Overall Score:   How is this Calculated?

6.9

Ranks #30 of 32 (better than 6%) in
Energy Supplements > Other Energy Supplements

Protein Bites is an Energy Supplement manufactured by MyProtein. It is designed to improve mental focus and energy.
COMPARE SIMILAR

Wis3guy
TROOPer Level: 50
  August 27, 2015

----Introduction----
So here we go again. I would like to thank both my protein and the trooper program, it is because of them I was able to try this product. I actually signed up to review the creatine which I did, however they sent me a full box of these so I used them as an occasional filler and just finished the box. I am a 43 year old married guy with 2 busy kids and a dog. My training depends on my mood. During use of this product I was doing cardio and Body Beast, as well as playing with the kids, the dog, as well as Tae Kwon Do two times a week. I found that this product fit into multiple uses for me.

----Ingredient Profile----
I will try and add the ingredients below like we are supposed to. However if it doesn't work you can find them on the website. I had the sour cream and spring onion, which is a low calorie high protein snack. I liked the 15 grams of protein in a portable package. Some people have complained about Soy protein being the first ingredient, I say too bad. This is a supplement, it is not my main source, heck I didn't even use it once a week so who cares, not me. I do wish the Sodium was a little less at 410mg, it is 17% of my salt for the day, but hey its a treat.

----Taste/Mixability/Dosing----
This is the most interesting snack I have eaten. On first opening them up I thought wow these are going to be vary tasty. On the first few bites I thought awesome I like these, in fact as I write this I am starting to salivate. Then the cold hard realty strikes. The aftertaste kills this product. Which for me started at about 2/3rds of a bag in. I can't really describe it other than dry, chemical, and kind of weird. Unfortunately it stayed with you a little while. I let my wife and kids try and they all agreed that they where "ok" except for the after taste.

I had no issue with mixing as there is none, and dosing is just as simple one package, when you feel like it.

----Effectiveness----
As a protein supplement I can't really say how effective it is. I only had 6 bags and as I stated I used them sparingly. However in my opinion looking at the ingredients, and taking into account how I used and will use the product I think it is effective. It is a supplement to get a little extra protein in your diet. Also the ease of transportation make this a hit for me.

----Value----
Currently as of today. 8/27/2015 Myprotein is on sale for $10.99 for a box of 6, so $1.83 per serving. As of today it is buy one get one free. Also as of today purchases over $80.00 include free shipping. So for me the value is good at the normal price, as I can spend more on snacks if I choose. However with the sale I would say its excellent. As a side note, I always spend enough to get free shipping, so that is how I base my pricing.

----Side Effects----
Funky after taste and not very pleasant breath for a little while.

----Conclusion----
In conclusion I would like to recommend this product to anyone who is tired of the typical snacks. These might not taste the best but they don't melt like protein bars, and sometimes you just gotta have some crunch. Just be prepared for them to give you a little "Bite" back.
ron
TROOPer Level: 12

July 25, 2015

----------------Claims-----------------------
The perfect savory snack to help increase daily protein without the addition of fat or sugar.

--------------- Ingredients -----------------
Soy and Whey protein blend, rice flour, topped off with lots of different yeasts and powders for flavoring obviously needed to make this product somewhat edible.

Each 1oz bag contains:
110 calories
15g Protein
9g Carbs (1g Fiber & 1g Sugar)
2g Fat

--------------- Taste / Texture ------------
Protein Bites come in 4 flavors:
Chargrilled Chicken, Barbecue Chipotle, Cheese & Jalapeno, and Sour Cream & Spring Onion.

The flavor I received was Chargrilled Chicken and while I found the crunchy texture to be pleasant, that's where the satisfaction came to a screeching halt. To be as politely descriptive as possible, I will compare this snack to broken bits of stale toast mixed with chicken flavored bouillon cubes.
Fowl Flavored? NO!
Foul Flavored? YES!

--------------- Effectiveness ----------------
It is possible that your crusty old taste buds are used to years of bachelor living and frozen TV dinner consumption, but still, a defining quality of a snack should be that it's something you enjoy eating. Certainly not something you choke down, just to fill the hole till you can get your hands on a full meal. Protein Bites may qualify as a protein snack, but to call it "perfect" and "savory" is a far stretch of the imagination.

