Zero Carb Isopure Reviews

By: Natures Best

FORUM TOPICS

Protein > Whey Protein
Zero Carb Isopure is a Whey Protein Powder manufactured by Natures Best. It is a dairy based protein that supports lean muscle gain by suppling additional protein to recovering muscles, which can also improve fat loss.

June 26, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Zero Carb
  • High Quality Protein
  • Fast Digestion Rate
  • Can Be Expensive
  • Taste Is Terrible
  • Occasional Mixing Issues

Isopure, A zero Carb clean Ion Exchange Microfiltered protein. Perfect for a cut when Calories and macros are meticulously measured.

Hello SR Fam. I used this product several months ago at the start of my cut. It was on sale so i couldnt resist trying it out. Isopures big push is their Zero Carb Zero Sugar Pure protein Isolate free of gluten, lactose or any other impurity.
Isopure is a part of the very large Glanbia Nutrition corporation. Bringers of some of the largest supplement brands on the market today. Several of Glanbias brands are among the most popular and widely used.
Isopure uses an Ion Exchange Microfiltered Process Whey protein Isolate which will bring out some of the cleanest proteins when mixed with liquid. Coupled with their added amino acid profile you get their effective optimal protein to reach your health or fitness goals.

Again its an Ion Exchange Milk Protein Isolate, Microfiltered Whey Protein Isolate along with an added Amino Acid blend. Now before people start screaming about spiking Aminos, the fact that on label they are "added" aminos discloses that the profile is on top of the Whey Protein Isolate which is very different then spiking your protein profile with aminos and counting it towards your protein count. ( hope that difference makes sense to you all). As you should expect the fat and carbs are 0-1 gram depending on the flavor.

The protein is also filled with Vitamins A-K, B6 and 12 along with several electrolytes

On label you are given the breakdown for a 2 scoop (65g) serving, give you about 21 servings for a 3lbs tub.
Using the Dutch Chocolate flavor you will see that when you add up all the active ingredients they total 52.5grams = approx 80% active ingredients and 20% flavor, colors, thickening and fillers.

This is right in the middle of what i see to be an acceptable range for a strictly Isolate protein on the low end you'll see profiles in the 70s and really truly clean Isolates in the 90%s.

Taste: Initially you will get a strong flavor but after a few seconds the Electrolytes start coming through and you will be left will a Salty and slightly metallic after taste in your mouth. I have tried both Dutch Chocolate and Vanilla and got the same experience with both.

Mixability: It mixed fairly well, but for a Microfiltered Isolate i was somewhat disappointed. After vigorously shaking my bottle I was left with chunks of unmixed protein every time. I would have to let the liquid settle and then shake it vigorously a 2nd time

Dosing: 50grams of protein per serve is right where I like it. Calories are as low as you should expect for an Isolate.

The Protein is clean and without much filler. Assuming you have your macronutrients measured out well this product gives you a very good amount of protein post workout. It can be used throughout the day if you wish but as an Isolate without any carbs or Fats are more quickly digested int he system I would see no use for ingesting Isopure at any other time but Post Workout or maybe first thing in the morning.

Here in Canada the regular price for a 3lb tub ranges from $44.99 - $59.99 making this $2.14/serve - $2.85/serve. This is very expensive even for an Isolate. This pricing is actually higher then most Hydrolysate Proteins. Like mentioned above I bought a couple tubs when it was on sale for a much more reasonable price.
If you dont need so much protein at once or in your daily macro count then a 1 scoop serving brings the price well into reasonable range

Side Effects

Nothing to mention
There is that salty after taste which was slightly metallic at times

Conclusion

Its a good Isolate protein. This would not be near the top of my list because of the price and the flavour

February 4, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Zero Carb
  • High Quality Protein
  • No Bloated Feeling
  • Easy-to-drink
  • Versatile
  • Fast Digestion Rate
  • Mineral And Vitamin Profile
  • Can Be Expensive

20 year old male active duty Army. I lift about 5 days a week and have been lifting seriously for about 3 years. I am comparing this product to other proteins I've had including Gold Standard, Animal Whey, Re-Kaged, and a bunch more.

