AminoKIK Reviews

By: Musclewerks

Amino Acids > BCAA/EAA
AminoKIK is a BCAA/Intra-Workout manufactured by Musclewerks. BCAA is short for branched chain amino acids. They are the building blocks of protein and can increase protein synthesis, muscle recovery and endurance during workouts and have also been shown to reduce body fat.
5.2

August 20, 2016

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Mixes Well
  • Under Dosed Severely
  • Poor Taste
Introduction:

Thank you to the SR Troops program and the people at Musclewerks (love the company name), for the opportunity to try their Amino Kik product. Amino powders are a staple for me, which I normally will drink intra-workout and occasionally during the day. I would hope aminos have some underlying benefit, although a few amino products I could feel working in terms of recovery.

A good tasting amino product is important to me, because I do not care to be drinking a poor tasting drink during my workout.

Ingredient Profile:

This is a standard BCAA profile of a 2:1:1 ratio

There is also a prop blend of glutamine, citruline malate and HICA

Taste 2/10:

I had the watermelon flavor which is my preferred flavor across pre-workout and amino products. The tub at first "looked" very refreshing, which made me crave the flavor, however, that was not the case.

Maybe I got a bad batch, I shake all products for a good 30 seconds to alleviate any product settling that took place. I shook this tub for an extended period of time after my first consumption, but the taste was the same, very poor. It had a strong chemical taste for my, which I was dumfounded because it seemed from the current reviews out there, that this flavor was well received.

Mixability 9/10

Excellent mixability with this product, not issues. It passed the shaker cup consumption as well as stirring in a glass with a spoon.

Dosing:

Pretty straightforward here, 1 scoop in 20 ounces of water and ice in a shaker cup. I drank this intra-workout for probably 25 servings, the other 5 were taken during the day on off days.

Effectiveness 4/10:

I hope that amino/BCAA products have some underlying benefit. I experienced no increased recovery or decrease in DOMS. The taste was very challenging for me to deal with for 30 days straight. Possibly a 2 X the dose would have been effective? Not sure I understand the "kik" part of the label as that word alone could give the impression that this product contains stimulants, which it does not.

Value 4/10:

As of this review, this product is cheapest on Amazon and the website for Musclewerks at a whopping $39.99. That's way over priced for what you are getting in terms of dosage of ingredients contained in the product. Per my abacus, that's $1.33 per serving.

Via a google search I do not see any other retailers that carry this product at this point in time. It is referenced on a few blogs.

Side Effects:

I would deem poor taste a side effect for me.

Conclusion 4/10:

Not a fan of the product or the taste. As a company your flavors should be consistent across the board. It's a standard profile, with some prop blend goodies that are under dosed. Much better options out there if you are gonna drop $39.99 for an amino product for 30 days.
  • Watermelon: 2/10

Overall
Overall
3.0
3.5
2.0
  August 9, 2016

• Under Dosed Severely
Big ups to Musclewerks for allowing us to try out this product. Also big thanks to the SR Troops community for providing their honest feedback on products worth, weather it worked or it didnt. I love amino products. I feel they provide the necessary ingredients and minerals that are optimal for recovery, endurance, and just overall increased recovery after intense workouts. Also its something nice to drink during your workout, if you want to change it up from just water.

============================
Ingredients: 4/10 - Uhm wow, okay so Ive had a ton of different amino products, and they all had a staple mineral or ingredient of some kind that usually stands out. Glutamin, Taurine, High BCAA, something. This product falls short on all levels.

Leucine: 2.5mg
Valine: 1.26mg
Isoleuicine: 1.26mg

Then Prop blend of Glutamine, HICA and Citruline Malate of 3200

Uhm what ? First off all, glutamine is severely under dosed. At such low levels its not even worth including it.
Secondly the rest of the ingredients are also under dosed. I feel like whoever formulated this product, didnt really do their research on what works out there.
============================

Taste: 8/10 - I got the grape flavor, and usually I hate anything thats grape. I feel its the worst fruit to use to cover up any bad taste the ingredients give. However, I was pleasantly surprised just at how refreshing this product was. The more water you added the better it tasted honestly. Also it was very refreshing and light. Not too sweet, not too tarty it was just right. Also it mixed instantaneously so there was no grimey or gritty residue at the bottom or foam in my cup. This was probably the best thing about the product.

============================
Effectiveness: 3.5/10 - I mean was it enjoyable to drink during my workout. Yes it was. Did it really do anything, not one bit. It did not increase my recovery or make my endurance any better. There were days where I would forget to take this product, so I figured I would see a drastic difference but nope, the recovery was identical. When I did HIIT workouts, it might of probably who knows helped slightly on the recovery the next day. However, when I was lifting heavy, I was super sore, it did absolutely nothing for the DOMS. Absolutely nothing.

