EAA Energy Reviews

By: NutraBio

ARTICLES
EAA Energy is a BCAA/Intra-Workout manufactured by NutraBio. BCAA is short for branched chain amino acids. They are the building blocks of protein and can increase protein synthesis, muscle recovery and endurance during workouts and have also been shown to reduce body fat.

January 14, 2019

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Full Disclosure
  • Mixability Issues

Not just an EEA supplement, EEA energy is a balanced and complete amino supplement. This was my go to refreshment on no training days. On training days with no pre-workout this was my intra. EEA Energy delivers a perfect dose for a morning coffee replacement or an afternoon pick me up.

The EAA/BCAA are marked as HPLC (High-performance liquid chromatography) I had never seen this acronym and had no clue what this was. After doing some research HPLC is a process where the product can be identified, quantified and purified. Knowing this really puts it into perspective that NutrBio always provides a top notch product.
EAA-BCAA matrix
BCAA (2:1:1 Ratio) - 6grams
EAA - 2.2grams
Taurine - 1200mg
L-Alanine - 600mg
Coconut Water powder -500mg
Caffeine (Infinergy 100mg PurCaf 79) providing 150mg of Caffeine
AstraGin - 50mg

I requested and received the Raspberry Lemonade and it was what you would expect. It was sweet and tart, there was a slight after taste but nothing too bad. Mixability was not the best, I recommend a shaker with a wire ball or other in bottle mixing device. Dosing was easy as any supplement in this category can be very versatile. As I mentioned I dosed this a few different ways in the morning or afternoon on non-training days or as an intra-workout on training days.

BCAA and EAAs alike can be somewhat difficult to gauge and see if they are working in our bodies unless you know what to look for. I personally look for that refreshed, somewhat cleared minded feeling. I have mentioned this in the past I have trained 3-4 days a week for the past year. My plan has slightly changed to working out 5 days for a total of 45min -1 hour. Being a family man has limited the time want to spend in the gym on any given day. So while I was taking EEA Energy I was still training for about 1.5 hours 3 - 4 times per week. At that 1 hour mark I normally start to feel a bit slower and not as concentrated in the workout. While taking EEA energy I felt completely different, obviously more energy as is contains 150mg of caffeine. But my body felt recovered and fresh, the muscles felt recovered and like they could take some more torture. The mind muscle connection was also increased as this refreshed feeling helped clear the mind.

EEA Energy is a Bodybuilding.com exclusive product and you can pick up a 30 serving tub for $25.49 this gives you a price per serving of .85 cents. I think EAA energy has really good value as it is less than a dollar per serving and you are buying a fully transparent quality product.

Side Effects

No side effects noted.

Conclusion

Nutrabio is one of those companies that has provide the consumer a high quality product a fair price. Not only do they offer quality products but these products work like they are supposed designed to. My experience with this product was positive and if you are in the market for an EEA/BCAA products this is a good one to try out.
  • Raspberry Lemonade: 8/10

December 22, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Full Disclosure
  • Hydration

Not a simple BCAA product, this supplement packs much more into each scoop that your body can use and with the caffeine to replace other options.

Greetings SR! Back again with another review and this time it's the BCAA/EAA product EAA Energy by NutraBio. Firstly, I want to thank the SR TROOPs program and NutraBio, for giving me the opportunity to try this product out. If you want to know of my background, you can find it in my profile here at:

Ingredients

L-Alanine 600mg
    CocoPure Coconut Water Powder 500mg
    Infinergy (as di-caffeine malate, yielding 75mg caffeine) - 100mg
    PurCar Organic Caffeine - 79mg

Starting off, The 'standard' dose of BCAA is 6g with a 2:1:1 split and that's right in line with what this product is filled with, although i should note that NutraBio bring fermented BCAAs to the table which, depending on the study, can have some advantages for absorption.

Next up in the ingredients is the EAAs which are aminos your body needs but cannot synthesize on its own. The inclusion of ~2.3g total is on the high end of other EAA products, no surprise from NutraBio as their products are usually clinically dosed. As with any EAA product, It's hard to argue with the ratio included as each individuals own diet will dictate how much of any single one you would be lacking in or could benefit more from.

