Muscle Matrix Reviews

Overall
Overall
  November 28, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • High-Quality Blend
  • Non-GMO
  • FDA Inspected
  • Fully Disclosed Label
  • No Added Anything
  • Repairs Muscle
  • May Be A Little Expensive
  • Whey Isolate Volume Per Serving Could Be Increased Slightly

A great protein blend from an extremely reliable, trustworthy company. There could be maybe a couple competitors that are "better" in certain categories but overall, Nutrabio's Muscle Matrix Protein is difficult to top.

Hey everybody. I recently finished my first run of this product. Prior to taking this I was using plant protein exclusively for a couple years not because of allergies or anything but just because I found a product I liked and stuck with it. After having used a couple other Nutrabio products, I decided to try this blend. I am also running Nutrabio's Creatine Mono with this.

This is a Nutrabio product so of course, the label is fully disclosed.
1 serving is equal to one scoop (31 grams).

Calories: 115 - This is the right amount, IMO. Most of the competitors fall within the range of about 100- 120 per serving.
Fat: Half a gram. Again, this is pretty normally and the right amount.
Carbs: Only 2 grams. I don't like protein supps with too many carbs, especially if I'm taking a carb supp pre, intra, or post workout
Sugar: Less than 1 gram. Again, solid here and surprising given how good this tastes (I'll get into that below). They do use sucralose for sweetening which I'm ok with but I know some people have an issue with it so be aware there is 65mg of Sucralose.

Protein: Ok, here's the important part - There's 25 total grams of protein which is broken down as follows:
Whey Isolate - 14.19 grams*
Micellular Casein - 10.81 grams*

*These amounts are the final yield after processing. I love that they disclose the amounts they start with and then the final yield (Whey - 16.31 grams; Casein - 13.35 grams). They could easily, as many companies would do, just take the amounts they start with and say that's how much protein is in each serving.
Overall, this is a solid protein protein profile for a blend. If I had to knock this a little bit, it would be here though. I think they could bump up the amount of whey isolate slightly. 16 or 17 grams would be ideal for a blend. I usually look for 15 grams as a minimum.

There's also a healthy amount of Calcium ( 387mg), and 173 mg of Phosphorus, as well as Magnesium, Sodium, and Potassium.

AMINO PROFILE: There's a wide variety of aminos per serving. Everything from Lysine, Serine, Tyrosine to Gluatamine and Leuicine, and more. The total amount is only 5.2 grams which I think is a little light. I'd like to see it closer to 6 or 7 grams but still, I like the fact that there are both BCAAs and EAAs in each scoop.

Flavoring - "natural flavor," cocoa powder, xantham gum, salt, SUCRALOSE

Overall, I like these ingredients a lot. They're pretty typical for a protein blend product and there are no fillers, just ingredients that you need in effective doses.

I ran the "Dutch Chocolate" flavor and I have to say, I was very impressed. As I mentioned above, I had been on plant protein for a couple years so I got used to that faint "plant" taste. I have used whey protein before and I take casein at night so I know what milk proteins generally taste like. That said, this one has a smooth chocolatey flavor without the strong milky taste. I also really like that the aftertaste isn't extreme. As we probably all know, milk and wheys, caseins, milk proteins usually have a bad aftertaste. This has an aftertaste but it's not overpowering like I somewhat expected.

I mixed this in a shaker bottle and it mixed consistently without any "chunks" or residue on the sides or lid of the shaker. I mixed a scoop of creatine in it and that mixed nicely with Muscle Matrix Protein. This was not "foamy" but it was a little thick which I didn't mind since the taste was so good.

Dosing- I took one scoop/serving post-workout and in the 2lb jug, there's 29 servings.

Very effective. I was taking 30 grams of plant protein which is fast releasing like whey protein so I was a little worried there might be a drop off in effectiveness or gains because I was taking half as much "fast releasing" protein. However, I noticed solid gains, with no drop off with the additional benefit of feeling somewhat full for a longer period of time (which is what I was looking for) due to the casein. Previously, I'd take my post workout shake and be hungry a short time after whereas with this, I didn't feel as hungry for a longer period of time.
I not only used this post-workout but I also used it on non-workout days or as a "snack" throughout the day and it was definitely effective in terms of feeling full, like I ate.

You can get this directly from Nutrabio for $39.99 for the 2lb jug. Most retailers have it at $39.99 but I have seen it occasionally at $35.99. I have it on auto-ship at Vitamin Shoppe so I'm getting it for about $36. At the regular price with 29 servings that puts it at about $1.38 per serving. This is maybe a little high but given the fully disclosed label and the trustworthiness of Nutrabio, this is a fair price. RC's ProAntium is maybe slightly cheaper per serving but if you can get this at the cheaper $36 price, they're about the same.

Side Effects

None at all, which says a lot since I had not taken Whey in a couple of years.

Conclusion

Nutrabio's products are always fully disclosed which I love. This is a great post workout protein and I like the blend because it keeps protein in my system for several hours due to the slow release casein but yet still feeds my muscles with whey right after the workout. I am going to stay on this as my regular post work out protein for awhile. This protein blend is also effective as a snack or as part of a meal on non-workout days so the versatility adds to the overall soundness of the product.
  • Dutch Chocolate: 9/10

• dmf8625
    November 29, 2018

In regards to your comments about the amino acid profile, the "5.2" number is only referring to the amount of BCAAs per serving that are naturally occurring from the protein but each serving has a total of 18 amino acids in it equaling far more than your desired 6 or 7 grams.

And since this product includes two sources of complete protein, there will always be the EAAs in each scoop.