============================

Value: 2/10 - Wow $40 for 30 servings ? I mean honestly maybe if you mix all the 30 scoops together you would get the optimal amount of ingredients and minerals to see the diff. Otherwise, this just seems like a scam in a bottle. You know one of those too good to be true things you see on TV and just pull the trigger and get it because you are curious. Well let me save you from your curiosity and your money. Don't bother wasting any on this.

============================

Overall: 3/10 - Barely a 3, probably just for the taste. It doesnt work and severely under dosed. Move on, theres better things out there at the same price value, even cheaper.

Overall
Overall
5.1
  August 8, 2016

• Needs More Glutamine
Hey SR FAM.... I'm back with another review of a product I received from the TROOP program. I always try to use an amino drink as an intraworkout drink because I don't really care to drink water during the workout since I am drinking water every other part of the day. I like a good tasting amino drink because of this. Sooooo what did I think of Amino KIK?? Read on and you will see....

First thing I noticed on the label was STIMULANT FREE. Because I take a preworkout I like my intraworkout drinks to not contain any stimulants. I've tried this before and I could tell I was on stim overload so I was happy to see that. Amino KIK is your extremely basic intraworkout drink. Pretty basic 2:1:1 profile of BCAA's. Amino KIK also carries a prop blend of Glutamine, HICA, and Citrulline Malate totaling 3.2g per serving. I would like to know more about how much Glutamine, HICA, and Cit Mal are actually used in this product. This would help me determine how much more I needed to use from other products.

Mixes well and the watermelon taste was as expected. Not really flavorful but that is probably because of no other ingredients in the product. I used one scoop for a little while with 12oz of water. After a couple of weeks I upped the dosage to 2 scoops with 20oz of water. This made it taste a little better as well.

I was kind of disappointed that I didn't notice the recovery effects with just one scoop. I think that is the main reason I ranked it the way I did. Once I dosed two scoops I was able to feel it like I could with properly dosed BCAA's. If you have to use two scoops then you will pay the same price for half the amount of workouts you can use it.

If it was a true one scooper then I it would still be pushing it on the value. $39.99 is a lot to pay for this product or any product that just gives you 5g's of BCAA's and a little bit of Cit Mal, HICA, and Glutamine when there are other products that give you a lot more for the same price or less.

Side Effects

No real side effects

Conclusion

In conclusion, let me thank Musclewerks for participating in the TROOP program. Although, I don't think I would recommend this product to the average joe because of the price and what you get for the price I am still thankful for the opportunity to try it out. My last recommendation here would be two double the amount of BCAA's in one scoop if you plan on keeping it the same price. Thank you.
  • Watermelon: 6/10

Overall
Overall
4.5
2.0
  July 25, 2016

• Needs More Glutamine

Not much to introduce here, as always I love my aminos and these came up for review. Never had any experience with Musclewerks and even after looking at the less than impressive ingredient profile I gave this a shot anyways....

The profile starts out with a little over 5 grams of BCAAs at a 2:1:1 ratio, right off the bat I would like to see a higher overall number here and would like my Leucine ot be at least closer to the 5 gram mark on its own in a pure amino formula. Next you have a small 3.2 prop blend with 3 ingredients that all should be dosed close to 3 grams by themselves in my opinion.(glutamine, HICA, and Cit Malate)

Blue Raspberry, well it was blue but that's about as close as it got to the description for me. The taste was not good at all, fell very flat with no tartness or sweetness to it whatsoever. Mixing was average, you can expect foaming with most products, but there were always small flakes that didn't seem to dissolve no matter how long it sat or how long I shook. Dosing was 10-16 oz of water mix and take it before or during training.

There really isn't anything I can think of to write here. I dosed this at 1 scoop for the entire life of the product and never saw anything positive. Soreness wasn't decreased at all, it wasn't enjoyable to drink, and it flat out just didn't do anything for me.

This is where it gets really crazy. I could only find this at amazon and Musclewerks actual site and it was 39.99 for 30 servings. Lets set aside the fact that it didn't work at all for me and say that even if it did there are literally tons of other fully dosed, great tasting, and perfroming Amino products out there for half that price.

Side Effects

Conclusion

The container and presentation o the actual supplement was about the only upside I could find to this product. It defienetly would catch your eye in a storefront, but that's as far as it goes in terms of being effective.
    • Blue Raspberry: 4/10

Overall
    Overall
    4.5
      July 20, 2016

• Needs More Glutamine

As you all know I like to lift things. I like to get sore from lifting things. I like to take supplements to facilitate muscle growth and recovery from lifting things. This is not one of those things.