AstraGin is an an absorption agent and the dosage is the same as if you got the product on its own. The inclusion here is nice, no good having something fully dosed if your body struggles to use it.

For the remainder, the taurine is nicely dosed a 1.2g and can aid the cardiovascular system as well as helping metabolize fat. The coconut water is good for hydration, something most of us could use some help with. The caffeine dosage is solid with 150mg total from 2 different sources. Since NutraBio is marketing this product as a possible replacement for energy drinks, this dosage is probably about right for most people, it's far less than a high-stim pre workout but enough to sip throughout the day or crush a scoop and get a little boost.

8.6/10
    Taste: They advertised cherry-limeade and that's exactly what was delivered from this sup, its not too tart of a flavor and they didn't oversweeten it either, nice mix that is easy to drink with just a little bite to it.

Mixability: No issues at all here, it mixed up quick and didn't settle out.

Dosing: One scoop per 10-16 oz of water. Alternatively, the label suggest dumping 3 scoops into a gallon and consuming throughout the day. From my perspective, it doesn't matter as much as its more of a maintenance drink than a timed drink to coincide with workouts. I usually worked out in the mornings and the was my post lunch pick-me-up and I did 1 scoop in about a quart of water over the course of an hour.

8.5/10

Just like other BCAA/EAA products, I'll say that effectiveness is always going to be a little in the eye of the beholder but from my point of view, this was an effective product because no matter when I took it, I noticed a reduction in soreness compared to not taking a BCAA product (I do get BCAAs from protein in any case but I have always noticed my DOMS reduced when taking a separate BCAA product no matter what protein I had).

The presence of the caffeine, taurine, and coconut water made this great for fighting back the post lunch, early afternoon slump that I can get and kept me from having additional coffee. This helps me to stay hydrated and energized even after a tough workout in the morning. Depending on when your workout times are, there would be other good options for when to take this so as to mesh with preworkouts and sleep timing.

8.7/10
    NutraBio generally is a top-tier product and that usually results in a top-tier price. In this case, its well priced at $1/scoop. Is that high for a BCAA product? Yes, but this isn't just a BCAA product as it has a heavy dose of EAAs as well as caffeine, circulatory aides, and hydration agents. For $1, that's a nicely equipped sup that can serve multiple purposes.

That being said, this segment of BCAA/EAAs is getting more crowded and there are other options that are similarly dosed and priced. For comparison of value, I would put this in the same category as the other recent BCAA/EAA I had which is from Myokem. Both are similarly dosed (Myokem has 8g BCAA and 2.6g EAA) and at the same price point, difference is NutraBio has caffeine and is marketed as such. Because of that, I would call it a draw and depending on how important the caffeine element is to you, there are options to suit individual needs.

Side Effects

None, this stuff goes down smooth and no issues.

Conclusion

8.6/10

NutraBio has yet another quality product on their hands here with a fully disclosed label that has everything you can expect from a BCAA/EAA in it. With a well respected name behind it, this is a solid product with solid value.
    • Cherry Limeade: 9/10

December 17, 2018

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Full Disclosure
    • Single Purchase Source

This is a versatile product that is useful for just about anyone. Where most products that are similar are essentially an energy drink, this provides legitimate value in helping you recover.

What's up SR- I'm still trying to catch up on here with some of my reviews thanks to a very busy year-end! Today I'm talking about NutraBio's bodybuilding.com exclusive: EAA Energy.

I've written reviews for similar products in the past, and I am a big fan of this category, but this one takes the cake. Most others offer trace measurements of the ingredients you need for recovery, and are really only useful for the caffeine kick-- essentially an over glorified energy drink or cup of coffee. Not the case here. NutraBio, per usual, decided to step it up a notch compared to the comp.

