Amino Drive Black has been reported as discontinued.

Check out the top-ranked products in Amino Acids > BCAA/EAA

Amino Drive Black Reviews

By: Nutrex

Amino Acids > BCAA/EAA
Amino Drive Black is a BCAA/Intra-Workout manufactured by Nutrex. BCAA is short for branched chain amino acids. They are the building blocks of protein and can increase protein synthesis, muscle recovery and endurance during workouts and have also been shown to reduce body fat.

Amino Drive Black has been reported as discontinued.

Check out the top-ranked products in Amino Acids > BCAA/EAA

May 21, 2016

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Reduced DOMS
  • Dye Free And Natural Flavoring
  • Glutamine Dosage

I'd like to thank Nutrex for sending this out. I'd also like to apologize for taking so long for this review.

This is a BCAA product so the most important ingredients are the BCAAs of course. Here you get a solid 6 grams of BCAAs in the classic 2:1:1 ratio. Nutrex also throws in some extras with L-Glutamine and Taurine at 1.5 and 1 grams respectively. I'm a fan of both of these ingredients, however, I like for glutamine to be dosed at 5 grams; 1.5 grams is just not enough. Taurine is dosed at the bottom end of the efficacious dosage range but it is within the range so I'm not deducting for that. Additionally, Amino Drive contains electrolytes to help with hydration and although some supplements have much larger and complex hydration blends I appreciate all the extra help I can get. Still, despite any qualms I have with dosages of the extra ingredients, I have to give Nutrex big props for full label disclosure, no artificial flavors, and no artificial dyes. I'm a huge stickler about artificial flavors, dyes, and proprietary blends so I really appreciate Nutrex's effort in these areas. In all, this a simple and effective formula that doesn't try to do too much but could be improved.

I received the fruit punch flavor and I found it pretty tasty. Although fruit punch is a relatively common flavor, I've enough fruit punch flavored supplements to know that a lot of companies screw it up too. That being said, Nutrex is not one of those companies. If anything, the fruit punch flavor was a bit light as opposed to too strong. While I dosed this pre, intra, and post-workout I found myself taking this immediately post-workout most of the time. I was a bit worried I might see some decrease in recovery as opposed to taking a whey shake immediately post-workout but thankfully I didn't notice much difference. As for mixability, there was very little residue or grit remaining and this was using a cup without a strainer/whisk.

Amino Drive was surprisingly effective. I don't know why but I honestly didn't expect much from Amino Drive, even though looking at the supplement profile should have ended any doubts I had. Of course this is a BCAA product so don't expect anything extreme but I'd say this definitely cut down the DOMS recovery time by about a day or so. I've had better results from a BCAA products in the past but those would be in the 9-10 range. As for the hydration aspect, I have to admit I didn't notice much improvement when I did dose this pre or intra-workout but this could have been because I drink a ton of water during my workouts. I also didn't notice any cramps when I dosed this pre or intra-workout so the taurine could be effective but I don't normally experience cramps in my workouts anyway. When dosing this post-workout, however, I of course didn't experience anything intra-workout but I did find that I recovered almost as much as I did when I took protein immediately post-workout. In short, this isn't the best BCAA product in terms of recovery but you will not be disappointed.

I found this for $23 for 30 servings using Price Plow. At about $0.76 a serving, this is a decent value for a quality product. I feel that a 8/10 here is a fair rating because while some of the more luxurious intra-workout supplements do cost more, you also get a lot more (sometimes). If you can find this on sale at all then I'd most definitely pull the trigger and at the $23 price point you should probably pull the trigger anyways.

Side Effects

I experienced no side effects while using Amino Drive.

Conclusion

This overall rating was perhaps one of the easiest I've had to do yet. Although taste/mixability/dosing was rated a 9 I feel that with all other categories being a solid 8 that the overall rating was clearly an 8 as well. Don't get me wrong, taste and mixability matter a lot, but I feel that the 9/10 rating only solidifies Amino Drive's 8/10 rating (if that makes any sense). Taste/Mixability is generally a category that I will deduct a lot from the overall score if it is royally screwed up, but if it is done right then I go with an average of the other categories and round up if applicable. Enough of my rambling though, the take away from this review should be: Amino Drive is a solid product for a solid price and while it could use some improvements, you won't be disappointed in the taste or results you receive.

May 10, 2016

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Better Endurance
  • Clinical And Effectively Dosed
  • Dye Free And Natural Flavoring
  • Reduced DOMS
  • No Pump Ingredients
  • Glutamine Dosage

Back at it again SR with a review for Nutrex's Amino Drive Black. BCAA/Aminos are a staple ingredient during my training and I have used a ton of them, from basic bulk bcaas to large amino complexes. The best of my experiences by fat is Nutrabio's Intrablast, with an honorable mention to PES AminoIV. I have used a couple products from this Nutrex Black series, and overall I like it as the products are well dosed and fully disclosed. On to the review!

A very nice, clean profile. A well dosed BCAA product with some added goodies in decent doses. You have 6 grams of BCAAs in a 2:1:1 ratio, above average but my best experiences are when they are 7+. Added to this are some electrolytes which I love, a gram of taurine and 1.5 grams of glutamine. The glutamine is definitely low, but I do like glutamine overall as a supplement. Another plus? No dyes. Awesome. Overall a very nice, above average profile for an amino supplement.

