Naked Pea Reviews

By: Naked Nutrition

Naked Pea is a Plant Protein Powder manufactured by Naked Nutrition. It is a common vegan-alternative to dairy and other animal based proteins. It supports lean muscle gain by supplying protein to recovering muscles and can enhance fat loss.

9.2
  December 1, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • All Natural
  • GMO And Dairy Free
  • Soy And Gluten Free
  • Super Quality
  • Two Scoop Serving

This is my second product from Naked Nutrition and I have been really impressed with their quality of proteins. They provide clean powders and a very clean, informative label that shows the amino acid profiles of the powder. As I head into the new year planning to really reduce my whey consumption, I am looking for more vegan sources of protein and I really enjoyed this one.

The lone ingredient in here is yellow pea protein. No sweeteners, flavors, dyes, or even emulsifiers. That is really impressive to me. Even on other brands of protein if you choose to go the unflavored route, there are usually emulsifiers (soy lecithin) or thickening agents (xanthan gum, carrageenan, etc) that I really do not want to consume if possible. From a macro standpoint, this is better than their whey in all three and still contains the same amount of calories. There is 0.5 g of fat (compared to 2g from the whey), 2 g of carbs (compared to 3 g), and 27 g of protein (compared to 25 g). It also contains no saturated fat, no cholesterol, and more electrolytes than the whey. Naked Pea protein contains all nine essential amino acids and the amounts of them are comparable to the whey amino acid profile.

Taste: Pretty much an NA because I strictly used this in smoothies. It does have an earthier taste to it than their whey, but if you use enough ingredients in the smoothie, you should not detect it much.

Mixability: Again also an NA. It is thicker, so I noticed that I had to use more liquid.

Dosing: Use whenever needed. Serving size is two scoops.

I noticed zero difference between using this and a whey protein from a recovery standpoint. I was not affected digestion wise as this digested fine with me. I noticed that this helped keep me more full longer I guess because it was a thicker protein and also maybe because it contained more protein per scoop. Since I have been trying to lose weight, I have been consuming more protein smoothies with fruits and vegetables and adding Naked Pea really helped in that regard. I mean the clean up with the blender is annoying, but it is not that big of a deal. Thanksgiving set me back a bit with the weight loss, but I am still on pace to hit 200 pounds by the end of December without losing much strength.

This is a much better price than their Naked Whey, beating it by almost $40 with the same servings. For a five pound jug, you can get it for $55. That is $11 per pound or about $0.72 a serving. That is almost $0.50 less per serving than the whey. This is even cheaper than many top brands' whey proteins including NutraBio.

Side Effects

Conclusion

I know I am probably considered a hippie, but I do not know why you would not consider supplementing with a pea protein, at least occasionally. You are saving animals and helping the environment at the same time. Yeah, I am sure this does not taste the best on its own, and even flavored pea proteins are chalky, but you can add ingredients to it to make it tolerable. This is a very competitive price for a five pound jug of protein, with a comparable amino acid profile to whey. You are also getting more protein per serving than just about any other whey protein powder I have seen. Thank you Naked for the chance to try it out; I think I have found my new source of protein powder.

November 25, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • All Natural
  • Makes A Healthy Additive To Whey
  • GMO And Dairy Free
  • Soy And Gluten Free
  • Different Tub Size Options

When choosing a protein powder I generally stick to whey protein isolates (WPI) or protein blends that favor WPI. I never really thought about trying a plant based protein as an alternative. So, when Naked Nutrition put up their Naked Pea protein I wanted to give it a try. I have used their peanut powder in the past and really enjoyed it. Let us see how their Chocolate Less Naked Pea reviews.

