Classic Whey Reviews

By: NutraBio

Protein > Whey Protein
Classic Whey is a Whey Protein Powder manufactured by NutraBio. It is a dairy based protein that supports lean muscle gain by suppling additional protein to recovering muscles, which can also improve fat loss.

June 18, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • No Side Effects
  • Fully Disclosed Label
  • Lasting Fullness
  • Lab Test

My review of Nutrabio's Classic Whey protein powder. I want to thank Nutrabio for participating in TROOPS and sending this out to me to review!

I am a 27 year old firefighter from Ohio. My main fitness goals are to maintain a solid shape for my profession and to build quality muscle / strength.

To start I will say Nutrabio puts all of their ingredients and product through third party testing. They test for purity and quality. The best part about it is they release all of the results so you can see them! You are able to find out exactly who tested and where it was tested at. One serving of this contains 130 calories total. There are 2g of fat, 2 carbs, and 25g of protein. The protein source they use is Whey Protein Concentrate (non-denatured)(32.2 grams WPC80 yielding 25 grams of complete protein)(CFM cross flow micro-filtered. Cold processed). This is a high quality source of protein and they promise no amino spiking in any of their products. The product label is proprietary blend free so you can see exactly what is in it and how much of it is there. Just by researching and using several of Nutrabio's products I am very confident they use very high quality ingredients.

I received the flavor Cold Brew Cappuccino. It was a very delicious flavor. It tasted like a cold brew creamy coffee. Seeing as how a lot of those contains tons of sugar this was an awesome way to taste it but in a much healthier protein packed way. I always used milk and mixed it in a shaker cup. It mixed up awesome each time and there was no clumping or leftover residue. My only issue with it was it it foamed up quite a bit each time. The easy solution to that though was to let it sit a couple minutes after shaking. The foam went right down after that. The dosing seemed average with one scoop being 34.1 grams. It was an average sized scoop for whey protein powders.

I found this product to be quite effective at what it intended. I felt like I made some good muscle gains during my use. I always drank this in the morning as part of my breakfast to get my day started. This was really nice and blended well because of it being coffee flavored. This helped me to feel fuller during my lift. Already having a decent amount of protein in me before I lifted definitely helped start the healing and growing process. This product plus a BCAA I was taking helped me to never feel overly sore. Plus I felt I healed up fairly quick. It also was a great way to help reach my protein macros each day. I usually drink my coffee black but I occasionally have a craving for some creamer in it. During my use of this I never had that craving because this flavor helped fight off my sweet tooth.

The lowest price I was able to find this product at was $32.99. This was off of several different websites including bodybuilding.com and amazon. The 2lb tub contains 26.9 servings. It breaks down to roughly $1.20 a serving. For the quality, taste, and effectiveness I find this to be a very fair price.

Side Effects

I experienced no negative side effects while using this product.

Conclusion

To conclude I give Nutrabio a huge thumbs up. They continue to put out quality products using quality proven ingredients. I really enjoyed my entire usage of this product and definitely want to use it again in the future. I highly recommend it for anyone looking for a solid whey protein product. Once again thank you Nutrabio and I look forward to trying everything else you have to offer!
    • Cold Brew Cappuccino: 8/10

9.5
      May 24, 2018

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Fully Disclosed Label
    • Nice Name
    • Lab Test
    • Replace Sugary Drinks
    • Preserves Muscle
    • Lasting Fullness
    • Top Quality Protein
    • Wrong Amino Acid Profile

INTRODUCTION

Thanks to NutraBio for participating in the SR TROOP program and to SupplementReviews for making this connection possible. This is the first time that I'm trying to really lose weight and fat so having a Protein that could keep me feeling full for a longer time so I could handle the cravings and other temptations was ideal. One of my strategies was to reduce the amount of sugar drastically, that's why one of my expectations was to use this product to replace one of my usual sugary drinks.

About my title, if you watch Shaqtin A Fool and know about the problem with Shaq and Javelle McGee, you will understand it ;)

TASTE/MIXABILITY/SIZE/TIMING

*TASTE: I received the Cookies & Cream flavor. I've tried this flavor before from a sample of Classic Whey they sent me a couple of months ago and it was perfect when I tried that sample. But some of us (I must not be the only one) get tired after some weeks (sometimes even after some days) of using a flavor. This wasn't the case with Classic Whey. The flavor was PERFECT. 10/10 It tastes EXACTLY as a Cookies & Cream ice cream. I usually used water and thought I was using milk! So if you like Cookies & Cream, get this flavor. I'm surprised as to how accurate the flavor is. They suggest to use 6oz of liquid, that's the perfect number for this flavor IMO, you can use more liquid if you want to fit your personal taste. I tried it with 8oz and 10oz. I tried this with regular milk too and felt it wasn't needed, with water it was simply perfect.

Other flavors available: Cake Batter, Chocolate Milkshake, Chocolate Peanut Butter, Creamy Vanilla, Horchata, Strawberry, Cold Brew Capuccino, Pia Colada, Pumpkin Spice, Lemon Meringue Pie and even Unflavored. Cake Batter sounds delicious *drools*

*MIXABILITY: This is a Whey Concentrate protein supplement only so I expected mixability to be a bit harder than with a Whey Blend. It wasn't different, it was very easy to mix, never gave me problems here. The liquid felt perfect.