The ingredient profile in EAA energy is fairly straight forward. To begin, we have an 8.2g panel of BCAA/EAAs that are fermented and micronized. The BCAAs represent 6g of this in a 2:1:1 ratio. The remaining and oft forgotten EAAs are an essential complement with much lower measurements, but effective nonetheless. If you've only ever taken BCAAs I'd encourage you to try this or really any other product that offers the full spectrum of essential and branch chain amino acids. I guarantee you'll see a difference in your recovery time.

Following this we have 1.2g of Taurine, I assume to aid in blood flow and thus recovery; 600mg of L-Alanine, a non-essential amino acid (meaning it can be produced within the body); 500mg of CocoPure Coconut Water Powder to aid in hydration; 100mg of Infinergy yielding 75mg of caffeine, and 79mg of PurCaf organic green tea extract yielding another 75mg of caffeine. To aid in absorption there is 50mg of AstraGin, which in my opinion is far superior to the standard bioperine/black pepper extract.

Taste: I received Cherry Limeade, and like most NutraBio flavors, found it to be pretty good. It was a good balance of tangy and sweet, and not overpowering by any means. I've always shied away from lime and lemon flavors because they're tough to get right, but NutraBio did a good job with this.

Mixability: I had no issues here, compared to other similar products. After the initial shake there would be a bit of settling, but after a few minutes everything seemed to dissolve. I normally drank this with 16oz. of water.

Dosing: For me, this was most useful in the afternoons. It gave me a pickup in substitute of a cup of coffee, and it helped me increase my intake of amino acids. My wife, however, stole a few scoops as a preworkout and then went and bought her own tub. She's been enjoying using it for that.

For an energy drink, this was superb for me. The caffeine lasted about 3 hours but was never intense. I have a fairly high tolerance but not as high as others on this site. I wouldn't be able to use this as a PWO like my wife was able to, but it certainly kept me rolling in the office and being productive. I also noticed it seemed to have a positive impact on reducing my muscle soreness, always a plus. I can't say if it helped me much with hydration since I am constantly drinking water throughout the day, but it certainly couldn't have hurt!

At $29.99 on bodybuilding.com, EAA energy is about $1/serving. I'm fine with this. It's effective and while slightly more expensive than similar products, it blows them away in comparison.

Side Effects

Conclusion

If you're a fan of AminoEnergy by OptimumNutrition, go buy a bottle of this next time you run out. I'd give ON a slight edge in the flavor department but that edge is razor thin, whereas you're in a whole different division when it comes to the actual ingredients that will help you recover in EAA Energy. This is a superior product from a superior company. I hope they come out with an all natural version because they did a great job doing that with their pre and intra workout products already.

Go buy!
    • Cherry Limeade: 7/10

November 13, 2018

• Third Party Tested
    • Artificial Sweeteners
    • Single Purchase Source
    • Mixability Issues

From the brand:

EAA Energy is an all-day recovery and energy formula designed to be sipped throughout the day to keep you in an anabolic state and give you a clean boost of energy.* We've include all 9 essential amino acids (EAAs) that are required to maintain and build muscle, a hydration optimizer to support muscle function and health, and an energy matrix for long-lasting energy.

Hello all. Full intro about myself can be found here in the forum: https://supplementreviews.com/forum/index.php?topic=35432.0

Thank you to the team over at NutraBio for their continued participation here on SR.com and allowing us TROOPers to try and review many of the products they offer. This review is going to be for one of their newest and most hyped product releases that I can remember from this company and that is their EAA Energy product. If you have followed their social media during the time leading up to the 2018 Mr. Olympia, you would have probably seen the "teasers" about something big going to be released at the Mr. O competition. This is also a bodybuilding.com exclusive product, which means it can only be purchased from that one website and nowhere else for the time being. As this will be my first experience with an EAA product, I'm very excited to see how this goes and compare the results and feelings to my usual BCAA supplementation. Here we go...

