100% Natural Oats & Whey Reviews

By: Optimum

Protein > Blended Protein
100% Natural Oats & Whey is a Blended Protein Powder manufactured by Optimum. It contains a blend of different types of protein and will promote lean muscle mass and fat loss.

Overall
Overall
4.5
5.9
4.1
  January 8, 2017

• Loaded With Sugar

I usually love O.N.'s products, and have a lot of good things to say about them for their simplicity and ability to deliver expected results; but I think they really dropped the ball with this one. Unfortunately I seem to be on an island with my disappointment and other reviews seem very positive.

Let's start with the good...
In every scoop you get:
24g Protein
5g Fiber
That's a good amount of each.

Now for the bad...
In each scoop you also get:
210 Calories
10g of sugar!
250mg of sodium
40mg of cholesterol
With those numbers, especially the sugar, that makes it tough to like this even as a meal replacement shake (which is how I used it)

It tastes good, and I mixed it in a blender and therefore didn't have any clumping.

It worked about as well as any other quality whey protein, and the added fiber helped keep me full until lunchtime. My shake is pretty loaded up with other ingredients, so I don't know that the same would hold true if you were just mixing with water.

A little more than $1/serving. Not bad, especially as a meal replacement.

Side Effects

A little gas, but not as bad as I expected with the high fiber content.

Conclusion

As I mentioned, I make a pretty robust morning shake. I figure it's best to take in a lot of good calories early in the day and it helps keep me full well past noon. The recipe includes low fat milk, natural peanut butter, bananas, and flax seed. The milk, peanut butter, and bananas all have a lot of sugar in them, so I really don't have room to have more added from the protein-- especially not the 20g that come from 2-scoops!

I just think 10g is an unacceptable amount of sugar for any scoop of protein to have and I was really frustrated with myself for not seeing it when I bought it.

When you compare it to a top protein like the Impact Whey Isolate from MyProtein-- that stuff has 90 Calories to ON's 210, 21g protein to ON's 24g, 1g of sugar to ON's 10g, 0mg of cholesterol to ONs 40mg, and 50mg of sodium to ON's 250mg.

After you add up all the statistics, it's easily worthwhile to go with MyProtein's better but slightly more expensive offering.

The sugar is my biggest peeve. That's just useless. I really don't understand why ON let that happen, especially when their Gold Standard Whey only has 1g of sugar as well; but lo and behold, sugar is the 5th ingredient then there is stevia added on top of that as well.

Just do yourself a favor and choose another option.

September 4, 2015

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Smooth
  • Good Carb Source
  • Mixes Well
  • Excellent Morning Shake
  • Tastes Great
  • High Fiber
    -Introduction-
    Well this is a product I have been using for a while now since it just fits my lifestyle so well. My diet consist of a pescetarianism(Vegan w/ fish, eggs & dairy). Also do intermittent fasting where my meal window is between 1-9pm. The fasting was in part because I wanted to change things up, and also drop some weight. I started out 2015 at 220lbs, currently down to 200lbs and all my lifts have gone up in the mean time. Losing fat is a pain, and the biggest pain is feeling hungry and having the tendency to overeat because of it. In other words I needed something to help me stick to my goals, and not over eat which is where Optimum Nutrition Oats & Whey came in

-Ingredient Profile-(9/10)
    The Chocolate flavored ingredients break down like this:

Whey Protein Isolate: Considered one the best forms of whey protein for it being easily digestible and has the highest percentage of protein.

Whey Protein Concentrate: This is a cheaper form of whey protein which tends to get used is almost all protein products.

Honey Powder: Dried honey used as a sweetener which has some calories, however I prefer this to any artificial sweetener.

Evaporated Cane Juice Powder: Another sweetener

Whole Oat Flour: Powdered oats pretty much, this is a great source of carbs.

Oat Fiber: We all need fiber in our diets, and this helps to get more fiber in a diet.

Natural Cocoa Powder: Real cocoa flavor, I like that it is not all artificial flavors which too many products tend to use.

Natural Flavor: This could be anything that is considered a natural flavor, so I have no idea.

Salt: Most likely this is added for flavoring

Cellulose Gum: Thickening agent.

Lecithin: Helps with mixability.

Guar Gum: Another thickener.