*SIZE OF PRODUCT USED: 2lbs (26.6 servings). The other size available is 5lbs.

*TIMING: I took 1 scoop per day, sometimes as my breakfast drink, sometimes some hours before bed to control the cravings. This last moment is the most challenging because 2 hours after I eat dinner, that's the moment when the sugar cravings start to attack, those damn mental monsters!

INGREDIENT PROFILE

This will be long but I think it's very worth it so I suggest you read everything in this section. 1 scoop has: 130 Calories, 2g Total Fat (1g Saturated Fat), 70mg Cholesterol (24% DV), 3g Carbohydrate (2g Sugars) and 32.47 grams of Whey Protein Concentrate (Brute or Gross amount) which gives us 25 grams net of Whey Protein Concentrate (WPC80). If you're reading this and don't know what's Whey Protein Concentrate, read here: https://supplementreviews.com/ingredients/whey-protein-concentrate The Protein is also processed using Cross Flow Microfiltration (CFM) which is cold processed to preserve the protein molecules. This is also important to mention when we're talking about quality. The amount of Cholesterol is high but I think we shouldn't worry about it.

NutraBio is one of the few companies that tell you the total amount (brute or gross) and then the net amount. It's very important for companies to clarify this, unfortunately most companies don't do this. Most companies just tell you their product has 24 grams of Whey Protein Concentrate. They don't say if that amount is brute-gross or if it's net. If it's net, good. If it's the brute or gross amount, you could be consuming 19.2 grams of net (real) protein (can even be less) and not the 24 grams of protein they claim it has. I think this topic is more important than knowing how much grams of Protein there is in a Protein Blend or Whey Blend.

Congratulations for doing what I explained above and also congratulations for putting the Amino Acid Profile. The product claims not to be amino spiked and protein spiked. To help with that claim, it's important for companies to include the Amino Acid Profile. The Amino Acid Profile has the amount of each aminoacid that forms the Protein, in this case, Whey Protein Concentrate. Remember, reader, that in Biology we learned Protein is a group of aminoacids bonded together. From Wikipedia: "Proteins are large biomolecules, or macromolecules, consisting of one or more long chains of amino acid residues." So all Proteins have Aminoacids because they are made of aminoacids. Why am I mentioning this basic thing? Well, first because most people don't know this or they don't understand this completely, lot of people still ask me if X or Y protein product has BCAA, I've been in discussions between people arguing their product is better because their product has 4g BCAA and the one from the other person doesn't have BCAA, same thing with Glutamine and Arginine. Sometimes I interfere and try to explain (they pretend to understand at the end but they didn't) and sometimes I just let it be. All the main protein sources bodybuilders and people who exercise use (Whey, Casein, Egg, Chicken, Meat, etc) have BCAA, Glutamine, Arginine and all the other aminoacids because those protein sources are made from those aminoacids bonded together. The thing is lot of companies don't include the Amino Acid profile of their product.

Having said that, here is where the problem starts. I check the Amino Acid profile of NutraBio Classic Whey that is on the bottle and I check the amount of BCAA and Glutamine. We all do that. But then I see the amount of Cysteine and I see "0mg". I manually added the milligrams of each amino acid and it gave me the 25 grams of Protein. I check the 'independent' lab results online (www.checkmysupps.com), insert lot# and the result of the test was 25.19g, good 0.19mg more. I checked the printed independent lab test they sent me with the product (same as the online one). I also checked with other protein supplements to see if they have Cysteine and they do. But how is Cysteine 0mg!? I check Examine.com to read more about Cysteine and I see quotes like this: "Whey is the most cost-effective and efficient way to replenish Cysteine stores, but this can also be done with just more protein in general or N-AcetylCysteine (NAC) supplementation." Also this: "Whey also delivers a large amount of the amino acid L-Cysteine, which can alleviate deficiencies that occur during aging and diabetes, as well as other conditions." There's more but I think that's enough to describe how INHERENT L-Cysteine is to Whey Protein, just like BCAA and other aminoacids. So wtf was going on with this product!? That's where I decided to make a topic in the SR TROOP forum. Members there could not answer the L-Cysteine question but user @bctuthill (change that name, I need to copy paste it all the time lol) noticed another mistake saying they used 750g of natural flavors!? O.o User @royalapple showed us how impatient he is (lol) and contacted them about the 750g and they (NutraBio) said it was supposed to be "mg", not "g".

So back to the Cysteine, the only way it could be 0mg of Cysteine would be a "typo mistake" or that they manually removed the Cysteine or... Anyways, I contacted NutraBio about the "0mg" Cysteine problem. They answered me saying the "0mg" was a misprint on the label and should read 500mg of Cysteine. But it wasn't so simple as it wasn't just Cysteine, all the other numbers were wrong too, it's a misprint on the whole Amino Acid Profile, not only L-Cysteine (that's why the "or..."). I was very surprised to see NutraBio making this kind of mistakes.

