PRE Workout V5 Reviews

By: NutraBio

Overall
Overall
Thanks to NutraBio for sending it out!
  April 20, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Fully Disclosed Label
  • Proper Doses
  • Research Based

Nutrabio's V5 PreWorkout is the new standard bearer for transparent labeling, effective dosages, and the inclusion of trademarked ingredients. If you're ready to invest in a high quality Pre, look no further.

Most mornings I'm up before the sun to chase the pump and I need a good preworkout to get me moving, more often than not. Finding one that suits my schedule is harder than it looked. The early morning lifts mean I'm also lifting fasted and while I need a good amount of stimulants to get revved up, a lot of preworkouts I've tried have gone overboard and cause side effects. V5 is the perfect balance though. Nutrabio puts no shortage of thought behind each one of the ingredients in their products and V5 is no exception.

V5 is broken into 4 main categories: Power, strength, & endurance complex; Nitric Oxide Pump Matrix; Focus & Stim Matrix; and Electrolyte & Hydration Optimizer

P, S & E Complex:
    - 3.5g Leucine, naturally fermented & vegan. Leucine is touted as the most beneficial of the branch-chain amino acids, but is rarely represented on its own as it is here. However, this is right in the middle of the effective dose range and should help to increase protein synthesis as a result.
    - (3.2g) Clinical Dose of Beta Alanine HPLC to help with stamina & endurance by staving off lactic acid buildup. They use CarnoSyn, recognized as the industry's best version.
    - 3g PharmaPure Creatine Monohydrate HPLC > Normally if creatine is included, I'd like it to be at 5g, but HPLC is supposed to be much more bio-available and absorbable.
    - 2.5g Betaine Anhydrous HPLC This dose is right on point with the average recommendation. Anything higher can lead to fishy smelling body odor (no thanks).
    - 1.7g DL Malic Acid: Strange to see this on its own and not tied to the creatine or citrulline. I'm not sure of the benefit it is supposed to serve, but may be included for taste purposes. This wouldn't explain the categorization though.
    - 500mg MagnaPower - This is another fast absorbing creatine and brings the total creatine to 3.5g. It also adds 40mg of magnesium which should assist in mind-muscle connection, as well as recovery, but this would be a low dose as a standalone.

NO Pump Matrix
    - 6g L-Citrulline, kyowa quality: this was one of the doses NutraBio bumped up when reformulating. This is as much as I'd want to see personally. Anything more than this and I think it would cause stomach problems.
    - 1g Agmatine Sulfate: I'm actually not a fan of agmatine. I think it can be ineffective and actually make pumps worse.
    - 750mg Nitrosigine- big time pumps and an investment in a trademarked version again. It's not a huge dose, but it will be effective.

Focus & Stim Matrix
    - 1.5g Tyrosine: This is a good dose and should help improve focus and reduce stress. If you lift fasted, this could assist in preventing cortisol spikes from the stress you are putting on your body.
    - 500mg VitaCholine: The jury is out on the effectiveness of Choline in relation to training, but VitaCholine is the gold standard and the dose is the top end of what you'd want to supplement with daily for general health purposes
    - Caffeine
    > Anhydrous (250mg HPLC)
    > Infinergy (100mg caffeine + 33mg malic acid) : This is my ideal serving for a PWO. Anything more and I get all cracked out, anything less and I can barely open my eyes. I love to see this is HPLC and in hindsight I'd say the energy did kick in rapidly, as would be expected from this processing method.
    - 300mg TheaPure: This is an AWESOME dose of theanine in a very pure form. It will add additional energy, while also managing the absorption of the caffeine and preventing crashes.
    - 100mcg Huperzine A: This is a cognitive super supplement that should be effective at this dose. Multiple studies have been done at this dose that exhibit memory improvement and lay claim to its effectiveness as a nootropic

Electrolyte & Hydration Optimizer
    - 2g Taurine
    - 525mg Calcium Potassium Phosphate Citrate
    - 189mg Sodium Phosphate
    I'm a big fan of including electrolytes in a PWO and find they play a big role and making cardio more manageable. The Taurine will be doubly helpful in preventing cramps from the pumps that can occur with the high doses of pump ingredients.

The common trend through most of the ingredients is the HPLC processing which stands for High Pressure Liquid Chromatography. This supposedly breaks down the molecules into their smallest possible form to increase the rate of absorption.

The other common trend is that there is no fluff. You do not, and I'd be willing to say will not ever, see NutraBio adding fluff to their panel. Their best consumer is an educated consumer and you'll just never see them add an ingredient at an ineffective dose in order to just say it's included.

Huge amount of respect to NutraBio for this transparent, killer ingredient panel!!

Taste: NutraBio doesn't over flavor their products. The blue raspberry I received was fantastic and I enjoyed it from the first dose to the last

Mixability: This dissolved very easily, but did leave one of the thickest foams I've ever encountered after shaking. It would even stick around after I finished and refilled my water bottle with water. There are no artificial dyes in this either, but NutraBio used Spirulina for some color which actually resulted in a very pale blue.

Dosing: I took this with 15 minutes of starting my workout and really felt it kick in by the time I'd completed my warm-up.

Overall, I had a great run with V5. There were definitely some days that I felt tired or run down due to lack of sleep over my 20 days taking it, but I was able to get moving and make the most of my workout anyway. I hit some good numbers on my rows and deadlifts and am sure I would be able to say the same about my bench if it weren't for my AC joint injury.

My only gripe is that the creatine in the PWO along with the creatine I was taking separately did cause a bit of water retention since I was getting close to 14g daily for a while when taking both. I was able to reduce my separate creatine consumption to 1 dose daily which alleviated most of the water retention, but I do still have a little bit. Nothing major, and in fairness I basically just look more athletic while retaining that water as opposed to cut up.

I wish I had taken this at a time where I was playing a sport as well, but I'm currently only training. I feel like the added creatine would've been a big help in that department.

In terms of pumps, I do think the agmatine took away from those slightly, but that's usually the case. Even still I did notice good muscle fullness and maybe just slightly less vascularity than I'd hoped.

As for energy, this was really great. I was really awake all morning from my serving of this at about 5:30 each morning and never noticed a crash.

At $39.99 for 20 servings, V5 is justifiably one of the more expensive PWOs available without apology. They have no interest in being the cheapest, they want to be the best. This is a fair price for what you're getting.

Side Effects

Nothing really, minus a little water retention when taking in collaboration with other creatine supplements.

Conclusion

NutraBio impresses as expected. This is a great premium PWO and I'd recommend anyone try it. It's worth saving for and will give you close to a month of rock solid workouts. THANK YOU to NutraBio for letting me give it a shot. It's (almost) always a pleasure to use their products!
    • Blue Raspberry: 8/10