Cake Bites Reviews

Overall
6.6
6.4

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Comes In Three Bites
  • Dyes
  • Protein Bar Aftertaste
  • Sucralose
  • Protein Texture

Optimum Nutrition's Cake bites may not be as advertised but they are still a decent option when compared to other protein bars.

This product has interested me since it first came out but i never pulled the trigger to buy them. My local Walmart has them and i finally bought a few boxes to try these out. The uniqueness about these particular "bites" comes in the fact that they supposed to be like little bites of cake and they are stated to have a whipped inside. I did buy them skeptical of the texture because ive never had a soft, whipped protein bar yet. Due to this i wasnt as surprised when they wernt as advertised. If you go into buying these thinking they will be like other bars than you wont be disappointed.

The macros on these depend on flavor; they all have some variance within the fat content but protein does stay the same. I will be writing this based on the birthday cake flavor.

Fat: 7g
Sat Fat: 4g

Total Carbohydrate: 25g
Dietary Fiber: 0g
Total Sugar: 5g

Protein: 20g

The protein is a blend of milk protein concentrate, milk protein isolate, and whey isolate. These bars do contain sucrose and they do contain artificial flavors so if your looking for a clean bar than i would not recommend this.

The taste of these bites is decent. I bought the birthday cake ones and they are defiantly edible. The flavor tastes more like a sugary vanilla to me but it is still enjoyable. I had no problem eating them to satisfy a sweet tooth. I believe they would be better if they stayed true to the whipped inside. The bites are nothing like advertised as you can see in the pictures. The package shows a white icing with a fluffy looking inside. The actual bites are like a normal protein bar, just chopped into bites. They were the tough, doughy like texture you see with many. As for as dosing, i took a package to me on most days that i went to class. This offered me the perfect, convenient snack to have during a lecture but to still stay somewhat nutritious.

This product was used to offer a guilty pleasure against a sweet tooth while still increasing protein consumption. This is a great bar for just that. The effectiveness is hard to pinpoint because it is used to just increase protein. With an overall increase in protein consumption i feel better recovery, less DOMS, more power in the gym, etc but this cannot be pointed at just this supplement.
These cake bites should be looked at as a replacement for food. If you are a big snacker and take chips or candy to work or around the house than it would be beneficial to start keeping these and snack on these instead of the candy, chips, etc. With that being said, i would not say these could be eaten all the time if weight loss is a goal. While the macros arnt awful there are 25g of carbs and 8g of fat each package and they could start to add up if multiple are eaten in a day.

The value changes quite a bit depending on where you buy them. When i purchased them it was at Walmart and i got them 4/7$. This is not the best deal you can get at all but i had a sweet tooth and wanted some so i did. Online you can find the better deals such as on Bestpricenutrition.com (12/ 19.99$). This comes out to around $1.67 which is average for the usual protein bar. I believe this is a decent price point for what you get.

Side Effects

No side effects were seen while i took these.

Conclusion

In conclusion, these bars may not be the greatest but they did not fall completely. If used to replace a snack that was previously bad than these would be good to replace that. I may give another shot to a different flavor but there are better options out there.
  • Birthday Cake: 7/10

• dmf8625
    November 1, 2018

On this and any future food items, you may also want to include some information or reference to the fat and carb sources in the ingredient profile section; not just the protein sources.

• Admin
    November 1, 2018

Nice review Stevenz, its a shame they aren't as advertised but still sound like a good snack. Please do let us know if you try a different flavor.

• DaSlaya
    November 1, 2018

I tried these last year and was not a big fan myself. I had the Birthday Cake and Red Velvet, but I think the consistency bothered me for some reason, which is kind of out of character for me. My wife loved them though, maybe I did not have a big enough sweet tooth. Great review!