Anyways, I uploaded the old incorrect Amino Acid Profile and the new correct Amino Acid Profile. But here is the text form:
    Left number = old incorrect
    Right number underlined = new correct

Tryptophan: 893mg | 525mg
    Aspartic Acid: 2687mg | 2700mg
    Serine: 1103mg | 1025mg
    Glycine: 433mg | 450mg
    Alanine: 1230mg | 1250mg

They answered very fast, take that into account. Of course, I have to add that NutraBio claims not to use Proprietary Blends, No Protein Spiking, Fillers, Excipients, inferior proteins, sweet whey, WPC34, Acid treated Whey, Maltodextrin, Dextrose, Artifical colors, flavors and Hidden Ingredients. Their facilities are GMP quality and inspected by FDA. They also provide the FDA Registration number. GMP means "Good Manifacturing Practice". From Wikipedia: These guidelines provide minimum requirements that a manufacturer must meet to assure that their products are consistently high in quality, from batch to batch, for their intended use.

More of my thoughts about this problem in the Conclusion section...

EXPECTATIONS

- Mainly to preserve muscle.
    - Also to keep me full longer than a Whey Blend (Isolate, Concentrate, Hydrolyzed) without using Protein Blends as I already have one.
    - Replace sugary drinks with this.

EFFECTIVENESS

So I'll judge it based on the expectations and also will include digestion. As for preserving muscle, this was very important because I reduced my calorie intake a lot and obviously our worst nightmare is to lose the muscles we have already gained. I think NutraBio Classic Whey did a good job here but of course, it wasn't the only Protein supplement I was taking. That being said, the 25 grams net of Classic Whey helped more than the 20g or 22g (net or brute??) from my other Protein Supplements. It may not seem like a lot of difference but if you take 2 scoops of Classic Whey that gives you 50g of Protein. If you take 2 scoops of the 20g protein, that gives you 40g, a 10g difference and that's ASSUMING the 20g are a net (real) amount... The difference could be more if those 20-22g of protein are not net (real). So of course I felt more confident taking NutraBio Classic Whey. I didn't lose muscle during my weight/fat loss experiment nor did I lose overall strength. Lost some strength on some lifts but it's probably related to my lower carbohydrate intake, not Protein.

To keep me full longer than a Whey Blend (Isolate, Concentrate, Hydrolyzed) without using Protein Blends, excellent job too. It kept me full for atleast 2 hours, that time was enough for me to stop the cravings and other food/sugar temptations. And it wasn't about the liquid like with other products because 6oz of water is not a lot to suggest you're getting full because of the liquid and not the product. That's why I was surprised in this area.

As to replace sugary drinks, good job too. People, myself included, usually want something sweet for breakfast, especially the breakfast drink. Can be orange juice, can be apple juice, can be chocolate milk, etc, it's usually sweet. Conscious or not, we want it to start the day in a "happy" "better" way. Don't know if those 2 words best describe what I'm trying to say but anyways, hope you understood my point. Classic Whey only has 2g of Sugars and it has a delicious taste. It was easy to replace those sugary drinks with this Protein, it also allowed me to eat less breakfast portion so it did 2 jobs in 1.

As for the digestion, because it's only a Whey Concentrate protein source and it has no Lactase to process Lactose, I thought this was going to be a problem but nope. When I drank it, I felt full and the digestion was like with any Whey Blend. I was also surprised here.

So I have no complaints here, that's why the 9.5, it met each of my expectations.

VALUE

NutraBio's website (www.nutrabio.com) has the 2lbs for $32.99 and 5lbs for $59.99, same with GNC, Bodybuilding only carries the 2lbs for the same price, Amazon prices are bipolar but right now they have the same. Illpumpyouup.com has it for $26.95 which is a great price but right now they only have 3 flavors available. Because of the quality, the added guarantees you get with NutraBio (lab tests, gmp, fda inspected facility, full disclosure, no hidden ingredients, etc) I think it's a good solid price. Not cheap but you get what you pay for.

SIDE EFFECTS

None. No gases, nothing.

CONCLUSION

As for the effectiveness and product itself, excellent, I don't have complaints.

As for the mistake with the Amino Acid profile, all companies commit mistakes. And even though the mistake doesn't seem to be something serious, grave, etc and it may not be significant for some people, I hope NutraBio considers this mistake as serious and significant just like I do. And it's significant because it wasn't a "typo mistake" where instead of 500mg, you put 0mg. That would be a non-significant mistake. It's significant because the whole Amino Acid Profile was wrong. Both Amino Acid Profiles gave the same result (25,000mg) so that may suggest you this mistake wasn't significant, you have the right to think that. But for me, it was SIGNIFICANT ON CREDIBILITY. NutraBio values credibility A LOT, one of the main reasons they have all those guarantees (lab tests, full disclosure, no hidden ingredients, etc) is credibility.