Really nice if you don't want anything but clean protein. There is 1g of fat which is negligible because of the 50g of protein. Inside of this powder is a solid list of vitamins and minerals. The protein itself is "Ion Exchange Whey Protein Isolate". It's a whey isolate with some fancy words.

Contrary to many reviews on this product and its taste, I enjoyed the Dutch Chocolate. 2 scoops mixed with warm water either blended or shaken mix well. It doesn't mix well with milk but 50g of protein in a drink is enough for me. There isn't too much residue or any weird textures just a well-mixed protein shake with a decent taste.

8.5/10
When your diet is carb restrictive this is a great option. It's a pure whey isolate that goes down easy. Post-workout take 2 scoops and you have 50g of protein and no carbs and 1g of fat. Can't hardly beat that.

I bought a 5lb tub of this for $48 from Supplementwarehouse.com when they stocked it. I have checked the prices since and it remains pricey, but you can always find deals on it if you look hard enough.

Side Effects

Conclusion

If you're looking to cut calories or restrict carbs how can you beat the macros on this? It's a simple product profile to give you clean gains. I would recommend this to anyone because it's just pure protein which is going to turn into pure gains.
  • Dutch Chocolate: 7/10

June 30, 2016

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Grams Of Protein Per Serving
  • Zero Carb
  • Terrible Gas
  • Grainy
  • Taste Is Terrible
  • Can Be Expensive

While trying different proteins I figured to give Isopure a try a while back. The one I tried was the LOW CARB version but they're all pretty similar. Oh and by the way, I tried it once and never tried it again.

Ingredient Profile / Dosing

If you use a full serving of two scoops you'll get 50 gram of a mix of Ion Exchange Whey Protein Isolate and Microfiltered Whey Protein Isolate. Not sure why the bag even said low carb because there's literally no carbs in this protein. Along with that there's ONLY .5 grams of fat too. With that said, if you're looking for a protein to take while cutting Isopure is a great choice. With the low to zero carbs and high protein levels, this will allow you to keep the muscle without the carbs or fat. I personally only took 1 scoop after work outs to allow it to last longer but it's completely your choice if you want to take the full 2 scoop serving. With the mix of Whey Isolate, this protein is gluten and lactose free as well.

Taste/Mixability

The flavor I decided to buy was creamy vanilla and I must say, it was a disappointment. There was a clear vanilla taste but it was strangely buttery flavored as well. I reminded me of buttered popcorn so for me, it was tough to drink but if you like that kind of stuff I'd recommend it. But strangely enough, there's no protein taste to it and it's not sweet at all either.

For mixability, I'll say that the it mixed well but the powder itself had gritty, sandiness to it which was weird to me. I can say, I remember it foaming like crazy but once that settles, there's nothing left but "pure" isolate ready to drink... see what I did there? I would also recommend to mix in a smoothie or drink it cold. I can say the one thing I liked most about this protein is that fact that I was able to mix it with a spoon. I forgot my shaker one day at work and decided wth, might as well try to mix it in a cup. Assuming this was going to be clumpy and gross (as most proteins are when they aren't shaken) I proceeded and was pleasantly surprised that not even a clump of protein was attached to my spoon or anywhere else in the cup.

This protein was was effective in the protein department as there being a good amount of protein per serving. If you didn't know Isopure has actually been given to cancer patients to help them absorb and maintain the protein they need during their treatments. I left the article at the bottom of this review. Other than that, personally isopure was a good protein for me after a workout. Other than the amount of protein isopure offers, I don't seem to find this protein any more effective than any other cheaper options.

Like I mentioned, unlike much cheaper options Isopure is definitely on the expensive side of proteins. Just for a 1 pound bag, it can run up to about $30 and if you for some reason fall in love with this stuff, 5 pounds can cost you up to $100. Remember each serving is 2 scoops so if you think about it you're spending about $2 a serving, if not more.

Side Effects

I don't know why but this was the first isolate that gave me serious stomach problems. I don't know what it was but this stuff would run right through me as if I was taking a laxative. No more than 20-30 mins after taking this, my stomach was rumbling and I was running to the bathroom.