Less Naked Chocolate Pea comes in a 60 serving tub with each serving consisting of two scoops. Each two scoop serving contains 160 calories, 4g of fat (1g saturated), 8g carbohydrates (2g fiber and 5g sugars) and 25g of protein. The best part about this protein is the simple ingredient list, which contains three ingredients. The first is pea protein, which if you haven't guessed it by now is from peas. Pea protein is rich in essential amino acids (EAA) and branched chain amino acids (BCAA). In addition, pea protein will also digest slower than traditional whey protein (I noticed this). The main drawback of pea protein that I could find was that the EAA methionine was lower than traditional whey protein. For example, Naked Pea has 301 mg while a whey protein isolate I have has 504 mg. I really don't see this as an issue since you can get methionine from other sources. The next ingredient is organic coconut sugar. The major thing that I found was that coconut sugar is sometimes used as an alternative to regular sugar. It also contains more bionutrients that regular sugar and contains inulin, which aid in creating good gut bacteria. The last ingredient is cacao powder. The major aspect of cacao is that it is full of antioxidants and a lot of people treat it like a "superfood."

Overall, I really like the ingredient profile especially since there are only three ingredients. I think if you are looking for a simple but effective plant based protein Less Naked Peas ingredient profile is quite good.

Before I even touch on the taste this is a plant based protein with three ingredients. Therefore, if someone were to buy this they should be realistic on the taste. Look, this isn't some delicious gourmet artisanal pea that showers down on you from the flavor heavens. It is pea protein with three ingredients that tastes okay for what it is. However, the main draw to this is how versatile it can be. I made shakes with fruit, added in some almond milk and embraced my inner hipster and added some free range organic kosher hypoallergenic gluten free invisible interdimensional kale and it tasted quite good. When you first mix the pea it is quite thick and has an earthy aroma. As previously stated, the pea tastes pretty good but it lacks sweetness, which is to be expected for what is in it. I enjoyed the taste of this product but I didn't get much chocolate from it. In terms of mixability, it mixes quite thick and I ended up using quite a bit of water. It also had a an almost grit to it when drinking, which I have had in the past with other plant based proteins. I also noticed that if I put the powder in my bottle before the water a lot of it would get stuck in the corners of the bottle. As far as dosing goes I took this to fill my protein macros so it varied by day.

I found Less Naked Pea protein to be quite effective as a meal replacement and dairy protein alternative. One major thing I noticed is how long the pea stayed in my stomach after drinking it as a meal replacement. This was quite good because I noticed with my usual whey protein isolate I would be hungry shortly after but with Naked Pea I was not. This was great especially before the gym where I would drink my pea protein about an hour before and it gave me a pretty good stream of energy. I did attempt to use this between the gym and running but I felt like it sat too heavily in my stomach so I prefered whey for those days.

As far as performance goes, I noticed that I felt like I recovered a little better when taking Naked Pea. It was nothing huge but definitely noticeable especially for high intensity days. I felt like this product gave me some additional energy. I had more energy and just felt better overall when taking this product around my workouts. I think a lot of it comes down to me having some issues with dairy based proteins. It is odd, not all give me issues but sometimes I think some of the additives in whey proteins even isolates give me issues. However, with Naked Pea I had absolutely no stomach issues other than it digesting somewhat slower. This was not really an issue and honestly just adds to the versatile nature of this protein product.

Overall, this is a solid plant based protein powder that I feel works just as well as dairy based products. I did not notice any dips in recovery, energy, size or strength when taking Naked Pea. So, this definitely is a product I will sub in on occasion to mix up my traditional dairy shakes with some pea protein.

Less Naked Pea is currently going for $54.99 on Amazon making it $0.91 per serving. I will be honest the price on this in my eyes is quite good. Especially since a lot of plant based protein powders are overpriced. For example, Dr. Leaky Gut, I mean, Dr. Axe has a plant based protein that goes for $1.79 per serving. PEScience has a Vegan protein that currently goes for $1.11 per serving. Vega Sport has one that currently retails for a whopping $2.32 or $1.84 if you buy the larger tub. Bottom line, if you are looking for a plant based protein I would definitely start with Less Naked Pea as the price is quite good and it is versatile. I will note that I do wish they had smaller tubs like a 30 serving tub so I could try the different lines. It is a lot to commit to a 60 serving tub especially for a product like this that the flavor could go either way.

