Vegan Protein Snack Bars Reviews

By: Nourish & Bloom

(Better than 35% in Protein > Protein Bars)

Vegan Protein Snack Bars is a Protein Bar manufactured by Nourish & Bloom. It is a quick, conveinient source of protein and commonly used as a meal replacement. The additional protein can help increase muscle mass as well as promote fat loss.

Overall

• No Artificial Colors Or Sweeteners
  • High Fiber
  • Natural Ingredients
  • Few Flavor Options

Hello all! Full intro on myself can be found on the forum here: https://supplementreviews.com/forum/index.php?topic=35432.0

A little back story on these bars. At about the middle of last year I had the privilege of visiting the BodyBuilding.com HQ in Boise, ID as part of a group of randomly selected people to speak with various groups of the company about how to improve the site and service to the bodybuilding community. While I was touring their HQ, the group leader introduced us to Kandace Hudspeth, who is the founder of the company Nourish & Bloom. Their focus is on all-natural vitamins and supplements for women. While I am not their target demographic, I connected with what Kandace had to say about the company's mission and the types of products that it is producing. As part of the goodie bag that each person received, there were a few boxes of these bars included. Since these come from a relatively unknown company, I wanted to share my review and feedback about this product with the rest of the SR community.

The ingredients included in this bar are: Organic Cashew Butter, Non-GMO Soluble Tapioca Fiber, Pea Protein, Pea Protein Crisp (Pea Protein, Tapioca Starch), Cherries, Water, Sunflower Lecithin, Organic Coconut Oil, Chia Seeds, Organic Flaxseeds, Natural Flavors, Greens Blend (Green Tea, Spirulina, Chlorella), Stevia, Kale, Spinach, Sea Salt.

As you can see, this bar is made from all natural ingredients with no whey protein, artificial colors or sweeteners and is vegan. By looking at the macros, I would relate this bar closely to a Quest protein bar. It is a little higher in fat compared to most Quest bars at 11g but only 2.5g of that is saturated fat. The carbs are about for a protein bar at 25g with 15g of that being fiber (similar to the fiber amount you find in Quest bars). Relatively low sugar at only 4g with 15g of protein per bar. While the protein amount may seem low to some when compared to many other bars on the market that contain 20g to 30g each; one must remember that these bars are marketed mainly towards women who have lower protein goals compared to the average male bodybuilder. In the end, with 11g of mostly healthy fats paired with 15g of fiber and 15g of protein; this is a solid bar that will likely be quite satisfying for anyone who eats it (male or female).

Taste >> Currently they only have two flavors to choose from. Cherry Quinoa Crunch and Chocolate Almond Biscotti. I tried both of them and the Cherry Quinoa Crunch was by far my favorite. I love cherries and that was the main flavor I got from eating this bar. The other flavor was ok but nothing really stood out for me when eating it. There was no strong chocolate or almond flavor to it. The cherry flavor won it for me and I would eat that bar continuously if given the option.

Mixability >> Since the product is in bar form, nothing to report on mixability. I will note that these bars had a slight oily coating on the outside which I think was because of the cashew butter and coconut oil ingredients. This did not make the bar slimy or difficult to eat but I would recommend having a napkin nearby if you don't eat the bar directly from the package.

Dosing >> As with many protein bars or protein food products, the dosing is left up to each individual. The company web page for this product doesn't give any specification for how these should be used. For the targeted demographic, I could see these being used as a snack or a meal replacement if paired with another item like a piece of fruit. With me being a larger male, this made a great snack after the gym and when traveling to eat on the go. I would also eat these at night as an after dinner snack. The sweetness of the cherry flavor reduced any cravings I had for late night candy or ice cream.

Much like any protein based food product, the effectiveness is left up to each individual, how they choose to use them and their goals by consuming the product. These are effective at being a quick on the go snack to get some protein, fiber and healthy fats into your diet while not slowing you down. If you are a person who tracks macros, this bar will assist you in hitting your protein and fiber goals each day. It is also an effective replacement for a candy bar if you are willing to sacrifice a little on taste and sweetness. If your typical food intake lacks fiber, having one of these can easily help keep you regular and create good bacteria in your stomach. And if you are vegan or trying to avoid whey protein, this is one of the best bars I know of on the market IMO.

Personally I found these most effective as a snack at night when sugar cravings would normally hit. Instead of having some ice cream or candy, I would grab one of these. It would take me longer to eat than the ice cream or candy and fill me up more. Taking longer to eat also helped me ask myself if I was really hungry or just bored. By the time I finished the bar, not only was I full but also able to keep myself from eating more because of boredom.

You can purchase these bars either directly through the company's website or from BB.com. The price is $36 for a box of 12 bars. At $3.00 a bar, these are on the higher end compared to similar whey protein style bars. In comparison to other vegan or plant based protein bars, these are about average in price. Please note that you can only purchase these in boxes of 12. They do not have the option available to buy a single bar. If you purchase these through BB.com, they are part of the $49 free shipping program. If you purchase them directly from the company's website, free shipping is included.

Side Effects

I personally did not experience any side effects while consuming these. Keep in mind that each bar contains 15g of fiber, so be cautious of eating too many in a day as it may cause stomach issues.

Conclusion

Honestly, this is normally not the type of bar that I would initially ever directly go to. I am not vegan or female and do not specifically seek out products with no artificial colors or sweeteners and I am ok with whey protein. However this bar was a pleasant surprise! I know and can pronounce all of the ingredients listed on the label, which is almost impossible with other bars because of the artificial ingredients that are used. I also like the company and the mission that they are looking to achieve in the fitness community, especially focusing on women and producing products that cater to their needs versus your typical meathead in the gym. While I do not fall into any of the target demographics for this company; they produced a great protein bar, have a solid mission of helping others in the community and get two thumbs up from me!

Thank you for reading my review and let me know if you have any questions
  • Cherry Quinoa Crunch : 9/10
  • Chocolate Almond Biscotti : 5/10

• bzyczek

Nice review

• dmf8625
    March 13, 2018

@bzyczek Thank you! I wanted to bring these to the attention for those who may be looking for a different option when it comes to protein bars.

Advertisement: