Ultra Omega 3 Reviews

By: NOW

Ultra Omega 3 is an Essential Fatty Acid manufactured by NOW. It contains fats that must be obtained through diet. They serve a wide array of critical roles including cardiovascular, mental and joint health.

December 16, 2015

Pros:
 Cons:
  • High Concentration Of Epa/dha
  • Lots Of Servings Per Bottle
  • No Fish Burps

Back again for one of my favorite supplements - fish oil. As a trainer, if a client ever asks for suggestions to supplements, I always say all you need really is fish oil, probiotics, and a good multi-vitamin. Everything else is just personal preference for your goals. This review is for NOW's Ultra Omega 3 fish oil, which I have come to be quite fond of considering the price against most fish oils we see.

I first started with nature made's fish oil that seemed to not do much, which lead me to noticing they didn't have any EPA or DHA content within the label. I enjoyed Universal products, so moved on to using their brand of fish oil for about two years. Their bottles were just above $6 a bottle, so I became reluctant to switch. However, after doing more research on fish oil I came to the conclusion that the EPA and DHA content was not sufficient enough, so when I found NOW Ultra Omega-3 on sale I pounced on the 50% off offer.

No mercury
    Ethyl Ester Oil (the best form of fish oil since it is purified, but not synthetic)
    -----------------------------------------
    Natural Fish Oil Concetrate - 1,000mg
    EPA - 500mg
    DHA - 250mg
    Omega-3 Fatty Acids - 750mg (EPA+DHA)
    Vitamin E is present to prevent spoilage mainly

When it comes to EPA and DHA, you want twice the amount of EPA/DHA ratio unless a physician says you need more DHA for specific medical conditions. EPA is the fatty acid that provides better results for cellular inflammation, brain and heart health.

That being said, each serving of NOW has 500mg EPA and 250mg of DHA, which was perfect since the studied dosing for health maintenance with DHA was at least 500mg daily. This was easily obtained through two servings (two pills), but I used three servings daily going beyond the minimum.

NO FISH BURPS for me. Can't stand that taste.

Dosing is based off of a 1 pill serving, which you can take up to 3 (recommended). One serving may not be enough unless you consume fish often that have an abundance of these essential fatty acids. I don't really eat fish too often, so 3 was perfect for my situation.

My skin, hair, nails were already healthy, and I can't say there's anything feeling better or different with my heart and brain, but I can use one example to help describe the effectiveness.

Back when I was in the Marines I jumped out the back of a 7-ton in Iraq (full gear) and landed all my weight on one leg. From that point on my knee would have recurring pains especially in the winter months, so important lifts such as squats became affected. Universal's fish oil kinda alleviated this pain, but ever since I've been on NOW's fish oil (about 13 months now) the inflammation has reduced significantly. I'm not pitching that this is going to help everyone's joint pain - but for me it did.

Value is where it hurts my pockets. You honestly get what you pay for with the high concentration of EPA/DHA, but I would love to see it a bit cheaper since 180 pills costs $20 and supports two months of dosing at 3 per day totaling $10 per month. This is a $4 difference from Universal's month supply.

Side Effects

Conclusion

I'd recommend this to anybody that doesn't eat fatty fish on a regular basis. Fish oil is just a great supplement, and NOW's product is pretty spot-on with quality and content.

Overall
    Overall
    9.5
    9.5
      March 13, 2015

• No Gms
    • Fish Burps (tolerable
    Fish oil is a staple for many people and should be for good reason. Omega-3 supplements provide far too many health benefits to ignore. Including, but not limited to reduced risk of heart disease, diabetes, and cancer. It also acts well as enhanced brain and joint function. They also have muscle-building and fat-loss benefits for athletes. There are seriously so many benefits and studies done to prove the effectiveness it's hard to argue against supplementing a fish oil.

Ingredient Profile 10/10

All fish oils aren't created equal. The dosage of Eicosapentaenoic (EPA) and Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA) is what makes Ultra Omega-3 ahead of the competition. Some of the other well known fish oils come close but do not match the EPA and DHA amount, the recommended amount of DHA is 1,500mg daily which is achievable with 6 soft gels spread through out the day.

Calories From Fat 10
    Omega-3 Fatty Acids 750mg
    Eicosapentaenoic (EPA) 500mg
    Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA) 250mg

Taste/Mixability/Dosing 9/10

I dosed mine at 6g daily to get my desired mount of DHA. 3 soft gells am and the other 3 in the afternoon, nothing difficult. Anyone who has taken fish oil may or may not know about the fish oil burp. Some companies have used a lemon or citrus coating to help with this. Although minor I would love to see NOW add that to their already great product.

Effectiveness 10/10

Joints are better lubricated even when running other supplements that may leave them with a dry feeling. DOMS are certainly less noticeable as well even when handling a high volume of training. The nootropic effect and sense of well being is a very welcomed effect as well.

Value 10/10

At around $20 for 180 softgells a full bottle will last me a month which is an awesome value. You may already eat fatty meat in your diet and a full bottle could be stretched 2 months or so. I've yet to find another competitor that can compete with the value of many NOW products at all.

Side Effects

Other then the fish oil burps there are no side effects to speak of.

