7.1

(Better than 15% in Pre-Workout > Pump)

UP-BEET is a Pump Product manufactured by Natural Powered Products. It is meant to increase blood flow, muscle pumps and increase vascularity. It can be stacked with a stimulant based pre-workout for an added stimulant effect. This promotes an environment for increased muscle mass and fat loss.

Overall
Overall
Thanks to Natural Powered Products for sending it out!
  December 19, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Organic
  • Vegan
  • Underdosed

I am shifting towards a more plant based diet in the new year and this was a supplement that fit into what I am trying to accomplish. I figured I would give it a try and see how it worked for me.

Originally, this caught my eye because it was all organic and it is vegan. Up-beet contains four ingredients that are fairly common in natural energy drinks and supplements. Up-beet contains an open label, but you can see it is under-dosed. The first ingredient is beet root dosed at 200 mg. Examine.com mentions that for a 150 pound person, he or she would need to consume 400+ mg of nitrates from the beets to be effective. I weighed 205 pounds during my run of this, so I would need to have even more than that. The next ingredient is 200 mg of green coffee, which supplies 180 mg of caffeine. That is an okay dosage, but many of us who workout use more than that. Third ingredient is panax ginseng at 150 mg which can help with mood, immunity, and cognition. It is recommended to be taken at a 200-400 mg dose, with the 400 mg dose appearing to be most effective for cognition. Final ingredient is rhodiola rosea at 100 mg which helps fight fatigue and stress. Acute dosing is said to be effective at 280-680 mg. I like the ingredients, just wish most of them were doubled (besides caffeine).

Taste/Mixability: NA-capsule.

Dosing: Recommended to take one capsule at least 30 minutes prior to activity and that more than two capsules should not be taken within 24 hours.

I tried this initially at one pill as a standalone to gauge effectiveness. I received a slight boost of energy from the caffeine, but other than that not much else. My workout ended up being lackluster and short. I did not notice any focus or additional pump from Up-beet. For my next workout and for a majority of the remaining bottle, I added a capsule with a stimulant based pre-workout. I noticed a bit more energy (obviously) and a bit better pump. I have used and liked beet root in the past, but that normally came with dosages of 500 mg or so. The pump is a dry, vascular pump which I prefer. I still did not notice much of an increase in endurance, strength, or focus. Finally for my last couple workouts, I took two capsules without a pre-workout and this ended up working a little better. I still would not say that it was fantastic, even at double the dosage.

This is selling for just under $24 on their website. It was the only place where I saw it. I could not even find it on Amazon. To have it shipped to me, it costs an additional $3.50, bringing the total to just under $27.50. There are 30 capsules in here and including shipping costs, that brings each capsule to about $0.92. That is expensive for four under-dosed ingredients and if you want to double it to get near the effective dosages of each, you are looking at over $1.80 per workout.

Side Effects

Conclusion

I am all for the organic, vegan supplements, but I am not a fan of under-dosing them. Some companies claim that their ingredients work "synergistically," but I do not think this is the case here (or usually ever). I cannot recommend this product because I do not think the price is worth the under-dosed ingredients and lack of effectiveness I received from it. If they doubled up the three ingredients other than caffeine and kept the price similar, it would be more of an appealing product.