Calories and nutrition break down to this:

3 Lbs. Milk Chocolate
    Serving Size 1 Heaping Scoop(52g)
    Servings Per Container 26 Servings
    Total Carbohydrate: 23g
    Dietary Fiber: 4g
    Sugars: 9g
    Protein: 24g

Not bad, add this to some low fat milk and you got well over 30 grams of protein for around 350 calories which is a good place to be at for a meal replacement. It has carbs, which are slow digesting from the oats so this works well early in the day to give you a solid source of energy throughout the day. Also, this helps me feel full(most likely because of the fiber) and keeps me from binge eating.

-Taste/Mixability/Dosing- (8.5/10)
    I had both flavors chocolate and vanilla. Liked them both, chocolate has weaker taste but with milk it is wonderful, with water it is okay. Mixes decently well, cold milk makes it a little harder to mix, but with a little extra effort it turns out great. Dosing is one heaping scoop in 15 oz of milk for me and away I go.

-Effectiveness-(9/10)
    Now, for effectiveness this is a home-run for me. Not saying I have the body of the Rock from using his; what I am saying is this works perfectly for me and my diet. This not only helps me achieve 1 gram of protein per pound of body-weight per day, but also helps with my fiber needs and the carbs with the source coming from oats. It keeps me feeling fuller throughout the day, and helps to keep the hunger at bay while providing me with energy.

-Value- (9/10)
    $25 off of Amazon is what I usually pay for this, and with 26 servings its a little less than $1 per serving which is great.

-Side Effects-

-Conclusion-
    Optimum was looking to make a product that appealed to the naturalist crowd and came away with great product for anyone to use. I'd recommend this to anyone looking for a meal replacement, or even pre gym shake. With Oats & Whey coming from such a reputable company such as Optimum Nutrition, you know it has quality ingredients with no fillers and it delivers the results I needed from a protein shake. So I highly recommend this product to anyone.

July 23, 2012

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Smooth
    • Takes The Mess Out Of Pre-workout Meal
    • Lift Hard With It.
    • Can Make Cheaper Alternative
    • Slightly Pricey (in Uk)
    • Taste Can Be Bland
    Now for all my fans out there here is a review that is simple and right to the point, exactly like this underated product by Optimum. Here we go:

-------

Background

--------------------
    I take this product and hour before I train if I don't have time to eat, or I will take a serving of it post workout with about 20g of protein added to it along with my aminos.

--------------Ingredients: 10/10-------------
    This is a very simple product by ON and I love that! It is basicly the following:
    Calories- 200
    Protein-24g
    Carbs-23g
    Fiber-4g
    Sugar-9g
    ON made this product the right way the carbs come from Whole oat flour and Honey powder (for sweetening) the protein is the same protein that ON uses in the gold standard so the sources are Whey protein isolate and concentrate.
    This is a "natural" product which means that there are no artifical colors or sweeteners in it. Not a huge deal for me but I figure cutting some artifical stuff from my diet cant be a bad thing.

-----------Quality: 9/10---------------------
    Im am not going to go into much detail in this section cause it is Optimum and they use good protein and it is a Natural product so Im impressed with the quality. End of statement.

-----------Taste:7/10------------------------
    I have tried the chocolate and it is pretty good. Like I said before it is a natural product so they don't use the artificial sweeteners and the taste suffers a bit. The taste is not bad it is just bland, personally I found it refreshing and I liked it. But that is not the common taste feedback I get. Basically it won't blow you away with deliciousness.

--------------Effectiveness: 10/10-----------
    I normally don't give 10's for how a product works but really with this product I did. It does all it is supposed to and it is so versitile you can use it pre, post or as a snack. Any way you use it it works well.
    I used to grind up whole oats in a blender then scoop them into my protein for a post workout shake and that worked well but never really mixed well. This product mixes sooo smoothe, and I get the carbs and protein that I need.

---------------Price:5/10--------------------
    Just like any ON protein the price is on the high side about $28 for a 3lb tub (30servings) at bodybuilding.com. It just seems expensive for a product that is basically protein with some oats in it. Honestly I hate to say this but since im cheap, I would not pay full price for this product, I would just grind up oats and toss them in my protein. Lucky for me I have a friend in Optimum who hooks me up with free tubs so this will be a staple in my supplements.

--------------Overall:8/10-------------------
    This is a great product and I tip my hat to Optimum for making such a simple, natural product that works and mixes so well. I am suprised there were not that many reviews on this but maybe this will get the word out. Try this one out guys!!!!!

