7.1

Ranks #16 (better than 17%)
In: Health & Wellbeing > Other Herbs

Gotu Kola 500 is an Herbal Product manufactured by Nature Restore. It is a naturally occuring substance that is derived from natural elements/plants in nature.

August 1, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Reduced Fatigue
  • Enhanced Focus
  • Cognition Benefits
  • Cheap
  • Natural
  • Takes Some Time To See Benefits
  • Higher Dosage Required For Bigger Individuals

A special thanks to Nature Restore for once again participating in the SR.com TROOPs program. Today, I discuss my experience with their herbal product Gotu Kola. Gotu Kola is an interesting herb studied to have several benefits that aid both the mind and body. Whenever I take herbal supplements, I always do a little research on them if I am unfamiliar with their precise effects. Gotu Kola is something I never supplemented with before, but I was interested in trying it after researching its cognitive and healing enhancement properties.

As one would've have guessed, this product has one ingredients:

Each capsule contains 500mg of Gotu Kola, standardized at 10% of active compounds called Triterpenes. Triterpenes are the chemical compounds found in several known medicinal plants and are often the compounds responsible for the plant's benefits. These compounds are known for have anti-inflammatory, regenerative, immune enhancement, and neuroprotective properties.

In the case of Gotu Kola, its most well studied benefits relate to its cognitive enhancing properties. It is said to have a calming and protective effect on neuron cells in the brain. In addition, the anti-inflammatory properties can help soothe both mental and physical fatigue.

Gotu kola is also known for its ability to speed up wound healing. It supposedly is able to do this by inhibiting the enzymes responsible for the breakdown of collagen, while stimulating it's production.

Lastly, Gotu Kola has been suggested to have immunity enhancement and blood circulation improvement properties as well.

After doing some additional research I found that the dosage of Gotu Kola can range from anywhere to 500mg-4,000mg daily. Seems like quite a lot, but as it is always recommended, start with the lowest dosage first.

For me, I decided the best course of dosage for the benefits was to take two capsules daily with food, totaling 1,000mg daily for me. Typically, that may seem like an under-dosing, but I would guess the exceptionally high dosages would be recommended for those more susceptible to cognitive decline and discrepancies in wound recovery such as the elderly or the immunocompromised. Furthermore, I would guess that those higher dosages would result in more immediate results, but that's just a theory.

If you follow a lower dosing protocol like myself, you'll want to be patient with this product as the benefits could take about two weeks to notice.

Within two weeks, I did experience an improvement mainly in my focus, similar to when I am on a nootropic. My workouts were less distracted an I had a more sharpened mindset towards each weight lifting objective. I was also less stressed out even during extended work hours and unexpected inconveniences that would occur. Therefore, I can say the calming benefits were also there. I was also sleeping a bit better too.

As for wound healing and anti-inflammatory properties, i did notice I was recovering somewhat better since I had moderately less fatigue and reduced DOMS. Though, it paled in comparison to a primary post workout or recovery product. I couldn't really assess the wound regeneration properties since I didn't have any pre-existing significant wounds. I did have some scratches and a few knicks here and there that did seem to heal an become less visible a bit quicker, so I can say it did in fact show some benefit here.

I never got sick, ill, or had any bogged down sort of feelings while on Gotu Kola so the immunity enhancement benefits were prominent for the most part.

At 12.95 a bottle, Gotu Kola is pretty cheap, and a good investment to experiment in if you'd like to gain cognitive enhancement benefits as well as a few select other benefits in a more natural way. If you do dose in the more higher range, it could become a tad pricey in the long run depending on how much you need. Other than that, though, an inexpensive and effective product to give a try.

Side Effects

Conclusion

As I mentioned, like all herbal supplements, this product has its potential benefits and individual results will vary. Once you find your sweet spot dosage, Gotu Kola will help to improve focus, recovery, and immune system properties. Be sure you do some experimenting with the dosing, start with the lowest dosage, and be patient as it may take some time to see benefits.

WARMACHINE OUT!!!

GO RED SOX!!!

Other Prices:
Nature Restore   $14.95

6.8
  July 22, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Reduced Fatigue
  • Increased Vascularity
  • Inexpensive
  • Natural

What's up SR- Today we're going to be taking a look at Nature Restore's Gotu Kola 500. This is basically one of those ancient Asian remedies, and it's supposed to help with a host of ailments including poor circulation, low energy, and depression/anxiety. How does it stack up when added to the diet of a westerner? Let's see...

Nature Restore is doing things a bit differently than others in the supplement industry. They're mainly focusing on 1 ingredient, natural herbs and powders, delivered in capsules. With that, this is just straight up Gotu Kola with 90, 500mg capsules.

No taste- No mixing.

Slight grassy aftertaste.

3 pills daily. I took them in the morning with food.

I noticed this working most in two areas: circulation and energy. There was nothing profoundly noticeable at any time, but rather it was a slowly building cumulative effect that became apparent more towards the end of the bottle.

The first thing I noticed was the vascularity increase. Instead of this coming in waves when I had just worked out or eaten carbs, I was more vascular at all times. When I did take something to compound the vascularity it became much more effective. Since finishing the bottle I've seen a visible decrease in surface veins while at rest.

