Whey Protein Isolate Reviews

By: NutraBio

Overall
Overall
Thanks to NutraBio for sending it out!
  November 22, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • No Fillers
  • Super Clean Protein
  • Mixes Well
  • I Use It Daily
  • Open Label
  • A Bit Pricey
  • Light On Taste
Nutrabio whey isolate

(About yourself, 1-3 sentences maximum)
I have been training for most of my life, as regularly for the past 4 years. I have made it a habit to consume a protein shake after every training session. The result of this is the fact that I have used MANY different protein powder supplements over the years. I have used anything from simple whey concentrate, to isolates, to blends and caseins. I have found what I enjoy over the years, and often times it is not the most expensive option. That being said, depending on the time of year and where I am at in my training, I sometimes prefer higher calorie or carb powders over lower calorie ones. This also helps the wallet a little as these are usually less expensive. When using the 100% whey protein isolate from Nutrabio, I was nearing the end of a reverse diet cycle, which means that I was consuming a higher amount of calories than usual. This product fit in niceness and allowed me to vary my carb sources more as there were virtually none present in a serving.

Here is my review.

----Ingredient Profile--
Nutrabio, as per usual, went all out with clarity and open label. Everything is included in detail and nothing is left to the imagination. Not only is the protein sources listed, but it is listed in its entire amount and the total yield of the protein. There is no guessing at where the 25g of protein comes from. Following their quality guidelines, they even include how the protein is extracted, which of course is of the highest standards. Everything, right down to the amounts of flavouring and thickeners are listed. You can be sure that there are no unnecessary fillers here.

As for the macronutrients, they are nothing less than stellar. Being an isolate with very little fillers, the protein content per scoop is pretty high, at 25g. That is followed by a pretty low carb total of 2g. There is no fat listed on the label since there is no fat present per serving.

For 110 calories and 25g of protein, this is a great option, especially for those in a caloric restriction.

Serving Size: 1 scoop/4.75tbsp (30.53grams)
Servings per container: 29.7
Magnesium 22mg
Sodium 102mg
Potassium 158mg

Whey Protein Isolate (non-denatured) 28.74g
-(28.74 grams WPI90 yielding 25 grams of complete protein)(CFM cross flow micro and ultra filtered. Cold pressed. Instantized with sunflower lecithin)

Other Ingredients: Flavouring (natural flavour 750mg, natural cocoa 500mg, xanthin gum 350mg, salt 110mg, sucralose 80mg).

Taste: I'll start off by saying that cookies and cream is not my go to flavour of choice. I usually find them lacking in taste. This one from Nutrabio is decent. It did not have any weird taste like some I have tried. It is not heavy on the flavour however. This is probably due to the fact that there is very little extras added, which to me, is only a good thing. You may need to work at finding the perfect ratio of liquid to powder. I found that less liquid than usually was needed in order for the cookies and cream flavour to be tasted. Once I figured that part out, there was not much to complain about. It was definitely not difficult to get down. 7/10

Mixability: This worked as your typical protein powder. It is not like a pre workout where you shake a few times and you're good to go. You need to shake it for a good 20-30 seconds. I never really found this an issue as I blend all of my shakes with ice. But I did want to try it out for the sake of this review.

Dosing: 30.53g is the serving size, providing 29.7 servings per container. Those are pretty specific numbers and I give kudos to Nutrabio for being so detailed and diligent. However, I did not worry about the .grams. I always use a scale to measure out my protein and aimed for 30g per servings. I can say that it did give me about 29-31 servings.

Effectiveness is always a little tricky to review in a protein supplement. People will use protein powders for various reasons. Some may use it just to reach their protein numbers for the day instead of whole foods or when whole foods are not available or convenient. In this case, I would say that it is quite effective as it definitely does help in reaching that goal. Others may use it in baking in order to boost the protein value of certain baked goods. In this area, I found that it reacted like any other whey protein. Some people may be looking to gain weight and like to have a liquid supplement in order to reach their goals. This could help by not keeping to full so that they can add in other calories later. In this regards, it works quite well as it is fast digesting and leaves room for other calories. I'd say that most people who use this whey isolate are probably using it around training, which is how I used it. Whether or not you believe in the anabolic window, it is still nice to make sure that you get in your protein and carbs to fuel your workout and to replenish afterwards. This protein is absolutely perfect for that as it is of the highest quality, is quick digesting, and has the highest biological value. These are all important for muscle protein synthesis. Will you see extraordinary gains beyond what you would if you used another protein or whole foods, probably not. But you can be rest assured that you are not selling yourself short by using this product.

In doing what it claims to do, with realistic expectations, I would rate the effectiveness as a 10/10

--Value----
At the time of writing this review, every web site I consulted had it listed at $39.99 for a 2 pound tub. This works out to $1.34 per serving. It is definitely not the most economical protein out there, that is for sure. In order to determine the value, you would have to assess the importance you weigh on the highest quality of ingredients and the openness of the brand vs the actual benefits you will see from taking it over others. For my personal beliefs, I would rate the value at a 7/10. I like the quality and trust the company, but more often than not, my wallet would have me looking at cheaper alternatives.

----Side Effects--
None to speak of for me, although those with lactose intolerance may have some issues.

--Conclusion--

There is no denying that Nutrabio makes great quality products. I personally trust the brand and believe that they are doing good for the supplement industry. In terms of protein powders, you will not find a higher quality product than this. The taste is ok if used in a decent ratio to liquid. It is quite pricey but that price may be something you would want to pay for such a product.
  • Cookies & Cream: 7/10