Java Whey Protein Reviews

By: NutraBio

Overall
Overall
9.5
Thanks to NutraBio for sending it out!
  January 5, 2017

• Quality Protein
  • 200mg Will Effect Everyone Differently
  • Bigger Tubs

Introduction + Ingredient Profile

When it comes to protein powders, I really do not think many companies can match the quality that NutraBio puts out. They offer a wide selection of proteins and they are all super high quality with great profiles. NB's Java Whey contains 200 mg of caffeine and a mini multivitamin in addition to 25 g of absorbable protein and a single gram of carbohydrate. That is it. There is no fat and there are (really less than) 110 calories per scoop. I think adding caffeine to a protein is a great idea. Although NB is not the only company to do so, there is definitely a limited amount of options when it comes to protein and caffeine in one. In each scoop of Java Whey, there is 200 mg of caffeine. 38 mg comes from the natural caffeine from the Colombian coffee and there is 162 mg of anyhydrous. I would have probably liked to see a little less caffeine in each scoop. Somewhere between 100 mg and 150 mg max would have made this a little more versatile I think. 200 mg makes it a bit harder to take late at night and if you take a pre-workout, most of them contain 200-300 mg of caffeine on average so if you consume this on training days, you potentially could be looking at 500 mg of caffeine from those two sources alone. For that reason, I really only took this on off days and usually .5-.75 of a scoop at a time to limit caffeine intake.

Taste 9/10: This has a very light coffee flavor. Unless you absolutely hate the taste of coffee, I do not see how you could have a problem with the taste of this. It is an isolate with less than half a gram of flavoring, so you have to take that into consideration.

Mixability 9/10: I did not have a problem with the texture as other reviewers had mentioned. I mixed this solely in water with ice and although it did not mix as smooth as their regular isolate, I never had any textural issues.

Dosing 8/10: Their suggested use is to add one scoop to 8-12 ounces of water or milk depending on your flavor and consistency preferences. They state it contains caffeine (obviously). I only hit them with less than ten because you have to be conscious of when you take this, but that is almost a given.

As stated earlier, I used this mostly on off days either immediately in the morning or as a quick boost of energy midday. I do not think this is a direct substitute for a pre-workout, but I guess if you were really limiting the amount of money you spent on supplements a month and had to choose between a preworkout and a protein powder, this could effectively serve both purposes (plus a mini multivitamin). Also like I stated earlier, since this contains 200 mg of caffeine and the preworkouts I have been taking contain upwards of 300 mg of caffeine, I did not want to consume Java Whey preworkout. As far as digestion, this never gave me the slightest problem with that. I do not think that I felt much from the multivitamin (note I rarely took a full scoop at a time), but I guess every bit of the micronutrients helps somehow.

This is selling for right about $40 right now. With 29 servings in a tub, that comes out to $1.38 per serving without shipping costs. This is about $0.05 more expensive than their two pound tub of whey isolate, but you are getting more in here. However, the regular whey isolate is offered in a five pound tub and that lowers the cost to about $1 per serving. I think if they offered a "Java Classic Whey" and got the price down to around $1 per serving (or even under with a bigger tub option), this would be very enticing. Their classic whey is a very good product and I made the comment on my classic whey review that unless you are worried about the 20 extra calories per scoop, I think they actually compete with their own isolate because of how good their classic whey is. Make a Java Classic Whey and this protein would be a year round staple for me.

Side Effects

I did not experience any, but make sure you do not take this too close to bed.

Conclusion

Very enjoyable product from a top contributor in the protein industry. Thank you NutraBio for sending this out for review. I hope to see a Java Classic Whey in the near future.
  • Original Blend: 9/10

• ZxExRxO
    January 5, 2017

Solid review. I love NutraBio profiles, but this is one I have yet to try. This just made the list!

• MarsheS
    January 6, 2017

I have to agree with your initial comment about the caffeine amount. For pre-workout users like me that usually use 300mg Caffeine before working out, adding another 200mg to the body might not be a good idea. I agree with you that 100-150mg would be better. But true, this product can still work for a lot of other people and even for me if I decide to use preworkouts that are not so high on Caffeine.

• JayT
    January 6, 2017

Thanks Zero, I think you should like it.

And yeah MarsheS, you have to watch the caffeine. That's why I chose to only take a half scoop at a time in most cases.

• workoutguru
    January 7, 2017

Sounds like a great product and would love to give this a try but I can't stand any thing coffee flavored.