Conclusion

All in all, this protein is meh. With the flavor being weird, the price, and the abnormal side effects I can't say I like this protein very much. I don't know if it was just the kind I got. Maybe I need to give it another try, but ISOPURE was only tired once by me and this is how I feel about it. Other than the 50 grams of protein per serving (which you could really do with any protein by taking two scoops) I didn't see many other benefits from isopure. I like the fact hospitals and care centers use the ISOpure bottled drink option for cancer patients but there's definitely better options out there for the guys in the gym. Here is the article I was talking about as well.

• Creamy Vanilla: 5/10

June 28, 2016

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Zero Carb
  • No Bloated Feeling
  • Easy-to-drink
  • Grams Of Protein Per Serving
  • Mineral And Vitamin Profile
  • Can Be Expensive
  • Not Cheap

I started working out with a serious outlook on 4/20/16 after 16+ years of on and off again training and supplementation. This time I invested in a good home gym utilizing free weights instead of the gym membership that was used 3 months out of every year. Over my 16+ years of on again off again training and supplementation, I have researched and tried many products. This product is really good but not cheap.

Vitamin and Mineral profile is better than most proteins that I have come across. One serving will give you 50% of your daily vitamin and mineral values for vitamins A, C, E, K, B6 and B12 plus 50% of your daily mineral intake for multiple minerals. You get 50 grams of protein per 2 scoop serving and very little to no carbs or fat. Sodium content is higher than average.

Taste is hit or miss. My first container I bought was strawberry since I love strawberry flavoring. WRONG!!! The taste was downright awful. Second, I tried the banana which was decent. After a few tubs of banana I tried the mango which was ok, but a tad bitter. I switched to chocolate and................bingo!!!! Home run. The taste is pretty good. This product mixes well but I only use shaker cups so not sure how it would mix using anything else. Dosing is easy enough. I use two solid scoops twice a day. Once at 8AM and then again post workout (9PM) mixed with Glutamine and Creatine. Be careful when using the scooper. It tends to leave an air pocket in the bottom corner of the scooper when scooping out. I did not have these issues with other protein powders, just this brand and it has been every tub so far. Not sure if it is thier scoopers or operator error.

I can tell I am making gains from this product in combination with a high protein diet. I have been able to improve on overload sets and seem to be handling drop sets better. I have used other proteins but did not see the same gains with those products. Recovery seems to be a bit quicker when on this protein.

Not exactly the cheapest. It is a bit pricey and I am not sure why. I have not found a protein with the same mineral and vitamin content as this one (if anyone knows of one please inform me). Mineal and vitamin content could have something to do with it. At $50 a 3 pound tub equals out to 21 servings/2 servings daily=$150 per month for this. Wowwww!!!! I must be crazy.

Side Effects

I did not notice any adverse side effects besides being aggrivated paying as much as I did for the strawberry and having to chug it down twice a day.

Conclusion

With 50g of protein per serving, the mineral and vitamin profile this product contians makes it a good product. The value is not there though. Unless you have extra money and dont mind investing it in this protein, I would suggest passing on it. For what you would pay for this prodcut, you could get a mid-level weight gainer (unless you are in a cut phase) and be better off.

February 8, 2013

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Zero Carb
  • High Quality Protein
  • No Bloated Feeling
  • Versatile
  • Can Be Expensive
  • Taste Is Terrible
  • Watery
I bought this product on sale. I use a number of different protein powders to include: Met-RX Ultamyosyn & ON's Isolates and Casein.

I use the Ultramyosyn for for right after training, the Casein for right before sleeping and the Isopure right before sleeping while in a cut and in my oatmeal.

Isopure was on sale and I wanted a protein to put in my oatmeal in the morning without adding any carbs. I later used it when I started using a GDA before bed, too.

Starting with taste 5-7/10: By itself, in water, this stuff is pretty rough (5). When I took it by itself, I added cinnamon to it. Mixed into my oats, it was fine. It added the favor I was looking for (7) without the additional carbs.

Mixability 9/10: It mixed in water just fine and into my oats well. I added gatorade to my intra-workout drink when I was experimenting with that and it worked nicely too.

Effectiveness 9/10: I don't really ever train to get "bigger" and I am not entirely familiar with if a protein source is helping my strength gains. I take creatine prior to my workouts and I eat well pre and post, so I don't think that this product helped me in that department.

