Naked Whey Reviews

By: Naked Nutrition

Protein > Whey Protein
Naked Whey is a Whey Protein Powder manufactured by Naked Nutrition. It is a dairy based protein that supports lean muscle gain by suppling additional protein to recovering muscles, which can also improve fat loss.

November 21, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Absent Of Dyes Preservatives And Sweeteners
  • Cleanest Ingredient Profile Possible
  • GMO Free
  • Soy Free
  • Grass Fed Whey
  • No Taste
  • Priced Like An Isolate

I have seen a bunch of ads about Naked on Facebook over the past year or so, so I was really excited to see that they came on SR. This type of protein is exactly what I am looking for: no dyes, artificial sweeteners/flavors, soy free, grass-fed.

As stated above, Naked whey contains no artificial dyes, flavors, sweeteners, is GMO and soy free, and is sourced from cows that are 100% grass fed. Being 100% grass fed is important because I have read that as long as cows have some access to grass, they can technically be considered "grass fed" and a majority of their diet still comes from GMO corn and soy. Why do you want to choose products from cows that are grass fed? They contain higher amounts of omega 3 fats, more CLA, less saturated fats, and IMO taste way better. In addition, cows are also not meant to even consume corn or soy, so it is bad for their health (which is then passed on to whoever consumes it) and worse for the environment. Cows on these industrial sized farms are actually one of the worst things for our environment and lead to a huge production of greenhouse gasses. Enough for my little rant, back to the protein.

The macros on this protein powder are 2 g of fat, 3 g of carbs (2 g being sugar) and 25 g of whey protein concentrate. According to the amino profile they have listed on the label, you get almost 6 g of BCAAs per serving.

Taste: This is kind of a NA because it does not contain any flavorings. It does kind of have a milk-like taste to it. I never used this in anything but my smoothies though. There is also a "less naked whey" that contains their flavored proteins which are flavored with coconut sugar and organic flavorings. If you do not know about coconut sugar, you should look into that as well. Coconut sugar smells and tastes pretty similar to brown sugar, but it is low glycemic and contains micronutrients as well. It is the only sugar I use at home.

Mixability: Also NA for me since like I said, I used it solely in smoothies. I agree with Wade though, it is a stickier powder than most other proteins I have used in the past.

Dosing: As with any protein you can consume this whenever as needed. A serving size is two scoops however, so that is a bit annoying.

I am currently trying to cut a bunch of weight. I have decided that I do not want to train for strength and size anymore as I constantly feel sore, run down, and my joints ache. I am planning to try to get down to 185 or less from 210 pounds by the beginning of the summer, so I really have been trying to consume a bit more protein than normal to not lose so much muscle. This has lead to a lot of protein smoothies with greens and fruits because I have also considerably cut down on my meat consumption over the past few months. Naked whey performed just as well as other proteins I have used in the past; it allowed me to recover from workouts and has a great amino profile. I used it whenever I was a bit hungry, so this helped satisfy any cravings I had.

This is where it could be a bit of a turn off to the average consumer. It sells for about $90 for a five pound container with 76 servings. That is $18 per pound or about $1.18 per serving. This would put it among whey isolate pricing, but it is a high quality source and I would be willing to purchase it in the future.

Side Effects

Conclusion

This is one of the cleanest ingredient profiles you will come across in the industry. If you are interested in clean ingredients and nothing artificial, then Naked Whey is a great choice. If you want cheap protein sources with a bunch of artificial ingredients and fillers, then you will not like the price of this protein. Thank you Naked Nutrition for sending this out.

October 30, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Absent Of Dyes Preservatives And Sweeteners
  • Cleanest Ingredient Profile Possible
  • One Of The Best Choices For Its Niche Category
  • Good For Baking
  • No Taste
  • Too Expensive For A Whey Concentrate
  • Clumpy

Hey SR, here today to do a review for Naked Whey, an all natural whey protein from Naked Nutrition. Protein has always been a staple of mine ever since I started lifting, but especially so as I continue to try to cut and lean out. Keeping the protein levels high without the added calories, carbs, fat, etc from whole food is key in preserving muscle mass while losing fat. Recently, there have been several companies out there busted for amino spiking and filling their proteins with a lot of fillers and generally unneeded ingredients. This caught my eye as a very clean protein so I wanted to give it a shot. This protein definitely comes with a lot of pluses and minuses so let's get into the review.