Side Effects

I had no side effects while taking this product.

Conclusion

Less Naked Pea protein is a versatile and effective plant based protein product. It has great value and was quite good as a meal replacement. I felt like the taste was what I expected but it made a great base for smoothies. Overall, if you are looking for a plant based protein Naked Pea is definitely worth a try. Thank you to Naked Nutrition for sending out the product.

-Xcmiler
  • Chocolate: 7/10

October 15, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • All Natural
  • Super Quality
  • Improved Recovery
  • Makes A Healthy Additive To Whey
  • Somewhat Expensive

A special thanks to Naked Nutrition for their participation here on SR.com. Today, I discuss their plant based protein supplement Naked Pea. I am no way a vegan or vegetarian and I mostly stick to good ol fashion whey protein. However, truthfully plant based proteins have their advantages in both nutrient content and health benefits. I steer clear of soy as it doesn't agree with me too well. Rather, should I opt for a plant based protein I prefer pea, rice, or hemp. When I do, I usually use them as additives to shakes and will use them solo at times if I can find them at a good value and flavor.

Each 2 scoop serving provides 27g of pure pea protein. In addition, each serving naturally yields 2g of sugar, 2g of carbs, and 120 calories. Lasltly, each serving provides 5.7g of BCAAs.

Pea protein has some unique benefits to one's health that make it an ideal protein source to include in any healthy diet. Pea protein can promote both heart and kidney health, has high quantities of both essential and nonessential amino acids, can help regulate blood sugar, and can aid in weight loss through ghrelin regulation. Of course, like any other protein, it can also help improve muscle recovery.

Naked Pea Protein contains no artificial colors, dyes, flavors, sweeteners, GMO-based ingredients, or additives of any kind.

I received the unflavored version so I could use it as an additive to my usual whey containing shakes and occasionally some foods. It added a slight nutty, but overall pleasant taste to whatever I added it to. Rarely did I use it straight up and when I did, it wasn't the best tasting so i stuck to using it as an additive.

It mixed very well in whatever I added it to without any additional clumps or globs.

Like all protein products, the dosing depends on your protein needs. I used two 2-scoop servings daily. Once in the morning with a whey protein shake, and another sometime in the later afternoon either with another shake such as my post workout shake, or another preparation.

Like traditional whey protein supplements, as well as other protein supplements I've used in general, Naked Pea Protein helped significantly with my muscle recovery and also helped stave off hunger pangs.

With the extra macro intake as well as BCAAs and nutrient supplementation it provided, I noticed I was recovering more efficiently. I had less overall soreness and fatigue throughout the days and post workout as well. I found that I was less lethargic in the mornings following heavy training sessions, even if I did not get adequate sleep hours. That was especially helpful given my new work hours.

Even though I am not currently trying to lose weight, I enjoyed how Naked Pea Protein helped keep my hunger at bay. It did not kill or reduce my appetite to the point where I didn't want to eat. Rather, it helped keep those spontaneous cravings I often get throughout the days from occurring. This is important not only for weight management, but also because it helps reduce the likelihood of of snacking between meals. Even with a protein bar, I usually try not to snack often because it can throw off my meal plan quotas.

As mentioned in the title, Naked Pea Protein is not cheap. The cheapest price I found for a 5 lbs tub is 52.24. That is a bit of a steep price tag, though plant based proteins do generally run higher. Furthermore, you get 76 servings in each tub, allowing it to last quite a while even if your a frequent user. Overall, not a bad value considering how much you get in a tub and the superb natural quality of the product. As always, look out for sales.

Side Effects

Conclusion

If you need to switch to the plant based route of proteins or simply need a healthy addition to your macro supplementation regimen, Naked Pea Protein is a product to look into. It's all natural, no artificial "stuff" quality and efficiency in helping meet macro and nutrient goals makes it a superb choice among plant based protein supplements and protein supplements in general. Due to the high price, be sure to keep a lookout for good deals and sales.

WARMACHINE OUT!!!