Pretty basic profile with a 2:1:1 BCAA profile containing 5g BCAA per serving plus a prop blend of glutamine, HICA, and Citrulline Malate totaling 3.2g per serving additional. There are a total of 30 servings per tub.

I had the watermelon flavor and it was pretty good. It mixed nicely in the blender bottle and it was delicious by itself and along with my flavored HBCD. I do feel like this product is grossly underdosed. I would normally use 2-3 times as many BCAAs and probably even more with glutamine, Cit Mal, and HICA combo. I used two servings per day so the bottle lasted me 15 workouts.

I didn't really notice the recovery effects like I normally would with a properly dosed BCAA/recovery product when I initially took a single serving. Once I bumped it up to two servings I felt like it was adequate but was highly disappointed that this cut the tub life in half for such an expensive and basic product.

The first few workouts I tried with this I thought to myself, man my muscle soreness is pretty bad, I guess I had an exceptional workout. But then after a couple dud workouts and recovery still not on par I doubled what I had been taking and recovery came back up. Really that is all I can really base the effectiveness off of. I have taken so many variations with the product and usually stick with a good one that works well when I am not reviewing a new product that I usually notice if there is a serious dropoff from one product to another and This one was definitely noticeable.

Like I stated before, this product is expensive. 30 bucks for 30 servings doesn't sound bad, but the profile pales in comparison to a full-fledged intraworkout with many many many more ingredients and at proper doses. The value is immediately cut in half when you have to double the doses to barely get what you want out of it.

Side Effects

Short tub life.

Conclusion

All in all I think Musclewerks needs to go back to the drawing board with this one and pack some more serious punch with this product if they ever want it to be in consideration with the other good amino products on the market. I would drop the prop blend and double or triple the doses of some ingredients. Where they are now I would consider this product a big ripoff that probably costs a dollar or two to produce.
    • Watermelon: 9/10

Overall
    Overall
    5.5
      July 14, 2016

• Helps To Stay Hydrated

This is my second review of a Musclewerks product, so thank you again for sending it out! Detoxn8 was like an inside the park homerun. Amino Kik was more of a sacrifice fly that turns into a triple play...well, not that bad when compared to Detoxn8 is was

Pretty simple, disclosed profile. Absolutely no calories, fat or carbs, so thats a plus if you're watching your macros. It's a 2:1:1 BCAA Blend of Leucine 2,525mg, Valine 1,262.5mg and Isoleucine 1,262.5mg, so 5g all together. This is pretty standard for BCAA products. Next is the prop blend of protein synthesis complex. It seems like the glutamine and citrulline are underdosed here.

Taste
    I had the blue raspberry flavor. I really enjoyed the taste. It wasn't too sweet, but not barely noticeable either. Blue raspberry is basically my go to flavor.

Mixability
    No problems here. Not even a little bit of residue in the bottom of my shaker. There is some foaming though. I attached some pictures below so you can see everything.

Label says to take 1 scoop per 10-16oz of water. I dosed it the way on the label at first, but then moved up to using 1 scoop in a full 28oz shaker. I didn't notice a difference. On non-workout days I would put 2 scoops into my 3 liter Poland Spring water jug and carry it around with me all day.

Alright. So the bottle claims to support lean muscle, strength, recovery and lasting endurance. Based off the ingredient profile, maybe it did or maybe it didn't support lean muscle. To my eyes, nothing noticeable. I have nothing to note about a difference in strength either, besides typical strength gains from my routine. I did however notice a slight increase in recovery...slight. I used this mainly as an intraworkout so I believe that is why it helped aid in my recovery. I don't have anything to note about a lasting endurance either. That would have been nice to experience.

I already consume over a gallon of water a day, but adding Amino Kik did aid in helping me drink even more water. That is it's biggest appeal to me.

You can find this on Musclewerks website and Amazon for $40 a pop. For what it does at 30 servings, I personally do not feel it is worth it. I don't even think I would pay $30 for it.

Side Effects

It didn't really bother me, but I'd just like to note that after taking it, I would burp up the blue raspberry flavor for the rest of the day. It wasn't like a heartburn by any means, just a taste.