The basic macros of this protein are: 120 calories, 2 g fat (.5 sat), 3 g carbs (2 sugar), 25 g protein all coming from whey protein concentrate. These are greta macros that just about everyone can fit into their diets, including mine which is very strict. Personally, I like protein blends with some whey/casein for some extended release of amino acids. I'm ok with just having the concentrate though as they ultra quick absorption of hydrolysate and isolate makes the value not worth the benefit for me. If you're meeting your intended macros and training right every day then the results should be pretty close to what you want no matter what type of protein you're getting, so I'm ok with the value of concentrate. What Naked Whey does go all in for is for it to be all natural and organic. There are no artificial flavors, colors, etc. The whey is non denatured, cold processed, and only used whey from grass fed cows in California. I think this definitely has its pros and cons. Being all natural and organic is great, as I am someone who takes a lot of supplements and all the additives do add up. The cons would be this surely drives up the price, and could definitely hinder the taste which is something that proteins need to be good at it since it is supplementing food. For someone looking for the all natural route, this is a great product. For the average user, there may be concerns.

Mixability was below average for a shake. I would use a shaker bottle and if I didn't shake well enough or long enough it would get a little clumpy and and look almost like cottage cheese. I would shake a little longer and it would be alright, just know it takes a little extra than other proteins. Dosing is whenever you need protein to fit your macros. I used this in a variety of ways. I used this for baking mostly, as a standalone, and to make my own protein blends. I have to say that it is best used for baking and blends, as the taste with no sweeteners etc is very bland. I always use water in my protein shakes, and with this product it's a pretty much no go. You'll need something else for flavor whether it be milk, almond milk, another protein etc. So if you're buying this as standalone whey product for shakes, buyer beware you're going to need something else to help the flavor.

This will be a little tricky to judge here. So, was it effectively as a protein and getting protein in my diet easily? Absolutely. The profile is great, comes with the bonus of being all natural, and delivers quite a bit of protein per scoop. The negatives? You can't use it as a standalone as the flavor is really lacking. Of course, that's what they wanted at the same time as to deliver a protein product free from a bunch of extras. So my solution was to use this in a variety of ways. Yes, sometimes I used as a standalone after my workouts which wasn't that pleasant. I also used this however at night time with a casein product (Dymatize) to make my own blends which I prefer anyways. Also, because of the lack of flavor, this is a great way to pack some protein into some baked goods without ruining the flavor of the treat. I definitely used this protein quite a bit for some cheat day baked goods. So as mentioned, this protein has a lot of pros and cons. The lack of flavor is both a pro for versatility, but a con for a standalone. I don't think this protein is made or marketed for the general mass market, you're going to have to be more of a niche user looking for all natural products to want to use a on a daily basis.

Since all of us have probably walked through the organic/all natural grocery store or aisle, you know it's expensive. This is $90 for 76 servings. At this price point it is above average for a whey concentrate, but because of the direction of the product being all natural I don't think ridiculously so. A niche user in the market looking for a natural product would buy this at a fair deal.

Side Effects

No digestion issues at all.

Conclusion

Is this product for everyone? No. This product is for someone looking to go the all natural route. It does provide a good way to make some blends and help in the baking area, but also carries the burden of a lack of flavor that won't satiate the mass population.

6.2
  October 1, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Cleanest Ingredient Profile Possible
  • Absent Of Dyes Preservatives And Sweeteners
  • One Of The Best Choices For Its Niche Category
  • Too Expensive For A Whey Concentrate
  • Extremely Sticky And Messy
  • Bubbles Up Alot

Naked Nutrition has recently been taking the supplement industry by storm by introducing their products that consist of the highest quality ingredients, keeping things extremely straightforward with literally the most minimal amount of frills. Thankfully I was able to hop on the opportunity to test out their Naked Whey product and compare it to the hundreds of other whey protein products in the category. Quick thanks to Naked Nutrition for giving me the chance to try it out! Now lets see how Naked Nutrition's approach compares to the competition!

