Dextrose Reviews

Overall
8.9
  February 1, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Great Value
  • Solid Company

Two ingredients I always use following a workout are BCAAs to prevent DOMS and a source of fast acting carbs to replenish glycogen used during the workout to prevent muscle protein synthesis and loss of muscle. if fact I like to get a head start on these and actually use them to make up an Intra workout drink. I like Myprotein's flavored BCAA which is a quality product at a great price. For carbs I use NOW Dextrose. This review will cover NOW's Sports Dextrose powder.

Th label states that 18g of sugars are contained in each 20g serving. It would be good to know what the other 2 grams are... presumably organic (non carbohydrate) residue from the corn that the dextrose is derived from. Anyway, 20g is only 70 calories, and no added sweeteners. Non-GMO too which is always a bonus.

I add about 30g to my intra workout drink. Mixes easily. Virtually no taste (at least not over the flavored BCAA that I add with it).

Very difficult to measure. I have put on some good quality muscle this past year by switching my workouts to high rep (x20) and supersets on everything. I feel the use of dextrose helped (I have been using this for about 2 years), but its not really possible to isolate it and confirm.

I am sure the highly branched cyclic dextrin used by Nutrabio in its PRE Extreme PWO is a more quickly absorbed fast carb source, but I doubt the effectiveness is really any different to dextrose, and NOW dextrose is much more economical to use.

The 10lb tub is great value at $26 on Amazon (free shipping with PRIME). Allstar Health also has it for $22 currently, but you have to add shipping, so it works out the same. For this you get 10lbs of dextrose - good for about 150 doses at 30g/dose. That works out at $0.15 per workout - cant beat that! There are other brands offering dextrose powder but none come close to NOW's pricing. Actually NOW's 2lb bag is about the same price if you buy 5 bags.

Side Effects

Conclusion

At $0.15 per workout I use this all the time as an insurance against muscle protein breakdown following a workout - especially if its going to be more than an hour before you can eat post workout. And I can vouch for NOWs quality (well, at least their product testing). I company I worked for sold instrumentation into NOWs own testing lab in Chicago, and that has a reputation as a very good quality testing lab. NOW products in any case have a good reputation in the industry. Cant go wrong with this product.

• Clipper83
      February 1, 2018

This product has already been reviewed on SR actually. We just had the old pic of it up until now. Tommy can move this to that product

• DLP1
      February 1, 2018 - Last Edited: 2018-02-01 20:32:26

Ok thanks. I should have searched for NOW dextrose. I searched for Dextrose and about 4 other dextrose products came up under "ingredients". The NOW Dextrose entry thats in there is the smaller 2lb product, but you dont get any discount for buying the 10lb. I have edited the review

• Clipper83