100% Natural Whey Reviews

By: Optimum

Protein > Whey Protein
100% Natural Whey is a Whey Protein Powder manufactured by Optimum. It is a dairy based protein that supports lean muscle gain by suppling additional protein to recovering muscles, which can also improve fat loss.

November 21, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • All Natural
  • Added BCAA And Glutamine
  • Good Taste.
  • Mixability

24 Grams of Protein with no artificial sweeteners and flavors.

Meeting daily protein goal is very important for burning fat and whey protein is the best choice (unless you are lactose intolerant). Many whey protein powders are loaded with undesirable carbs and fat, making it difficult to restrict macro-nutrients consumption, so after finishing one jar of ordinary Whey Isolate, I decided to cut more calories and drink shake with less carbs and fats, so I chose all-time bestseller brand.

Total Fat 1 g
Lecithin
Xanthan Gum
Rebaudioside A
Lactase

Let's compare these to all time bestseller Optimum Whey Protein: In Natural Powder calories are higher only by 10, sugars and carbs are also higher by 2-2 grams, fat 0.5 grams lower, Cholesterol and Sodium both lower by 20 and 70 grams respectively. None of the products specified portions of other ingredients.

I always use 1 scoop of whey powders immediately after workout. Only problem with this product is it's Mixability, even after using hand mixer, little portion of sediments appear at the bottom. I tried only chocolate powder and loved it very much, taste also seemed to be less sweet.

When I drink this shake post morning workout, I rehydrate immediately, my appetite is suppressed, don't crave for anything and feel recovered after 2-3 hours, no muscle soreness. After nearly one month of consumption, my muscles started to grow again and felt ready to lift heavier weights. All signs confirm it's quality.

Currently cheapest shop to buy this powder is jet.com, where 68 servings cost $47.83 ($0.70 Per Serving). I personally purchased Natural Whey from Bodyubilding.com and paid $29.99 for 27 servings ($1.11 Per Serving). $57.99 for 68 Servings ($0.85 Per Serving) is most common price on many websites, but there lots of deals available like $51.99 on www.allstarhealth.com ($0.76 Per Serving) and you can use them with free shipping if you wish.

Side Effects

Felt a little bloating while consuming. Being lactose sensitive, I always drink digestive enzymes with whey shakes to prevent myself from terrible stomach problems. I consumed only 27 servings and everything seems to be ok, but for future references I won't suggest making yourself bloating for longer periods, sooner or later it would result in terrible diarrhea.

Conclusion

It's label does say to be Perfect For Low Fat/Low Carb Diets, but from ingredients profile it's very easy to see Natural Whey Powder contains slightly more carbohydrates and slightly lower fat, Calories are also higher only by 10... I definitely can't recommend this powder as must-try while cutting or better alternative to traditional whey powders, but I don't regret this try and from my experience I would suggest sticking to purest form of whey protein isolates and preserve wallet from paying additional dollars. I haven't compared ingredients so well during purchase, but make sure you do before making final decision.
  • Chocolate: 10/10

September 30, 2016

Hi everyone at SR, Shaun Michael here from Singapore.
23yrs old and pursuing my degree.

FIRST REVIEW POST
1. How did you find out about SR?
- I was searching for products from google and saw supplementcritique.com as well as SR and it's review of Rob Miller and the whole scam issue. Decided to give SR a try by browsing around and here I am writing my first review. :)

2. What prompted you to write this review?
To be honest, I saw the part on getting free samples for giving honest reviews so that got me haha! However, I do realise that most supplement companies or review websites are based in US and would probably be able to offer these free supplements domestically.
Though I doubt I would get the chance to get free samples all the way in Singapore, I believe that a decent review of some supplements I've taken over the years or taking now might be of use to somebody around the world one day. No harm in doing some good right?

3. What are your fitness goals?
Mainly bulking. I was (or still am, just with more muscle) a really skinny Asian guy and the one time I managed to actually put on visible mass was years ago when I really started to hit the gym, 3 times a week for 6mths. Of course, my appetite increased and I also started on my first whey protein so there were significant changes to my body. Till today, I'm still finding out the best supplements and methods to put on size. (I don't mind the fats for bulking)

4. What other products are you planning to review?
Had my first protein supplement with ON's Gold Standard Whey, followed through with ON's Serious Mass and many others listed below.