Naked Nutrition notes right on the front product label that they have nothing to hide and to be honest it's because there's literally nothing to hide! Ingredients consist purely of ONLY whey protein concentrate from grass-fed cows with a nice amino acid profile list letting you know the amounts to the milligram so you know exactly what you're taking in, even though it may be a bit overkill. This truly is whey protein in its purest form though.

Calories: 120
Total Fat: 2g
Saturated Fat: 0.5g
Total Carbohydrates: 3g
Sugars: 2g
Protein: 25g

It's a very clean ingredient profile but mainly because it's flavorless and due to that absence of flavor, manufacturers didn't have to worry about added artificial sweeteners, creamers, etc! It really is probably the best choice for any people that are paranoid about preservatives, dyes, and other random things that are added to typical supplement products cause Naked Whey is literally that....straight up naked.

Well obviously I can't really rate the taste since it's unflavored but it does have that creamy texture that we've come to realize with nearly all whey protein supplements. Concerning the mixability though is where this product really gets its checkmarks. I have never used a product that was quite as messy as Naked Whey....ever! This protein is sticky as hell which makes it difficulty to get uniform scoops and leads to insane amounts of crumble events when moving the scooper, but unfortunately this isn't really the type of product that you can easily wipe off or blow away... it smears like mad too! You don't wanna get this stuff on your clothes, it doesn't stain but it can be a hassle to rub out your clothes for a solid 20 seconds to diffuse out the whey from fabric. Even after you finally manage to pour the correct dosage into the shaker bottle and give it a good couple shakes you will be greeted by an insane amount of bubbles. I'm not even exaggerating cause it really is insane and takes at least 30-45 seconds to settle just enough to actually start drinking it and due to its crazy stickiness it has a very high tendency to stick clumps to the lid! It's dosed with 2 scoops of a smaller scooper than I'm accustomed to for whey which is actually a bad thing cause getting an accurate dose with 2 scoops isn't a simple task with this product. I may sounds a little overly anal about my peeves with Naked Whey's mixability but it really is that poor and I've never used a product that's mixability effected my overall impression as much as this one did. All things said and done, once you finally get it shaken and the bubbles settle, it's your typical protein product......without much flavor.

I typically used Naked Whey post-workout because I was honestly impressed with the source of the product and its extremely clean ingredient profile so I figured that my body could really optimize muscle recovery and synthesis while using a high-grade product like this after hitting my tough sessions at the gym. It's hard to really assess the effectiveness of the product itself due to the slow process of muscle hypertrophy but looking at the ingredient profile and learning about the product itself, I can easily say that Naked Whey is about as good as they come concerning product effectiveness and muscle recovery for any whey concentrate product on the market.

I scoured the internet for the best price for Naked Whey and found it on Amazon for $85, which pits us at a whooping $17/lb of whey protein! Now at those prices I would hope that any protein product I use would have to be an whey isolate but unfortunately Naked Nutrition utilizes a concentrate, but on second thought I can't think of many other companies that go to these lengths to create a high-quality, grass-fed, clean, and simple protein product so they definitely deserve points for almost being in a niche category of their own.

Side Effects

I personally experienced no adverse symptoms from using Naked Whey.

Conclusion

If you were ever paranoid about all the additives and random ingredients that are added to supplement nowadays, your prayers have been answered by a little company called Naked Nutrition! Naked Whey is truly a bare bones protein product that does its best to give their customers what they want and only what they want. It's pretty nice to see such a pure protein product but I personally don't mind using a regular protein product with a bunch of extra stuff I can't even pronounce to make it taste and mix better, but I KNOW that there is a fairly large niche market for these type of products. If you can deal with the insane stickiness and fairly high price point in exchange for an extremely pure whey protein product then by all means give Naked Whey a try, otherwise I'd say to stick with whey protein products of the non-Naked variety and save yourself a couple of bucks. Cheers Fellas!