Java Whey Protein Reviews

By: NutraBio

FORUM TOPICS

Protein > Whey Protein
Java Whey Protein is a Whey Protein Powder manufactured by NutraBio. It is a dairy based protein that supports lean muscle gain by suppling additional protein to recovering muscles, which can also improve fat loss.

9.5
  January 5, 2017

• Added Vitamins And Minerals
  • Fully Disclosed
  • Quality Protein
  • Bigger Tubs

Introduction + Ingredient Profile

When it comes to protein powders, I really do not think many companies can match the quality that NutraBio puts out. They offer a wide selection of proteins and they are all super high quality with great profiles. NB's Java Whey contains 200 mg of caffeine and a mini multivitamin in addition to 25 g of absorbable protein and a single gram of carbohydrate. That is it. There is no fat and there are (really less than) 110 calories per scoop. I think adding caffeine to a protein is a great idea. Although NB is not the only company to do so, there is definitely a limited amount of options when it comes to protein and caffeine in one. In each scoop of Java Whey, there is 200 mg of caffeine. 38 mg comes from the natural caffeine from the Colombian coffee and there is 162 mg of anyhydrous. I would have probably liked to see a little less caffeine in each scoop. Somewhere between 100 mg and 150 mg max would have made this a little more versatile I think. 200 mg makes it a bit harder to take late at night and if you take a pre-workout, most of them contain 200-300 mg of caffeine on average so if you consume this on training days, you potentially could be looking at 500 mg of caffeine from those two sources alone. For that reason, I really only took this on off days and usually .5-.75 of a scoop at a time to limit caffeine intake.

Taste 9/10: This has a very light coffee flavor. Unless you absolutely hate the taste of coffee, I do not see how you could have a problem with the taste of this. It is an isolate with less than half a gram of flavoring, so you have to take that into consideration.

Mixability 9/10: I did not have a problem with the texture as other reviewers had mentioned. I mixed this solely in water with ice and although it did not mix as smooth as their regular isolate, I never had any textural issues.

Dosing 8/10: Their suggested use is to add one scoop to 8-12 ounces of water or milk depending on your flavor and consistency preferences. They state it contains caffeine (obviously). I only hit them with less than ten because you have to be conscious of when you take this, but that is almost a given.

As stated earlier, I used this mostly on off days either immediately in the morning or as a quick boost of energy midday. I do not think this is a direct substitute for a pre-workout, but I guess if you were really limiting the amount of money you spent on supplements a month and had to choose between a preworkout and a protein powder, this could effectively serve both purposes (plus a mini multivitamin). Also like I stated earlier, since this contains 200 mg of caffeine and the preworkouts I have been taking contain upwards of 300 mg of caffeine, I did not want to consume Java Whey preworkout. As far as digestion, this never gave me the slightest problem with that. I do not think that I felt much from the multivitamin (note I rarely took a full scoop at a time), but I guess every bit of the micronutrients helps somehow.

This is selling for right about $40 right now. With 29 servings in a tub, that comes out to $1.38 per serving without shipping costs. This is about $0.05 more expensive than their two pound tub of whey isolate, but you are getting more in here. However, the regular whey isolate is offered in a five pound tub and that lowers the cost to about $1 per serving. I think if they offered a "Java Classic Whey" and got the price down to around $1 per serving (or even under with a bigger tub option), this would be very enticing. Their classic whey is a very good product and I made the comment on my classic whey review that unless you are worried about the 20 extra calories per scoop, I think they actually compete with their own isolate because of how good their classic whey is. Make a Java Classic Whey and this protein would be a year round staple for me.

Side Effects

I did not experience any, but make sure you do not take this too close to bed.

Conclusion

Very enjoyable product from a top contributor in the protein industry. Thank you NutraBio for sending this out for review. I hope to see a Java Classic Whey in the near future.
  • Original Blend: 9/10

December 29, 2016

• Quality Protein
  • Fully Disclosed
  • Added Vitamins And Minerals
  • Taste Is Mediocre

First I would like to thank NutraBio for once again allowing me to review one of their supplements, and the SR TROOP's program for making the connection possible. JavaWhey peaked my interest because I love coffee and use protein powders, so figured I might as well request to try the bottle. The product did give a slight energy boost, had a decent coffee taste, and overall worked as it's supposed too.