Conclusion

I realize this review may very well come off as a promotion for fish oil, and I'm okay with that. It's one of the main supplements I truly believe in because of all the research that can be found to support it. This is an industry where a lot of promotion is done to have you purchase what you don't need or may cause harm without you knowing. NOW has always showed a no bs approach with what you get and what it does to aid you. And for this reason among with great value and quality I feel comfortable recommending this is my go to fish oil supplement.

October 14, 2013

Pros:
     Cons:
    • High Concentration Of Epa/dha
    • No Gms
    • Contains Soy
    Hi everyone.

I've been a little backed up on my reviews, so here's another one that's due.

I reviewed ONs Fish Oil a while back and was disappointed with it because it was low in both EPA and DHA.

I found the NOW Ultra Omega-3 and have been using it for the past 6 months, yeah 6 months; the price for the bottle was on special at the time so I went for it.

First, it has more EPA, 500, and DHA, 250. Second, the cost was reasonable considering it had almost twice ON's Fish Oil: $20. So it was a good purchase.

Here's my experience with using it.

Dosing - I generally took it with breakfast. 1 softgel per serving. Not too large. Enteric coating. Went down easy. No fishy after taste. Nothing to upset or disrupt the stomach.

With the ON Fish Oil I had to take 3 a day to feel any effect - which meant that the low cost wasn't really low because I was burning through them 3 times as fast as I should be.

Moving to the NOW Ultra Omega-3 I was able to stick with the 1 a day and my joints felt pretty good; over the 6 months there was no day when I felt the Fish Oil wasn't working.

I think using this product helped me to maintain my goals - which have actually changed. I started using the Fish Oil for the heart benefits, and really only paid attention to the joint benefits as I started to up the intensity of my workouts; I've been lifting more/heavier weights, and putting in more time at the gym.

One thing I've also been doing recently is trying to find out more about how a product is made and what other information I can find out. Here is a summary of what I found out for those of you who like to know everything about a product:

Ethyl Esters form
    Mercury free
    Enteric coated
    Not vegetarian
    IFOS Rating = Not rated
    Encapsulated in the U.S.A.

I would recommend this product; definitely over the ON Fish Oil.

NOTE: I found another product I am using, which has an even higher amount of EPA and I will submit a review on it once I'm done with the bottle - it's another 6 months supply though so it will take a while.

October 12, 2013

• Lots Of Servings Per Bottle
      Fish oil has multiple benefits that can be read on just about EVERY fish oil product on this site.
      Benefits include but are not limited to:fat loss, muscle gain, and cardiovascular benefits

It is important to emphasize that these are the benefits of Omega-3 from fish oil. NOT a 3-6-9 complex, flax seed, or CLA.

For anyone who is wondering about the difference between a Omega-3 a 3-6-9, CLA and flax seed I will break them down quickly.

Once upon a time (way back before I ever touched a barbell) fish oil hit the market. The only problem was at the time manufacturers had no way to filter at mercury. Enter Flax oil!

Flax oil contains omega-3 just like fish oil but with the benefit of NO mercury.

> fast foreword to today. Manufacturers figured out how to filter out mercury.

So new question. If fish oil has omega-3 and flax has omega-3 whats the difference? Flax omega-3 is not a readily active lipid. Fish oil is. Flax omega's have to be converted. Then enters a discussion that I am not qualified to give.

3-6-9 complex: Simply put a 3-6-9 has omega's 3,6, and 9. We actually consume a lot of 6 and 9's in our regular diet. So why do we need to take a supplement for them. minus the omega-3 these products are a waist of money.

CLA (Conjugated Linoleic Acid) is found in diary and red meat. There are no convincing human studies that it works.

On to Now Omega 3
      I got a 500 capsule tub for about $18 off BB.com. Beat that. Is it better than Fish Oil from Universal, GNC, or Optimum? For all I know it comes from the same manufacturer. However, NOW nutrition is the only distributor that sales a 500 capsule container. I have used Arctic Pure, Universal, GNC, Optimum in the past. I think they are all good and equal in quality. Difference is the amount per container and the price. NOW Nutrition win hands down.

May 15, 2013

Pros:
       Cons:
      • High Concentration Of Epa/dha
      • Pills Are Fairly Large
      Second review in the last hour or so...I'm on a roll.

Overview: Fish oil has been a staple for me for about a year now. This product in particular gives you a great bang for your buck. You can pay more for other fish or krill oil products, but if you are taking it for the Omega 3s then NOWs Ultra Omega 3 is the way to go.

Value 10/10: One softgel contains 1g of Omega 3 fatty acids (500mg EPA/250mg DHA), which is a more concentrated dose than most fish oils. Even more impressive, you can get a bottle of 180 softgels for less than 20 bucks online. That's about a month and a half worth of Omega 3s if you are looking for the recommend 3g/day.

Dosage: Like I just mentioned, I take 3g/day which is 4 softgels. I base this off of research as this seems to be the recommended dose to get the most benefits out of your fish oil. Take it with a meal as they absorb better while your digesting fats. I usually take two softgels at a time, once at breakfast and once at dinner.

