Muscle Matrix Reviews

By: NutraBio

Overall
Overall
Thanks to NutraBio for sending it out!
  December 20, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • High-Quality Blend
  • Fully Disclosed Label
  • Light Feeling Blend
  • No Added Anything
  • The Flavoring Could Use Work

Intro

Glad to have a go with another Nutrabio product. A year or so ago, a half and half whey/casein blend began being pushed onto the market as the new more anabolic protein supplementation method. Though that wave of products has since died down, it's a lane for products like Muscle Matrix Protein to make their way.

55% Fast Release Whey Protein Isolate / 45% Slow Release Micellar Casein
Whey Protein Isolate
16.31g WPI90 + cold processed + instantized w/ sunflower lecithin = 14.19g yield
Micellar Casein
13.68g Casein + cold processed + instantized w/ sunflower lecithin = 10.81g yield
Flavoring
natural flavor 750mg, cocoa powder 750mg, xanthan gum 210mg, salt 110mg, sucralose 80mg

Taste

This is the big disappointment for me. Most of the time I will go out of my way to excuse flavoring. Sometimes ingredients (or the lack thereof) will make it difficult to achieve the desired taste. Production mishaps can cause whole lots and batches to be awful.

Nutrabio provided me with the Cookies and Cream flavor... at best, I got Cream. It doesn't taste bad, just like any off-vanilla flavor. Nutrabio is pretty good at flavoring despite the handicap of actually being as clean as can be. But that expertise doesn't show itself in this particular flavor of Muscle Matrix.

Mixability

This one being just under half casein, the consistency will be inherently thicker and slightly more difficult to mix in cold water. However the way this is processed and instantized, all that's required is a little more rigorous shaking.

For a blend that's almost half casein, it's surprisingly light. I figured to at least feel a little more on the gut than a typical whey... but that's exactly what this feels like. Taking this before bed most nights, I hardly felt it sit on me laying down for the night.

I struggle with the value relative to the quality. There's no gimmicks in this time release blend... you are getting the good stuff. So a regular price of $39.99 feels steep. But put this against a 2lb container of high quality whey isolate and it's the same cost. In that right, I can't justify slamming the price point as tempting as it may be.

Side Effects

Allergen - Dairy

Conclusion

Say what you will about having to pay through the nose a little bit for their products, but Nutrabio continues to deliver on quality in full. I didn't feel myself wasting muscle for the several hours following my serving, including waking up after my nighttime shakes. Because Nutrabio has a good reputation and I think of them as such, I hope this cookies n cream flavor was a rare exception in blandness. The protein itself is well done and may earn the extra dollars.
  • Cookies and Cream: 6/10