June 16, 2012

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Smooth
    • Takes The Mess Out Of Pre-workout Meal
    • Taste Can Be Bland
    Overall my experience with Oats & Whey was great.
    First lets get the cons out of the way.(not that there are really any)

The taste got old about half way through the tub. Kind of your standard bland whey protein chalky taste. Other than that no problems.

Mix-ability 10: I used 16 oz of fat free milk and 2 scoops. Mixed real smooth in seconds. No clumps.
    Results 9: I was using this has a meal replacement for breakfast. It held me over until lunch just fine. I work out in the evenings and use a different protein for my post workout. The oats & Whey did not make meal feel bloated, I had good energy and kept me going until lunch.I did put on a little additional size while I was on this but let me point out I was using twice the recommended serving.

I definitely would recommend this as a meal replacement or a post workout for athletes needing carbs.

April 5, 2011

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Takes The Mess Out Of Pre-workout Meal
    • Taste Can Be Bland
    One thing I didn't want to do on here is do a ton of protein reviews. Almost just about every protein seems to be the same except maybe one scoop is bigger than the other or price or whatever. So, I figured to do some that I find to really stand out, and this one does. This is one solid low-fat protein packed with 24 grams of whey(with isolate being listed first). It also contains 23 grams of carbs from oats with 9 of those being sugar. So, this is perfect first thing in the morning, pre, and post workout. The taste was ok and sometimes making feel if they could've done a little better in that department, but for what it is, it's a solid protein and I recommend it to anyone wanting to try something a little different.

February 17, 2011

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Takes The Mess Out Of Pre-workout Meal
    • Taste Can Be Bland
    After all this time i finally tried my first ON protein. this stuff is as good as everyone has said. not only does it have around 20% of your daily fiber, but a great mix of carbs and protien that has been my 2nd meal of the day/meal before gym choice for about a month.

taste=7 its ok, i got the vanilla flavor and its a little rough on the taste and you feel the crushed oats go down but its really not the bad.

price=8 i got it for 27 bucks on sale which is good. nice for the amount

mixability=7 a little chunky but with enough water its good

profile=9 with 24g of protein and 4g fiber u really cant go wrong. the salt is a little high but at least the first ingrediant was isolate then concentrate.

Im deffinitly getting more of this. i dont really like casin and im already taking a protein blend along with my post isolate. i would recommend this to anyone looking for a good and quick breakfest replacement. Also its a great preworkout protein when your cycling of pwo.

November 26, 2010

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Takes The Mess Out Of Pre-workout Meal
    • Makes You Dense
    • Taste Can Be Bad
    There are two things that I love most about this protein. The first is the price. I usually can find it online for about $21/3lb. This is a protein I generally take somewhere in the middle of the day as one to just fill me up and keep my protein intake high. With that said, this was a great choice as to not spend a ton of money. The second thing I love about this protein is the fiber content. Maybe it is just me, but I have had a hard time finding a good protein that has any amount of fiber in it, but this is one that I think I will stick with. Fiber is one of those ingredients that people seem to forget about, and when one is trying to build muscle or burn fat, fiber is extremely beneficial.

As for any cons, I find the taste awful. I typically mix a couple scoops of it with one scoop of some other whey protein (I have the milk chocolate oats and whey, and it mixes well with the Optimum chocolate whey). However, despite the taste, it does mix well.

As for results, I just finished my 2nd tub of this, and I am very pleased with the results. One thing I was able to do was to cut some of my other fiber sources down (I no longer have to eat as much Fiber One or broccoli), and for that I am thankful. Strength and size gains have steadily increased, and that is always a good sign.

Overall, I recommend this protein. If you don't like the taste, just mix it with some other protein, and you should be fine.

October 12, 2010

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Smooth
    • Mixes Well
      i finally finished my first tub of Oats and whey and let me say it is one of my favorite staples. it is a quick and easy snack or you can drink it with a meal to add some extra protein.
      Im in college and its really easy to drink one of these for breakfast of between classes.
      Yeah you can take oats and blend them up with whey protein but that usually makes me gassy.
      The taste of chocolate is really good, its all natural which is nice. i always drink it in water and it reminds me of cold hot-cocoa or Yoo-Hoo for those who drank that as a kid. it also mixes pretty well

It isnt exactly a perfect product, it barely has any fat in it which makes it not so useful as a meal replacement, i just add some natural peanut butter.
      Also with 9 grams of sugar, its only 14 grams of oats. its supposed to be equal to a serving of oats but thats really not, i would have liked to see closer to 20grams

as for effectiveness, its oats and whey so its not anything new for me. its alot easier than pounding down some steel cut oats in the morning before class.