As with every NutraBio product they produce, the label is COMPLETELY transparent, down to the amount of artificial sweeteners and natural colors that they use. In terms of the active ingredients included in each serving of EAA Energy, the fellas over at PricePlow.com did an amazing blog post breaking down all the contents of this product. Since those guys are much smarter than I about supplements, the ingredients and what they do; most of this section is attributed to their blog, which can be found here (https://blog.priceplow.com/supplement-news/nutrabio-eaa-energy). I have copy and pasted the information for those who do not wish to visit the separate website.

EAA/BCAA Blend 8.2g:
    EAA Energy starts with an 8.2g EAA and BCAA Blend. The beauty of combining both EAA and BCAA is giving the consumer a full spectrum of amino acids needed for proper protein synthesis and repair. EAAs are called "essential" amino acids because the body cannot synthesize them on its own, so they need to be ingested via proper diet or supplementation.

Taurine (1.2g)
    Taurine is an amino acid that promotes healthy electrolyte balance, insulin sensitivity, cardiovascular health, hearing function, and immune modulation. Although we can produce Taurine in our own body we still need to supplement to reach an adequate amount. NutraBio gives us a large amount of taurine at 1.2g, which will provide a strong dose to reap the aforementioned benefits of the amino acid.

L-Alanine (600mg)
    L-Alanine is a nonessential amino acid that fights fatigue and stress imposed on the body. This was put into EAA Energy to give the body an extra push during training, or used as an everyday supplement for recovery. L-Alanine is a useful ingredient to lower blood sugar, assist protein building, and help supply energy to the body during periods of oxidative damage (cardiovascular activity). Regulating blood sugar, supporting muscle development, and improving our immune system are all perks that can help a trainee perform at an optimal level in the gym.

CocoPure Coconut Water Powder: (500mg)
    Coconut Water Powder is the perfect addition to EAA Energy for restoring hydration and replenishing electrolytes during exercise. Electrolytes are minerals that play several important roles in the body, including maintaining proper fluid balance. During exercise, we lose amino acids and electrolytes and need to put them back.
    Adding coconut water powder to EAA Energy lets us put back what we lose during training. Coconut water powder also provides benefits towards digestion and energy.
    But there's a story behind this CocoPure. When NutraBio was looking for coconut water powder, they found it very difficult to find what they wanted. There was a lot of sugary stuff out there. Finally, they made it happen with CocoPure, a more highly-refined source of coconut water.

Infinergy (100mg Di-Caffeine Malate yielding 75mg Caffeine)
    Infinergy is a combination of caffeine and malic acid put together to form di-caffeine malate. The duo is broken down into a 75% caffeine and 25% malic acid ratio by molecular weight. Due to the makeup of the ingredient, absorption is slowed down (as is the "energy curve"), digestion is easier on the body, and the longer release helps minimize the caffeine crash.
    Due to this sustained energy release, it prevents less crashes then caffeine anhydrous. The mild form of caffeine helps to nullify the jitters one can experience from caffeine in stimulated supplements. The key benefits include reducing sedation by increasing adenosine, reducing fatigue, improving concentration, and boosting physical performance.

PurCaf Organic Caffeine (79mg Green Coffee Bean Extract, yielding 75mg caffeine)
    PurCaf is a water-soluble organic caffeine source for natural energy drinks. This organic ingredient is extracted from green coffee beans and is 100% free of synthetically-created chemicals. NutraBio is known for making clean formulas and this is a major reason why it is included as a secondary stimulant to di-caffeine malate.
    In comparison to synthetic caffeine anhydrous, the purity of the ingredient will provide similar energy and performance while only needing a slightly larger dose (since PurCaf is 95% caffeine by weight). PurCaf allegedly reduces stress on your adrenal glands preventing the body from burning out your central nervous system. Some attribute this to the chlorogenic acids provided in the other 5% part of the product.

AstraGin (50mg)
    AstraGin is a plant-based compound to increase the absorption of amino acids, vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients in intestinal cells. AstraGin increases the quality of nutrients, amino acids, and compounds to enhance training performance and recovery.
    Studies have shown AstraGin to repair the health of intestinal walls, and improve ATP (Adenosine Triphosphate) by 18%, increase insulin sensitivity by 38%, and glucose absorption by 57%.

