Cake Bites Reviews

By: Optimum

Cake Bites is a Protein Bar manufactured by Optimum. It is a quick, conveinient source of protein and commonly used as a meal replacement. The additional protein can help increase muscle mass as well as promote fat loss.

6.6
6.4
  November 1, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Comes In Three Bites
  • Protein Bar Aftertaste
  • Sucralose
  • Dyes
  • Protein Texture

Optimum Nutrition's Cake bites may not be as advertised but they are still a decent option when compared to other protein bars.

This product has interested me since it first came out but i never pulled the trigger to buy them. My local Walmart has them and i finally bought a few boxes to try these out. The uniqueness about these particular "bites" comes in the fact that they supposed to be like little bites of cake and they are stated to have a whipped inside. I did buy them skeptical of the texture because ive never had a soft, whipped protein bar yet. Due to this i wasnt as surprised when they wernt as advertised. If you go into buying these thinking they will be like other bars than you wont be disappointed.

The macros on these depend on flavor; they all have some variance within the fat content but protein does stay the same. I will be writing this based on the birthday cake flavor.

Fat: 7g
Sat Fat: 4g

Total Carbohydrate: 25g
Dietary Fiber: 0g
Total Sugar: 5g

Protein: 20g

The protein is a blend of milk protein concentrate, milk protein isolate, and whey isolate. These bars do contain sucrose and they do contain artificial flavors so if your looking for a clean bar than i would not recommend this.

The taste of these bites is decent. I bought the birthday cake ones and they are defiantly edible. The flavor tastes more like a sugary vanilla to me but it is still enjoyable. I had no problem eating them to satisfy a sweet tooth. I believe they would be better if they stayed true to the whipped inside. The bites are nothing like advertised as you can see in the pictures. The package shows a white icing with a fluffy looking inside. The actual bites are like a normal protein bar, just chopped into bites. They were the tough, doughy like texture you see with many. As for as dosing, i took a package to me on most days that i went to class. This offered me the perfect, convenient snack to have during a lecture but to still stay somewhat nutritious.

This product was used to offer a guilty pleasure against a sweet tooth while still increasing protein consumption. This is a great bar for just that. The effectiveness is hard to pinpoint because it is used to just increase protein. With an overall increase in protein consumption i feel better recovery, less DOMS, more power in the gym, etc but this cannot be pointed at just this supplement.
These cake bites should be looked at as a replacement for food. If you are a big snacker and take chips or candy to work or around the house than it would be beneficial to start keeping these and snack on these instead of the candy, chips, etc. With that being said, i would not say these could be eaten all the time if weight loss is a goal. While the macros arnt awful there are 25g of carbs and 8g of fat each package and they could start to add up if multiple are eaten in a day.

The value changes quite a bit depending on where you buy them. When i purchased them it was at Walmart and i got them 4/7$. This is not the best deal you can get at all but i had a sweet tooth and wanted some so i did. Online you can find the better deals such as on Bestpricenutrition.com (12/ 19.99$). This comes out to around $1.67 which is average for the usual protein bar. I believe this is a decent price point for what you get.

Side Effects

No side effects were seen while i took these.

Conclusion

In conclusion, these bars may not be the greatest but they did not fall completely. If used to replace a snack that was previously bad than these would be good to replace that. I may give another shot to a different flavor but there are better options out there.
  • Birthday Cake: 7/10

August 3, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Comes In Three Bites
  • Protein Bar Aftertaste
  • Sucralose
  • Dyes

I am always willing to try different protein bars especially when they have a unique twist. So, after seeing several ads for the Optimum Nutrition Cake Bites I wanted to try them. So, here is the review of a box of birthday cake flavored bites.

For the ingredient section, I am going to focus on the birthday cake flavor as that is the box I had. Just bear in mind that each flavor of the product has slightly different macros. The birthday cake flavor has 240 calories, 7g of fat (4g of saturated fat), 25g of carbohydrates, and 20g of protein. The protein source is a blend of milk protein concentrate, whey protein isolates, and milk protein isolates. The main thing I want to mention is this bar as many ingredients that are typical of standard protein bars. So, if someone was looking for a more" natural" bar similar to Luna, EPIC, or Strong Bars I would look elsewhere. While the cake bites, bars are great they have many artificial ingredients including dyes and sucralose. Personally, this is not an issue for me and I will most likely buy the product again.

I had a box of the birthday cake flavor and some individual bars of the red velvet flavor and both were quite good. Each individual package comes with three bites with all of them being a serving. They are about the size of a peppermint patty but a lot thicker. The birthday cake bite has sprinkles on the outside while the red velvet is solid white. The birthday cake has a distinct vanilla flavor when you first bite into it followed by a good representation of a cake flavor. I will note that the texture is very reminiscent of a protein bar. The box says that they are whipped but this did not seem the case to me. As for the red velvet, they have a white exterior with a red color inside. These had a similar texture and vanilla taste that the birthday cake bites had. However, they did have that simulated red velvet taste. Both were quite good but I think I prefer the birthday cake and any future boxes I order will be of those. I will note that these do have that protein bar aftertaste. Overall, they were quite good and I enjoyed them. As far as dosing goes, I usually just had a package a day but it depended on my macros. I do like how they come in three bites so I could always save some bites for later in the day.

It is a challenge to rate the effectiveness of these as I only had one box. In addition, I look at protein bars and powders as food so noting a difference is difficult. I will say that having replaced a protein shake with these I did not notice a decrease in my baseline performance. This leads me to believe that this is an effective protein supplement. In previous reviews, I have mentioned that I will go the gym then to the park to run. I enjoyed having these so I could eat them on the way to the park. I noticed more energy than with my regular protein shake I would do. I figure that is probably due to the carbohydrates in the product. I felt like I was able to run a little longer and had a little more energy in reserve when I finished.

Optimum Nutrition markets these as a "sensible snack" and that is where I think the product is most effective. Before I started tracking my macros my biggest issue, was night eating and snacking. Once I began to track my macros, it was hard at times to not fall back into that routine of snacking/night eating. Using the Optimum Nutrition cake bites helped quite a bit. The main reason was they are split into three small servings. So, what I would is spilt up the bites and save some later in the day when I would want to eat past my macros. Since these were already portioned and factored into my daily macro totals, they were fine to eat and curbed my hunger. This is the major reason that I would buy these again and I think for this purpose they are definitely worth trying.

In terms of value, these retail for $19.99 for 12 packs making them $1.67 per serving. However, I have seen these on sale quite a lot and currently on bodybuilding.com, they are 20% off making them $15.99 per box or $1.33 per serving. At this price, it is definitely worth it especially since one serving is portion to the three bites. In the past when I tried to portion regular protein, bars I would just end up eating the whole thing with these I did not. Comparing these to other bars, they are cheaper as most bars retail for $24.99 for 12 making them $2.08 per serving. FIT Crunch, OhYeah!, MyBar and several others are $24.99. I think the value is definitely high with the Optimum Nutrition Cake Bites.

Side Effects

I had no side effects while taking this product.

Conclusion

Optimum Nutrition Cake Bites are a unique take on the protein bar. The macros I felt were adequate for my needs but be aware that some flavors differ. They taste quite good but do have a protein bar aftertaste. They were most effective for curbing hunger as a small snack since each serving is split into three bites. In terms of value, they are cheaper than most protein bars and are frequently on sale. These are definitely worth a try if you are looking to try something different in the protein bar category.

-Xcmiler
  • Birthday Cake: 8/10