Assault by Musclepharm
Muscletech's Essential Series: Platinum 100% Whey
Ronnie Coleman's Creatine Monohydrate
ON Gold Standard 100% Natural Whey
ON Creatine Monohydrate

On to the review..

Supplement in Review: ON Gold Standard 100% Natural Whey
Flavour: Chocolate

The main thing that separates this Gold Standard and the classic one of ON is that it's free of artificial flavouring, sweeteners and colors.
It follows the basic gold standard series of serving with 24g of protein per scoop. It's main ingredient would be Whey Protein Isolates (WPI) as well as microfractions from the WPI. In addition, it contains Ultra-Filtered Whey Protein Concentrate.

Aside from the whey, it contains naturally occuring Glutamine (> 4 grams) and 5 grams of naturally occuring BCAAS (Leucine, Isoleucine, and Valine).

Additional ingredients contained as mentioned on it's label are: Protein Blend (A mixture of Whey Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Concentrate, Whey Peptides), Evaporated Cane Juice Powder, Natural Flavor, Cocoa (Processed With Alkali), Xanthan Gum, Rebaudioside A, Aminogen, Lactase.

Common Allergen Ingredients: Contains milk and soy (lecithin).

FIRST TASTE
Personally, I hated the initial taste of it. (Took a scoop with 200ml of cold water) I'm not sure if natural flavoured chocolate tastes like that but I'm sure it doesn't taste like this.

SUBSEQUENT TASTE
It grows on you and I'm actually enjoying the taste of it. (Probably just got used to it's flavour) Heck if it's really a "cleaner" whey, it's worth a shot!

MIXES FAIRLY WELL
The whey does mix well with water or milk. However, there might be some minor clumps occasionally.

DOSAGE
The direction states 1 scoop, I always assumed a level scoop but I prefer to go for a heapful which adds 2-5g more of protein.

If the product is true to what it claims of only containing naturally flavoured ingredients then I'd make the switch if you're looking for a "cleaner" protein source without a heavy price tag. I'm not sure how to gauge effectiveness just yet but I do recover the same as any other whey or casein supp would do. It doesn't work a miracle if that's what you're asking.

Dedication to diet and workout matters, the protein will do it's part for you..

Definitely value for money in a "cleaner" source of whey as the prices average out to be equal (maybe a dollar or two off from each other). No real significance there. ON to me has been a trusted source and a long term player in the supplement industry so I don't think you'd waste your money either way.

Side Effects

It was a little harsh on it's digestion as I had a slight stomach ache afterwards, nothing too serious. Decided to give it another try the next day with the same meals and dosage of the protein but the same issue happened.

IT GOT BETTER!
Didn't want to waste it so I continued over the next few days and the stomach aches subsided to nil and the taste actually grew on me. Let's be honest, the best tasting chocolate flavoured supp I've tried will always be ON's Gold Standard Double Rich Chocolate. That's the real deal..

Conclusion

DON'T GET DISCOURAGED
I know the initial taste I had was bad but I've read on other sites that they really enjoyed the flavour with it's first taste. Different taste buds I suppose. ON's Natural Whey is a decent product from a reputable brand and if your current whey is running out, I'd suggest to give this a shot as it's probably a cleaner alternative that you might just stick to. I'm actually planning on sticking to this till something better comes along with this price tag.

Rise & Shine,
Shaun Michael
  • Chocolate: 7/10

9.5
  May 17, 2015

Pros:
 Cons:
  • All Natural
  • Chocolate Tastes Great
  • Keeps The Body Anabolic
  • Mixes Well
  • Added BCAA And Glutamine
  • Vanilla Tastes Acceptable But Would Avoid If I Had To
  • Price On The Higher Side
And yes I admit. I used to be one of those 90% of the people who would buy supplements based on advertising and scientific research provided by the companies themselves (Duh!!!) without doing my own personal research. All these substances go into MY BODY so I would trust myself over the people who are trying to sell me stuff. I am currently enrolled in personal training (PT) course to get certified, and in those classes is where I was exposed to all the lies and dangers of what I was putting into my body through some of the supplements.

