BCAA²™ Intra-Workout Reviews

By: NorthBound Nutrition

Amino Acids > BCAA/EAA
BCAA²™ Intra-Workout is a BCAA/Intra-Workout manufactured by NorthBound Nutrition. BCAA is short for branched chain amino acids. They are the building blocks of protein and can increase protein synthesis, muscle recovery and endurance during workouts and have also been shown to reduce body fat.

October 1, 2016

• Good Focus
  • Taste Not For Everyone Being Natural
Introduction + Supplement Facts
Hello everyone, I am back with the third and final chapter of reviewing Northbound Nutrition and their currently three products! All of these products are unique with the formulations, no dyes, natural tastes, and really well done profiles. Starting off with their 8g Instant Aminos, which are obviously well dosed at 2:1:1 and being instant they get into the blood stream more quickly thus giving you enhanced recovery or great energy more quickly along with better absorption. 2g of Organic Coconut Water Powder, amazing dosage here! Recovery, electrolytes etc. 2g of Taurine for better recovery, energy. Their Spectra Blend added to this product, like their others. 1.5g of Tyrosine, which is their "Focus Blend" and I am not too sure why they would add this in their recovery product.. Bioperine, again absorption. All in all I like this formula, and it is great on dosages! 20 servings at this formula is a better value than 30 servings of a lesser formula with these ingredients. Check out the Mike's breakdown of the ingredients on PricePlow for more information: https://blog.priceplow.com/supplement-news/northbound-bcaa2

Edit: They have this product marketed as a Intra Product, thus making the Tyrosine be a continuation of their focus which is great if you don't run this Post Workout.

Taste + Mixability + Dosing
No Dyes or Artificial Flavors.. Never a good thing on the taste note for my experience, while the flavor for this product was better than their other two I wouldn't drink it like rich "Just For The Taste". Citrus flavor for sure, and tolerable compared to the others. The mixability was better than their other products also, as it contains Instant Aminos yet there is a little sediment due to the coconut water I believe yet nothing to really worry about with a shake of swirl you are good to go. Dosing was done Intra and Post, with 20 servings I was happy with this routine. I did however have this product on the days I was off as well. Again as mentioned in my Re-Peak review, I had to cycle this product for AFTER Re-Peak which means I didn't run these two together.

Effectiveness 8.7/10
First off this supplement is more than your typical BCAA product, as it contains the extras that normally you have to pay for and these premium ingredients.. but we get them in addition! I could tell when taking this intra workout that my endurance was better and that I remained more hydrated during and after my workouts. When it comes to recovery you can't beat the 2:1:1 BCAA, except when you make it 8g and then add Coconut and Taurine on top of it! Definitely enhanced recovery with the typical reduced DOMS, and ready to workout those muscles sooner rather than later (protein synthesis or building). With the Taurine I had noticed a small spike of energy in addition to the BCAA depending on consumption, along with some endurance grouped with the electrolytes. Endurance + Energy is an aspect that is tied to the overall synergistic effects for this profile, which was good at keeping you going for the workout. Recovery is the main reason that I wanted this product, and surely enough this was the most effective compensate of it. This did deliver completely in the claims, where DOMS were diminished and overall recovery felt more enhanced compared to not taking a recovery supplement/aid.

Claims:
Increases Strength and Endurance
-Not necessarily on the strength, but endurance was a yes.

Increases Power Output
-Not really

Provides Intense Focus
-It did give a good focus, not really Intense especially if consumed without a pre workout or after a workout.

Produces Powerful Pumps
-While there were some pumps, I wouldn't call it powerful.

Value 8.4/10
Simple here, 20 servings at $1.40 per serving.. You only need 1 serving, hell you could run it at half and it compare to other products on the market still. For this profile + Dosing you would expect for double the cost, yet it was comparable IMO.

Conclusion 8.6/10
I am impressed by this product and company in general! Seriously, what company can release these profiles and their dosages at these prices? The flavors need work simply put, while BCAA2 is better it isn't very enjoyable to me. I am excited to see what this company releases in the future, as these are solid products! Thank you Northbound for giving me the trifecta with all these products. Bottom Line is if you like all natural products, and you want an effective recovery product then look no further!
  • Citrus Blast: 5/10

September 24, 2016

• Label Clarity
    - Introduction -
    BCAA's are one of the supplements I tend to use the most. When I saw NorthBound's BCAA^2 pop up and I check the profile, I knew right away that I wanted to try this. As for my workouts, they are geared towards the APFT so it is a lot of higher reps in things such as push ups, sit ups an running with a Wendler 531 program mixed in.

- Ingredient Profile -
    8 grams of BCAA's per serving. Let me repeat, 8 grams. That is the kind of dosage I have been looking for. Too many do the typical 5 grams, or even lower. Right away when seeing the BCAA's dosage, I knew that NorthBound is not kidding around with their profiles. Next Tuarine at 2 grams, again great dosing. Got some L-Tyrosine in there, some CocOganic(Organic coconut water) they've got everything you need and more for a solid BCAA supplement. Now I say BCAA supplement, not intraworkout so much depending on your goal. This doesn't have anything that will aid in pump if that is what you are looking for. The way I used this is not as much a intraworkout, but as a nice refreshing BCAA drink in the morning which I will get into next.