This mistake doesn't eliminate all their credibility but it reduces their credibility, not only NutraBio's but also all those certifications and institutions. The test shows the product has 25.19g of Protein. What if NutraBio or any other company didn't publish their Amino Acid Profile and did these tests? They could still amino spike or protein spike because it seems all the test is saying is that the product has X amount of Protein. It's still good to have those tests, you know how much real protein you're getting, which is good, but probably is not like a lot of people thought. Any company can easily amino spike their products and do these tests, they can even publish the complete amino acid profile (a false one) and nobody would check if what they're saying is true, not the FDA, not the GMP, not the company, not the consumers, nobody. This is the main reason of my "anger" here. When you tell me "I did independent lab results", I'm expecting that lab not only to certify the grams of protein but also to certify if that protein is constitued by what the company is saying (in other words, the Amino Acid Profile).

Why was this problem caused? Well, like I said, all companies commit mistakes because they are run by humans and humans make mistakes. But in this particular case, apart from that, this problem was caused by these 4 words: TAKING THINGS FOR GRANTED. NutraBio created a very correct, precise, complete process and usually when companies create something that runs perfectly, they get into the comfort zone and let the process run by itself. That's where the mistakes start to happen. When the owners and employees just work as a habit and they trust the process so much that they don't supervise, evaluate, check the process, then that's where the process starts failing. How many NutraBio athletes consumed this protein? How come none of them could see the 0mg Cysteine? See what I mean?

To conclude, we all make mistakes and we should not demonize NutraBio for it. I know my tone is maybe agressive but it's not my intention. My intention is for NutraBio not to think this is just a very superficial mistake, non-significant mistake because if they assume that posture, more mistakes will keep hapenning and maybe those future mistakes, will not be so easy to solve like this one. Always have someone in your company that can really verify all the great things you're doing for the industry. Your credibility has been reduced but you're still on top. Watching you go down for these mistakes would be sad because I know you're really trying hard to stay on top of all brands.

Reduced the Overall score to 8.5 because of the mistake.

May 6, 2018

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Clean Profile
    • Digestive Issues
    • Gas
    • Bloat
    • WPC

Clean product with a fully disclosed label, but there is just something about Whey Protein Concentrate in cookies and cream flavor that just kills me with bloat every time.

Big thanks to NutraBio for sending me their Classic Whey protein my way. Protein is one of the simplest building blocks of muscle and keeping our body going. The best source of protein comes from whole food sources, but sometimes we have to supplement our needs with a product. In doing so, you want to know what you are taking and making sure it is as clean and pure as possible to avoid side effects. This is where NutraBio comes in with their commitment to being fully disclosed with nothing to hide with their brand.

So to prove just how open-label NutraBio is, here is the what you get in every scoop:

Amount Per Serving
    Phosphorus 101 mg
    Magnesium 22 mg
    Sodium 117 mg
    Potassium 166 mg
    Whey Protein Concentrate (non-denatured)(32.47 grams WPC80 yielding 25 grams of complete protein)(CFM cross flow micro-filtered. Cold processed.) 32.47g
    Flavoring 1.2g
    (Natural Flavor 750 mg, Natural Cocoa Powder 450 mg, Xanthan Gum 270 mg, Salt 110 mg, Sucralose 80 mg)

As you can see, they mean business when it comes to being fully transparent so the customer knows what they are getting.

I had the cookies and cream flavor and to be honest, it was spot on with what I expected it to be. if you have ever had MusclePharm's cookies and cream flavor, they are practically identical in taste, however, NutraBio does not have small cookie crumbles in their powder. This kind of surprised me and had me worried because I felt, that those would really carry all of the flavor of the product but I was wrong.

Mixability was great as well, I would mix it with 10oz of milk and shake away, the powder is very fine, so it mixes without effort, and I even combined it with 1 serving of great yogurt and that mixed as well, so this powder is very easy going on combining with other products.

Dosing was 1 scoop which is 34.13g added with either milk, water, or in my case yogurt on occasion.

Ok so here we are, and so far everything about this product has been great and exceeding expectations, but yet I have rated it as a meh with average marks. So what gives? When I selected this product I was kind of hesitant because I saw that it was a Protein Concentrate rather than an Isolate. the last protein concentrate that I tried was MusclePharms's and things did not go well at all with digestion. I would have really bad bloat and gas from the powder. So I figured hey, I will give this one a try because I know it is a clean open-label and everything is tested. Unfortunately, I met the same fate and found myself having more gas than Exon. I tried mixing this with different versions of milk, with water, and greek yogurt, and no matter what I used, the results were the same. The gas cramps were not as severe, but having gas, in general, is not fun, unless everyone likes to get a good laugh at an armageddon like trumpet blowing from your butt.

For me, this kills the product. It might be clean, and an open-label, but if it's going to cause this kind of issue then I am going to steer clear of it. To put it in perspective I can drink Syntha-6 Cookies and cream all day with 0 gastric issues, so it is not just me being sensitive to a Whey Protein Concentrate. I am not sure what the deal is, but it definitely happened and put a gray cloud over my whole product run.

