GlycoMaize has been reported as discontinued.

Check out the top-ranked products in Energy Supplements > Carbohydrates

GlycoMaize Reviews

By: Optimum

Energy Supplements > Carbohydrates
GlycoMaize is a Carbohydrate Product manufactured by Optimum. It is designed to provide the body with the vital macronutrient carbohydrates which is used as fuel to help performance as well as improve muscle recovery.

GlycoMaize has been reported as discontinued.

Check out the top-ranked products in Energy Supplements > Carbohydrates

November 2, 2012

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Mixes Well
  • Very Messy
So, just finished my first tub of glycomaize by ON. Really enjoyed the supplement and found it does what it says on the tin.

Value - 9/10
Picked it up for €24.99 at the major supplement shop near me, here in Ireland. 50c a serving is great value and can't see it being beaten.

Effectiveness - 10/10
I wanted to use this product post training to spike my insulin levels and also help with recovery after sport and found it great. Depending on how tough the session was, I could either higher or lower the dosage.

Taste + Mixability - 7/10
People have mentioned the slight chalky taste that people got at the start. To be honest I didn't have any issue with that and didn't really notice it. I actually found that it thickened up my post workout shake and made it more like a milkshake as I like to add a lot of water. The major gripe I had with the product was how messy it was. It was a pain to throw a scoop or two into a shaker. The powder seems to just hang in the air like a disease and catches onto anything in sight. All over clothes, counter tops and the tub itself. It was a nuisance.

Overall 8.5/10
If it wasn't for the messiness, I'd have no issue with the product. It does what it says it'll do. Helped greatly with recovery and also helped me keep a bit a size at a hectic time of the season

Cheers,
Oisín

August 22, 2012

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Mixes Well
  • Great Recovery
  • Messy
Just finished my first tub of this today so i thought i would write a review on it.

Glycomaize: Waxy maize starches are long-chain, highly-branched, exceptionally-dense complex carbohydrates that are rapidly absorbed. Trehalose is a much smaller, slower-digesting molecule comprised of two unusually linked glucose sugars. Together, these carbohydrates provide immediate and intermediate energy, top-off glycogen stores, and aid with nutrient absorption.

TASTE/MIXABILITY: (10) It is unflavored but it does make your protein very chaulky wichh perosnally I really like. It mixes easy but i would say to make sure you have your liquids in first or it will clump and be harder to mix. It is very messy out of the container but dont worry everyone else has that problem too with this.

EFFECTIVENESS: (9) I work graveyard (10pm-8am)so my body is a bit thrown off from the norm. I noticed huge increase in recovery time than with just protein alone and made my life much better at work since i am on my feet for ten hours a night. It made my muscles feel and look more full which was awesome. This was great too for some added carbs in the morning to get my day going.

VALUE: (10) i got the 75 serving tub for around $30 on bodybuilding.com which is less than 50 cents a day and can last more than a month even with 2 servings a day.

OVERALL: (9) This is a product i would recommend to anyone that doesnt like being sore for days and days after a hard workout and i think it really helps for nice clean carbs. This is definitely in my supplement stack all the time now.

July 22, 2012

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Mixes Well
  • Messy
When it comes to a post-workout carbohydrate supplement ON Glyco-Maize gets the job done. It is a very effective product with a very pretty price tag.

Vaule 10/10
This product gets the perfect score simply because you cant beat 6.6 lbs for 20$. It gives you a whopping 75 servings which is hard to beat. Before Glyco-Maize I was using 1st Phorm's Ignition post-workout which had around 21 servings for 12$. With Glyco-Maize, you get what you need and thats it. 35g of carbohydrates consisting of Waxy Maize Starch for immediate insulin response and Trehalose for sustained energy. It also has 3g of sugar.

Mixability 9/10
Glyco-Maize is very shaker friendly, I mix it with water and a isolate protein and I have had no problems with clumping at all. My only advice is to not put it in before you add the water or else it sticks to the bottom, this takes forever to unhinge. Regardless of that it mixes well and digests well. The only downsides of this product I must say is that it is very messy coming out of the container, and that it adds a waxy taste to your drink. Don't let that discourage you though, you get used to it after the first use.