Conclusion

Nothing to exciting here. It's biggest pro for me was helping me drink even more water because the blue raspberry tasted that good.. Besides the minimal aid in recovery, I don't have much else to say. I'd pick it up at a cheaper price if I eventually become tired of drinking water, but that's really it...
    • Blue Raspberry: 9/10

4.3
      July 10, 2016

• Slight Increase In Recovery

Before I start I want to thank Musclewerks for participating in the SR Troop Program. This is my first product review for Musclewerks - this review will be on Amino Kik 2:1:1. I don't always take BCAAs as a stand alone supplement, however I do like to change things up when my diet changes. During the duration of this review I was focusing on hypertrophy/strength training 5-6 days a week.

For the most part the ingredient profile is disclosed except for the Protein Synthesis Complex. I don't see why you need a prop blend there since the three ingredients are severely underdosed at 3.2g total. Besides for the Protein Synthesis Complex the BCAA ratio is disclosed at 2.525g Leucine, 1.2625g Valine and Isoleucine for a total of 5.05g. Basically this is a heavily based Leucine product with 3 different sources total.

Taste - For this review I received the Watermelon flavor which is one of four different flavors. The taste was enjoyable and there was no bad chemical after taste. Taste gets an 7.5/10

Mixability - There were no issues with mixability, there was no settlement or clumping at anytime. As with most BCAA supplements there was a little foam but nothing to worry about. Mixability gets an 8/10

Dosing - You can take a BCAA supplement pretty much at anytime of the day. The tub suggests taking 1 scoop in 10-16 oz of water, 10 to 15 min before training or intra-workout. I used Amino Kik as an intra-workout using 1-2 scoops, on non-training days I used 2 scoops with 1/2 gallon jug of water sipping through the day. Dosing gets an 8/10

I really didn't see much effectiveness other than having some slight recovery. At one scoop I didn't notice a thing, at two scoops I noticed very little. There was no change in pump with the underdosed Citrulline Malate ingredient when used intra-workout. Basically this helped with my hydration levels with some recovery aspects. I know BCAAs aren't miracle supplements but I was hoping to see a little more.

I found 30 serving tubs of Amino Kik for around $40 on Amazon and the Musclewerks website. Each serving (30 total) will cost the consumer around $1.33. This is way overpriced when compared to similar BCAA/EAA products. I'm not willing to pay that much for a prop blend and under dosed ingredients that wasn't effective for me.

Side Effects

Conclusion

In conclusion - Amino Kik really didn't do much for me. The ingredient profile isn't great and needs a lot of work if your going to sell this for $40. There are much better options at cheaper price points. Also there is no need for a prop blend when ingredients are severely underdosed. Amino Kik wasn't a Kik for me.
    • Watermelon: 8/10

July 9, 2016

• Needs More Glutamine

Hello SR. Here to review a BCAA supplement with added goodies. First I would like to thank Musclewerks for sending this out for review, and the SR TROOPs program for making the connection possible. This was a pretty solid BCAA product in terms of muscle recovery, but the price is just too high for the serving amounts.

The ingredient profile isn't too bad, but it doesn't really have anything special to make it shine either. The BCAA amount is a 2:1:1 ration, which is the standard dosage you'd see. The amount of each BCAA really isn't bad. If you look at NutraBio's BCAA 5,000 they actually have a tiny bit less of each, so AminoKik is providing us the same doses as most other brands.

Then there's a protein synthesis complex with Glutamine, HICA, and Citrulline Malate. The amount is this prop blend is 3.2g's, which makes me feel it's just not much help since 1, 2, or all three ingredients are underdosed. If anything the Glutamine in this supplement should have been much more to make the product stand out as a good mixture for recovery purposes.

Taste was pretty good. I asked for the grape flavor and it had a nice easy taste with no bitter notes afterwards.

Mixing was perfect. Added it into my shaker cup of water and it mixed completely through.

I drank one scoop before each workout, which is the recommended dosing amount.

Muscle recovery wise it did help keep muscle fatigue and soreness down throughout the day of training, but the next morning I felt it all. A good recovery product would normally help my body through the night with recovery to where the next morning I was pretty refreshed for the next training round. Just didn't happen with AminoKik. For some reason in the beginning everything was fine for about a week, but strangely just seemed to die down as I used the supplement.

The value is just too much right now. I understand their working their way into the American market, but being on Amazon for $39.99 with 30 servings is just not competitive for the market right now. Several quality brands selling similar BCAA mixes are well under a dollar per serving. Maybe $40 would be reasonable with 60 servings, but it isn't.

Side Effects

None to report!

Conclusion

Effectiveness wise AminoKik wasn't terrible and did decently the first two weeks, but in the end I've had better recovery products for nearly half the price. If the price drops I think it'd fall into the 7.0 overall score range. Thanks for allowing me to review your supplement Musclewerks.
    • Grape: 9/10

Overall
    Overall
    6.2
      July 7, 2016

Cons:

Gilla in with another review from the Aussie's with their cut little jars of supplemental interestingness. Seriously, their tin lids are adorable.