One drop of rain water might not make a dent on a brick. But picture one drop of water consistently falling on the brick on a daily basis on the same spot over and over again. The water droplet will eventually create a hole in the brick. What is the one supplement most gym goers consume on a daily basis? Yes, you got it right. Protein powder. Especially Whey Protein. Don't let the product owners fool you when they say "just a little bit of these substances do not cause any harm." I just told you what happens to the brick :)

Do you even know what some of the artificial ingredients that are frequently present in most whey protein powders? (Natural Whey do NOT contain the ingredients listed below)

1. Artificial flavoring - Don't let the fancy names and packaging fool you. Artificial flavoring is known to cause many problems including: nervous system depression, dizziness,chest pain, headaches, fatigue, allergies, brain damage, seizures, nausea, and much more. Some of the popular flavorings can also cause genetic defects, tumors, bladder cancer, and many other types of cancers.

2. Artificial coloring (eg: FD&C Red No.40) - Due to safety issues some countries like Denmark, Belgium, France, Sweden and Switzerland have banned these substance. Known to cause hyperactivity in children. Some animal studies indicate that chemicals used in the preparation of this colorant are carcinogenic and may cause cancer. Developmental, reproductive and general organ toxicity have also been noted in animal studies. Caution advised to those with aspirin sensitivities as reactions can occur. May cause allergic reaction in sensitive individuals.

3. Acesulfame-K (also known as Ace-K) - Acesulfame-K is a potassium salt containing methylene chloride, a known carcinogen. Reported side effects: Long term exposure to methylene chloride can cause nausea, headaches, mood problems, impairment of the liver and kidneys, problems with eyesight and possibly cancer. Acesulfame-K may contribute to hypoglemica (abnormally diminished content of glucose in the blood).

Concerns: Of all artificial sweeteners, acesulfame-K has undergone the least scientific scrutiny. Early studies showed a potential link between the sweetener and development of multiple cancers in laboratory animals.

4. Sucralose (Splenda) - Sucralose is a synthetic additive created by chlorinating sugar. Manufacturers say the chlorine in sucralose is no different from that in table salt. Fact: the chemical structure of the chlorine in sucralose is almost the same as that in the now-banned pesticide DDT.

Reported side effects: Head and muscle aches, stomach cramps and diarrhea, bladder issues, skin irritation, dizziness and inflammation.

Concerns: Research has shown sucralose can cause shrinking of the thymus gland, an important immune system regulator, and liver and kidney dysfunction. A recent study by Duke University found sucralose reduces healthy intestinal bacteria, which are needed for proper digestion and can impact the effectiveness of prescription and other drugs.

Ingredient Profile: 9/10
Good news is that Natural Whey does not contain any of the substance above. However, I am also not saying that this product is an angel either. All protein powders are heavily processed and nothing beats whole, natural food. I am just saying that Natural Whey is the better way to go since most of us do need to consume protein shakes due to convenience, lack of time etc. The nutritional facts are quite comparable to the "artificial" version of the Gold Whey Standard. Contains 10 more calories (130), 0.5g less fat (1g) and 2g more sugar (4g) compared to the artificial version.

Natural Whey contains Rebaudioside A or better known as Stevia. Stevia does not cause danger like the substances listed above but can still cause side effects like allergic reaction, upset stomach or slow down in metabolism.

Taste: Acquired taste. Chocolate starts at 7 then goes up to 9/10. Vanilla starts at 3 then goes up to 5/10.
I personally find the Natural Whey chocolate flavor better than the "artificial" Gold Standard chocolate whey. And after a few days the taste becomes even better. However, I can't say the same for Vanilla. Tastes horrible in the beginning but becomes acceptable in a few days. However, natural ingredients is what I am after. Plus I really like the chocolate flavor in Natural Gold Standard Whey. Win - win.

Mixability: 9/10
Mixes perfectly with water in a shaker. I have personally not tried mixing with milk as I try to avoid milk. Milk makes your body acidic so I would recommend just mixing with water. I usually do 8 to 10oz of water with one scoop of Natural Whey and half scoop of Natural Casein for post workout shake.

Effectiveness: 9.5/10
It does what it is supposed to do. Keeps those muscles growing! Whey protein isolate will digest in your body within 30 to 40 minutes and whey protein concentrate will digest in 2 to 3 hours. Natural Whey Gold Standard contains both isolate and concentrate.

Value: 7.5/10
Price is quite comparable to original Gold Standard or other branded protein powders of its caliber. There are cheaper options out there of course but I personally like to buy products from more reputable companies that have been around for a while.

Overall: 8.8/10
I will continue to buy this product until I find another NATURAL protein powder that could out perform this one in terms of taste or value. I would also recommend Natural Whey and Oats if you prefer to take protein shakes with some complex carbs in them.

