2:1:1 Recovery Reviews

By: Optimum

2:1:1 Recovery is a Post-Workout Protein Supplement manufactured by Optimum. It is designed to feed the muscles with protein, carbs and amino acids immedaitely following a workout to assist in muscle recovery and growth.

October 16, 2013

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Less Soreness Next Day
  • Find On Sale
  • No Creatine
I have always considered ON to be number 1 brand when it comes to powder and since recovery supplements are my favorite type I didn't hesitate to buy 2 containers of this stuff regardless the high cost.

Profile 9/10:

Total Carbohydrate 35 g
Sugars 18 g
Protein 17 g

Everything is based on the 2:1:1 ratio

Carbs: Glucose polymers, fructose, sucrose, Waxy maize starches with a ratio 2:1 Simple sugars (Glucose polymers, fructose, sucrose) to waxy waxy maize.

Protein: 2:1:1 ratio ((2)Hydrolyzed whey isolate, (1)micellar casein, (1)Egg albumen)

BCAAs (5g): 2:1:1 ratio ((2) L-leucine, (1) L-isoleucine, (1) L-valine

And a 2:1 ratio carbs to protein.

ON claimed this scientifically studied combination is very effective and I totally agree regarding the results I got.

The only thing I can criticize is the absence of creatine that some find it to be an advantage since they cut on and off. Personally I only cut in the last couple weeks of my cutting phase when I never use a high carbs supplement.

Usage: 2 scoops immediately after training.

Taste : 9/10

I had the mango and it was really delicious and tastes like juice but leaves me sometimes with bloated stomach.

Mixability : 7/10

Needs a large amount of water(around 15 oz) and extended shake time but once done it mixes well with little to no residues.

This particular combination is made to spike insulin levels immediately and maximize nutrients absorption while getting most of the basic ingredients for muscle growth and recovery so the result should be less soreness and bigger muscles.

Soreness reduction: 7/10

To be honest I had higher expectation concerning this issue. At that time I was training real hard with free weights most of the time with little rest and to failure. I felt better the next day still sore but not to a point that really affects the next workout. The period of soreness was also reduced to only one day except for legs and chest (2-3 days).

Muscle building: 9.5/10

This is where this product amazed me. I was gaining mass fast and everybody around me started to notice and telling i am having the fastest gains they saw me making and I agree with everyone who said that since the mirror told the same story and the difference in my shoulders, arms, chest, back, and legs was clear.
I gained 2.5 lbs of lean mass keeping the same bf% in 30 servings just to realize the quality even with 36 g of simple sugars and 34 g of fast acting carbs.

They have beat muscletech with the price! But at least I spent my money on something really effective.
I would have rated the value way to lower if it doesn't deserve the price and I believe it could be even cheaper.

Bodybuilders have one main goal: MUSCLE. This supplement helped me to achieve it straightforward so despite the high price I will use it again and again anytime I have the money and I recommend it to all serious lifters.

November 26, 2012

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Less Soreness Next Day
  • No Creatine
  • Outstanding Ingredient Profile
  • Not As Tired After Workout
  • Has Everything You Need
  • Mixes Well
  • Pricey But Understandably
About a month ago I reviewed Myogenix's Aftershock Recovery and mentioned trying this next. I was equally as satisfied with 2:1:1 as I was with Aftershock.

Profile:

2 scoops-
430 calories
1g Fat
70g Carbs
35g Protein
10g added BCAAs (on top of ones from protein)

The product really lives up to the name 2:1:1 as the BCAAs,Carbs, and Protein are all in 2:1:1 ratios:
BCAA- 2.5g Leucine, 1.75g IsoLeucine and Valine
Protein- 17.5g Hydrolyzed Whey, 8.75g Casein and Egg Albumen
Carbohydrates- 35g Glucose Polymers and Waxy Maize, 17.5g sucrose and fructose.

I had a great experience with 2:1:1. I felt good recovery from and felt less exhausted after my workouts (I'm assuming from the carbohydrates). In comparison to Myogenix Aftershock, I think the 35g of extra carbs in 2:1:1 made a huge difference between the two supplements. I used to just take around 30g of simple carbs post-workout, but after using 2:1:1 I think I will aim more for 50-70g because I felt like it was a lot easier to hit my macros which is always nice during a bulk. I would say other than immediate recovery, the overall recovery that assists with DOMS was about the same as I had with Aftershock. I felt minimal muscle soreness aside from my muscles feeling "tight" which I blame for forgetting to stretch. I also enjoyed how it didn't have any creatine in it so I can dose my own. Most of the post-workout supplements that I have looked into have creatine already in the powder.

