PRE Workout V5 Reviews

By: NutraBio

Overall
Overall
Thanks to NutraBio for sending it out!

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Fully Disclosed Label
  • Great Pumps
  • Research Based
  • Uses Artificial Sweeteners
  • Slight Crash
  • Headache And GI Issues At Times
  • Crash

I have always really liked Nutrabio products. I use their various protein powders and multivitamin but I have not really used their pre workouts. I did review the extreme version and while I enjoyed it I did have some side effects. So, when I saw this one come up I wanted to try it. Since, some of the ingredients I suspected caused the side effects were not in this (HBCD) or were toned down (stimulants). Here is the review.

There are quite a few ingredients in this product so I am not going to go through them all. I do instead want to discuss a few and my feelings toward them in this product. The first is 3g of creatine monohydrate and 500 mg of creatine magnapower. This makes a total of 3.5g of creatine in the product. While I do on occasion supplement with creatine I am not a fan of it in my pre workouts. I do a lot of endurance work and I notice that when I supplement with creatine I just feel slightly bloated, heavy, and dehydrated. This is even with increasing my water intake. I do wish that Nutrabio had a creatine free version of their pre workout. I noticed that all of their pre workouts include creatine. Another ingredient I want to mention is 750 mg of nitrosigine, which is one that I find beneficial for increased pumps.

The next ingredient I want to talk about is the 350 mg of caffeine. The caffeine is split with 250 mg coming from caffeine anhydrous and 100 mg from infinenergy. I was unsure of how I would take to this amount of caffeine. I did have a slight crash and headache when taking this, which leads me to believe 350 mg of caffeine all at once is too much for me. The product does include 300 mg of l-theanine but that wasn't enough to blunt the caffeine. I think if I had to put a number to an at acute dosage of caffeine it would be about 250 mg. Now, one thing I have noticed is that with natural caffeine I usually won't get side effects. I just recently tried Nutrabio Natural Pre which uses natural caffeine and infinenergy at a 350 mg dosage. When taking that I did not have the crash or headache but I only had 5 doses and not 20.

The last thing I want to mention is that most of Nutrabio products are sent out for third party testing. The product I received was from lot# 225939A. To see the results you can go to (http://www.nutrabio.com/product/PRE/) and then the test results tab. Once there enter the lot number and it will display the results. When I searched the tub I had all of the ingredients were very close to label claims and some were over and others just under. I really like this level of transparency from Nutrabio.

I received the blue raspberry flavor of Nutrabio Pre. The powder itself definitely has a blue raspberry type smell. When you mix this up there is a blue tint from the product from spirulina, which they use for color. When mixed it almost smells like a stereotypical blue snow cone. The first taste is really candy like at first like those blue lollipops they give out for free at banks. Then it is followed by a tartness and it then a kind of dull raspberry taste. It honestly was pretty good and I was surprised by it. In terms of mixability, there was some slight foaming when initially mixing the product in a shaker bottle. There was also a layer of undissolved powder at the bottom of the shaker, I presume this is the creatine. In terms of dosing, I only ever used one scoop on workout days. I did sometimes split the dose and drink half before the gym then half before cardio at the park.

Nutrabio Pre was definitely an effective product for energy and pumps. I also found it effective for running whether it was sprints or long distance. I noticed that when I would take this there would be an energy spike that would hit quickly. I did like this at times since I was able to start working out quicker and at a more intense level. It would then begin to fall off quicker than I would like but I was always able to finish my workout before I would crash. On days that I would split the dosage, I did not have the large spike of energy and it was more even. I will note that when trying out the Natural Pre that has organic caffeine as opposed to caffeine anhydrous it was more balanced.

As far as pumps goes this pre workout really shined. I definitely noticed that the pumps I would get from this exceed just citrulline alone. The pumps were quite impressive on days I did biceps and chest. I also noticed them while running as my quads were a lot more pumped after doing hill or sprint work.

In terms of running, I noticed a definite increase in performance over caffeine alone. I felt that I was more focused on my run and could go at a higher intensity. I also noticed that I would be able to run a little longer than I usually would. I will note though that I was more thirsty when taking this and running. I think that had to do with the creatine monohydrate in the product combined with the season changing (warmer out). I did up my water intake but I was still more thirsty than before. It did not impact my performance much but I could see it doing so if it was a lot warmer and I was sweating more.

Nutrabio Pre retails for $39.99 making it $2.00 per serving. I do not usually see Nutrabio products go on sale but I have seen on occasion 20% off at bodybuilding.com. Comparing this to other popular pre workouts, Pre Kaged goes for $1.80 per serving and Pre Jym is $1.78 per serving. Cellucor C4 Ultimate is $2.00 per serving but can be cheaper depending on the bottle size purchased. None of the other brands listed have the third party tests for each lot of product listed on their website like Nutrabio. I do find value in having that level of transparency. I could see myself interchanging and cycling through all of the preworkouts I listed above but I would adjust the dosage on some due to the caffeine. This in turn would increase the the value of them. I think what it will come down to is what ingredients you want in your pre workout.

Side Effects

I did have a slight crash and headache at times when taking this. I did not have it when I split the doses but I think the 350 mg of caffeine is at the top of my caffeine dosing all at once. I also had some slight GI issues for the first week of taking this. I am unsure what ingredient it was but it could have been the creatine as I have had issues with monohydrate in the past. The GI issues stopped after about a week and it was back to normal while I took the product.

Conclusion

Nutrabio Pre was an effective product with some side effects. While the side effects never impacted performance they were annoying to deal with. This pre workout did help my performance in the gym and on the trail. There is pretty good value here especially if you value transparency with third party testing. I definitely think that this pre workout is worth a try.

-Xcmiler
  • Blue Raspberry: 8/10

• jamesjsix
    April 28, 2018

Did you notice this being any less effective as a whole than the extreme version?

• Xcmiler
    April 28, 2018

@jamesjsix No, the side effects were worse with the Extreme version, which impacted the effectiveness. If I had to personally rate the effectiveness of the three Nutrabio workouts I have tried they would be Natural Pre (1), Regular Pre (2), and then Extreme (3).

• jamesjsix
    April 29, 2018

Thanks, I'm just about finished my TROOPer run with Spectrum RX and I'm going to try either a NutraBio or PreKaged next, wasn't sure which NutraBio I would go with if i go in that direction

• Xcmiler
    April 29, 2018

You can't go wrong with either. Nutrabio and Kaged are my go to companies for a lot of product categories.