I give it a high score because I lost no muscle or strength while in a cut. It also helped me to hit my macros without having to use too much of it. (@ 130lbs, I get at least 130g of protein a day, only a 1/2 serving of this is needed). I look to preserve muscle during my running season and get something into my system quickly after hockey, so this product was pretty good.

I am going to buy it again if it goes on sale. It suits my needs, though it tastes pretty awful alone.

If I was after deliciousness, I would just eat something tasty, I guess.

January 19, 2013

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Zero Carb
  • Easy-to-drink
  • No Bloated Feeling
  • No Lactose
  • Can Be Expensive
  • Taste Leaves Something To Be Desired
  • Low-quality Protein
Long overdue review on my staple protein. No drawn-out intro here, I'll just hop right in like a redneck in a mud wrestling contest. I'll go in order of importance here.

---------------Ingredient Profile: 7.2------------------

If you really want to know the full ingredient list, Nutraplanet lists it out for you. But here's the gist of it: it's not high quality protein, but it is decent protein with no lactose. Petey stated on Flash's review,
"Ion exchanged whey is a cheap method of processing and denatures the protein to some degree and the price of this product doesn't reflect this."
I'm not gonna act like I knew this already, I had no idea.

It gives you 50g protein with no carbs and no fat per 2 scoops.
It's been fortified with a decent vitamin/mineral profile, but nothing out of the ordinary.
The best part - for those of us who run to the bathroom at the thought of lactose - is that there's no bloating or irate bowel whey syndrome. Yes, I did just make that up.

-------------Effectiveness: 6.9---------------------

As Petey informed us, the ion-exchanged way is as effective as one cop at an Insane Clown Posse festival. But seriously. It is protein nonetheless, but it's been watered down a bit, so to speak.

It's hard to gauge protein's effectiveness based on feel, so I'll base it on the quality of the ingredients. No bro science here, bros.

Regardless, it still gets the job done for me in the lactose-free protein intake category.

----------Taste/Mixability: 3.8 / 8.5-----------------

I've had some fantastic-tasting proteins before. This is not one of them. I've had both vanilla and chocolate. You gotta mix in a homemade gainer shake type drink or with lactose free milk. The mixability is not bad, as is usually the case with whey isolate powders. If taste matters at all and you're not lactose-intolerant, be de-sueded from taking this stuff.

------------Cost/Value: 5.8------------------------

Plain and simple, it's expensive, this stuff doesn't taste good, and it doesn't have high quality isolate like Allmax's Isoflex and others. It's usually around $50-$60 for 3 lbs. which is pretty expensive. I get it for $40 (wholesale), but to honest that's STILL expensive! I'm looking at it from the readers' perspectives and seeing a much lighter wallet than there needs to be. Unfortunately, us lactose-intolerants have little choice.

-----------Product/Company Claims: 10.0------------

They don't give any BS claims on the bottle. They state what it is: no-carb, lactose free, basic whey isolate protein. It's not touted as the next best protein that will gain you 100 lbs. of muscle in 3 weeks. No elaborate, unreasonable claims here. Props to Nature's Best for that, because I'm harsh on companies in the claims category.

----------------Overall: 6.7-----------------------

That rounds up to a 7.0 on my scale but it's not really a 7.0.
I digress; if you're lactose intolerant and can't find a cheaper, higher quality and cost-efficient protein that will take care of your gut, go with this stuff. If you're lucky enough not to fit that category, look elsewhere my friends.

July 28, 2012

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Zero Carb
  • High Quality Protein
  • No Bloated Feeling
  • Versatile
  • Can Be Expensive
  • Taste Leaves Something To Be Desired
  • Not Cheap
Here is a quick review on a product I picked up on my own. I am always trolling GNC's for clearance protein that are good quality because frankly I don't want to spend more than 40 bucks on protein no matter how good it is.

This product contains 50 grams of ion exchange whey protein isolate per serving (two scoops). The only other thing it really has is some flavoring, electrolytes, sodium, potassium, ect. No carbs and no fats to speak of.

---------

Effectiveness(10/10)

--------

I don't think you can find a more pure source of protein than this. Again its ion exchange WPI, no carbs or fillers, no bloat or gas and I will give it a strong 9/10 in mix-ability.

