Glutamine Powder Reviews

By: Optimum

Glutamine Powder is a Glutamine Supplement manufactured by Optimum. It contains glutamine which is the most abundant amino acid found in muscle tissue; It helps support lean muscle gain.

Overall
(SR paid for product; Optimum did not participate)
  May 18, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Effective
  • Better Immune System

Glutamine is a product I like to have once in awhile to help with some extra recovery, help with digestion, and help with your immune system.

First off I want to thank the SR team clipper83 for putting this product on the trooper list for us to try. This was not put on the trooper list by Optimum and had no part in the trooper program. This is something I like to try and keep in my workout stacks from time to time. It had been awhile since I last used a glutamine product and saw this show up and decided to give it a try. Every time I have used a glutamine product I have had good results from it and this product I know really helped me a lot.

In this you get 5g of glutamine per serving. This is made from pure L-Glutamine. Glutamine is a form of amino acid.

The comes in an unflavored powder form. It really helps if you can mix this with some kind of flavored beverage or with your protein powder. When you mix this with a flavored beverage it did not change much of the taste so you knew it was in there. There were times I would take this on it's own. When I would take 1 teaspoon I would put it in my mouth and then wash it down with some water. I thought it would be real bitter or sour tasting but it was not to bad. If there was any left over after taste I would just drink a little more water and that would get rid of that after taste right away.

This mixed really well. I would normally mix this with my protein shake. I wanted to take at least two servings per day. In the morning when I would wake up I would take one scoop and then later in the day after my workout I would take my second serving. So each day I was getting 10g total plus the little extra I was getting from my protein shake.

Glutamine is a product I like to use every once in awhile. I really feel this is a much better product than a lot of people think it is. There are three main areas glutamine is suppose to help you in. Glutamine helps with muscles health, gastrointestinal health, and immune health. I found this to really help me a lot in those three areas. After being on this for awhile I noticed my muscles started to look more full like and seemed to be a little harder than normal. I noticed while I was using this that I was not nearly as sore and I felt I was recovering a lot quicker than I normal would. Any DOM'S I would get where really limited and did not last as long. The reason I felt better recovery wise is because this is suppose to help with cell volumizing to help push more water into the cells which is suppose to help speed up your recovery time. I notice that every time I have been off glutamine for awhile and then start using it again I can really tell right away I am back on it. The biggest thing I notice right away is that my strength gains start going up right away. For the first few weeks I was on this I got a lot of really good strength gains and I felt I was able to go longer and push my body a little harder. Getting those strength gains back is really nice to have and how it makes me feel better recovery wise.

Second this is suppose to help with gastrointestinal health. I am not someone that has a lot of issues with glut health but do have some issues with acid reflux that I take medication for. Also I sometimes I have issues with swallowing food. I feel this really helped reduce a lot of gut issues I may of had and helped limit a lot of the acid reflux I deal with. I feel that I have been having a lot easier time swallowing food and a lot less acid reflux. I know that when food would hit my stomach it felt like it passed through more quickly and not feel like it wanted to just sit there for long periods of time before it would fully digest. Also I noticed that in the mornings especially I would seem to have a lot more bowl movements and were a lot more healthy like. Each time it seemed like I would get rid of a lot more stuff than I normal would and it would make it a lot easier to go.

Third this is suppose to help with your immune system. Anything I can take that will help with my immune system is great to have. Usually in the winter time is when I most want to be on glutamine because that is when you are most likely to get colds or the flu. Even now in later spring I can sometime still get that little bit of unwanted colds or some kind of crud. I still feel this helped improve my immune system some just by how I seemed to feel. It's harder for me to tell at this time of year compared to winter time because that is when you usually get most of your colds and flu. I was reading that when a person gets sick they can lose up to 58% plasma glutamine levels and these levels have shown to last up to three weeks. When this happens your muscle performance can really suffer from this and not perform at 100%.

While taking this I felt a lot better overall and a little more healthy. In the three areas this is suppose to help you in I feel it really helps a lot. Like I said above that when I start using glutamine again I can really notice it working right away but then after a few weeks of using it I don't seem to notice it as much. This always seems to happen every time I use glutamine and why I don't know. It's like my body get's use to it and need to cycle off it again. I still keep using it even when I don't feel it as much because I still feel it helps me but just not on the strength gains part. Also I read this helps prevent catabolism and helps with protein metabolism. The faster protein uptake you get means quicker protein synthesis.

The cheapest I could find this was on amazon and they wanted $18.04 for the 300g size bottle which has 58 servings in it. Since I was take two servings a day this last me like 30 days. That's not to bad a price. I would if your going to get this go with the bigger size bottles they have because price wise will be a little better deal.

Side Effects

Nothing I noticed.

