(Better than 70% in Amino Acids > Beta-Alanine)

Beta-Alanine is a Beta-Alanine Product manufactured by NOW. It helps increase carnosine levels, which helps buffer lactic acid and increase muscle endurance by decreasing the 'burn' during exercise. This increse in endurance can translate to increased muscle mass and strength.

Amino Acids > Beta-Alanine

Overall
Overall
9.3
9.3
  December 30, 2015

• Feel Tingles
    Just pure carnosyn beta alanine. Nothing added, no dyes, no bull.
    Beta alanine is a non essential amino acid that is produced naturally in the liver. There is a difference between carnosyn and regular beta alanine. Carnosyn is a patented beta alanine that stays in the bloodstream longer than regular beta alanine.

Taste
    I am not going to give a grade for taste. It is unflavored. If you mix it with water, it'll mix well in water. I personally would not drink it with just water and beta alanine. Either mix it with a pre workout or juice. It is not like creatine where you end up with a gritty taste.

Mixability A+
    Mixes great. No clumps or anything.

Dosing A
    The recommended dose is 2 grams, 4-6 times a day. I personally do not take 8-12 grams of beta alanine a day nor do I spread out my dosing. I take it on days I train, usually around 4-5 grams pre workout.

I wish NOW had provided a scooper. It would be much easier to scoop with pre-measured scooper than having to use a scale. Not a setback, just a personal preference.

Effectiveness A
    If you feel the tingles, then the beta alanine is working. I've also noticed that I don't get fatigued as easily when I supplemented this for every workout. Towards the end of my workout, I'm usually beat and don't have much energy to push a few extra reps. After using this product for a few weeks, I can push to get those few extra reps, usually 1 or 2 extra. Don't expect to take the product once and bust out extra reps. The effects take awhile to show like creatine. Supplement with it regularly for a few weeks.

Value A+
    I bought this on Amazon for $17 for a 500 gram container. Same price it cost me to buy creatine. And I get 100 servings (5g per one serving).

Update: The price has significantly gone up on Amazon. It is now $25. BB.com has it for $20, excluding shipping.

Side Effects
    None. If you don't like the tingles, then this is not the product for you. Sometimes however beta alanine starts to clump up. So occasionally I had to take a spoon and crush all the chunks into smaller pieces again. If it starts clumping up on you, it's not because the product went bad.

Conclusion
    I recommend this anyone who has a pre workout that is under dosed, just really enjoys the tingles, or is making their own pre workout.

Other Prices:
    A1Supplements   $14.95
    TF Supplements   $14.95
    Ill Pump You Up   $20.95

October 12, 2013

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Great Endurance
    • Delays Fatigue
    • Incredible Price
    • Lasts Forever
    • Pleasant Taste
      I purchased a rather large container of Beta Alanine by NOW off of BB.com. I needed something to get me through workouts on days where I opt to do volume training instead of power lifting. (Usually days I do arms and back) Most people I know opt for some random preworkout such as NO Explode, Celucore, or Jacked 3D. All of those have a proprietary blend and in some cases not enough of any one key ingredient to make a difference. Two of then I know contain caffeine but that is a high price to replace a cup of coffee.

Off my rant. Beta Alanine as stated by others reduces muscle fatigue. For the record I do not know of another company who makes pure Beta Alanine, only NOW.

A little bit of background on NOW Nutrition. Unlike Optimum, Universal, or BSN, NOW isn't actually considered a supplement manufacture. They are actually considered a Vitamin manufacture who happens to have a supplement line. Whether or not anyone on here thinks there is a difference is debatable and everyone is entitled to and opinion. However, because NOW does actually make more of their money from vitamin sales they are the only company in the sports supplement industry that produces and sales specific amino acids as opposed to a BCAA stack pre-workout, post-workout etc.This is what led me to gong to NOW to find Beta Alanine.