I used this product when I needed extra protein in my diet, but was really trying not to increase my overall calorie intake by too much. That being said, mixing two scoops of this with a carton of eggwhites is a horrible idea. The taste is baneful, but the macros are great at 100g protein, no carbs, no fat.

That being said, I only tried that for a few days before, it was too gross to keep chugging, and while the protein didn't cause gas, the eggwhites made my presence unbearable. From that point on, I mixed this solely with cold water, so it would be great for someone on a low carb/dairy free diet.

It does mix rather quickly and easily, but no matter how much you shake it, it stays a bit grainy while you drink it. Not a huge issue, just pointing it out.

Value(7/10)

------------

I am giving this an average mark for value. It is by no means a cheap protein at around 40 bucks for a 3lb tub, but the quality also has to be taken into effect. You can buy a decent whey isolate for about 50 bucks for a 5lb tub, so while this price/serving isn't as good, it is a very good quality protein and the price isn't too bad, just don't buy it at GNC.

----------

Taste(6/10)

------------

To be fair, I might have tried the worst flavor they had (Alpine Punch). Not because I wanted it, but that's what was on clearance (surprise surprise). That being said, in cold water it was tolerable, but in egg whites it was terrible and I wouldn't even think about adding it to milk.

---------

Overall(9/10)

-----------

If you can find a decent flavor at a decent price or if you could care less about flavor or price, this is one of the highest quality, affordable protein powders on the market. Give it a try if you want, I will try out some other flavors if I find them on sale. This product is ideal for those on CKD/low carb diets, or those trying to stay away from dairy products.

June 23, 2012

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Zero Carb
  • High Quality Protein
  • Easy-to-drink
  • No Bloated Feeling
  • Versatile
  • Fast Digestion Rate
  • Taste Leaves Something To Be Desired
This whey basically cuts out all the garbage and gives you perfect isolate whey.
Per Scoop: 100 calories, .5g fat, 0 carb, no aspartame, no lactose, and an awesome amino profile.
Where this product lacks a little is the taste department. It lacks taste in a very plain way, not necessarily tasting awful. Aside from the lack of taste, this whey is virtually perfect. It is a great whey for those who are looking to cut and not put on any undesired weight. Out of all the whey(s) I have tried, this is probably the best as far as results I was looking for. Although there are some very good hydro whey(s) out there, but hydro whey(s) are much pricier and I found this to be perfect for having a great amount of protein and minimizing all other unneeded substances. What I also like is, although this whey is not cheap, it is not overly expensive. You can usually find a 3lb jug for about $40. This whey also might be my favorite is the results department. After going through 6lbs of this, I saw noticeable results in the mirror and in my performance. Plus, this was also one of the best recovery proteins I have ever had with the rare exception to ON Hydro. Aside from taste, the protein can occasionally get a little grainy, but it is very minor (however I felt it was noteworthy). Everyone has a certain preference to their whey(s) based on the results they are trying to receive. I always look for a whey that has great quality protein, but is low in fat and carbs since I am looking for athletic performance. Although I do not have a clear favorite to a protein whey, I could probably narrow it down to 3: Zero Carb Isopure by Nature's Best, Amazing Whey by BMF Hardcore, and Platinum Hydro Whey by ON. I recommend this whey HIGHLY if you are someone who is looking for high quality whey without excess fat and carbs.

April 17, 2012

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Zero Carb
  • High Quality Protein
  • Easy-to-drink
  • No Bloated Feeling
  • Can Be Expensive
  • Grainy
Well team, this is my first review on SR, so I hope I hit the highlights on all of the right areas.

First off, I've been lifting (on a constant basis) for the better part of 4 years. I'm roughly 190lb, 5'7", ~18%bf. My normal routinue is an 1hr - vigourous cardio plus my lift routinue; 5 days a week. On weekends I do at least an 1hr of cardio per day, plus the joy of chasing after two kids....an adventure in inself..lol.

I've taken a lot of different proteins over that time frame. But I have to admit that Zero Carb Isopure has come to be one of my favorites.

Now for the nitty gritty:

Profile - 10: (2 Scoops per serving) 210 cal, 1 g fat, 5mg Cholesterol, 320 mg Sodium, 750 mg Potassium, 0 g carb, and 50 g whey protein isolate (plus 10.9mg BCAA and 4.6g L-Glutamine). Pound for pound, this is about the most protein per calorie combination that I have been able to find. Plus when you add the fact that you are getting ZERO carbs while achieving that is definitely something to take note of.