What's missing: No energy, endurance, or pump ingredients. And really, that's ok. A pump is extra for me in an intra, most of take have a pre-workout that handles that. Energy? I always have a ton of caffeine and don't like it in my intra. Endurance? I wouldn't mind some extra beta-alanine or something, a lot of the time those are under dosed in pre-workouts. This is not what this product is aiming for however, so I can't hate on it too much, but that's where the top tier intras are at.

One scoop whenever you need it, I always took it intra and sipped throughout training. Mixability was good as there was no settling, some foamage as with most amino products. I had the green apple flavor and it was well done, I hate when they go overboard with that flavor. It was very light and refreshing, looked forward to it. Add in the fact there is no artificial dyes and that's a winner for me..

I really like to measure amino/intra supplements in just a couple areas: recovery and endurance.

Recovery: It was not absolutely incredible like with Intrablast where I was barely sore for a day, but my DOMS were greatly reduced while taking this and I felt like I recovered very well in order to hit that muscle group again when that day rolled around again. Definitely above average in terms of most amino supplements.

Endurance: So this did not have any endurance ingredients per se, however it did well at keeping me hydrated during my workouts. I've been doing a lot of cardio cutting for my wedding, at least 30 minutes a day. Add this to it's already hot here in Phoenix, it's easy to get dehydrated and run down. This did a good job of helping me through the workouts.

Blown away? Nope. Better than most? Yep. I'd be happy to use it again.

Honestly, I think this is the best part of this product. The top tier aminos are going to run you a $1 or more per serving. That's pretty expensive and adds up pretty quick as to most, aminos are a luxury item. You can find this for $23 for 30 full servings, add on a sale here or there and wow that's a great buy. Fully disclosed, properly dosed, and way less than a $1 a serving. Value is high here.

Side Effects

None, happy camper.

Conclusion

Was this the best amino/intra/recovery supplement ever? No, but at the same time I don't think it's trying to be. This is a nice solid amino product you can pick up to help your workouts at a reasonable price. Worth a look at.

Overall
Overall
9.1
9.2
  May 10, 2016

• Better Endurance
  • Excellent Recovery
  • Aided In Digestion
  • Clinical And Effectively Dosed
  • Taste
Introduction + Supplement Facts
Nutrex has several different BCAA/Recovery products, but when this one came up for review I gladly accepted it for the loaded profile! Electrolytes aren't always given especially with a BCAA supplement, but they are certainly essentially necessary ingredients with intense exercise. In this profile you have 6g BCAA's 2:1:1, which is more than Clinical and at a great dosage. With that you have 1.5g Glutamine, which the effective range is 3g-5g so this would be underdosed yet it really is a bonus ingredient. Lastly you have 1g Taurine which is a good solid dosage. All in all you have 30 servings and no Dyes, which is a great thing with the only downside being Ace K if you care..

Taste + Mixability + Dosing
Well the flavor I picked out was Fruit Punch, and unlike the name it was more of a cherry tarty flavor or rather difficult to explain but wasn't very tasty to me.. Mixability was good with some settleing, yet the good ole swirl or stir will get it going. Dosing for me was 1 scoop each time, being Intra or Post workout yet a few times during the day and/or on my off days.

Effectiveness 9.2/10
Lets start off by saying that this supplement is more than your typical BCAA product, as it contains the extras that normally you have to pay for.. but we get them in addition! I could tell when taking this intra workout that my endurance was better and that I remained more hydrated during and after my workouts. When it comes to recovery you can't beat the 5g 2:1:1 BCAA, except when you make it 6g and then add Glutamine on top of it! Definitely enhanced recovery with the typical reduced DOMS, and ready to workout those muscles sooner rather than later (protein synthesis or building). With the Taurine I had noticed a small spike of energy in addition to the BCAA depending on consumption, along with some endurance group with the electrolytes. Lastly my new favorite way to aid in digestion, Glutamine! If you haven't caught the drift on my Glutagen review, not only does Glutamine help with digestion it also helps with prevention of sickness! Now, typically I aim for 3g-5g of Glutamine which this is only 1.5g and while effective enough to notice it wasn't the greatest in the terms of digestion yet worked wonderfully in conjunction with the BCAA's for recovery.

Value 9/10
This is the kicker, all 30 servings ONLY cost $23 and that is with free shipping on one site! That comes out to $0.76 per serving, which in the world of flavored BCCA products it is lower than the average! Of course you can get unflavored BCAA's for a lower cost, but for flavored this is one of the better values I have come across.

Overall Conclusion 9.1/10
This is a prime example of a Quality recovery product that gives you enough bells and whistles to keep you satisfied, and coming back for more! Really the only thing I would say that could improve this product would be working on that flavor, which was just not for me.. Then again that is what you get for having natural flavors, so "if you don't mind it don't matter". I would like to see 1.5g of Glutamine added making it 3g per serving, but it wouldn't be a deal breaker as 1.5g seemed to work efficiently with the 6g BCAA's. Thank you Nutrex for allowing us the opportunity to try some of your products, and I hope to see you guys more on SR.
  • Fruit Punch: 4/10