The ingredient profile is pretty simple and fully disclosed as per NutraBio's motto. First you have a multivitamin complex at about 1/3 your daily recommended value except for vitamins B6 and B12 which there's an abundance of. Nothing wrong here and nice to get some extra nutrients in diet especially for us active peeps.

Whey protein comes in at 25g's per serving which is an awesome amount for quality isolate. Now there's also 200mg of caffeine as well, which I was under the assumption came only from the coffee being added. However, only 38mg are from the coffee, and the other 162 are caffeine anhydrous.

I think if it was only from coffee I would have liked it better to have a stronger taste, but I guess that's personal preference and I'm sure the mixture would probably be off as well. Lastly, there's only 110 calories per serving for those who are doing fat loss.

Taste is pretty good, but as I said I thought there'd be more of a coffee flavor. Mixing with water is perfect and the taste is awesome, but in milk the mixture is slime-like and not very pleasant texture-wise. So if you want extra calories from milk then eat a cheese stick or something similar. Seriously lol dosing I'd say is when you need protein and an extra kick. Wouldn't recommend this at night basically.

I'd say the effectiveness from this supplement comes from energy, recovery, and feeling full since it is protein. Energy wise the caffeine is noticeable enough to give you energy, but I wouldn't suggest thinking of this as like a pre-workout type of energy. Then the recovery portion seemed to be fine since it didn't drop when using this particular product, and then the protein did make me feel full for a couple of hours. Overall JavaWhey did what it was supposed to do. Nothing more or less.

This comes in at $39.98 for 29 servings no matter where I looked. I'd say this is pretty pricey, but then again you're paying for quality and the extra ingredients added in with the 25g's of protein per serving. Basically this is catered towards those who want quality over price, so that's how I look at the value as well. If you wanted coffee with protein that's cheaper add a scoop of another whey protein to your mug.

Side Effects

Conclusion

I'd recommend this supplement to those who are seeking a protein with caffeine added in. I don't think it's for everyone price wise, but you will get the quality you're paying for. Taste is decent but I'd like more coffee flavor honestly. Thanks for allowing me to review your JavaWhey product NutraBio.

December 25, 2016

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Great Coffee Flavor
  • Ultra Pure Isolate
  • 200mg Will Effect Everyone Differently
Hey SR! I'm back with another review. I want to thank NutraBio for allowing me to try this product. This time on a very interesting supplement. Protein and caffeine mixed together from NutraBio. I loved the idea. But was it the best idea, combining the two?

NutraBio uses their high quality whey isolate. If you want a review on their whey isolate, you can check out my NutraBio whey isolate or any other SR Trooper reviews. In a short summary, their whey isolate is high quality. High quality whey isolate plus caffeine, 38 mg from the coffee and 162 mg from caffeine. 200 mg of caffeine and a total of 25 grams of protein.

Taste/Mixability
I'm not a big coffee drinker but the taste was excellent. It wasn't a strong coffee flavor but the flavor was still there. Mixing it with milk was not the greatest. Expert reviewer Lava said it best when mixed with milk. He said it was a "gelled texture". Then with water, he said "a really healthy latte type drink served over extra ice". I could not have said it any better. I recommend going with the water route. It takes the slimy texture to a minimum.

Mixability was okay. It mixed perfectly for me, meaning no gritty or specs settled at the bottom. However it left a slimy coating on the side of my shaker cup.

Dosing was easy. No more than one scoop per day for me. I usually drank this either in the morning or at a time I needed caffeine. I would not recommend drinking this on an empty stomach though. However the dosing is not very versatile.

It was definitely effective. When I had it on an empty stomach it was like a blow to the face. But the energy was definitely felt. When I drank it, it gave me a steady flow of energy and helped me stay up late night. It was also helpful with getting my protein intake in. 25 grams was helpful to my daily macros. Usually I drink 1 zero calorie Monster a day, but having Java Whey was a healthy replacement.