As others have mentioned you can find this on illpumpyouup.com for $27 with you getting 26 servings. This is equal to $1.03 a serving which balances out to be very decently priced compared to Syntha-6 that gives you 2 more servings for 2 pennies more. The edge, however, goes to NutraBio because they are willing to go the extra mile to test their product and give you the clean label of ingredients that customers deserve.

Side Effects

Bad gas

Conclusion

So yet again, I have learned that it is better to just stick to Isolates. I like NutraBio overall and what they are doing is great for the industry and keeping other folks honest, but for me, this was a miss. I am not putting the product down, because you will see numerous reviews about this from others that did not have the gas issues that I had, but we are all individuals and I think this something that the customer should take into account. It is all about knowing your body and what works for you.
    • Cookies & cream: 8/10

May 1, 2018

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Fully Disclosed Label
    • Clean Profile
    • Lasting Fullness

A solid protein with good flavor and has low carbs and sugar.

Thank you to NutraBio for a chance to try the protein powder. Protein powder is a normal product for my supplements and workouts. This was a nice classic whey.

This was a 100% whey protein concentrate. A straightforward protein mix.

Fat 2g
      Carb 3g
      Sugar 2g
      Protein 25g

The whey classic has no proprietary blends, no protein spiking, no fillers or excipients, no inferior protein, no sweet whey, no acid treated whey, no maltodextrin or dextrose, no added carbs or sugar, no artificial colors or flavors, and no hidden ingredients. It is kosher and gluten-free. Great ingredients and no extra garbage. I give it a high-ranking.

I was able to get cookies and cream flavor. There are many options to choose from but cookies and cream are one of my favorite. The taste was really good. I tried this with water and almond milk. I preferred the almond milk, so I used it most the time to give a great taste and texture. No problems with either liquid when mixing. The dosing recommendation is to take 1 to 3 servings per day with 6 oz of liquid. It contained 26.6 servings. One scoop gives you 25 g of protein. My routine is to take 1 before and after a workout. The dosing was the right amount for me. This is a nice product with taste, mixability, and dosing so it is a high-ranking.

The straightforward answer is this was an effective protein since it is hard to rank with measurable elements. I had a good recovery after workouts. I was able to get the things that I needed with my protein. I would say it was effective, so I give it a high ranking.

The best price was from luckyvitamin.com (I am not an employee for them) with the 2 lbs at $30 and 5 lbs for $49. The 5 lb is a better deal and you will get almost 67 servings. This works out to $1.37 per serving. This is close to what I usually spend on my protein, so I give it a normal ranking. The value is not great but not bad either.

Side Effects

No side effects noticed.

Conclusion

This is a good protein. I like the ingredients. The taste was wonderful. The mixability and dosing was nice. It was effective and the price is my normal cost. I had no side effects. This is a great product and one I would use for my everyday use.

April 22, 2018

Pros:
       Cons:
      • Clean Profile
      • Fully Disclosed Label
      • Mixes Well
      • No Side Effects

What is going on guys? I've got a protein review for you all today from the very well known NutraBio. I claimed this product due to the high respect and positive feedback that the TROOPers program has provided on almost all of their products. I'd like to thank NutraBio and SR for making this review possible and let's dive right in!

*FULLY DISCLOSED LABEL*
        When you've got nothing to hide its got to be a great feeling to be able to show all your potential buyers EXACTLY what is in the product they are purchasing. There are no fillers, additives, or unwanted elements in this product. They even prompt you to go to checkmysupps.com to verify that they are giving you accurate information, which is a rarity in this industry.

1 serving: 33.96 grams
        Protein: 25g
        Calcium: 158mg
        Phosphorous: 106mg
        Magnesium: 24mgSodium: 117mgPotassium: 187mg

Overall, the label for this whey protein is very versatile and can fit into almost anybody's diet plan whether it be a bulk, maintenance, or a cut. 130 calories is almost the perfect amount to fit into anyone's calorie budget for the day. 24g of protein is right in the optimal window (20-25 grams) that I look for in a post-workout protein shake. The fat and carbs are VERY low which is a big reason that I really like this label. I've seen too many protein powders that have a good amount of protein in them but then have all this extra crap in them that spikes the carbs and fat way up! When I want a protein shake that's what I'm looking for, not a 'fat shake' or a 'carb shake'. The stats look very good in this fully disclosed, 'no BS just business', label.

Taste: Cookies and Cream, This was easily one of the best tasting protein powders I've used in a long time. I'm a big fan of vanilla/oreo flavors in general so this was perfect for me. The flavor wasn't too faint like a lot of powders are. It was very prominent and refreshing.

Mixibility: I used 8 ounces of water in a standard shaker bottle and never experienced any issues. I would usually give it a good 15-20 second shake and that would avoid any unwanted powder residue in the bottle.

Dosage: I took 1-2 scoops immediately post workout depending on how many calories i had already eaten that day. I'm currently in a lean bulk so any macro-friendly protein I can find is always utilized.