Taste/Mixability: 8/10
A lot of reviews I read before buying 2:1:1 said that the Chocolate flavor was incredible. I think it's good, but nothing to really scream and shout about. It did mix incredibly well though.

Price: 8/10
This is definitely a product where you get what you pay for. It usually runs about $40 for 15 good servings. Running it at around 2.50 a serving. It is a bit pricey but you can sometimes find a good deal on it to get it for around $30.

2:1:1 really lives up to its reputation on SR. This is definitely a solid post-workout/recovery supplement and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a 1 tub post-workout solution. The only thing that would keep me from buying this again is the price. The only thing that allows me to finance a product like this is the fact that I'm in high school, living with my pops and working a full time job.

March 6, 2012

• Pricey But Understandably
Optimum Nutrition in one of the best in the game at protein formulas in my opinion, and 2:1:1 Recovery is another shining example of ON's great work. This is the first specialized post-workout supplement/protein that I have ever used, and I am very pleased with the results I got from this product.

Dosing: Two scoops 20-30 following workout.

Ingredients(10/10): I am very impressed with the mixture ON put together with this product. As the name would imply, it utilizes a 2:1:1 ratio in three main components: Amino Acids(2x Leucine, 1x Isoleucine, 1x Valine), Carbs(70 grams total per 2 scoops, 2x Glucose Polymers and Waxy Maize, 1x Sucrose, 1x Frucose), and Protein(35 grams total for 2 scoops, 2xHydrolyzed Whey Protein Isolate, 1x Micellar Casein, 1x Egg Albumen). What that all adds up to is one awesome product to chug after a long hard gym session. Everything you need to restore glycogen levels in muscles after workout and kick up protein and muscle synthesis is contained into one tub. This is an excellent product for people trying to bulk up and put on muscle. I put on a solid three pounds running two tubs back to back, which I am impressed with since I was eating at just over maitinence level calories and not on creatine.

Taste(7/10): I had the Colossal Chocolate flavor of this product, and it wasn't the greatest tasting thing I have ever tried. I did kind of have to try and force it down. A lot of people have raved about this flavor and I am a huge fan of chocolate flavored protein, but this one...ehhh, not so much.

Mixing(9/10): For as many ingredients this product contains I am surprised at how well it mixed up, no chunks, no lumps, small to negligible foaming, no left over residue.

Effectiveness(9.5/10): This may very well be the best thing I have taken post-workout. As mentioned before, I enjoyed some very decent gains in size while on 2:1:1.The recovery is also excellent with this product( it should be if it's in the title). The only thing I have tried thus far that's on this level is Hydrowhey w/dextrose and waxy maize. This is a product worth investing in for your post workout needs if you are bulking or on a recomp.

Value(8/10): This is a fairly expensive product, 30 scoops at $40 equals $1.33 a scoop, but to get the full effect you need two scoops so it is pricey. However if you can fit it into your budget I say it is absolutely worth trying.

Overall I am very pleased and happy with 2:1:1 Recovery, it is one of the best products I have used and it really delivers. Another win for ON, and a product I highly recommend.

September 5, 2011

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Less Soreness Next Day
  • Small Bottle
2:1:1 Recovery is one of my favourite post-workout products. I have consumed several bottles of it during my bulking phase and I have really liked it.

WHAT IS IT?
2:1:1 Recovery is a post-workout powder by Optimum Nutrition, with an Optimum ratio of quality nutrients inside:
-A 2:1:1 ratio of protein: hydrolyzed whey, miceller casein, and egg albumen
-A 2:1:1 ratio of quickly digesting carbs: glucose polymers, sucrose and fructose
-A 2:1:1 ratio of BCAA:s: leucine, isoleucine and valine.

The ingredients seem to be really good to assure a good recovery for a bodybuilder. However it does not contain any creatine, which I had to add in the mixture. However I wouldn't list that as a con, since it it could be better for someone trying to lose weight.

I personally used it for bulking up, but it might be actually better for recovery while cutting. It doesn't have too many carbs in it and therefore next I will try Optimums Aftermax which has more calories per serving.

TASTE AND MIXABILITY:
For the taste I had chocolate. I can honestly say that this the best tasting supplement I have ever tasted. It is something you would even drink just for the taste. The powder also mixes very well with water, there was no problems with that.

