Whey Protein Isolate Reviews

By: NutraBio

Overall
Overall
Thanks to NutraBio for sending it out!
  December 3, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • No Fillers
  • Super Clean Protein
  • Lactose And Gluten Free
  • Good Price
  • I Use It Daily
  • Dissolves Effortlessly
  • Poor Taste
  • Light On Taste

Whats up SR, my first review in a little while. I chose to review this product as with my busy training and work schedule sometimes its hard to meet my nutrition needs and a protein shake is a perfect solution when Im on the go. My training is early morning Hypertrophy based but is beginning to lean towards a powerbuilding style with lots of heavy compound movements. I also train boxing and muay thai in the evening, so sometimes its hard to get all of my nutrients in. Shoutout to Nutrabio and the Trooper program for hooking this up!

This may be the easiest ingredient profile I have ever broken down. This product is exactly what it says it is, 100% whey protein isolate (non-denatured). Other then that you have some very basic flavourings and thickening agents. Very impressed with this, I love seeing a simple profile, clearly no amino spiking, big points for a label like this. I'll include a photo of the label for reference.
The Marcos are:
Protein: 25g
Fat: 0
Carbs: 2g

Very standard Macro breakdown.

The mixability is fantastic, much like many other isolate it mixes very easily and does not leave clumps or floaters. As it is an isolate, the texture is relatively "thin", which I personally do prefer. I personally dosed it at 2 scoops per serving but did also try a single scoop.
The flavour is where this lost points for me. I received the Cinnamon Bun flavour, upon receiving my tub I immediately opened it and was shocked by how great it smelled. It smelled as though I had just walked into a Cinnabun. Wow was I excited to try this, threw a scoop in my shaker with a little water and... Nothing? It tasted like nothing, a very weak vanilla flavour with a cinnamon smell but zero cinnamon taste. Unfortunately at a 2 scoop serving the results were the same, extremely bland and left me very disappointed. I fiddled with the amount of water I used, from a small amount to a full shakers worth of water and every time was left drinking the same under flavoured protein shake. To be fair the flavour isn't bad, its mainly just non existent. Very disappointing after how great it smells. As someone who looks forward to a good tasting shake while dieting there is no bigger let down.

The effectiveness of a protein powder is very hard to gauge. As most of us know results come down to diet and training, this product did help me meet my diet needs and therefore I can say that it was effective as a meal replacement and it helped me hit my protein requirements for the day. I also had zero stomach issues on this product which is a major plus and found it very easy to digest. Dosed at 2 scoops per serving this is an effective isolate protein that can be used as a post workout shake or a meal replacement if stuck in a jam. This is also lactose and gluten free, thus making it a very viable option for people who must avoid either.

This retails for $39.99 on average, with it being around 30 scoops per 2lb tub you are looking at $1.33 per serving, not bad for a well put together isolate of a very high quality. Like most proteins you get what you pay for, and for a quality as high as this product, you can expect to pay. Also like other proteins, the dollar value is better in a larger tub, so keep that in mind if considering this product.

Side Effects

No side effects, no stomach issues.

Conclusion

In conclusion this product is exactly what it says it is, a high quality isolate protein, with a great macro profile this is a fantastic option for post workout shakes and to help make the most of those hard workouts. However the flavour was such a let down that I struggle to really give this product a raving review, maybe the other flavours are better? But after reading other reviews it seems that many of the other options may be lacklustre as well. If you make a post workout or morning smoothie this may be a great option as it does not have a strong enough flavour to over power and could work well with fruits and other ingredients. Overall the product is very solid and is a clean protein which means it will be effective in helping you hit macronutrient goals and aid in recovery, but the flavouring lacked severely so for that reason it loses a lot of points in my books.
  • Cinnamon Bun: 3/10