Compared to say creatine mono the Beta crystals are quite large. I never mixed it with anything instead just popping roughly 2 grams in my mouth and washing it done with water right before workout. Now, I am a big supporter of the idea that you need about 5 grams of anything to actually get the desired. This does not apply here. Start with one gram because this stuff does work. I made the mistake of taking 5 grams preworkout and was to nauseous to finish my workout. I went down to 1 gram and eventually worked my way up to 2. The Beta Alanine kicked in in about ten minutes. I would become very flush. I looked it up and this is a normal side effect of Beta Alanine.

All in all the product worked very well. I do not use this product everyday and honestly I do not even use it every week. everyday use is probably not needed unless you are a steroid free bodybuilder. I got this at a very good price from BB.com. NOW is one of the more respected distributors out there and have a great reputation for quality.

Other Prices:
      A1Supplements   $14.95
      TF Supplements   $14.95
      Ill Pump You Up   $20.95

February 24, 2012

Pros:
       Cons:
      • Delays Fatigue
      • Incredible Price
      • Lasts Forever
      • Pleasant Taste
        Alright guys, here's my first review as an Expert! As always, here is my objective view of an incredible supplement that I recommend to anyone as a staple supplement, NOW Beta Alanine. Let's get into the specs, shall we?

Background/Label Claims

Beta-Alanine is a non-essential amino acid that is used by muscle cells to synthesize Carnosine (a dipeptide composed of Beta-Alanine and Histidine). Carnosine then functions inside the muscle cells as a buffer for lactic acid, which is a byproduct of strenuous exercise. In layman terms, this delays the "burning" you feel when you're pumping out those last reps in a set, allowing you to perform more reps per set.

Beta-Alanine has been clinically proven to allow your muscles to work harder for longer, delay muscle fatigue, and enhance recovery. All of these things will lead to an increase in strength and endurance.

The label claims to "support muscular endurance", "delay muscle fatigue", and the product to be "highly potent". As far as living up to the claims, it does on every count. When I'm on BA compared to when I am off of it, I can definitely feel a difference in how long it takes in a set for me to feel the lactic acid burn.

Profile: 10

1 ingredient: CarnoSyn (patented) Beta-Alanine (I got the 500 gram container). Can't go wrong with the pure stuff.

Value: 10

Gotta go 10 again on this. I got 500 grams for $22 at bodybuilding.com. That means that per every 4g (which is the serving size I used), I was only paying $.18. At that price, you could feasibly run this product year round with 0 problems with your pocketbook. It can even be had for less, I just searched and found one place online that offers 500 g for $18 ($.14/4g serving).

Usage: 10

A pure powder is incredibly versatile, and this is no different. When I would take it, I'd simply add a scoop to either my own preworkout mix or postworkout shake. While I was stacking it with GPLC, I even put the powder right on my toungue from the teaspoon and washed it down. On off days, I took it with creatine/bcaas/whatever else I was running at the time upon waking so that I could keep my body's stores of BA up. I would always take 4g at a time, which lasted me 125 days (crazy). You really only need 3 containers for an entire year lol.

Taste/Mixability: 10

I was pleasantly surprised with the taste of this! I has a very sweet taste and pretty much dissolves on contact with water without even shaking/mixing. It's a grainy texture vs. powdery, so that was a bit odd but not bad by any means. Never settled on the bottom of my shaker or posed any mixability problems.

And everyone knows by now of the "tingles" that come from this product. It's technically called "parathesia" and is an indicator that the BA is attaching to your nerves so it can be used. With the pure stuff you get it everywhere: on the lips, your cheeks, neck... I even get it pretty hard in my ears for some reason lol. But that's not a con for me (may be for some).

Effectiveness: 9

Like I said for one of my last Whey Isolate reviews, by simply doing its job a product deserves an 8 in my book. I seldom give 10s for effectiveness (if ever) so 9 is nothing to sneeze at. I believe that, for the price, this product goes waaaaay beyond expectations. I mentioned earlier that I felt a substantial delay in lactic acid when I was taking this. On top of that, I've read a few articles on how Beta-Alanine has very synergistic effects with creatine, and when I took both at the same time as opposed to apart, I noticed the combined effect was substantially greater than when taken separation. 1+1 = 3 here. I also LOVE the tingle, it's an "all systems go" signal for me and lets me know it's doing it's thing in my system.