EFFECTIVITY:
It is hard to compare post-workout products since you don't see the effects right away. However, you can definitely feel that your muscles are less sore the next day. 2:1:1 Recovery has nutrients inside that are proven to work, so there is no arguing about that. 2:1:1 Recovery does help your muscles recover.

VALUE:
For the value I gave a 7 since the product is too expensive compared to the amount. If you are not a total lightweight you probably would use 2 servings after your workout like I did, in order to get 60g of carbs and 34g of protein. When used like this, a bottle only has 15 servings in it, making it's regular use quite expensive. I wish they would sell this in 10lb bags to have a better value.

OVERALL:
2:1:1 Recovery is a great product but quite expensive. It has good quality ingredients and the taste is great. I would probably recommend this rather to use while cutting and not bulking, like I did. I will for sure buy this again for my diet since it doesn't have too many calories and carbs in it. For my next bulking phase I will try something heavier.

August 4, 2011

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Less Soreness Next Day
  • Outstanding Ingredient Profile
    I have tried this product for almost six or seven months now without posting a review, honestly because i didn't know how to compare it to the things i have taken before because they seem to have worked well. However based on recent events i can now give a good review of the product.

2:1:1 Is a very good post workout recovery shake. I noticed how well it worked after i ran out and could not get to My Supplement Store to get some more. I work out about 4-5 times a week, keep it very consistent on what i do on what day and time. I also supplement regular protein and eat as well as i can, half good half bad. When i ran out of 211 i had to resort to just a simple protein shake after i finished my workout. I noticed the soreness the next day much more than i did when using 211 recovery. 211 has a great mix of proteins and carbs in the right proportions to help with recovery and fuel your muscles to actually use the protein for repair very efficiently. I definitely noticed the difference every day for the week or two i had to take a basic protein shake in physical feeling than when i had 211 to take post workout. Less soreness, while doing the same workouts = greater recovery and build. Also Optimum nutrition is a very well respected company and their products are also very clean. Consumer reports health did a breakdown of the leading 15 protein supplements last year and at bodybuilder doses (eg 2-3 servings a day) they contained more than daily toxic levels of cyanide lead arsenic and cadmium...Optimum whey was barely on the chart. That is also something to take into consideration. Optimum has good processing and there is a reason why they are the highest selling brand out there, and it isn't solely by word of mouth.
    I won't get into how it mixes or how it tastes because that really is irrelevant. If you are on this site you know that results matter and if taste is going to hold you back then there is pretty much no hope for you.
    Anyway i hope you got some valuable info.

June 21, 2011

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Less Soreness Next Day
    • Pricey But Understandably
    2:1:1 Recovery, after finishing two tubs of this supplement, I believe I owe it a review.

I purchased this while looking for a new Post Work out Shake. Believing that this held the profile in which I desired, I put it in the bag and never looked back. This will be my Post shake until I beleive something better for me has come along.

Taste: 8
    Anything Chocolate from ON is a winner. Slightly more bitter than a straight protein, but this is simply from the amount of BCAA's that this delivers.

Effectiveness: 9
    While cycling off of Creatine and Animal Stak, I was able to not only hold my lean gains, but continue to build. The biggest impact was on how I felt after my workouts, and how I felt the next day. Accelerated recovery and less soreness were both achieved. I began to use this after hockey games as well as my workouts, and have never had faster recovery. A big plus at age 31. The profile is outstanding and out lined as follows.
    The science, the theory, and the results are in the name 2:1:1.
    Carb Ratio= 2:Glucose/Waxy Maize 1:Sucrose 1:Fructose.
    Protein Ratio= 2:Hydrolized Whey 1:Casien 1:Egg Albumem.
    BCCA Ratio= 2:Leucine 1:Isoleucine 1:Valine
    All bottom lined with a 2:1 Ratio of Carbohydrates to Protein. 2 scoops = 70g Carbs to 35g protein. All quality. Serving based upon body weight.

Mixibilty=8
    Shaker cup recomended, a little foam but nothing to deter, spoon stirred left a few clumps and a less desireable texture.

Value=8
    A little pricy maybe, but I do not confuse value with cheap. Average $2 per serving, which may seem like a lot, but not for the most important shake of the day, post. With all that is combined and offered in this supplement it is well worth it. All that I do wish is that there were bigger tubs. At my size, 190, a 3.7lb tub only offers 15 servings, requiring to scoops to equal a full serving.

Some may desire to make their own similar mixtures for post which makes sense. But for me, having the precise ingrediants of such purity and exact ratios are worth the minimal price difference. Looking for a solid Post Work Out staple, 2:1:1 is it.