Effectiveness 9/10
Glyco-Maize is a strong contender when it comes to a carbohydrate supplement. It does exactly what is meant to do, give you energy and speed up recovery time. I usually take this product about 1 hour after working out to maximize natural Human Growth Hormone levels in the blood. Glyco-Maize helps with spiking insulin levels to speed up recovery and reduce the amount of cortisol on the blood stream. I have noticed a reduced amount of recovery time and a increase in muscle strength in the past month.

Taste 8.5/10
ON claims that this product is flavorless, but it adds a waxy texture to your post-workout drink. But as I said before you get used to it after the first use.

Overall 9/10
ON has given the market a cheap carbohydrate supplement that everyone can enjoy. With 35g of carbohydrates and only 3g of sugar, you can rest easy that this product will help you with recovery, as well as boosting glycogen stores for gains.

March 19, 2012

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Mixes Well
  • Messy
I was in need of a carbohydrate drink and decided to buy Glyco-Maize, and let me tell you I was VERY pleased.

Taste: 9/10 - I feel it could be a perfect 10 only because its not flavored but you do taste a little chalky kinda texture taste but its barely, barely noticeable. I mix it with Dark Matter and it taste great.

Mixing: 9/10 - Like i previously said, you do taste this chalky kind of texture but it mixes perfect. It is kinda messy and looks like a drug deal went bad on my counter when i put it in my shaker lol.

Effectiveness: 10/10 - I like this product a lot, plain and simple. With 2 scoops of this (70g Carbs) and a scoop of Dark Matter im able to get 100g Carbs in my post workout shake which boosts recovery and replenishes nutrition in the muscles.

Value: 10/10 - This is very few products I would give a perfect 10 for value. I payed around $20 for a 6lb. tub on IllPumpYouUp.com and it has 75 servings per scoop! I dont take this on off days so you're saving even more days to use this.

Overall: 10/10 A++ Perfect 10 for me. I love Glyco-Maize and would really recommend this to anyone who has trouble getting enough carbs in after they workout or anytime during the day really.. It'll take the taste on whatever you mix it with and its smooth.

November 30, 2011

• Very Messy
I have gone through many tubs of this stuff while bulking over the past couple of years. Yes I know there are much cheaper ways to get your postworkout carbs in, but when im feeling lazy on a bulk this stuff does shine for me and is very convenient. I use this in the morning on rest days for added calories and extra sustained energy. And on workout days I throw it in my postworkout protein shake to help replenish glycogen stores. Optimum has a great reputation and this product did deliver for me.

Profile: (9/10) Very simple: Waxy Maize Starch, Trehalose, Carbogen®
-35 grams of concentrated carbohydrates per scoop (140 cals)
-Packed with fast-acting, high-molecular weight Waxy Maize StarchTrehalose for intermediate energy
-Trehalose for intermediate energy!
-Contains Carbogen digestive enzymes to enhance utilization
-Unflavored

Mixability: (7/10) Very messy outside of the container with tons of spillage if you are not very carful. With a few twist of a spoon this stuff dissolved well, sometimes however there is some sludge at the bottom. This problem is easily fixed with more liquid.

Taste: (9/10) I love that this is unflavored, goes well with any protein flavor I am using. It does change the texture of the shake obviously. Its hard to explain but it is thicker. I enjoy it a lot.

Energy: (9/10) Obviously this isn't a caffeinated pre workout type of energy, but I did notice nice quality energy off this product. On both workout and non workout days this helped me get to my mid morning snack without ever feeling sluggish or tired.

Pump: (9/10) Maybe "pump" isn't the right word, but this product did help my muscles look and feel full throughout the day. For me this was a noticeable difference.

Value: (8/10) 50 servings for $21.99 at Vitamin Shoppe, to me that's a good deal. Like I said I know there are other cheaper alternatives such as blending up oats, chocolate syrup, and/or just eating some slices of bread but at about $0.44 a serving you can't go wrong.

Overall Effectiveness: (9/10) This is a very versatile product. Can be used for many reasons including after workout replenishment, non workout day energy source, and/or is a great addition to a self made weight gainer shake. Overall the biggest turn on is the fact that it is made by a very reputable and trusted company, and that this is unflavored. This has really helped me bulk up.

