Muscle Matrix Reviews

By: NutraBio

Overall
Overall
Thanks to NutraBio for sending it out!
  January 7, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • High-Quality Blend
  • Non-GMO
  • FDA Inspected
  • Fully Disclosed Label
  • Repairs Muscle
  • Third Party Testing
  • High Protein Per Serving
  • The Flavoring Could Use Work

Over the past few years I have become a fan of Nutrabio. I currently take their multivitamin, vitamin D, and all my bulk supplements will come from them. Since they started letting the consumer view the third party tests I have been moving the bulk of what I take under the brand. So, when Muscle Matrix Protein came up for review I knew I wanted to try it as it has been on my radar for quite some time. Here is the review.

Muscle Matrix Protein comes in two types of tubs. The first is a five pound tub and the one I received was a two pound tub. In the tub, there are about 28 servings with each serving being about 31g. From each serving you are getting 120 calories, 0.5g of fat, 2g of carbohydrates, and 25g of protein. The protein source is a combination of non denatured whey protein isolate (WPI) and micellar casein. You are looking at 16.31g of WPI that yields 14.19g of complete protein and 13.68g of casein that yields 10.81g of complete protein. So, 55% of the protein is from WPI while 45% is from casein protein. The big key here is that with WPI is fast digesting while casein is slow digesting. So, in this case Nutrabio states that this protein will elevate muscle protein synthesis for up to four hours. In addition, there is also 1.6g of flavoring with 750 mg of natural flavors, 450 mg of cocoa powder, 2010 mg of xanthan gum, 110 mg of salt, and 80 mg of sucralose. Not many supplement companies will also disclose their levels of flavoring and I think it is great that Nutrabio does it.

One of my favorite things about the profile in Nutrabio is that I can look up a third party test for the protein content of the batch my protein came from. The lot number on my bottle is from #225433A and the test reports that in each serving there is 25.47g of protein. This is great that a consumer has the ability to look up the third party testing.

Muscle Matrix Protein currently comes in four flavors they are chocolate peanut butter, chocolate, vanilla, and cookies & cream. I requested and received the cookies & cream flavor. I always mixed the protein with skim milk and noticed that it had a very creamy milk smell. When you first drink it you are hit with a very slight mellow taste that could be described as cookie dough. This taste then quickly goes to cream and that is how the flavor finishes. I will note there's a slight creamy aftertaste, which I attribute to the casein (and probably the milk). It mixes very well with a blender bottle and is a little on the thicker side. I really prefer this as I felt like their whey protein isolate was too thin. As far as dosing goes, I used this to fill in my protein macros so it varied daily.

I always find it challenging to rate the effectiveness of a protein supplement since it really is a food. I always use protein powder to fill in my daily macros and when I review them I look for subtle variations in my training. The first major thing I noticed that my strength, recovery, and endurance did not dip when I switched to this protein. I noticed a subtle increase in my recovery and that in turn I feel like led to better training sessions. This then of course would lead to some increase in strength. One of the major things I noticed with this protein was the ability it had to digest slowly but not weighing be down. In the past with other whey protein blends they would make me feel heavy. Muscle Matrix did not and I used it often for a pre workout protein shake and between the gym and park. This was great since in the past I have gotten hungry during my workout or run.

I think the most notable area this product helped me with was with recovery from running. I noticed on days that I will just do cardio I would always be drained after run. After I would run I started drinking this protein and noticed I was less fatigued. I have tried to eat a meal after those runs but that would leave me tired. So, there was something about this protein that gave me a jolt of energy so I could continue my day after an early morning run. I have noticed this in the past with other protein blends but I do feel like this product stayed with me a little longer.

Nutrabio Muscle Matrix Protein retails for $39.99 for about 28 servings making it $1.42 per scoop. Also, this is available in a 5 pound tub that retails for $79.99 with about 71 servings making it $1.12 per serving. Comparing to to some other proteins with similar ingredients at their largest tub size, Pro Jym goes for $1.10 per serving. Syntha 6 goes for $.94 per serving and PES Select is $.91 per serving. Muscle Matrix Protein is towards the expensive side since the other proteins listed frequently go on sale. I see Nutrabio sales about twice a year and the largest I have seen is 20%. Personally, I don't mind paying the extra with Nutrabio since I know I am getting a quality product. Also, I am able to view third party testing for the lot number of the batch of protein in my bottle.

Side Effects

I had no side effects while taking this product.

Conclusion

Overall, Nutrabio Muscle Matrix is a great whey protein isolate and micellar casein blend. It helped with my recovery, which in turn helped me to continue to achieve my fitness goals. The flavor is okay but I will be honest I have always thought Nutrabio flavoring was just okay. I feel like it is competitively priced. It has a large edge due to the ability to view third party testing for protein content. Muscle Matrix Protein is definitely worth a try.

-Xcmiler
  • Cookies and Cream: 7/10