Dextrose Reviews

By: NOW

Energy Supplements > Carbohydrates
Dextrose is a Carbohydrate Product manufactured by NOW. It is designed to provide the body with the vital macronutrient carbohydrates which is used as fuel to help performance as well as improve muscle recovery.

8.9
  February 1, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Great Value
  • Solid Company

Two ingredients I always use following a workout are BCAAs to prevent DOMS and a source of fast acting carbs to replenish glycogen used during the workout to prevent muscle protein synthesis and loss of muscle. if fact I like to get a head start on these and actually use them to make up an Intra workout drink. I like Myprotein's flavored BCAA which is a quality product at a great price. For carbs I use NOW Dextrose. This review will cover NOW's Sports Dextrose powder.

Th label states that 18g of sugars are contained in each 20g serving. It would be good to know what the other 2 grams are... presumably organic (non carbohydrate) residue from the corn that the dextrose is derived from. Anyway, 20g is only 70 calories, and no added sweeteners. Non-GMO too which is always a bonus.

I add about 30g to my intra workout drink. Mixes easily. Virtually no taste (at least not over the flavored BCAA that I add with it).

Very difficult to measure. I have put on some good quality muscle this past year by switching my workouts to high rep (x20) and supersets on everything. I feel the use of dextrose helped (I have been using this for about 2 years), but its not really possible to isolate it and confirm.

I am sure the highly branched cyclic dextrin used by Nutrabio in its PRE Extreme PWO is a more quickly absorbed fast carb source, but I doubt the effectiveness is really any different to dextrose, and NOW dextrose is much more economical to use.

The 10lb tub is great value at $26 on Amazon (free shipping with PRIME). Allstar Health also has it for $22 currently, but you have to add shipping, so it works out the same. For this you get 10lbs of dextrose - good for about 150 doses at 30g/dose. That works out at $0.15 per workout - cant beat that! There are other brands offering dextrose powder but none come close to NOW's pricing. Actually NOW's 2lb bag is about the same price if you buy 5 bags.

Side Effects

Conclusion

At $0.15 per workout I use this all the time as an insurance against muscle protein breakdown following a workout - especially if its going to be more than an hour before you can eat post workout. And I can vouch for NOWs quality (well, at least their product testing). I company I worked for sold instrumentation into NOWs own testing lab in Chicago, and that has a reputation as a very good quality testing lab. NOW products in any case have a good reputation in the industry. Cant go wrong with this product.

August 5, 2014

Cons:
      Ok what can I say, far too many people do not understand why just a whey protein shake post workout IS NOT enough. Sure it helps recovery and protein syn but adding a high glycemic carb such as dextrose will aid in restoring muscle glycogen levels.

Profile-10/10
      Easiest profile I will ever have to do since the name of the product says it all, dextrose. That is literally all that is in this.

Effectiveness-10/10
      I personally use 20-30g of whey, 10g of casein and 30g of dextrose as my postworkout shake and it does help a lot with recovery. I will a lot better the next day and see solid strength gains in the gym. Also this is a great product to add to a creatine since creatine needs insulin to be present to be absorbed.

Value-10/10
      Paid about $20 for 10lbs which is roughly 2500g of dextrose overall.

Overall-10/10
      The price is unbeatable and this is honestly just as important as protein in a post workout shake. Sorry for the short review but there really is not much to say since it is a very simple product which plays a huge role in muscle recovery.

July 3, 2012

Pros:
       Cons:
      • Awesome Taste
      • No Scoop
      I just got off of my cutting phase and was looking to add more carbs into my shakes during the day and since it is hard for me to gain weight, I was looking for something powder wise rather than more food on my bulk. I came across this supplement and ordered a 10 lb tub and I am so glad I did.

Value: 10
      First of off, this was the best part about it. I got 10 lbs of this for $24 at allstarhealth.com and for the amount, it was a great deal.

Effectiveness: 9
      I have noticed more energy post workout as I do not crash as hard as the carbs allow me to function better afterwards and have noticed a better and lean bulk gain. For the price I paid and the purpose I use it for, this is an excellent product to supplement with.

Dosage:
      I take about 46 grams postworkout with around 50 grams of protein to help me bulk better and increase muscle gains.

Taste: 10
      All I could taste it that my shakes tasted sweeter but that was it. I added more water to my shakes as it got too sweet with the amount I put in but that is about the only downfall is that it can be too sweet i large amounts.

Overall:
      A great product and even better price, I recommend this to anyone who is on a bulk or has trouble gaining weight to put on some lean pounds of muscle.

February 11, 2012

• Non Reasealable Bag.
      this review will be short due to im not 100% certain on how to review this other than how i feel it did for me. i used it during a bulking phase. i used a ON whey scooper which is said to be about 50g carbohydrates, in conjunction with ON hydrobuilder. now i was eating alot during this time, but i was not using far to many supplements. i cant attest to how much muscle i gained while using this but during my phase i went from 195-198lbs to 212-215 (weird scale) in 4 months while only gaining about 2-3% bodyfat. believe it or not thats up to you but im going by measurements.

effectiveness-10: now this is something that helps spike insulin. im sure it did that being its so high on the glycemic scale so i cant help but rate it for doing exactly what its supposed to do. i was rarely sore during my bulk and if i was it didnt last to long. i cant say this directly contributed to that but knowing its main function im sure it did.

taste-6: i thought this would make my shake sweet as candy. instead it gave it a slight cornmeal flavor. and made my shake almost taste as if it was bit stale. not unbearable but i was disappointed.

cost-10: dirt cheap no reason to complain. and it lasted a while so cant beat that

my only complaints is that it came in a bag, that wasnt resealable so i had to find a container for it. thats nothing tho so i dont hold it against it. also the no scoop kinda is a pain but as i said i used an ON whey scoop and i keep the used scoops so it was also not to much a problem.

i believe used with hydrolized whey you have a post workout dream in a cup for your muscles.

i will definitely be using it again on my next bulk cycle and i will be using more of it in that time.

December 2, 2010

Pros:
       Cons:
      • Awesome Taste
      • No Scoop
      Dextrose, quite possibley the most important supplement post workout. This stuff is great, while boasting a 100 on the glycemic index, It will help you put on weight with ease. Another good quality about dextrose is the taste. Mix this in with your post workout shake and it will taste like candy. another good quality is the price, i got a 10 lb container for 20 bucks on BodyBuilding.com. Although the package in the picture is the old package, the new container is just like a protein container.I will usually throw in 25g of dextrose with my intra BCAA's. It gives a extra little boost in the gym. The only problem i have with this is that it doesn't come with a scoop. But don't worry about that guys, unlce worm is here to help. 1 ON Whey scoop= 50g of dextrose. Its been tested with a scale so its legit guys. So Bigworm gives this 2 thumbs up, and if you want some sweet candy flavored protein shakes then get it.