Thoughts pop into my mind of a taste quality team in white lab coats choosing several options of flavoring for this product. I mean, how bad were the choices that didn't pass for production that this one somehow tasted good? How messed up do your taste buds need to be to approve this as an edible product for human consumption? Ok Ok, that may be a little harsh, but seriously, a full bag of these Protein Bites can't be eaten on their own without something else to mask the taste.

The only way I was able to get through all 6 bags was to use them as salad toppers and drown them with Thousand Island dressing. In that regard I actually appreciated the ease of adding protein to my salad and perhaps they would sell better remarketed as "Protein Croutons".

--------------- Side Effects -----------------
Dry mouth accompanied by horrible after taste when consumed alone.

--------------- Value ------------------------
A 6 pack box can be had on the MyProtein website for $11.
Recently on their website these could be had on a BOGO offer which cuts the overall price in half. Paying under $1 per bag has some pretty good value if you can find a flavor worth stomaching. Either that or find an effective way to mix them using your individual culinary art skills.

--------------- Final Words -----------------
As the flavor options sounded quite promising, I really had high hopes for this to be a delicious snack. I truly appreciate the effort companies put forth to come up with healthy and convenient high protein snack alternatives for people that really want and need them. Unfortunately for me, this one was way off base.

Please keep in mind that I only tried one of four flavors and perhaps the others three are flat out delicious. If MyProtein put out a multi-pack case that contained all four different flavors, I would love to reassess my opinion here, but alas that is not the case. And there I go again with the puns
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Convenience Factor Is Quite High
line6reed
  June 22, 2015

----Introduction----
There are some days that I'm so busy that its hard for me to find time to sit down and eat. I always prefer to get my calories from foods that I personanlly prepare but having a convient product such as these bites are a great alternative.

----Ingredient Profile----
1 bag is 110 calories 15g of protein 9g of carb and 2g of fat in my opinion this is a decent replacement protein snack. As lava stated in his review I'm not a huge fan of consuming soy protein sources. I'm not sure what the reasoning was for choosing to use soy. It has been well documented that soy protein isn't good for men and is less effective then whey protein for building muscles. What makes soy protein less effective than whey protein is, the amino acids in soy protein are more likely to be absorbed/circulated in the stomach, small intestines, colon, liver, pancreas and spleen instead of being absorbed/circulated to the the muscle tissues. Soy protein also has a low BCAA content in comparison to whey protein.

----Taste/Mixability/Dosing----
I was extremely excited to try these until I tasted them. Upon putting the first bite in my mouth I realized how dry and odd the texture of this product was. The flavor is that of dirty burned crums at the bottom of a frying pan, truth be told it was a struggle for me to find the courage to eat these things.

----Effectiveness----
I felt zero positive or negative effects from this product. The fact that it provides you with a convient source of protein is good. With that said the list of benefits of protein for muscle building are well known so adding that to the equation it would be safe to say this is an effective product.

----Value----
$10.99 for 6 bags is a reasonable price and is right in line with other products of this nature. For me I probably wouldnt buy protein bites again because of the taste and the use of soy protein.

----Conclusion----
Even though I didnt agree with the taste of these snack it would be hard for me not to encourage someone else to try them. In the same breath I would only recommend for someone to use these as needed for the simple fact that soy is the protein source.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Convenience Factor Is Quite High
  • Cost Is In-line With Competitors Products
  • Soy Protein Main Ingredient
lava135

June 18, 2015

----Introduction----
This is the second protein snack that I've received from MyProtein via the ER program. I love having convenient sources of protein on hand for those occasions when I'm on the road or out in the field and keeping something cold is an issue. It's probably useful to keep in mind that I do not treat any of these products as a staple or foundation for daily nutrition; these are convenience products only. It appears that these are a private label product from Novo, albeit in a slightly smaller serving size.

----Ingredient Profile----

Serving size: 1 bag (1.06 oz or 30g)
Calories: 110
Protein: 15g, Carbs: 9g, Fat: 2g

Pretty solid macros. The first ingredient is the protein blend, which is a mix of soy isolate, whey concentrate and whey isolate. I could do without the soy, but it's not a deal breaker in a convenience product like this. I would not use a soy protein on a daily basis. The next ingredient is rice flour followed by all the flavorings - so it's a pretty simple mix and I like it.