- Taste/Mixability/Dosing -
    The taste is excellent, this is the kind of product you look forward to having. I had the citrus blast and it lived up to its name. Nice citrus flavors in there, sort of reminded me of orange juice with some lemonade mixed in. Wonderful taste. Mixability was also excellent, no problems with residue or particles floating around. Few shakes and you're good to go. Next dosing is easy, you got 20 total servings of a well dosed product. I would take this first thing in the morning since I do intermittent fasting for weight loss. NorthBound's BCAA product worked perfectly for this.

- Effectiveness -
    Now since I used this primarily as a morning BCAA's drink so I cannot say too much as to how well it does for workouts since I didn't use it during them, or can I? I would take this first thing in the morning before my workouts, and I think this aided in making my workouts better through hydration and prepping my muscles for the ensuing workout. On days I worked out, I would notice that my muscles stayed fresh longer and that I wouldn't get so sore afterward and less cramping during sprint workouts as well. As for muscle gain, that wasn't my goal so I will not speak on that. The recovery, the hydration, the taste and the excellent dosages make NorthBound's BCAA^2 one of my favorite BCAA supplements thus far.

- Value -
    Solid value based off the amount of BCAA's that in each scoop. Right now it is listed at $30 for 20 servings which at first sounds like a lot, but for the awesome product you are getting it is a solid deal.

- Side Effects -

- Conclusion -
    Never had heard of NorthBound Nutrition prior to this, but they quickly ascended the latter for me in terms of open profiles, dosing and taste. BCAA^2 is an excellent product and I highly recommend it to anyone looking for something to increase their performance at the gym, or just simply a refreshing drink that aids in recovery.
    • Citrus Blast: 9/10

August 8, 2016

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Good Focus
    • Label Clarity
    • Additional Ingredients Might Make Sense
    • Total Servings

Before I start I want to thank Northbound Nutrition for participating in the SR Troop Program. They are a relatively new company that is focusing on using premium ingredients with effective dosages. When I saw BCAA2 was available and did some research on the ingredients/dosages I had no choice but to try it out. During the duration of this review I was training 5-6 days a week while on a strict diet.

Claim: BCAA is a revolutionary product for those looking to capitalize on the golden opportunity the Intra-Workout window provides.

The ingredient profile is fully disclosed and transparent with effective dosages. Per serving (21.6 Grams) you're getting 8G of BCAA's 2:1:1, 2G Taurine, 1.5G L-Tyrosine and 2G CocOganic Organic Cocnut Water. Northbound Nutrition does a good job explaining why those chose these key ingredients - http://www.northboundnutrition.com/intra-workout?lightbox=dataItem-inzfjw2q1

The ingredient dosages are dosed over minimum effective levels - especially the L-Tyrosine and Taurine ingredients.

Taste - For this review I received the 20 Serving Citrus Blast flavor which is the only flavor available as of now. Overall I enjoyed the taste, it reminded me a lot of SunnyD. Having no artificial colors, preservatives or flavors - I was skeptical at first of how it was going to taste but I enjoyed it. Taste 9-10

Mixability - I didn't have any issues in regards to mixability - there was no clumping or settlement. As with most BCAA supplements there was some foaming at the top but nothing to worry about. Mixability 9/10

Dosing - The dosing protocol is very easy to follow: Mix one scoop with 14-16 oz of water and consume while training. On non-training days drink first thing in the morning. With this review I only used during training and not in the mornings on days off. Dosing 9-10

To judge the effectiveness of BCAA2 I'm going to use some different categories and individually rate them.

Strength/Power 8/10- I noticed a increase in strength toward the end of my sets, nothing over the top but it = More Gainz

Focus 8/10- There was increase focus while training, no tunnel vision feeling but definitely a nice increase.

Endurance 9/10- This was the biggest/best part of BCAA2, I felt like the energizer bunny and kept going, going, going........

Pump 2/10- Now this was the worst rated category, Northbound Nutrition uses the ingredients of Taurine and Spectra Total ORAC. I didn't notice any kind of pump feeling - Maybe the addition of L-Citrulline Malate would help the cause.

You can find 20 serving tubs on the NorthBound Nutrition website for $27.99. This equates to around $1.40 per serving - With effective ingredients and dosages I don't mind paying up. Compared to other BCAA/Intra-Workout supplements this is a little higher in price but definitely worth it. The only thing I would like to see changed is more servings to 30 for a full month supply.

Side Effects

Conclusion

In conclusion I give NorthBound Nutrition an 8.5/10, the only negatives are total servings and pumps. There are many more positives than negatives to include the ingredients, dosages, full disclosure and effectiveness. This is a supplement I could see myself using during longer training or cardio sessions. Once again I want to thank NorthBound Nutrition for participating in the SR Troop Program and definitely recommend BCAA2 for everyone.
    • Citrus Blast: 9/10