The price, buy 2 get one free from bb.com, was unbelievable. it ended up being about 17 bucks for 2lbs which is around what i pay for whey anyways.

its a great concept of a product, perfect for inbetween meals or a quick breakfast. the price is right. i would like to see more oats in it but what can i do

September 29, 2010

Pros:
       Cons:
      • Smooth
      • Solid Nutritional Value
      • Mixes Well
      • Convinient
      • Makes You Dense
      • Can Make Cheaper Alternative
      • Slightly Pricey (in Uk)
      • Taste Can Be Bland
      As you may be aware I'm currently working my way through most of the Optimum Nutrition range and providing reviews on each product once I'm done with them. I purchased Natural Oats & Whey together with ON's Pro Complex Gainer (also has a review, check it out) and therefore I am posting my thoughts up on both. This review is based on the Natural Oats and Whey product.

Firstly, let me say Natural Oats and Whey is a very handy and convenient product to have on hand but is easily replicable with a whey powder and fine oats (or blender) however, having this product to hand will save you a lot of time, hassle and tastes pretty good!

ON's Oats and Whey have been very finely blended so you should not find any lumps on shaking it up which makes a welcomed change from making my own blend up (usually has clumps and feels too chunky). It mixes extremely well and with relative ease, although I have only tried mixing it up in a protein shaker, I don't tend to use any other method.

Taste wise it's pretty damn good, but, I do have one negative point. Having sampled some of ON's other products and chocolate flavours I somewhat feel that the chocolate Oats and Whey slightly lacks. It has a very weak chocolate taste, almost like cold hot chocolate, and whilst I like my shakes weak and not too overpowering, this falls slightly below the mark for me - easily drinkable and enjoyable, but I feel it could be improved.

Do you struggle to get in a decent carb source during the day or at key times? Struggling with a specific part of the day when you don't have time to make a meal? Well, this is where Oats and Whey comes into its own. The ingredients speak for themselves. Oats and whey. The finely blended whole-grain oats are mixed with whey protein isolates and provide you with the 2 basic fundamentals of any bodybuilder - carbs and protein. One serving provides 24g of protein and 23g carbs, serving sizes are not huge and it's great to see so much packed into one serving, however, this product is not the cheapest which brings me onto my next point.

Value wise, this product is quite pricey, I'm in the UK and here your looking at around 25-35 GBP for a 1 kg tub, which, depending on your use and where you get most of your carbs from, probably wont last you a great deal of time - personally, I keep Oats and Whey as a kind of emergency back up if I cant be bothered to make up my own blend, that way it lasts longer. As mentioned above, you can make your own cheaper alternative quite easily but I guess you are paying for the convenience amongst the other perks (taste, mixability etc). Just to clarify, I'm sure our US counter-part gets this product a lot cheaper, I'd be interested to see how much you guys tend to pay for this product,

Anyway, overall, another solid product although, personally I think, lacking in a few key areas. This is a great product to have on hand if your lacking a space in your diet which requires a good hit of carbs and protein.

Thanks all, keep lifting.

September 29, 2010

Pros:
       Cons:
      • Smooth
      • Excellent Morning Shake
        100% Natural Oats and Whey is a great morning/pre-workout shake. For the most part, I would make one in the morning due to the amount of carbs and fiber. When consuming about 1g protein/lbs. body weight, fiber can easily be left out of the balance which of course could cause irregularity. If you don't take a PWO supplement, this can be effective pre-workout. Most PWO supplements require empty stomachs for better absorption and effectiveness but when cycling off one, this could provide a good boost before an intense workout because of the additional carbs. I have had some of the best workouts (energy and duration) taking this pre-workout as opposed to a PWO supplement, besides the pump factor from NO of course.

Taste: Chocolate was by far my favorite and mixed with skim milk resulted in a delicious combo

Mix-ability: Just like most ON products, mixes extremely well in both water and skim milk (did not try in oatmeal).

Effectiveness: Felt full for a good 2-3 hours until next meal and pushed harder at gym. Recovery was about the same if substituted with another protein.

Value: Not particularly expensive and in a 3lb tub. I wish it came in a 5lb tub, however.

Overall: I definitely recommend this product as a quality morning protein or pre-workout. You could probably take this post-workout, but I never did so I won't comment on that aspect.