Glucosamine and Chondroitin Reviews

By: NOW

Glucosamine and Chondroitin is a Joint Support Product manufactured by NOW. It is designed to improve and maintain the health of cartilage, tendons and joints in the body.

Only 2 Reviews - Waiting for more trustworthy reviews

December 20, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Joints Feel Good
  • Noticeable Improvement In Joints
  • Good Profile
  • No Taste
  • On The Pricier Side

I'm starting to become more experienced at lifting year after year, but have only been training for approximately 5 years so I'm still learning and by no means advanced yet. However, I train intensely for 5 - 6 times per week with weights and include a moderate morning cardio session (on empty stomach) and a short cardio session after weight training (~10 minutes).

Because of the winter time my joints were acting up a little (mostly wrists), hence my purchase of this product. Winter time also means bulking time for a great majority of lifters out there (right now, myself included) which usually results in lifting heavier to achieve more dense muscle gain. This is why I decided to use this joint support supplement.

The amount per serving size of 2 capsules is as follows:

Glucosamine HCl 750 mg

Chondroitin Sodium Sulfate
(from Bovine Cartilage) 600 mg

Trace Mineral Concentrate
(with Alfalfa) 400 mg

Other Ingredients: Gelatin (capsule), Magnesium Stearate (vegetable source) and Silica.
Contains shellfish (crab, shrimp, lobster, crayfish).

Needless to say if you're allergic to shellfish this product is not for you...

The dosage is on the high side for 2 capsules per serving in my opinion, but you might need 2 servings per day depending on your requirements.

Straight up white tablets with no taste or bad aftertaste. I always take them with food as instructed, because it might lead to nausea or other stomach issues if not taken with a meal.

I have no issue at all with swallowing these, but they are on the large side so your experience might be different if you have a hard time swallowing larger pills.

I started noticing less and less strain and/or pain in my wrist after ~1 - 2 weeks of taking 1 serving per day each morning with breakfast. I also had some slight discomfort in my knees from time to time (because of the cold and moist weather) and this also dissapeared but that might be a coincidence, it's hard to tell.

NOW Foods are known for making quality products with quality ingredients. This product is on the pricier side, especially if you plan on taking 2 servings each day.

Personally, I plan to keep using it in the colder (winter) months to come as that's when I feel I can use the extra joint support. After that I might discontinue use for a while and start again when I feel discomfort.

Side Effects

None for me, but as I said earlier I always take these with a meal to make sure I don't get discomfort in the stomach region or nausea.

Conclusion

If you are lifting heavy and feel you can use the extra support for you joints than this is a product for you! A quality supplement should cost some money, but make sure you can spare it because this product is not cheap, but worth it according to my personal experience with it.

This concludes my first ever review, let me know what you think of it!

February 1, 2016

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Supports Joint
  • Joints Feel Good
  • Price Not Too Bad

Hello again SR. I recently finished my bottle of NOW's Glucosamine and Chondroitin capsules. I use several NOW products throughout the year for daily support, and during the winter I use this particular one for my knee pains that pick up during the winter alongside with their fish oil product (I use this all year btw). Here's my review on their joint support supplement that seems to be effective for its intended use.

The ingredient profile is quite simple with primarily an assortment of minerals, sodium, and other ingredients intended to allow water retention to cushion your knees and ease the pain. Below is a more detailed explanation on the ingredients provided:

1,000mg = 1g

Glucosamine HCI 1.5g - This ingredient derives from shellfish, so if you're allergic then don't use or ask your physician first... Glucosamine is basically used to help support the defense against joint tissue loss. Studies showed that it is capable of even slowing down the effects of osteoarthritis (not curing it though). The dosage provided is the recommended amount from research (1g-2g daily). Although 3g dosages are said to help decrease possible joint degradation in athletes...

Chondroitin Sodium Sulfate 1.2g - The common use of this ingredient is for joint health since it's a chemical found within joint cartilage. Research shows that it slightly helps with osteoarthritis pains, and has synergistic capabilities when combined with Glucosamine. Basically the effectiveness of both ingredients help protect your joint tissues to an extent.

ConcenTrace Trace Elements 800mg - This was an interesting ingredient I haven't seen before. Not sure if the previous NOW joint health supp I used was different last year or if this was recently added. Anyways, this is basically a blend of natural minerals that derives from the Salt Lakes and is essentially harvested. Helps with joint strength, health, and recovery, but also has numerous other health benefits for things such as circulatory health. The dosage isn't bad, but is around 20% of the recommended dosage of the ConcenTrace supplements dosage, which is why I assume they added extra magnesium.

All ingredients are from natural sources and deemed safe for most consumers. NOW has alot of awards for being a high quality natural supp.

I purchased the capsule form of this supplement, but I have seen that it can be in powder pill form and liquid as well with some minerals being excluded. the capsules surprisingly have little taste and are easy to swallow.

Recommended dosing is 4 capsules daily broken up into two dosages of two capsules. You can consume this on an empty stomach or with a meal.

8.0/10

Honestly my knee feels slightly better while on this joint supplement compared to when I'm just using fish oil. I'm not saying the pain instantly goes away, but while performing barbell squats I'm not feeling as much pain as usual (with the help of knee wraps too). Plus when I wake up in the morning the stiff, dull feeling isn't really present. I believe it's the actual ingredients working and not some placebo effect, but I'm sure each person is going to possibly have different experiences. However, for me I give two thumbs up to this joint health supplement providing extra support.

The value technically isn't bad although I'd like to see it around $12.00 instead. I purchased the 120 capsule bottle from All Star Health for $14.69, which makes it a 30 day supplement (120 caps / 4 caps daily). Looking around I found this supplement for similar prices. The retail value is $32.00, but I've yet to see it sold for this price honestly. The value is worth it at the rate of $14.69 placing the daily servings at $0.49 (120 caps bottle). Retail price would make it $1.07, which is kind of high in my opinion. You get what you pay for at least with their quality ingredients.

Side Effects

No side effects (woot)

Conclusion

I'd definitely recommend this supplement to anybody experiencing joint pain especially during the winter months. Though at the non-sale price range I don't think I'd take it all year round even though it's completely safe too. Still it's a high quality supplement from a brand I always trust and keep going back to. Kudos again to NOW for keeping their products clean and effective!