The cheapest I could find was on Amazon for $39.89. That means $1.38 per scoop. Looking at other reviews, other troopers were able to find it at a much cheaper price. The price must have gone up over the past year. I feel that at the current price it is a fair price. NutraBio's whey isolate runs the same price, except this product has added caffeine to it. It all depends on personal preference, but I personally would just get their whey isolate not Java Whey.

Side Effects
When you drink the product on an empty stomach, it has strong side effects. Drink it with at least something in your stomach. It is a whey isolate but it should not be chugged down on an empty stomach. It also made me drink a lot of water. but that was due to the caffeine.

Conclusion
The product was great and the two supplements definitely combined to make one great product. I want to thank NutraBio again for allowing me this great opportunity. I also want to thank SR for giving me this opportunity.

March 22, 2014

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Great Coffee Flavor
  • Ultra Pure Isolate
  • Bigger Tubs
Most people have been taught to consume a protein shake post workout, personally I have always enjoyed consuming my shakes anytime during the day. When I learned about Java Whey I was super stoked because as of late I have been focusing a lot more on pre workout nutrition. So instead of consuming a pre workout stimulant drink I found that Java Whey gave me the perfect amount of energy while feeding my muscles with quality protein.

Dosing/taste:7/10

From start to finish I chose to take one scoop of Java Whey 30 minutes pre workout, I never used this protein on rest days. I have never been a fan of the taste of coffee but for some reason I found Java Whey to have a pleasant taste. For me the coffee flavor wasn't over powering it was just right. One problem I did have with this stuff is the mixing was a pain. It seemed like it left a slimy residue in my shaker cups.

Effectiveness:8/10

Protein is one of the hardest supplements to gauge its effectiveness, because it doesn't provide you with instant noticeable effects. I have found if a protein is poor in quality it gives me stomach issues. With Java Whey that was never the case. Also the added 200mg of caffeine provided me with right amount of energy to get through my workouts. It was never a crazy stimulant feeling just a nice smooth alert feeling.

Value:8/10

My only problem with the value on this product is it doesn't come in larger tubs. I would like to see NutraBio make five pound tubs. With that said the two pound tubs go for $28 for 29 servings. For me 29 servings lasts me a little over a month because I only train 5 days a week. For me this makes the value well worth it, quality pure protein isolate with no fillers, you cant beat that.

Overall:8/10
Java Whey is a versatile protein that can be used in many different ways. I chose to use it pre workout only but I feel like taking a Java Whey shake would be a lot better for you than a Red Bull. Java Whey may not give you wings but it gives you protein!

March 19, 2014

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Ultra Pure Isolate
  • Taste Is Mediocre
When I first heard about Java Whey, I thought it was a great idea. A convenient way to get a quick breakfast in with stimulants to get you ready for the day. How could this not be good? Well, I'll explain why sometimes, less is more.

Profile:

I love the lack of a long ingredient list. Isolate(non-denatured), coffee, added caffeine... simple! The macros are great as well.

1c
25p

With the added vitamins/minerals, this can be used as a meal replacement as well. Some of the minerals and vitamins are lower quality however, cyanocobalamin B12(debatable), magnesium oxide come to mind.

The 200mg of caffeine is what really caught my eye. 1 scoop gives you the same amount of caffeine as roughly 2 cups of coffee.

Taste/Texture:(7/10)

Well, gotta be honest here, I was not a big fan of the flavor in this one. I usually love mixing coffee and protein in the morning. It could be because I like my coffee black, but this just doesn't compare. Perhaps making the coffee flavor stronger would help.

It mixes decent, although I usually got a few clumps here and there, uncharacteristic of an isolate. It should be noted that when looking at the powder itself, it looks to be speckled, much like cookies n cream protein powders(thanks lava)

The weird part was the texture. Mixed in water, if I did not drink it immediately, I found it to have a rather gross slimy texture.