----Taste/Mixability/Dosing----
Ok, so this is where things get a little dicey. First off, these are quite dry; pretty sure you can't get through even half a bag without having to take a drink lest your mouth turn into a solid clump of sawdust-like particles. But again, this isn't a deal breaker for me since it's all about the extra protein for me. As such, I'm willing to sacrifice a little on the look & feel; however, I suspect most people will judge the texture more harshly as, like I said, it's quite dry. I had the char-grilled chicken flavor and it was pretty much exactly that. A bit freaky to have chicken flavored crisps, but there you have it. I'm sure those with more "sensitive" palates will certainly have plenty of negative things to say while they sip on their caramel-mocha Frappuchino and white hazelnut truffles.

----Effectiveness----
As a protein based snack, this is effective. 1 bag delivers 15g of protein which is really the only reason I would buy these. There's really not much more to say. You could make a case for reduced effectiveness because the dry texture may turn you off so much that you don't use them, but for me, I went through these pretty damn quick.

----Value----
These retail for $10.99 for 6 bags, which comes to roughly $1.85 per bag. So that's $1.85 for 15g of protein supplementation - significantly more pricey than the cost of an equal amount of whey. But this product's value is in it's convenience and as such, so is the expense. Compare it to my current snack staple, Quest Chips, which retail for around $2.10 per bag, but deliver 21g of protein in a slightly more palatable form. So again, as a 1:1 protein replacement for say chicken or whey, it's not a great value but compared to other convenience products like protein bars or protein chips, it holds it's own. It's also worth noting that these often go on sale and MyProtein has numerous discount codes so I think it would be rare to have to pay full retail for these.

----Conclusion----
I'll recommend these. While not the "be-all, end-all" to gourmet protein decadency, it's a decent way for you to keep a bag in the truck or gym bag for those occasions that you need a protein fix. And really, that's the only reason that I would use these. All truffle jokes aside, they really aren't quite palatable enough to keep on hand for everyday use in my opinion.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Convenience Factor Is Quite High
  • Cost Is In-line With Competitors Products
  • Dry Texture
  • Not A Fan Of The Soy
trey-carmine
TROOPer Level: 55
  June 7, 2015

I'm currently going through my checklist of items to review between my SR Troop reviews and products I ordered myself. Next up on my list are Protein Bites from a brand I'm quickly falling in love with, MyProtein. Apologies up front for any errors in my review as its my first I'll write using my tablet, I'll proof read and correct myself as best I can.

Ingredient profile 6/10

Serving size 30g (1 bag)
Fat 2g
Carbs 9g
Protein 15g

The protein comes from a blend containing soy protein isolate, whey protein concentrate, and whey protein isolate. No soy protein will not cause gyno despite what some will lead you to believe on many sites. However I'm still not a fan of it and wish it wasn't the main protein ingredient in these chip like snacks. The macros are great for what you get with low fat and minimal carbs coming mainly from rice flour.

Taste 2/10
When you first dig into the protein bites you get a dusting of your chosen flavor, in this case it was the sour cream & spring onion. It starts out very well received, but then you have to chew. The protein bite quickly dissolves into a thick dry powder that becomes difficult to swallow. Your brain quickly gets reminded these aren't delicious chips they are protein powder mixed with rice flour that will cause you to gag. Maybe I excepted a lot from these since I loved the taste of their protein cookie. The flavoring and consistency did not carry over well from that product to these.

Effectiveness 5/10
It's difficult to put judgment on effectiveness when these are only used to meet daily nutrition goals. But they did aid in giving a snack with good macros that kept me full even if it was unpleasant at best.

Value 7/10
As usual MyProtein comes with a good value of 6 bags for $10.99 as a direct price. This combined with many special offer sales always going on it was worth a gamble to try.

Side Effects
I'm happy to report no estrogen signs and I do not need a bra after consuming a small amount of soy protein.

Conclusion
For me to say I wanted to love these is an understatement because I've come to except so much from MyProtein as a company. The only thing to compare these to are the quest chips and there just is no comparison here in anyway. Maybe others will be okay with the taste and consistency but it just wasn't for me. I think I'll attempt to utilize my last bag as a baking coating on top of chicken to add some crunch.