Protein powders can always be hard to judge for effectiveness.
        Did I gain muscle while using this product? Yes, I believe that gaining muscle is directly correlated to your nutrition (meeting all of your macronutrient requirements) and a constant training regimen. With that being said, I do put some value in 'macro timing' meaning that having that convenient protein immediately post workout to help my body get a jumpstart on rebuilding that muscle tissue. Again, I think meeting your total protein recommendation every day is much more important and impactful than timing when you take your protein, but hey it doesn't hurt right?

Did I experience any gastrointestinal issues? I didn't experience any stomach problems or gas problems while using this product. It went down smooth every time and that was the end of it!

The cheapest price on the internet right now is $26.95 on illpumpyouup.com
        This comes out to almost exactly $1 per serving. I would even be willing to pay a little more for this product because of the label and quality ingredients. No complaints here.

Side Effects

Conclusion

This is a great protein powder for anyone to use and the fully disclosed label is hard to beat!

6.8
          April 20, 2018

Pros:
         Cons:
        • Clean Profile
        • Fully Disclosed Label
        • Mixes Well
        • A Little Pricey

Classic Whey is a concentrate protein that is great in the role of meal replacement or fitting protein goals for a day.

Whats up SR. I chose to review Classic Whey from Nutrabio because I have always been a fan of different protein sources for different times of the day. I wanted to use this as more of a meal replacement then anything, something I could have before bed or to fill a gap in my day (aka a snack). As always thank you to the Trooper program for hooking it up and to Nutrabio as well for always supporting the program.

So classic whey is as previously stated a whey concentrate protein, meaning that its macros will differ from that of an isolate protein, lets take a look:

Serving Size: 1 scoop (33.75g) - 26.9 servings per container
        Calories: 130
        Total fat - 2g (of which 1g saturated)
        Total Carb - 3 g (of which 2g Sugar)
        Protein - 25g (from 32.47g of non-denatured whey protein concentrate)

Okay so clearly this is a pretty standard concentrate protein, we have a little bit of carbs and fats (as compared to an isolate), 25g of protein from whey concentrate meaning this has a mid range digestion rate when compared to isolates and casein's. Overall very standard.

I was given the "Cold Brew Cappuccino" flavor. I originally took a single scoop of this with about half a shaker full of water and was disappointed in how weak the flavor was. But then I decided to up my dose to 2 scoops and throw in some MCT Oil, wow did that ever make a world of difference, the flavor was really great at the two scoop serving with just over a half a shaker full of water. Had a solid consistency that was on the thicker side but not enough that it was a sludge. Overall awesome flavor at 2 scoops. Mixability was totally fine as well, always with water so I cant speak to the mixing with milk or milk alternatives. Dosing for me was as stated above 2 scoops usually on my way home from my evening workouts as sort of a last meal/ snack for the evening.

Obviously with any protein it is hard to really measure its effectiveness, so I will speak to how effective it was for me in the role I used it. Like I said before this was used as a last meal/ snack to help me get extra protein in at the end of the day. I am/ was transitioning from a ketogenic diet to a lower carb diet where I can allow myself higher levels of protein to recover from my double workouts. Classic whey did a great job of allowing me to get the extra protein in I needed to recover, while helping to keep me full. Part of my issue is I am never hungry after my evening training so forcing food down is not my first choice, 2 scoops of classic whey and some MCT Oil eliminated the need to hammer down a meal and helped me hit some macro goals for the day while feeding my muscles before bed. So in the role of meal replacement this was perfect and allowed me to get the protein in that I need to recover and grow.

This can be found for $26.95 on I'llpumpyouup.com, giving it a dollar value of $1 per serving, not my favorite price point for a concentrate, but also not absurd. I wish the tub had an even number of servings though, like 30 as opposed to the 26.9.

Side Effects

None, I personally had no stomach issues, but I see some other reviewers did, something to keep in mind.

Conclusion

In conclusion Classic Whey delivered great flavor when double scooped and helped me hit some goals and recover from tough two a day workouts without having to force feed myself. I do wish the price point was better, but regardless well done Nutrabio, once again you have put out a quality product.
        • Cold Brew Cappuccino: 9/10

April 17, 2018

Pros:
         Cons:
        • Fully Disclosed Label
        • Mixes Well
        • Clean Profile
        • Digestive Issues

Nutrabio is the industry's gold standard when it comes to transparency in labeling and trustworthy manufacturing. This product measures up as well as any whey concentrate on the market, but for whatever reason caused me GI issues that I haven't run into with any other whey concentrates.

I hate to knock on a company I respect so highly, but need to be honest above all else. I received classic whey along with 2 other products in NutraBio's most recent TROOP offering. I was really excited to try it, but ultimately let down when it came to digestion. According to the other reviews it appears I'm the only one who experienced this issue, so while I would never try this product again it's the feedback from other TROOPers and the reputation of NutraBio that is moving my rating from a no to a meh.

One of the things I think we all love about NutraBio is their transparency. They don't just tell you the measurements of active ingredients, they give you the whole f-ing recipe-- right on down to the amount of xanthan gum. I would literally trust them with my child.