Depending on your protein needs and activity level you could easily get away with using just one scoop. I prefer going with the std 2 scoops based on my routinues, plus its about the only way I can manage to squeeze in my daily protein requirements (285 - 360 g per day) that I need.

Mixing/Taste - 9: I have to say that this product is about as easy as you could as for. I normally use the Creamy Vanilla (in my experience if a company can make a good tasting vanilla, then most of their other flavors are usually decent..lol). I like to mix mine in plain water (another test I use, because if it can taste good in water, it can definitely taste decent with anything else). It mixes very easy. Just put it in the shaker, and your ready to go. Taste is very good in water. The only con I have for it is that there is a slight grittyness to it. Nothing that would detract from the taste, but it is noticable.

Effectiveness - 10: I definitely feel that you get what you pay for in this product. If a pure source of Whey protein is what you are looking for (and you are looking for the added carbs, or extra supps) then this is definitely the protein for you.

Value 9: Based on the factors I mentioned earlier (i.e. the protein/calorie ratio, and the fact that you get zero carbs from this), I would have to rank this a 9. The only thing keeping me from going to a straight "10" is the cost. It is comparable to others in this market, roughly around ~$40 for a 3lb tub, or if you hunt you can get 7.5lb tub for about ~$90 from tf supplements. If I could get it about $10-15 cheaper per tub, it would be a "10".

Overall-9: All in all, I can find no real fault in this product, and it definitely serves my need for rapid protein when I need it. The only cons I had were the slight grit (which on occasion isn't always a bad thing in a meal replacement shake..lol) and the price.

February 17, 2012

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Zero Carb
  • High Quality Protein
  • Easy-to-drink
  • No Bloated Feeling
  • Versatile
  • Exotic (in A Good Way) Flavors
  • Occasional Mixing Issues
  • 25 G Protein Per Scoop Instead Of 30 G
Well well well, a long overdue review for this product right here. Zero Carb IsoPure, oh how I love you. I've run through multiple tubs of this is a variety of flavors: Apple Melon, Fruit Punch, and Mango Peach. The thing I love most about this product is it's versatility. Let's get to the specs, shall we?!

Profile: (Per Scoop) 105 cal, .5 g fat, 0 g carb, and 25 g whey protein isolate (including 5.45 BCAA and 2.3 g glutamine). What's not to love? A lot of what you need, nothing you don't. Also, be aware that you really only need one scoop as opposed to the 2 they recommend you use in one sitting. Reason being is you can't really digest all 50 g whey isolate at one time unless your running a cycle of steroids lol.

Usage: Like I said, my love for this product has a lot to do with how many ways you can use it. I threw the Apple Melon in my oatmeal with peanut butter and it tasted like a creamy pb + j. I've mixed the Fruit Punch with Dextrose while bulking and it tasted awesome. I've used all 3 straight up as a part of my breakfast or as a meal replacement while cutting. The list goes on and on.

Value: Like I said earlier, you really should be using 1 scoop at a time. This way you get 44 servings per tub instead of 22. If you can find it at a store for $40 like I can, you're getting your money's worth and then some. This is why I rate value as a 9.

Effectiveness: Only reason I give this an 8 instead of a 9 is because it has 25 g protein instead of 30 g like Hydrowhey. Call me obsessive but I just feel better with the 30 g mark versus the 25 g. I know the range for digestion in one sitting is 20-30 g whey, and I just like to know that I'm getting the full 30. Basically I'm concerned about minutia lol. Anyways, when I take this postworkout, recovery is noticeably improved, and that's what really matters at the end of the day.

Overall: Other than those pesky 5 g protein per serving, the only other "knock" on this product would be the mixability at times. Occasionally it would get a bit clumpy, but nothing about 15 more seconds of shaking wouldn't take care of. This is why I give it a 9. I would recommend this product to anyone, whether you want to switch up your postworkout protein or need a staple protein for any time of the day. I actually prefer this over Gold Standard (slightly) and is second only to Optimum Hydrowhey in my book.