Effectiveness 9/10: This product has made my joints feel better, made my skin healthier, and I'm sure my body appreciates the list of other health benefits taking omega 3s brings (just look them up). I will say that you need to be patient. It takes time for this to build up in your body so you may have to go through a bottle or two before you feel the full beneficial effects.

Just as an example...I used to get tendonitis in my forearms from doing too many dumbbell and barbell curls. I eased off for about a month and the pain went away. However, for the last three months I've been killing my biceps (4 times a week at one point) and I have not had any joint pain. I can also say that my knees feel better too and I do squat heavy regularly. I'm not saying this is a cure-all, but if you train smart this product will help make your joints feel better.

Overall 10/10: Great value with a bunch of health benefits. I have not experienced any negative side effects. I can also say I have not gotten any fish burps so I would disagree with the other reviews on here. Pretty much all Americans don't get enough Omega 3s, so invest 20$ into your health every month and a half!

November 12, 2012

Pros:
       Cons:
      • High Concentration Of Epa/dha
      • But There)
      So for my 5th review I just had to go with a staple of mine that I like. I take Fish Oil for the benefits it provides. It is not a supplement that you really feel but hope it works the way it should. Simple product, simple review!

Supplement Facts
      -Omega-3 Fatty Acids 750mg
      -Elcosapentaenoic Acid (EPA) 500mg
      -Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA) 250mg

Dosing:
      I take three a day, simple.

Taste:
      Pill form no taste. But you will notice no matter what you eat/drink fishy burps will occur! For two hrs. after taking. This is annoying but not a good enough reason to throw them out of the lineup.

Value:
      Hard to beat the price I got on these (thus the reason why I bought them after the 90ct. tubs). I got a 240 soft gel tub for $21 on a DoD. So alas I jumped on it! This is a great value to me.

Overall:
      Like I said short and sweet review! If you want a good straight forward staple supp look at NOW's Ultra Omega 3. Even with the fishy thing it is great for the $$$. I will try another kind after this tub...but it will be a bit.

January 3, 2012

Pros:
       Cons:
      • High Concentration Of Epa/dha
        Without a doubt this is one of (if not the best) the best values for fish oil that you can get. It's got a high concentration of EPA/DHA at 500/250mg respectively which means you're only taking 3, at most four capsules a day at a competitive price. In fact, it's the cheapest fish oil product I could find with such high concentrations of EPA/DHA.

As always, NOW is a fine company with a good reputation and the gelcaps are easy to swallow and enteric coated in order to pass through the stomach and deliver their payload in the intestines.

I'll keep this review short and sweet since the benefits of fish oil are pretty well known. It's a staple in any stack and NOW has the best deal on the market with this product.

November 25, 2011

Pros:
         Cons:
        • High Concentration Of Epa/dha
        • But There)
        With so many benefits, fish oil is a staple in many people's supplement regimen, and I'm no exception. I've tried quite a few different ones, some of which I've forgotten because, well, they were forgettable. But NOW's Ultra Omega-3 is a keeper, packing a nice, solid punch and landing it with a very good price.

Effectiveness/Ingredients: 9
        I have taken fish oil for quite some time now, so I didn't "notice" or "feel" anything from this per se. The effectiveness of a fish oil supplement depends mainly on the amounts of EPA and DHA, the ingredients that are scientifically proven to provide the biggest benefits. Based on that, Ultra Omega-3 is dosed very effectively, at 500mg EPA and 250mg DHA per pill, making it one of the more effective fish oils (in pill form) that I've found.

Here's a link to the ingredient profile:

Value/Dosing: 9
        I take a total of three grams of EPA/DHA per day, and I try to buy the biggest size of any supplement to get a better value. So I'll base the value on a 180-count bottle at 4 pills per day, which gives you 45 servings.

You can find this on most supplement sites. In this case I used allstarhealth.com, where it was $18.99 (DPS Nutrition also has it for $18.95).

That's $0.105 per pill, which is what they consider a "serving". At four per day it's $0.42, which is outstanding. You can get cheaper fish oils, but they won't have this much EPA/DHA per pill. Likewise, you can get other fish oils with this much or more EPA/DHA per pill, but they'll be significantly more expensive.

(For comparison's sake, in order to get three total grams of EPA/DHA from Controlled Labs' OxiMega (another fish oil with a high per-pill dose of EPA/DHA), you would have to take five pills, meaning that a 120-count bottle would give you 24 servings. At $17.79 on allstarhealth.com that's $0.74 per day (almost $0.15 per pill).)

One Drawback:
        I hate to say it, but I did get fish burps from this, despite it being enteric coated. I tried taking one pill at a time instead of two, but to no avail. I will say that it didn't bother me personally. It may sound strange, but these burps seemed more tolerable than other fish burps I've had with other brands. They were very short-lived and not strong. Still, I realize that some people have a problem with this so I figured I should mention it. I won't dock points for this because I don't think it takes away from the overall product.

Final thoughts:
        I like NOW for their basic, quality, no-frills approach. Here they offer a high dose of effective ingredients at the lowest price I've been able to find. Ultra Omega-3 is nothing fancy because it doesn't need to be, but it makes a lasting impression.