Conclusion

Glutamine I feel is a good product to use when you are able to use it. Do I think you need to be on it all the time no but it is nice to have at times when you can cycle it into your workout stacks. If you are someone that wants to feel a little better health wise and get some better recovery this is great to have for those two reasons. Also if you have a weaker immune system or want to make sure your immune system is working better especially in those winter months this will really help to improve that a lot more. For the price and what you get out of glutamine I think it's really worth having at times when you can add it. I feel overall that glutamine is a much better product than a lot of people give it credit for. Maybe I am just someone that responds better to it than a lot of other people and that might be the reason some don't think it works very well. For me glutamine has always worked great for me. Again I want to give a big shout out to Clipper83 for putting this product on the trooper program and letting me have the chance to try it.

February 12, 2013

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Good Profile
    • Effective
    • Reduces Soreness
      hey guys, I have been taking Glutamine powder on and off.. Over the past couple months I have made it a staple and more consistent.

Reason:
      I have put on some good lean muscle on over the past year and I have come to realize the more you have the more you have to do to preserve.

Taste: 8/10
      Glutamine always has that nutty taste to it, I always add extra to my Whey shakes during the day and also in my intra workout Xtend.

Mix-ability: 7/10
      If I add it to my Xtend it sits on the bottom, will need to keep shaking bottle to mix it through. In saying that it works out perfect because I sip on xtend during workouts which has 2.5g glutamine in it anyway. The last bit i save towards the end when I am about to jump on cardio machine and skull it down with a good hit of glutamine powder to keep me anabolic throughout my 20-30min cardio session post workout.

With my body I have come to realize Glutamine reduces my soreness, and keeps my immune system strong. Whenever I feel like a cold coming on I start taking high doses 50g Glutamine a day and it really helps boost my immune system and I feel great.

Uses:
      Whey shakes / protein pancakes / intra workout / pre cardio empty stomach in mornings / when feeling sick / pre cardio / before bed extra in casein shake.
      I dose it according to my workload, body part worked etc.

Happy? yes, like I said for my body Glutamine works fantastic.

August 8, 2011

Pros:
       Cons:
      • Effective
      • Reduces Soreness
        I Originally joined this website to find a product that would help me with recovery. Over the past year (I'm turning 30 in the next year), I have noticed that I was having problems recovering after workouts. I tend to stick to heavy lifting, and the soreness would carry over in to my next workout and effect it adversely. My goal was to find something that I could just throw in to my post workout shake. I was not interested in pills just because I have a "weak stomach" and have historically never reacted well to them. I figured I'd give this product a shot just because it seemed to be basic and affordable.

Price: I got this product for a little over $10 on AllStarHealth.com. In my books thats a great deal.

Mixability: I tend to mix this with my post workout or pre bed shake of Sytha6 and water. It mixes perfect and you do not even notice it is there.

Taste: As far as I know it doesnt have a distinct taste.

Effectiveness: After over a month of usage, I am extremely pleased with the product. I have noticed quicker recovery, and because of that, better gains. I lift with my brother in law, who is 10 years younger than me, and have had him complain about soreness when i'm feeling great.

Overall, I would say to give it a try because its effective and as basic as you can get.

December 12, 2010

Pros:
         Cons:
        • Good Profile
        • Effective
        • Reduces Soreness
          Don't understand why this has such a low rating (6.5 at the time)...

I love this product, easily one of my favorites that I will be using time and time again.

Profile: Optimum is a great company, great image, great products. Great label. Contains 5 grams of pure L-Glutamine per serving. The recommend to mix one rounded teaspoon with 8oz of water or favorite beverage. Simple, and effective.

Price: 10/10. I grabbed the 1000 gram container for about 35 dollars. Runs 200 servings, which to me is helluva deal. Even if you had it everyday it would last you 6+ months.

Taste: Dependant. Product comes unflavored, but I really recommend mixing it with milk, Gatorade, Vitamin Water, anything that is flavored. Mixing it in just water left an awkward taste and texture that I would have to power chug my way through.

Mixability: 10/10. Mixes quick and easy, stir/shake for 30 seconds and you are all set.

Effectiveness: 10/10. Just great! I sometimes have this twice a day, but always about an hour before bedtime w/ Soy Milk. Does exactly what it's supposed to, reduces my soreness the next day. Which leaves me feeling confident that I can always go hard in the gym knowing I'll be okay the coming days. I easily noticed the difference when I first purchased the product and started using it vs. just my after workout shake, which only had 2 grams of Glutamine.

Overall: 10/10. Simple, effective product. Doesn't get more bare bones than that. Great price, plenty of servings, from a great company, this is the only product I'll use when all I'm looking for is just Glutamine.