October 23, 2011

• Very Messy
This is a very high quality carbohydrate supplement from the folks at Optimum Nutrition. There have been very few products I have tried from ON that I did not like, and this one was no slouch. Mostly everyone here on this site knows the importance of post-workout fast carbs in your protein shake, which if you don't is something I highly recommend looking into it.

Dosage: I would mix one scoop of Glycomaize with about 30 grams of Dextrose in my post workout shake.

Profile(9/10): One scoop offers 35 grams of carbs featuring waxy maize, which is one of the fastest absorbing carbs around, and trehalose as an intermediate carb source. Also included in this product is a digestive enzyme complex to help increase utilization. This is an ideal product to be throwing into your shake post workout with all the elements that it offers.

Mixability/Taste(7/10): The one negative that I will point out in this product is that it is terribly messy, it gets everywhere. It "powder missiles" like a mofo, and just seems to find it's way all over your counter, your hands, your clothes, ect. It's also very sticky, which is just the nature of the beast with waxy maize. Also at first, I could definitely tell the chalky taste in my protein, but that seemed to subside over time. Once you manage to get it out of the container and into your shaker cup though it is a great product.

Effectiveness(9/10): This product is a great way to help you feel replenished and energized after your workout on top of the nutritional benefits it offers. No hard crashes for me, which is helpful when you are using high stim pre-workout supplements.

Value(9/10): At 21 dollars for a large container which contains 75 servings, works out to a modest 28 cents a serving. Which when you consider all that you are getting with this product and the benefits it offers, is a great deal.

Conclusion: This is a great carb/energy supplement that is very affordable. Not a lot to not love about this product, I highly recommend it.

January 1, 2011

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Mixes Well
  • Very Messy
As with most ON products; if you're looking for effective, relatively inexpensive supplements, this is a great way to go! I've been stacking Glyco-Maize with my pre & post-workout protein shakes and have noticed great mass gains, quicker recoveries, and sustained energy. The downfall is that this is a messy product and you really need a strong grasp on your fitness goals before introducing it to your diet. If you're shooting for a very lean, cut physique you may want to explore other options.

August 8, 2010

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Mixes Well
  • Messy
This product is nice and extremely effective, It's an extremely fast absorbing carb that I would recommend it for bulking. I'm on my 5 tub of this product and I've gone from my skinny muscles to nice bulky muscles. I haven't gain any weight while on it. I take it before and after my workout mixed with my 100% Optimum nutrition whey protein. It's a bit messy so watch out when you are mixing it. You get your money's worth at a good value for the amount. It has 35-40grams of carb per-serving, low sugar and best of all it has no taste.

May 19, 2010

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Mixes Well
  • Very Messy
Just went through my 2nd tub of Glyco-Maize. I used this exclusively for post-workout and mixed it with Hydro Whey. I ran 1.5 scoops of Glyco-Maize and 1 scoop of Hydro Whey, which breaks out to about 50 Carbs and 30 Protein.

This product is a mixture of Waxy Maize and Trehalose. WMS is a complex carb that are rapidly absorbed and Trehalose is a slower-digesting carb. Gives you both immediate energy and WMS shuttles the protein to the muscles and trehalose gives sustained energy with no crash. Making it ideal for post-workout recovery shakes.

Overall 9: I felt a definately increase in recovery time vs. just a standard whey shake without carbs. I used to run Hydro-Whey alone without carbs and the inclusion of the Glyco-Maize definately helped. Much less soreness if you typically have DOMS after serious splits.

Value 8: This product is relatively inexpensive, although it isn't as cheap as I would expect for just a carb product.

Effectiveness 9: Very effective to support recovery. This is my favorite carb product to add to shakes, if you make your own. No crash, sustained energy, less soreness.

Taste 8: Doesn't really have a taste, but you can notice a slight chalky taste in your shake. Like anything you get used to it and don't mid it at all.

To end, this product is highly recommended for anyone looking to make their own post-workout shake and needing a solid carb product.

I have now switched to Aftershock for post-workout recovery and will give that a honest shake for a couple months.