October 19, 2012

Pros:
 Cons:
  • All Natural
  • Just ok Taste
OK...this is my first review. Plan on reviewing my favorites first.

Background- Been using supps for 25yrs dating back to college where i played football and ran track. Also did some powerlifting.

Supps while using 100% Natural Gold Standard Whey:

Jack3d, MBCAA, Glyco Maize, Green Mag...

I rarely stray from jack3d and mbcaa as they seem to be what works best for me.

USE- I would normally slam a scoop as soon as i wake up with some manner of simple carb (fruit, straight sugar, whatever i have around...Glyco Maize was easiest during my use of 100%) and slam one right after a workout with Glyco Maize.

Effectiveness-9

This is a very good product. I try to limit aspartame and fructose (etc) on the products i use on a daily basis. This is a very clean protein source and saw gains.

Taste-hmmmmmm 7

It's not in that upper eschalon of best tasting proteins (Syntha 6, MM, dymatize's stuff, and now 2:1:1) but it's tolerable. If it wasn't natural I'd probably give it a bit lower. I normally won't care what pre-workout drinks taste like if they're effective...but an everyday protein should be tasty and effective.

Mixablitity-5

I use a blender with ice and water. It's not the easiest thing to blend, unless you add a banana for balance or less ice.

Profile-9

it's a very good go-to protein. I prefer hydrolysed protein (hydro builder, proto whey, or 2:1:1) after I work out but this is more cost effective than most options. And of course, it's natural...which i like from a daily protein powder.

Value- 8.5

I usually get it when i get a 10% coupon from Vitamin Shoppe, which makes it under $50. Pretty good for the amount of servings.

Overall- 8 (if you're not concerned about natural or not); 9 otherwise.

It's a staple in my supplement routine. WIsh it would taste better but one has to consider it's natural so you have to make some concessions.

All things equal, I prefer Pro Complex natural but that cost seems to be skyrocketing. There might be some better options out there for us natural protein seekers, i just don't know many off the top. If natural isn't a concern of yours, and you like to savor your protein like it's a single malt scotch, this isn't for you. But if you want a clean tasting, natural, high quality whey, this is for you.

April 19, 2011

Pros:
 Cons:
  • All Natural
  • Low Carbs
  • Good Taste.
  • Mixes Well
  • Smooth
    RESULTS: Unparalleled. Excellent gains in overall frame, strength and appearance. I'm definitely noticing the results compared to when I was a newbie who worked out absent any protein supplementation.

SIDE EFFECTS: None

TASTE: Depends on flavor...Strawberry banana is absolutely dreadful. Cookies and Cream is DELICIOUS. Double Rich Chocolate is pretty delightful too. I rotate between C&C and Chocolate.

I've sifted through about 8 tubs of this protein now, and I don't foresee myself switching in the near future.

October 28, 2009

Pros:
     Cons:
    • All Natural
    • Low Carbs
      For starters, Optimum is one of the best brands around, so I'm very happy to say that this is another quality product from them. I bought this as an alternative to the regular 100% Whey because my parents are EXTREMELY concious about the supplements I take and consider something like Jack3d to be a steroid (...parents...). Anyway, I really liked the regular whey so when I made the switch to natural, I was pleasantly surprised because it tastes BETTER than the regular whey (I had the chocolate flavor). The Stevia that they use to sweeten this product is one of the healthiest sweeteners around, and I also like that they added an Aminogen complex to help with digestion. It's very low carb so it fits in perfect with my CKD diet. I usually take 2 servings a day, 1 for a postworkout shake and 1 to use in various ways, whether it be with my breakfast, lunch, a snack, in a homemade protein bar, or after basketball conditioning. It's very versatile and "clean". The recovery from it is pretty good considering that I'm not as sore as I used to be after working out. It's also relatively cheap ($22/29 servings). The only quams I have with this product is that there's no "extras" like glutamine, creatine, CLA, etc. in it. It's also not a blend, which makes it unusable at nightime. For these reasons, I'm most likely going to make the switch to Optimum's new Natural Pro Complex, but it's hella expensive. So, until then, I'll still be taking my trusty Natty Whey. The key with this is to be patient, take it religiously and the gains will come. Don't think it'll work like a PH or anything, but if your patient, you will lean out.