Wow! This supplement is loaded, and as of this time, the most comprehensive EAA product I have seen on the market with a bunch of extras goodies to put it over the top. Since Mark Glazier and the people over at NutraBio are far smarter than I and know their science when it comes to ingredients and formulations, I have no recommendations on how this supplement could be made better other than just adding higher doses of what's already included.

Taste >> I requested and received their much hyped cherry limeade flavor and it is wonderful! I am a big fan of this flavor in supplements but some companies have really screwed it up in the past, even with products that had far less ingredients than EAA Energy. NutraBio knocked it out of the park for this supplement and flavor profile. I enjoyed the flavor when used with 16 and 24 ounces of water.

Mixability >>First off, be aware that this is a very fine powder, so be careful as it will get everywhere if you happen to spill some. This is where this product struggled a little bit during my use of the tub. Each scoop was always mixed in a metal shaker bottle (without the blender ball) with ice and cold water. No matter the amount of water used, there would always be some debris left on the sides of my shaker cup. If left to sit, there would also be some product that would settle at the bottom. Not sure if it was the coconut water powder, some aminos or a combination of both. Even with the debris that could be seen in the water, that did not affect the flavor or mouthfeel while drinking the product. There was also a little bit of foam present immediately after shaking but that went away quickly.

Dosing >> Per the brand: "Directions For EAA Energy: Mix 1 scoop with 10-16 ounces of water. Consume before, during or after exercise or sip throughout the day as a healthy energy drink substitute. Try adding 3 scoops in a gallon jug to bring with you wherever you go."

As a side note, I weighed out a level scoop of this when I first received the tub and it is right on the 14.5g listed serving size. More points to NutraBio for giving us accurate scoops in this product.

As many supplement junkies know, a loaded ingredient profile and amazing taste is all well and good but the product must perform for those aspects to play a role in the decision to actually buy a product. As mentioned previously, this was the first EAA product that I have used during my many years of training and supplementation. With the current on-going debate between the BCAA and EAA camps, this was the perfect opportunity for me to see if I could notice a difference between the two. Please note that almost all of the servings were taken on an empty stomach.

EAA Energy performed well during all the different situations in which I used it. The first was as an energy drink replacement in the early afternoon. My normal go to would be a sugar free Rockstar or Monster when I am looking for this type of pick me up. A scoop of this was a great replacement for those and provided me with some additional benefits that the energy drinks do not. The flavor was just as good, if not better, than the energy drink and the only main difference was the lack of carbonation. Other than that, EAA Energy provided me with better ingredients from the aminos along with more hydration elements and longer lasting energy even though the caffeine count was lower by comparison. The cost per serving was also better, coming in at $1 each when most energy drinks purchased as singles would cost me between $2.00 and $3.00.

The second situation in which I used this supplement was before an early evening cardio session. If I did not have a scoop earlier in the day as described above and I felt like I needed a little kick in the pants to get through my cardio session, I would mix a scoop in 24 ounces of water and sip on it throughout my walk. This would give me just the right amount of energy and drive to push through the session without feeling run down or causing any negative side effects on my sleep later in the evening. Having the influx of aminos also gave me peace of mind that I was heading off muscle catabolism while staying hydrated at the same time.

The last situation that I can report on is when I used this supplement during golf outings. As I typically do not eat any food until later in the evening, my golf game can sometimes suffer if I have not planned properly the night before and the morning of. What I did during this time was have a scoop at the beginning of the round mixed with 24 ounces of water and I would sip on it throughout the first nine holes. I would then take another scoop at the turn mixed in 24 ounces of water again for the remainder of the round. In this instance, EAA Energy provided me with the perfect amount of fuel to stay strong and focused from the beginning to the end of my round. No muscle cramps experienced, even during relatively hot days and no feelings of dehydration while the supplement was in use. Plus it saved me money from having to purchase overpriced food or drink from the golf course if I hit a wall during the round.