June 4, 2011

• Pricey But Understandably
    Long time lurker and forum poster, first time reviewer. I lift weights 3 times a week and you could say I'm currently recomping, though I don't follow a strict plan. You can view my profile and see what other supplements are in my current stack.

I just finished a 3.73 lb. tub of this product (15 servings). Since it is creatine-free, I purchased it to use as a post-workout shake during my kre-alkalyn off cycle. I took 2 scoops (recommended serving) only after weight training, so at 3 weight sessions/week this tub lasted me 5 weeks. On to the review...

--Taste-- Rating: 8.5
    I had the Colossal Chocolate flavor. It wasn't the best tasting supplement I've used, but it was far from the worst. I always mixed 2 scoops with 16-20 oz. of water and I have no complaints on the taste. I didn't necessarily look forward to drinking it, but I never had a problem getting it down.

--Mixability-- Rating: 10
    I always mixed my serving in a GNC Blender Bottle with the little bedspring looking blender ball. I never had any issues with clumps or leftover chunks. Excellent mixability.

--Value-- Rating: 7
    This is the only con that I can give this product. I purchased this at a local Complete Nutrition for $45 (tax included). That's a whopping $3.00/serving. I could've found it cheaper online but I didn't want to deal with the hassle of shipping (I live in an apartment and I'm never there when they come to deliver so I end up having to Drive across town to pick things up at the UPS/FedEx warehouse).

--Effectiveness-- Rating: 9.5
    I'll split this into two categories, (1) reducing soreness, (2) growth/muscle gains
    (1) Reducing Soreness: Rating: 5- My soreness was never noticeably reduced when using this product. If I hit the gym hard (as I normally do) I would definitely be feeling it the next day. No supplement has ever reduced my soreness noticeably (including Gluta-lyn) so I wasn't expecting much in terms of reduced soreness. Therefore, I can't really knock this product for not producing in this category.
    (2) Growth/Muscle Gains: Rating- 10- This is where the product dominated and made it totally worth the high price. As stated earlier, I'm recomping so I'm not trying to add a ton of mass. I weigh myself first thing every morning and average it out at the end of the week. My scale also measures body fat and I know it's not totally accurate but it is still a decent benchmark to use. After finishing this tub, my body fat has remained relatively the same, while my weight has increased by 3 lbs. I can safely say this is 3 lbs. of lean mass. That doesn't seem like much, but considering I'm recomping and I'm not eating everything in sight, I was extremely happy with the results in 5 weeks time.

--Overall-- Rating: 9
    I would most definitely recommend this product to anyone looking to add lean mass. It's not ideal for someone on a cut since it has 430 calories and 70 carbs per serving, but for those bulking or recomping I cannot recommend this enough. While I did not experience decreased soreness while using this, others on the site have, so take that portion of my review with a grain of salt (everyone's body is different). I'm going to try a few other post-workout supplements in the coming weeks (including my 7-serving sample of ON's Platinum Hydrobuilder) but I think I'll be hard pressed to find another that delivers like 2:1:1 Recovery.

January 31, 2011

• Pricey But Understandably
    This is my first review, so bare with me. Optimum is a top 3 brand for me. This is by far my favorite and most effective product I take.

Taste- I got chocolate. It was amazing to say the least. I'd look forward to drinking this after my workout. It did have a grainy texture that I grew to love. Like every ON product it is delish.

Effectiveness- this is where this product shines. This is one product I can feel working instantly after taking. The next day after hardcore conditioning for baseball then weights left me never sore. It kind of shocked me. I always have those workout that you say to yourself, wow I'm gonna be sore tomorrow ( due to my sick weights coaches), but to my surprise nothing. This is by far my favorite recovery product.

Value- this is where this product doesn't score as high. It has 30 servings for 1 scoop, but I use 2 scoops Like most people. So that's 15 servings for 35$. I pay it happily though.

I strongly suggest you try this product if you havent yet.

January 12, 2011

• Pricey But Understandably
    I guess I'm getting lazy because I've lost the Drive to do reviews on the supplements I've been taking... This one Motivated my ass to write a review though.

After seeing the words 2:1:1 Recovery pop up here and there on forum posts, I looked it up and decided to give it a go. And I couldn't be more pleased with my decision.