Effectiveness:(8/10)

Now I would normally give this a 9, because well, it's protein, but due to the fact that this cannot be used late at night; the time when I usually have a protein shake to fill in my macros, I feel I need to bring this down. It is not very versatile. I know this is meant for the morning, but I have a problem with a protein powder I cannot take anytime.

The energy from 200 mg will effect everyone differently, but I personally feel it is too much. Taking 2 scoops will bring you up to 400mg of caffeine, something many people cannot handle very well. I think 100mg-150mg per scoop would make this much more versatile.

No digestion issues to note.

Value:(8.5/10)

You can get this directly from Nutrabio for $28 or so.

For a high quality isolate, $14 a pound is not a bad deal. Props here.

Overall:(8.25/10)

So, even though the quality of this product is solid, I cannot give this a higher rating due to the fact it cannot be taken anytime, and the taste/texture is "meh". I personally think it is better to do it the old school way and just mix in protein powder, with coffee when you need it.

Give this product a try, because most people on here seem to like it, I'll be on the sideline on this one however.

March 17, 2014

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Great Coffee Flavor
  • Ultra Pure Isolate
  • Texture Was A Bit Off
Whats up SR! Time for a review of Java Whey, the caffeinated whey product from Nutrabio.

Profile: 10/10
Nutrabio is well known for putting out a top quality whey and in that vein, they used their whey protein isolate – outstanding! So isolate plus coffee + added caffeine. Big props for identifying that 38mg of the caffeine comes from the coffee and the other 162 from caffeine anhydrous for a total of 200mg. Like their other isolates, each 30g scoop contains 25g of protein, ZERO grams of fat and 1g of carbs. Now that, my friends, is how isolates are done. There are absolutely no other ingredients – whey, coffee, caffeine – it doesn't get any more pure and simple than that.

Taste & Mixing: 6/10
This mixes fine in a shaker cup and the taste is a very solid coffee flavor. It's definitely not on the sweet side and I like it that way. I will say that the tub I received displayed some unusual dispersion - not joking, kind of looked like little sea monkeys (for those of you ancient enough to remember those) swimming around in it. Although the powder is kind of speckled to begin with – I assume because of the coffee; looks a lot like cookies and cream proteins.

I also highly recommend you stick with mixing this with water instead of milk. Now the label says milk will give a creamier texture but I found that if I used milk and let it sit for a bit, it got sort of a "gelled" texture that kind of freaked me out. I didn't notice this at all when mixed only with ice water. I also personally prefer using water as it reminded me of a really healthy latte type drink served over extra ice – and that's how I usually drank it.

I'm going to rate this kind of low because of the mixing issues but I do recognize that this could be simply an issue with the tub I received and hopefully the next ER can add some insight on whether or not he or she had the same issue.

I occasionally used this first thing in the AM before I went to train and found it was a great alternative to taking a pwo. However, I primarily took this in the afternoon as a snack and a quick "pick me up". It excelled in both applications. Top notch in my opinion. For me, this functions slightly different than a normal post workout whey (although if you use John Keifer's caffeine protocol it would be ideal) – instead of being my primary whey source, I used it in place of my second shake in the afternoon and I must say because of the thinner texture when mixed in water and excellent coffee flavor, I really looked forward to taking this, especially knowing that I was getting in 25g of protein instead of my normal afternoon iced coffee drink.

This can only be purchased directly from Nutrabio for $27.99 for 2 lbs. That comes out to right under $14 per pound and I don't have an issue paying that for a pure isolate that is actually giving me protein instead of fats and carbs from cheap fillers.

My personal mixing experience aside, this is a superior caffeinated protein offering. Ultra-pure and clean whey protein isolate with just added coffee and caffeine. My expectations for this product were already high due to the reputation of Nutrabio and this did not disappoint at all. If you're looking for a healthy alternative to an afternoon scoop of your pwo or a Mountain Dew, then by all means, give this a try. I really look forward to having this on hand when the weather gets hotter and I'm able to use this in the afternoon to both cool me down and pick me up all at the same time. A really great product with which to supplement both protein and caffeine consumption.