BCAA Blend (L-Leucine, L-Isoleucine, L-Valine) 5 g
Bakers Yeast Beta Glucan (Wellmune) 250 mg
Rhodiola Extract (root) 200 mg

I love that this is no prob blend and everything is laid out truthfully

Now being that is has a slightly warped view on a regular intra that contains your normal BCAA blend from ratio 2:1:1 until maybe a 10:1:1 with a electrolyte blend and maybe taurine thrown in for good measure, Train and sustain is slightly different as it claims:

5g BCAAs in 2:1:1 Ratio
Performance Support from Electrolytes*
Endurance Supporting Rhodiola*
Wellmune to Support Immunity*
Banned Substance Tested

The addition wellmune and Rhodiola makes this rather compelling and unique. Right off the bat I am a fan of Rhodiola as its an adaptogen that not only boosts endurance but fights depression and improves mood. But I have read caffeine can act against it - but I will leave that for another topic , purely their intention for for enhances performance. Overall This certainly could be improved with additions such as L-citrulline and beta alanine that would have helped with the lack of any pump and so too better endurance but this certainly held its own with these 2 major ingredients - which normally are found in almost every decent pre workout and at sufficient dosages too... So I get where they are coming from since they also have a pre workout that contains the missing ingredients as mentioned.

Taste

Raspberry Pomegranate - 8/10

Being that the local site I was on had only this option as a flavor I reluctantly got it. Since I am not the biggest fan of pomegranate I was fearing the worst - pomegranate is usually bitter and I don't do bitter. I was in favor of the pair as raspberry could be a nice sweet touch to balance the flavors rather well.

Well it was definitely a stronger kick of pomegranate than raspberry, its alot more tarty/sour than sweet but it is not bad at all to be honest. It does hit your senses as rather strong, but once your used to it - its rather enjoyable. I must say sipping on this served as refreshing drink! I did buy a few of this flavor as there was a promo on this - I have yet to try any other flavors as yet - but if this is anything to go by I am keen!

Mixability

Mixes extremely well and easy, no grit or foaminess. I have mixed it with a spoon and it mixes instantly - Really impressive.

2 rounded scoops in 350ML of water. I dont quite see the logic of a mini scooper that requires 2 scoops when a larger scooper would just require a single scoop. Pretty brainless IMO.

I didn't expect much from this intra - It seemed basic but I liked the addition Rhodiola as I thought it would a great combo along with ksm66 - fighting stress ain't so easy.

Anyways I have used multiple intras, intras are really a staple in almost every serious lifters supplement arsenal. For me I kinda fell off the gain train since I had adverse effects with xtend elite and all their additional extras. But from the onset this felt different, like it didn't try to be something it ain't and stayed true to its roots of being a basic yet effective intra. The positive effects on my endurance cannot be undermined - training whilst under going emotional strain is daunting! But on train and sustain I was able to think slightly clearer and train slightly longer and in turn harder!

I always ended my workouts with a bang which left me feeling alot better after a long day - and on the flip side my new training regime in the am has proven to be more effective overall in terms of mood and effectiveness. But all I can say that finding a pre to couple with this might be a challenge - I found their pre workout didn't work at all and I ended up having a terrible workout. But now I have a pre that works in terms of energy and focus which really complement train and sustain!

Don't expect any sort of pumps if you use this as a standalone, but overall it does what it claims - I can't say too much when it comes to the wellmune aspect as my immune system is pretty lit lol, but this could be a worthy addition as your immune system does dip slightly due to vigorous training and cardio, so having this in an intra and keeping your immune system peaked is a cool and good idea. Other than the total lack of pump or volumizing effects this certainly does the job and keeps me at it.

Value I found to be extremely good. I use this only on my training days - 1 tub lasts 28 workouts which is a long ass time, I train around 4/5 times a week, so it lasts me around 5/6 weeks which is real good. I got this on promo this side on a buy 2 and get 1 free for around $80. I know that aint cheap but here its the average price of an intra. I know it normally goes for around $30 in the US, which is around $1.07 a serving - and thats pretty decent for what it does.

Side Effects

Conclusion

A really kick ass banned substance free intra that really improved my overall experience during my session and out - which is exactly what I am looking for. To me - finding a staple supplement is hens teeth. The additions of wellmune and rhodiola rosea is a unique concept that does work extremely well. I found that this intra has made me enjoy training alot more and yield better recovery and improved endurance. Sure its not the most complete pre workout and does fall short in a few departments - but it really does hold its own without those ingredients! Also it don't taste too bad... Nice job Optimum!

Fridge
  • Raspberry pomegranate: 8/10

February 28, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
    • No Glutamine

I've been going to the gym 9+ years now, I started off the skinniest weakest kid, and have since gained a lot of size and strength. Right now I'm at a point where progress comes, but slow as I've come pretty far in the gym. I'm looking for products that just make me feel better in the gym and help me push harder to break past plateaus faster. I received this product as part of the bounty rewards program, but will be rating it's value in terms of what it sells for and how much I would have paid for it. I've used a handful of BCAA products in the past, and I have to say this isn't a terrible product but certainly doesn't standout amongst the BCAA's I've used.

Total Carbohydrate 4 g 1%
    Vitamin C (as Ascorbic Acid) 9 mg 15%
    Magnesium (as Magnesium Oxide) 60 mg 15%
    Sodium (as Sodium Chloride) 100 mg 4%
    Potassium (as Potassium Chloride) 100 mg 3%

BCAA Blend (L-Leucine, L-Isoleucine, L-Valine) 5 g
    Bakers Yeast Beta Glucan (Wellmune) 250 mg
    Rhodiola Extract (root) 200 mg

As you can see, this product uses a 5G BCAA 2:1:1 ratio, which is pretty standard, some BCAA's I've used in the past were even more loaded than this, having both more BCAA's and a higher ratio, but 5G 2:1:1 is standard. Often times I doubled up on the dose with this product.

The unique thing about this product, is it contains "Wellmune" and "Rhodiola Extract" - 2 ingredients I dont think I've seen before.. but what are they?

Wellmune is said to boost immune health and promote the immune system. Hard to say if this worked or not, as it's hard to reall feel the effect of this.. Last year I have to say was an awful year for me immune wise, I got sick every other month it seemed, twice I needed to go to doctor and have antibiotics. However recent times I've had great immune health, as I went as long as 5 months without even getting a cold.. Ironically while I was at the end of my container here my 5 month streak ended as I got a very slight and minor headcold, while using this "Immune boosting product".

Rhodiola Extract is said to increase mental focus and stimulate the brain but I didnt feel any extra focus at all, and infact I've been pretty forgetful lately during the time I happened to be uing this product.

I had the watermelon flavor, with dosing being 1 (10G) scoop. The product mixed very well, and tasted okay, a bit on the bitter side, but overall tasted pretty good.

I used this product as an intra workout. It was okay, it didn't really make or break my workouts, and from what I mentioned earlier, the Wellmune and Rhodiola didnt really do anything for me. This product wasn't special in the gym, and was about an average BCAA product. Didn't really do anything special for me, and my workouts would of been the same if I used any other BCAA product.

28 servings for $29.99. That's an okay value, I feel you can get better BCAA's for around the same price or even better if theres a promotion. So this is a product i'd really only get if the deal was right and it had a special going on it or something.

Side Effects

None to report.

Conclusion

Overall okay product, nothing special about this one. I've used better BCAA products than this one, but for a free bounty product, or if it has a special going that totally beats other products price wise, then this is a BCAA product that you can settle for.
    • Watermelon: 7/10