Effectiveness- I believe ON has their ducks in a row with the science behind this product. It delivers a 2:1:1 carb ratio (2x Glucose Polymers+ Waxy Maize Starch, 1x Sucrose, 1x Fructose), a 2:1:1 protein ratio (2x Hydrolyzed Whey Protein Isolate, 1x Micellar Casein, 1x Egg Albumen), and a 2:1:1 BCAA ratio (2x Leucine, 1x Isoleucine, 1x Valine) Thus the name 2:1:1 Recovery.

When I started using this product with the intended dosage(2 Scoops), I had more lean gains than I've ever had. I felt "replenished" you might say after a hard workout and I know it's due to the 70 grams of fast acting carbs this delivers coupled with the 35 grams of protein. It's a potent combo that Primes your body to repair and build like no other. I rate this category as a 9.5.

TASTE- I've went through 2 tubs of Colossal Chocolate. I can't force myself at this point to venture out and try anything else because it tastes waaay to damn good. And this is just mixing it with water. Chocolate soy? It's delectable. Rating- 9

MIXABILITY- I have a Ninja food processor that I use to blend this with. I've never had any issues with clumping whatsoever and I usually put around 15oz. of liquid in when I mix this and about 4 ice cubes. And I love how easily it rinses from my blender. I hate a protein that you have to scrub the sides to get the residue out with. Rating- 9

PRICE- You can usually buy this for around $35-40. It's a 3.73lb tub with 15 full servings if you do the suggested 2 scoops. I feel like it could be cheaper, but at the same time I feel like it's the most effective recovery aid on the market. So I'm happy to pay that, but I know guys on a tight budget might not be able to swing this. So I'm going to give it a 7 for price.

OVERALL- I doubt I'll be venturing outside anything else for my post workout shake for quite some time. I've found an absolute staple in my stack and have no intentions of changing it. At first I was slightly aprehensive about using this because its 430 calories per serving. But my leans are amazingly lean. I would not be afraid to use this while on a cut. My one complaint about this is when I mix it, it usually fills up several glasses. It usually makes about a 30-34oz shake which is obviously substantial. So although it is a minor issue, its no deal breaker by any means. Just don't expect to throw this in your shaker and down it like you would with your ON 100% Whey or MyoFusion. Other than that, this stuff is badass :-]. Overall rating- 9.5

January 4, 2011

• Outstanding Ingredient Profile
      This is one of many post workouts on the market today, but despite the wide array of options, this product is one that I have always relied on, further enforcing my opinion of Optimum Nutrition.

- Taste/Texture: 9.8
      The Colossal Chocolate is hands down one of the best tasting supplements that I have ever tried and makes me look forward to slamming my post workout shake. It is balanced nicely with a rich chocolate flavor without being too sweet, reminding me of instant hot chocolate. The texture is smooth with a hint of grittiness. I have tried the other flavors, but Chocolate is the way to go.

- Mixability: 9.3
      Mixes easily in a shaker cup with the recommended amount of water. The only minor drawback is that it will foam a little bit, but letting it sit for a little and then gently reshaking easily takes care of this.

- Ingredient Profile: 9.8
      The main draw for this product is in the title: a 2:1:1 ratio of the ingredients. It boasts a 2:1 ratio of carbs to proteins, a blend of carbs, a blend of fast, intermediate and slow proteins, and a bonus of 5 added grams of BCAA's.

Here's the breakdown:

- 2:1:1 Carbohydrate Ratio
      2 x Glucose Polymers & Waxy Maize
      1 x Sucrose
      1 x Fructose

- 2:1:1 Protein Ratio
      2 x Hydrolyzed Whey Isolate (Fast)
      1 x Casein (Slow)
      1 x Egg Albumen (Intermediate)

- 2:1:1 BCAA Ratio
      2 x Leucine
      1 x Isoleucine
      1 x Valine

- Effectiveness: 9.6
      This is hands down one of the most effective products that I've come across when it comes to post workout recovery. Some may complain that it doesn't have creatine in it like some other products do, but I feel that makes it that much more versatile as I can use it on off cycles of creatine and that I supplement with the creatine of my choice. I've used it on lean bulks, maintenance, and even worked it into my cuts and it has never left me disappointed.

- Value: 9.1
      The price is on par with many of the other post workout products. While it certainly isn't the cheapest, it is far from the most expensive. With the ingredient profile it is priced pretty well and I feel that those who try it will feel that the price is justified by the results.

- Overall: 9.6
      This is another outstanding product from Optimum and has been a staple of mine for some time now. I highly recommend trying this product at least once and seeing how it compares to your current post workout.

-AP