The second thing I noticed was the energy. This was most apparent when my alarm would go off. About 20 days in I stopped hitting snooze, ever. I'd wake up at 5am no problem on 5-6 hours sleep most nights. It wasn't as though I didn't have any cobwebs to shake off, but I didn't have trouble lifting my head off the pillow and sitting up (always the hardest part). Throughout the day I wouldn't take notice of it either, but in hindsight I had to take in less caffeine throughout the day, and the afternoons didn't bring on quite as much of a crash after lunch. It would have been nice to have kept this going with a second or third bottle, but I did let myself run out.

I didn't notice any major changes in mood or behavior. But I'm pretty easy going in general and don't have much in the way of anxiety or depressed thoughts normally. However, in the winter I do, so I might pick up another bottle then to see how it combats those.

This stuff is cheap! Right now on Amazon you can buy it for $12.95. That's for 90 pills or 30 servings-- That's less than $0.45/serving! It's not a game changer by any means, but if you're an early riser and struggle with it at times, it's worth the cost of admission.

Side Effects

None at all.

Conclusion

Altogether this isn't the most exciting supplement in the world, but it did seem to work. To clarify what I mean by that... I really needed to stop taking it to notice the effects, as opposed to them being immediately apparent. There's nothing wrong with that, but I do think it's important to understand that this is something that simply builds up over time. At the price point this is selling for, I think it's a great option for someone that wants a little more energy throughout the day without relying on stimulants and the ups and downs that go along with them. Thank you NR for letting me test this stuff out and for being such stalwart contributors to SR. I really like this brand and think big things could be in store for them.

Other Prices:
Nature Restore   $14.95

May 12, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Reduced Fatigue

Always looking for something that can help with a little pick me up as I get older. As a father of 2 young kids, I don't feel that I have the energy to keep up with them so I'm looking for whatever I can find to help fight fatigue, improve my mood and keep energy levels elevated so I don't feel like I'm always telling my kids no when they want to do something. When Nature Restore posted a slew of their products for the TROOPERs, I saw Gotu and it peaked my interest as it is supposed to help with fatigue so I picked it up.

One ingredient - Gotu Kola, 500mg (Centella Asiatic, 10% triterpenes). From what Nature Restore posted about Gotu - research on gotu kola suggests that when consumed regularly one may experience a reduction in fatigue, anxiety, and depression. Furthermore, it may also improve memory and intelligence. As shown it may support mood, anxiety and fatigue as an incredible adaptogen and may induce collagen synthesis for youthful and elastic skin.

I picked this up mainly for the fatigue and anxiety aspects but reading up on this on Examine.com it seems to be best for cognitive enhancing however it takes a few weeks to kick in and unfortunately, I do not think one bottle was enough to achieve these benefits especially at the suggested doses.

Directions per posting on the TROOPer dashboard - 500mg per capsule, 90 capsules per bottle (1 month supply)

Directions per the bottle - Take one (1) capsule daily with a meal

Which one is it? I sent the rep a note but that went unanswered which ticked me off. If you are going to post products, then be involved until the review is up. Not responding could lead to under dosing and ineffective products which could end in a bad review. Sorry for the side rant but this is not the first time this has happened and it chaps my hide.

To answer the question - NEITHER dosing was effective for me. After checking this out on Examine, dosing for someone my size is anywhere from 2,900mg - 5,500 mg daily for cognitive enhancing effects. It does not that 500mg - 750mg twice daily should help with anxiety and enhanced mood but I did not see any effects at these dosages which I will further detail below.

I can say that I did enjoy this product once I found the proper dosage. After not getting a response from the rep and doing some minor research online, I started off with 3 pills (1,500mg) daily. I did this as when I did the minor research some websites noted liver toxicity at or above these levels. I then turned to Examine which did not note any clear studies that showed toxicity so after running Gotu at 3 pills a day for 2 weeks and not noticing anything I upped the dosage to 6 pills (3,000mg) a day spread throughout the day.

This is where I really started to notice this product working where I wanted it to. I noticed that my afternoons did not drag as much and I was not getting up for the afternoon cup of coffee. It did not make a huge difference in the way I felt but it was enough that I could through my afternoon without the coffee. I can't say that I noticed much of the other supposed effects (reduced anxiety, cognitive enhancement) from this product. They could have been there or it might be that I just needed a longer run of the product for it to really kick in and shine.

Looks like you can pick this up through Amazon for $12.95 for a 90 count supply or through Nature Restore's website fro $14.95 for a 90 count supply. This is a good value IF you can get the effects of the product at 1-3 pills a day. However, if you have to up the dose to 3,000mg a day then you are getting a 15-day supply. While this does not greatly devalue this product, it does make it a $1.00 a day per serving and I do not feel for the slight effects that I felt that it would be worth it. I think there are better products out there that you can get for a $1.00 a day in which your money would be better spent.

Side Effects

Conclusion

I think this is a good general health product that if properly dosed could provide some benefits. I would be interested to see how I would respond over a 2-3 month period using it but feel my money is better spent on other products that I know work and will provide benefits right away.