RE-PEAK™ Post-Workout Reviews

By: NorthBound Nutrition

Amino Acids > Recovery
RE-PEAK™ Post-Workout is a Recovery Product manufactured by NorthBound Nutrition. It is an amino acid based product that is designed to assist in workout recovery.

September 21, 2016

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Improved Recovery
  • Decreased Soreness
  • Transparent Profile
  • Clinically Dosed
  • Efficiently Dosed
  • Great Recovery
  • Reduced DOMS
  • Higher Cost Per Serving
Glad to have the opportunity to get a tub of NorthBound's Re-Peak. I have been thinking about going to using a post workout besides protein alone for a while but just hadn't. When I saw this posted, I had to give it a shot.

NorthBound currently carries 4 products that are all natural with fully disclosed labels. This is a fresh addition to the behind the curtain supplement industry for sure. I encourage you to check out their website sometime.

Taste 4/10
Lemon lime is the only flavor. While I do appreciate being all natural and realize that normally that leads to less than desirable taste, this is drinkable at best. The smell when you open the canister will smack you in the face. The taste itself is lower than the OG Gatorade that was lemon lime. It has a hint of that weak flavor but something in there really clashes with it.

On top of that, it mixes poorly. With the profile, you would expect that however. Normally a good swirl will keep it suspended enough to get it into your mouth. Extra water doesn't help either. Just gives you more to drink. I would suggest swirl it and chug as much as you can each time. I could get it down in 3 chugs.

Profile 8/10

As previously mention, fully disclosed. My favorite part about the profile is the 5g or glutamine. When I am really training hard, I love having extra glut in my supplements. I take it in straight power form too, but having an extra shot of it in the other things I'm taking is a huge bonus.

Also, when I'm taking creatine, I use more than the standard 5g. This has that amount in it so on top of what I take normally, this is a good addition. With creatine showing up in more and more supplements, we are all taking more than the standard 5g anyway more than likely. I like to keep mine up around 10-12.

Another plus for me was that it was dye free! I'm tired of thinking about what the blue and red dyes are doing to the inside of my body based on cleaning my shakers.

Checkout the ingredients link for the full profile.

Effectiveness 8/10

I personally drink a BCAA intra workout because I like the flavor of something besides just water. My DOMS only really occur on heavy (poundage or high reps) deadlift or squat days because of that. On those days however, I can say that I noticed I had less DOMS, especially in my hamstrings.

When I would do my high rep days is when I would notice the biggest difference is on the high rep days. Those are the days that would wear my hammies out more than any others. Stairs and sitting would become a challenge for about 2 days. Once I started taking this, I still had DOMs but they were nowhere near as bad. More of a comfort issue vs something I had to plan on every time I sat down or stood up.

Value 7/10

So you're looking at $34 for 20 servings. Yes, just 20 not 30. That is on the high end of a post workout, especially without protein. Now, there are quality ingredients in here and you get what you pay for. I think this is a high quality product that they don't put fluff in. Everything has a purpose and is backed by studies.

Overall. 7.8/10

This did work for me and I was able to get past the smell/taste. While I did see results with my recovery, I also found it too hard to drink a protein shake after this. Based on where my gym is and the travel time to get home, I usually like to get a protein shake in before I eat whole food too. For me it came down to the simple decision: This or protein. I prefer protein. There's no way this would mix with protein for me.

I'll say it again; this is a quality product with quality ingredients. If you are looking for a post along this line, give it a shot. You won't be disappointed. Thank you NorthBound.
  • Lemon-Lime: 4/10

8.9
  August 30, 2016

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Natural Flavor Dye Free
  • Clinically Dosed
  • Efficiently Dosed
  • Great Recovery
  • Reduced DOMS
  • Money Back Guarantee
  • Horrible Horrible Taste
  • Higher Cost Per Serving
Introduction + Supplement Facts
In an unusual delight I was able to claim the products by Northbound Nutrition, which were featured on PricePlow. They are serious with their dosages, and with smaller price points than you might expect! The dosages in this product are hefty hefty hefty! There are many things I like about the label, yet some areas I don't. 5g Leucine but no Iso + Valine, 5g Creatine Mono is great, 2.5g Betaine, 5g Glutimine (more than clinical and I like it), 2g Carnipure which I have always enjoyed and had great results! Spirulina at 2g, which made this taste odd.. and it is a heft dose! Spectra Blend which I have only seen with Kaged Supplements, but 100mg is probably underdosed, lastly 5mg BioPerine which is great. Great comprehensive formula, unique and Clinically Dosed or Efficiently Dosed.