Overall: 9

Again, wouldn't feel right giving something a 10, so this one gets a 9. INCREDIBLE bang for the buck, I don't think I've found another product with a lower price/serving. Considering that it actually does all of the things it says it will do, and does is incredibly well, it is one of my favorite pure products of all time (probably even my favorite). Like I said, it even amplifies the effect of creatine, so you can take both and make even better progress.

As far as pure products, I really like NOW Sports and I'm glad I picked this gem up. I'll be taking this MANY more times in the future, you can guarantee that.

January 31, 2011

• Great Endurance
          With all the bull*** products that the supplement industry tries to push on us, which ones actually work? Look no further Beta-Alanine is the new creatine.

Taste/Texture:10/10 It is tasteless is a little gritty if you take it in a shot glass like i do. What i did to add some flavor to it was put all of the Beta in my old Xtend watermelon container and it took on the taste somehow... AWESOME!

Mixability:10/10 Don't even know its there.

Effectiveness:10/10 A product that actually has legit studies and works!??!!?!?? Unheard of. I took 3g pre-workout as you hit your warm up sets you start to feel the tingles then you know its go time. This product really gave me amazing endurance i could bang out more reps and would often look for more exercises to do after i finished my usual workout.This product really shined for me in wrestling though my endurance was way up, it felt like i could go on forever.

Value: 10/10 3-4 month supply for $20.99, cheap and great for people that make their own pre-workouts.

Overall:10/10 This product blew me away and will be in my stack for a very long time. Go pick some up!

July 28, 2010

• Great Endurance
            It is rare that I would consider giving a product all 10's, but this one clearly deserves it.
            To start out, I got rid of all other pre-workouts to test its effectiveness for the first few weeks. I made the mistake of doing a double dose the first day (4g). DON'T DO THIS! You will hear some say that the "tingles" you get from this product aren't so bad, what they really mean is that you will eventually get used to it. The first day I got the feeling that I wanted to rip off every square inch of my skin, so start small 1-2g/day in the beginning and work your way up. Now that I am used to it, I take 2g on non workout days, and 4g on workout days. I take 4g a half hour before workout and the tingles come in 10-15 min.

As far as mixing, mixes perfectly. I drop in my water bottle or gatorade, shake up and I would never know anything is there because it leaves nothing once shook up.
            As far as taste it is tasteless. Sometimes when a product says that, you do taste it, not in this case.
            In terms of effectiveness, this does not give me a "pump." In fact I don't even realize anything is in my system. Where this really hits a home run is when I enter the 2nd half of the workout. Normally by this time I'm dragging. Not the case when I'm on Beta. I find that I am doing more sets and reps per exercise than ever before. I even find myself looking for other exercises to do since I still have the energy. As far as endurance and muscular fatigue resistance, this product is by far the best I've ever taken.
            Some will tell you to load and that you won't feel for a few weeks. I have not found that loading is necessary and I got good results from day one.
            This stuff is cheap. For $25, this will last you 4-6 mo.
            To sum up, I was blown away by this product and will rec to everybody. This is now a permanent part of my stack. In my opinion, this would also be a good supp to add to a gatorade before a sporting event no matter what the sport.

December 1, 2009

Cons:
              Been mixing this with my pre-workout drink. The drink now consists of beta-alanine, AAKG, Glutamine, taurine, flavoring, and sometimes GlycoMaize.
              The taste isn't noticable in the mix and I haven't tried it straight.
              I have not had any side effects and that includes that "feeling" that so many get with b-alanine.
              I have noticed some better pumps while using this and have had better fatigue resistance.
              For me this product is better than the staple of creatine.
              I will buy it again and recommend it to anyone wanting to use beta-alanine and know just how much of it they are getting.