In terms of Macronutrients, Classic Whey delivers 25g of protein in a 34.13 gram scoop. There are 3g of carbohydrates including 2g of sugar, and 2g of fat (1g saturated). Each scoop is 130 calories. The remaining 4.13 grams represent additional minerals and electrolytes, and flavoring. This is sweetened with sucralose (80mg).

Taste: I received the cookies and cream and initially found it to be delicious. Side effects later detracted from this, but I want to emphasize that I wasn't getting tired of the flavor, just put off by anticipated digestive issues.

Mixability: Among the best of any protein I've had. I mixed this with milk at times, as well as water at times. Whichever one I used, I always mixed this in a shaker. I never ran into any clumps at all, but I do pride myself on my protein shaking abilities.

Dosing: This lived in my office pantry and I usually took it midday after my lunch (1:30 or so). On a couple occasions I took a 2nd scoop at 5 for my commute home.

From a macro standpoint, this fit into my meals very well. It's not an isolate so it would be unfair to compare it to one, and with concentrates you will inevitably see a few more calories along with carbs and fats. I'm totally fine with that and actually very rarely take isolates anyway.

From a recovery/growth standpoint, it's tough to determine. I usually take in anywhere from 60g-90g of my daily protein requirements from powder, which works out to be 3-4 scoops daily. Two scoops are part of a post-workout shake that I don't really mess. The other 1-2 scoops are taken in the afternoon/early evening.

The knock on the effectiveness is that despite this fitting into everything from a nutrient standpoint very well, it gave me stomach aches every time that inhibited my ability to keep up with my eating plans after drinking it. That was my only problem with this product.

Nutrabio is never the cheapest and aren't in the business of racing to the bottom anyway. They're all about quality and their price-tags reflect that. The cheapest I was able to find this was at Suppz.com where it's listed at $32.99 and the site is offering an additional 10% off all Nutrabio products. That's affordable, but still on the upper end of all whey concentrates.

Side Effects

Stomach aches-- literally every time I drank it, regardless of whether I mixed it with milk or water, and whether I took it on an empty stomach or with food. Taking with food or drinking it very fast made things worse. The onset was rapid as well. I could feel cramping towards the top of my stomach immediately after finishing the shake and it would linger 2-3 hours afterwards.

Conclusion

Overall I think I'm the outlier based on other reviews and the fact that they had no issues, and therefore I'd recommend trying this to anyone but can't personally give it the "good" rating. I want to thank Nutrabio for participating in the TROOPs program and I'm bummed this product didn't workout as hoped. It's the first Nutrabio product I haven't absolutely loved. All the same, this is a great brand and my personal experience shouldn't dictate anyone's buying decision until the purchaser has considered all the other reviews here from other trusted reviewers.
        • Cookies & cream: 8/10

November 21, 2016

Pros:
         Cons:
        • Clean Profile
        • Fully Disclosed Label
        • Mixes Well
        • A Little Pricey

I'm a competing powerlifter, and I go through a lot of protein (usually pre and post workout). I tend to get bored with just one flavor, so I usually have a number of different proteins open at once. I usually train six days a week and am cutting at a slow pace. I try to get 1g/lb protein per day, without going over my calories. Whey helps with this considerably.

Nutrabio has the most open label I've seen for any protein powder. Every brand tells you how much protein you're getting, but Nutrabio tells you the yield, i.e. 32.2g of WPC80 to get 25g of protein. They also tell you how much of each flavoring agent they use. I don't have any practical use for this information, but it's nice that they disclose everything, no tricks here.

The taste was excellent. I got the Horchata flavor, and it was spot on. (Horchata is a name for many drinks in Latin America and the recipe changes depending on the country of origin. The ones I've had were made with rice, cinnamon, and almonds.)

I usually rotate through flavors, but I had this protein almost every day until the tub was gone. I never got bored.

The flavoring was a bit light, but horchata isn't a strongly flavored drink (at least not in my experience), so I think that's appropriate. Also, they don't use a lot of flavoring (1.2g per scoop). The texture was thick and creamy, which are both plusses in my book.

The mixability was also good. I usually used a blender, but I did use a shaker bottle a couple of times and it mixed well.

The dosing was normal. 1 33g scoop gives you 25g of protein which is just about right for a whey product. I usually use a scale for accuracy, but the scoop size was just about right.

Protein is protein, so as long as the company is honest about the protein in the product (and is palatable), the effectiveness should be the same for all whey products (not withstanding individual things like lactose intolerance and macro requirements).

The product is a bit pricey. List price is $29.99 for 2lbs, and I got my tub for $22.50, which is still on the higher end of what I'd pay for a whey powder, but they did throw in some free samples for me and a shaker bottle. I can never have too many shaker bottles. However, I think it's worth it to pay for quality and trustworthiness and NutraBio is one of the most upstanding companies out there. They make all of their products in their own FDA approved facility, and they offer free tours. I'm also a Jersey girl and am happy to support local companies.

Side Effects

I didn't have any side effects, and provided you're not lactose intolerant or anything, I think you'd be fine with this product.

