Impact Whey Isolate Questions

By: MyProtein

Ok Im confused

April 21, 2017

I was always told , you need 2.5x your body weight to grow in protein, and that's what I aimed for ,

Jerry Brainum says you need 1.2 to 1.7g Per Kilo to build Muscle. but does this include your bodies daily need for protein aswell , or 1.7g per kilo just for muscle building , and you will need another 0.8g per kilo for your bodies RDA. Obviously you your body needs protein without training , can someone clarify on this please.

ANSWERS (7)

gervs11
Posted April 21, 2017

I am no expert on the matter by any means, but always followed the guideline of 1g per lb of body weight and increased that to 1.2-1.5 g when cutting. You may want to take a look at Bodyrecomposition. Lyle Macdonald is very knowledgeable on the matter and has really good info. You can start here;

Posted April 21, 2017

Ok thanks I'll be sure to look at this in the morning, I'm to get some sleep. Yeah Jerry Brainum actually said 1.2-1.7g per Kilo of body weight is needed to build muscle , but I wasn't sure If that included your bodies natural functions as well or just building muscle without the bodies own natural needs.... :/ but he did say if you want to look 200 Ibs then eat 200g of Protein a day and your completely covered for the days intake of protein. He also stated that as long as you have 2.8g or leucine in it, you only need 6.25g of protein to kick start the protein synthesis ..... that was pretty good to learn , because I guess any more than that your body could use for its own daily RDA intake. Which would also help keep a guide on how much I need to take.
willyb87
Posted April 22, 2017

I think this is a based on individual equation and you have to find what works for you. I weigh between 200 and 210 depending on a few factors and I have been steadily adding lean solid mass for about the past 2-3 months and I very rarely eat over 180g of protein in a day I don't keep track of fats but I usually try to get in 200-300g of carbs and 150-200g of protein a day and that seems to work for me so don't just eat x amount because so and so fitness guy said so find what works for you. keep a journal and try something for around 6 weeks, track your weight once a week and measure the key body parts every other and see how that goes if its working keep going if not adjust accordingly
Posted April 23, 2017

yeah that's a good point actually , so if your about 200/210 that's about 0.8-0.9 per ibs roughly although that's at a guess and its working for you , so me having over hlf that I should aim for around 120 ish, Although 1.7gx1KG actually comes in around what I should be eating based on what you are per ibs, so maybe its right. Ill deff give it a go of a 4 week cycle and see progression with muscle size etc and measuring them.
Posted July 13, 2017

Don't forget mate that the 1g per lb of body weight is of LEAN body mass, so you need to remove your fat mass based on % fat composition.
Posted July 14, 2017

so 1g of protein per 1 lbs of lean body mass, after a traumatic experience, stuff I am not willing to share or talk about I lost weight , I currently sit at 55 kg and 12% roughly body fat , so that puts me at 48/50kg of lean body weight yes ? as 12% is only a rough guide, so that's around 60g of protein I would need ??? or 1g per 1lbs of total weight as different websites say different things as I'm confused as hell.
BlakePullen
Posted February 12, 2018

I would start by getting a macronutrient calculator and getting a rough idea of what your protein/ calories requirements are specifically for your goals! Then you get to play around with the numbers like a mad scientist until you find out what exactly works the best for your unique body