With this being the caffeinated version of the EAA product from NutraBio, I did not use it as an intra-workout supplement mainly because I did not want or need the extra caffeine on top of what I received from my pre-workout. If you happen to use a lower caffeine pre-workout and would like a little extra boost part way through your training session, I could see this product working out perfectly for you. As most of the pre-workouts that I use contain between 250mg and 350mg of caffeine per serving, the extra 150mg from a scoop was unnecessary for me. My intra-workout supplementation stayed the same as before with just a standard non-caffeinated BCAA product being used. By not using this supplement intra or post-workout, I cannot specifically speak to its impact on muscular endurance and hydration during the workout or muscle soreness after the workout/next day. I will say that I did not notice a huge difference in my muscle soreness when I used a scoop as an energy drink replacement or prior to cardio. My soreness the following day was about the same in comparison to using a well-dosed BCAA product.

If you are looking to purchase this supplement, there is currently only one place that you can go and that is Bodybuilding.com. NutraBio has partnered with BB.com to make this an exclusive product; which makes this section easy to write and the purchasing process even easier for anyone looking to pick this up. No need to search around the web for the lowest price or promo codes.

Each tub contains a true 30 one scoop servings and the current retail price is $30. During the use of my tub, I saw different promotions available for this product on the BB.com website. At one time, you were able to take another 20% off the price and at another they threw in a free shaker. I also believe some of the BB.com brand ambassadors have a discount code that may be able to save you some extra money.

In my opinion, this is currently to best priced, most complete EAA Energy supplement on the market. Another EAA product from a well-known company that many people have been talking about lately has less total aminos per serving, not as many "extras" and is priced at $39.99. NutraBio entered this market like a "savage" and claimed the crown for the best overall EAA Energy supplement, in my opinion.

Side Effects

No side effects experienced during my use of this product. Please note that I consumed almost all of my servings on an empty stomach and had no negative reactions or feelings of uneasiness. Only possible problems I could foresee are if you are allergic to coconut or beets. There are no artificial colors used, so no need to worry there. Also, do not consume too close to your bedtime since each serving does contain 150mg of caffeine.

The warning from the brand is: KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN. Contains 150mg of caffeine per serving, about as much caffeine as a cup of coffee. Do not use more than the recommended amount and avoid using with other caffeinated products or if you are sensitive to caffeine because too much caffeine may cause nervousness, irritability, sleeplessness and occasionally, rapid heartbeat. Consult your physician prior to using this product if you are pregnant, nursing, under 18 years of age, taking medication or have a medical condition. Immediately discontinue use and contact your physician if any adverse reactions occur. Discontinue use two weeks before surgery.

Conclusion

To wrap things up, I enjoyed my time with EAA Energy but cannot report anything absolutely amazing in relation to my first go around with an EAA formula, beyond the flavor in my opinion. We have a completely transparent label, that to my knowledge, no other company in the industry can match which lets me know exactly what I am consuming. The formula is the best of any EAA product that I have seen on the market and is loaded with the extras that make it unbeatable on paper. It was effective during all the different scenarios in which I used it and never caused any negative side effects. I did experience some mixability issues but those did not rise to the level of making this product unpleasant or hard to drink. My biggest disappointment during this time was the lack of noticeable effects from having a complete EAA formula when compared to my previous experiences of using just a standalone BCAA product. Maybe the effects of the additional aminos would be more prevalent to a person in a larger caloric deficit and/or someone in contest prep. Either way, this product includes a nice dose of BCAAs along with the added extras and still tastes great; so the inclusion of the other six amino acids has no downsides for me. The price from the current lone online retailer in terms of an EAA product is fantastic in comparison to others on the market. If you can get by with a simpler BCAA product, this is going to look slightly more expensive to you by comparison. With that in mind, NutraBio also manufacturers a standalone BCAA product that will provide you with a better value per serving.

Thank you again to NutraBio for sending me out this product to review and being a long term partner with SR.com

Thank you for reading my review and let me know if you have any questions.
    • Cherry Limeade: 10/10