Conclusion

If you're looking for a new flavor to try, pick up the Horchata. If you want whey from a trustworthy company, give NutraBio a shot.
        • Horchata: 10/10

November 20, 2016

Pros:
         Cons:
        • No Side Effects
        • Fully Disclosed Label
        • Mixing
        Introduction:

Thank you to the folks at Nutrabio and the SR Troops program for the opportunity to try Classic Whey. Apologies for the late review. Whey protein is a staple for me, whether its a concentrate, blend, whey isolate etc. It's a supplement I take daily, and purchase monthly. I have my go to products and love trying new flavors and new proteins from up and coming companies.

Nutrabio has established itself as a transparent company, you know exactly what your getting with as a result. You pay a slight premium, but you know what your getting from a trusted company.

Ingredient Profile:

Fully disclosed ingredient label. WPC 80, which means your getting 25 grams of whey concentrate protein, or 80% of the total serving size. There is no amino spike concerns with Nutrabio, ever.

Some highlights:
        130 calories
        2 grams fat
        All Natural Flavor

Taste 9.5/10:

I had the lemon meringue pie flavor and it was one of the best protein flavors I have ever had to date. In fact, the powder in water to me, tasted better than the powder in milk. That blew me away.

This is a natural flavor, so its lighter tasting and not sweet at all. The perfect flavor for me.

Mixability 7/10:

Mixing was decent with a shaker, not the best in both water and milk. There were some clumps in both, water mixed a little better.

I preferred to mix it in a shaker. A spoon in a glass with water or milk wasn't the greatest about a 5/10 at best.

Dosing:

Pretty straight forward, one scoop in either 8 ounces of water or 8 ounces of milk. I took the product at varying times. Sometimes post workout, other times first thing in the morning, and sometimes in the afternoon.

Effectiveness 7.5/10:

This is a tough variable to rate for proteins. I stick to whether a product doesn't cause bloating or digestive issues. I experienced none of these issues with this product.

Whey protein is to supplement your daily whole food protein intake. Hopefully, there are some underlying benefits that are not physically noticeable.

Value 7.5/10:

You are paying for a fully disclosed label, a company that is 100% transparent. As a consumer, you are aware of every ingredient and the amount in Nutra Bio's products, at all times.

Right now, you can get the product for $29.99 at any number of online retailers. That comes out to $1.15 per serving. Not bad value for knowing what u are getting 100% of the time.

Side Effects:

Other than craving this particular flavor numerous times a day, I had no side effects.

Conclusion:

With Classic Whey, you are getting a fully disclosed product, from a trusted company in NutraBio, with no concerns for amino spiking.
        • Lemon Meringue Pie: 9/10

6.9
          November 17, 2016

Pros:
         Cons:
        • No Side Effects
        • Fully Disclosed Label
        • Mixes Well
        • Clean Profile

Thanks as always to Nutrabio for supporting the TROOPS and apologies for the late review this time. This is a great quality product from a company well respected here on SR. You can't really go wrong with Nutrabio's Classic Whey - just be careful which flavor you get.

As always, kudos to Nutrabio for leading the way wth fully discussed labels - even to the extent of giving us the flavoring profile. Only 130 calories, and Na at 105mg. From a serving size of 33.4g, 1.2g is flavoring, and of the remainder, 25g is protein, so 75% protein by weight in the product as received. By comparison their top shelf When Protein Isolate (WPI) yields 25g protein from a 29.2g serving - 86% protein - but of course thats more expensive.

As is the case with most or all high end whey proteins, WPI is cross flow micro filtered, and cold processed, which supposedly minimizes denaturalization.

Classic Whey mixed well - no clumps in fat free milk just wth a shaker bottle, but not quite as super mixable as their WPI. I just used a scoop in the mornings and after training. I also often mixed it with Myprotein's powdered oats, which I like a lot as a slow digesting carb source.

Now here is the negative: I requested salted caramel but received horchata (normally Nutrabio sends what you request). The horchata flavor I have to say was a pretty horrible, extremely sweet vanilla type flavor. I honestly had a hard time getting it down. If you like vanilla flavored Starbucks 1200 calorie, everything added whipped drinks them you may like this - i don't. I have used many Nutrabio products and this is the first that had a flavor I didn't like. looking at the options for Classic Whey, I see a few non-traditional NB flavors like Cake Batter and Pumpkin Spice - I would personally avoid those also.

Of course its difficult to gauge the effectiveness of a protein powder, but at least I can say digestibility was excellent. 16oz of fat free milk and a scoop of Classic Whey was very easy on the stomach.

Classic Whey is available at the same discounted price of $29.99 for 2lb, from all vendors (including Nutrabio direct) I looked at.. looks like Nutrabio have got their retailers well tied down with fixed pricing which I comes I suppose from having a great range of products much in demand by retailers. In comparison, Myprotein's isolate is $28 for 2.2lbs, and there are often offers on MP's website that can take it lower than that. So while its a good price for a great product (flavor aside) from a great company, I have to mark it down somewhat on value.

Side Effects

Conclusion

Nutrabio has produced a super quality whey powder with low sodium, low fat and no artificial colorants. Just choose the flavor carefully.
        • Horchata: 1/10