To read more about the profile check the link here: http://www.northboundnutrition.com/post-workout

Taste + Mixability + Dosing
This stuff made me grimis, because the taste was just not right.. Being all natural some may appreciate, but boy I would rather some better flavors. Mixability sucks with this load of ingredients, but a few extra swirls or shakes between gulps/sips gets the job done. Dosing was simple with 1 full serving post workout, all within 30 minutes but always down within a few minutes due to the Creatine.

When it came to effectiveness this product was solid! Strength was maintained and nothing gained or lost while using this product and following the same diet + workout routine. Recovery was great, but how much better was it verses the typical 2:1:1 BCAA product? It was more effective, and every time I have Carnitine (Carnipure in this case) the recovery I face is much better. DOMS were barely noticeable even while taking a week off or having a week between different body parts. In terms of Antioxidant and Blood Flow + Pumps, I didn't really notice anything different especially with the Pumps as the ingredients in the 100mg Proprietary Blend is so small. Overall I performed better with this product than just BCAA's, and with the inclusion of Carnitine + Glutamine it was a solid product!

At a solid $35 with 20 servings you get this product for $1.70 a serving, which is a fusion of different products (Glutamine, Betaine, Creatine and more). For the price I feel this is "you get what you pay for", while it is a hefty price per serving but quality and dosing really helps the value.

Overall Conclusion
I am rather impressed with this product, while the flavor was practically disgusting it was an effective product. I have had products that had more than what is included in this, but this was more effective! Thank you Northbound for the allowing me to review this product.
  • Lemon-Lime: 1/10

August 26, 2016

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Improved Recovery
  • Decreased Soreness
  • Transparent Profile

It'd been a while since I'd utilized a robust post-workout product like Re-Peak. I loved taking Dark Matter and Aftershock when I first started lifting, but over time phased out all-in-one post-workouts in favor of less expensive options. I was excited to get back in the post-workout game and try Re-Peak.

NorthBound did a really nice job with Re-Peak. It contains a host of the usual players for a post-workout product with dosages that are clinically proven to be effective and are at or above industry averages. The core of Re-Peak is L-Leucine, Creatine, and Glutamine at 5g each. It also includes Spirulina Algae as an antioxidant and anti-inflammatory, Bioperine for absorption, and Betaine Anhydrous for creatine support. All in all a really cool profile of ingredients that is also fully transparent. High marks here.

Oh man. Low marks here. Re-Peak comes in one flavor, lemon-lime, which tastes legit nothing like lemon-lime. If you guys remember the old Aftershock, it had this odd smell to it. Re-Peak has that odor. It's rough. I had to make sure I was drinking it from a shaker as trying to drink it from my Nalgene had me gagging. If you don't smell it, it's not too bad. Has a gritty melon taste. On the grand spectrum of all things important in supplements, taste probably comes last, but don't expect a joyful treat with Re-Peak.

Mixability was mediocre. With this sort of profile you expect mixing to be slightly difficult. Lots of foaming and frothing, and there was often a good amount of sediment left in the bottom of my container. I did frequently have to add a bit more water after I'd drank it down to get that last bit of product.

I dosed this immediately post-workout you know not surprising.

Re-Peak is excellent. I experienced a noticeable decrease in DOMS while on this product. I'm not big on having creatine mixed in to a blended supplement like Re-Peak - I generally see better results from dosing straight up i.e. CreaPure - but I did experience solid gains during the month I dosed Re-Peak. It did its job and did it well. Exactly what most people expect from their post-workout products; solid increase to recovery, reduction of soreness, and support of muscle growth.

Re-Peak is not cheap. $34 for 20 servings = $1.70 per dose. Ouch. Most of these types of post-workout products have significantly different profiles, but they generally are expensive. Aftershock will crush you at $2.33 per dose for the smaller tub. Universal's Torrent is just as expensive. Dark Matter is better at $0.92 per scoop as is Myobuild. Could depend on exactly what you want in your post-workout, but Re-Peak roughly falls in the middle of this supplement category with respect to price.

Value is different for everyone so I base my ratings on how a product compares to competitors. As I mentioned, I found post-workouts to be too much for my budget and instead moved to supplementing straight glutamine and having a whey shake. If you're got the money and you want a really solid, well-rounded, effective all-in-one post-workout, Re-Peak is definitely worth checking out.

Side Effects

Conclusion

I really liked what NorthBound put together here. Re-Peak worked really well for me and I appreciate their commitment to transparency. While perhaps not as deep in ingredients as competitor products, I feel Re-Peak hits all the bases and delivers effective doses of the right type of supplements. Definitely recommend it depending on your budget.
  • Lemon-Lime: 4/10