The Aminokik profile is one of the common ratios out there, 2:1:1. In this case, 5.05G of BCAAs. That's a whole .05 grams of BCAAs than a lot of other companies out there! Hoooooooooooooty hoooooooooooo!

Also in the profile is what I believe to be the "kik", aka a blend of 3.2 G of Glutamine, Citrulline and HICA. Glutamine is usually at 5G for an effective dose, when it comes to recovery, so this falls a bit short. Citrulline is obviously just an additive to give the product more of a "kick", while HICA doesn't require much for an effective dose, so that could have been properly added.

No sugar and carbs are a decent selling point.

When I read a name like "kik", I'm sort of expecting an energy element. Even if these guys are sort of angling for the "healthy" thing, some all natural energy in green tea or something along those lines would be cool to see.

I received the Blue Raspberry and it tasted just like a Blue Raspberry Airhead taffy candy. BOOOOOOOOOMMBBBBBB. There was no chemically taste, no toxic residue. I enjoyed this flavor quite a lot. Airheady goodness.

Product mixed well, little settleage at the bottom that just worked its way in with each shake.

1 scoop doses, friends.

First the good, Using this product as an intra for the hydration factor was actually rather decent. While it contains no electrolytes(or sodium of any kind...), I still didn't feel the need to Big Gulp it. With me, hydration is a huge factor for Intras and this product works well. For the intra-workout "endurance" aspect, I did feel a bit of a "kik", which likely could have been contributed to the hydration factor, but perhaps it's to the quality of the BCAA ingredients as well.

The not so good, I didn't find there to be any sort of a "pump" boost from the Citrulline, as it was likely a tinkle's worth in each scoop. Overall next day recovery was not very noticeable. I likely point to the small dose of BCAAs, I like more than 5G...and more than 5.05G too I guess. The glutamine wasn't properly dosed either which likely played a hand in this. This is the second crucial gauge for me when it comes to a BCAA product. I want to wake up feeling full and refreshed the next day, even taking this twice a day some days yielded little in this area.

These guys don't look to have much of a footprint in the American market as I can only find it direct and through Amazon...where they don't even have the cute little jar tubs in the images! Amazon seems to be the best at $35 for 30 servings...no bueno for an intra for me. $.75 is my sweet spot, if a product is a proven winner. They need to kik up the servings or drop down the price a bit.

Side Effects

Conclusion

Overall, I think if they added a few more ingredients, to go along with a "C" in the name, this product could have been decent. Perhaps upping the BCAA count to 8G, or giving a full dose of one of the goodies. I am always the kind of guy who wants to give the "little guy" in the supplement game the benefit of the doubt, I think the Werks folks need to give it just a little more of a go before they can solidfy themselves in the crowded market. Their fat burner was a decent introduction for me, Kik just doesn't get there.

Overall
    Overall
    6.3
      July 6, 2016

Cons:

I am a 44 year old who likes to try new things. I do cardio, lifting, and teach martial arts. I am currently cutting very slowly. I know I need to up my water intake, however sometimes water is boring. That is where this product came in. I would like to thank the trooper program and Musclewerks for allowing me to add this to my supplements.

BCAA 2 to 1 ratio. Basically 5 grams total. Not a lot but hey it's better than water right. I also don't mind the ratio as I haven't really had different results with other ratios that are out there. It has a dose of Vitamin b12 for energy. Which is an acceptable dose, a little on the low end but if you use this more than once a day it works.
    Lastly it has a "Protein Synthesis Complex" which at 3.2 grams total is also on the low side but some research shows that it can help so why not add it.

I received the Pink Lemonade flavor of this and I really enjoyed it. It reminded me of my Grandma's lemonade from when I was a kid. You can alter the taste depending on how much water you use. I actually used more than the suggested 10 to 16oz as I generally filled my 20oz shaker with water and dumped the scoop in. As I said above I am trying to increase my water intake.

This product mixed fine for me. I use a shaker cup with the whisk ball in it. I also am a habitual re-shaker, so I didn't notice any settling of the product or anything. However if you let it sit I will assume you would get some. So shake drink and repeat for no problems.

The suggested use in 10 to 15 minutes before you train. Which I tried to follow and did manage most of the time. I did however also use it as a water replacement at some times. I feel that BCAA's are helpful when you are trying to cut fat and keep muscle. Since that's what I am going for that is how I used this product.

I found that this is an average product. You get what you would expect. That being said, a lot of people in the exercise community would probably have to 2 scoop this at least, maybe even 3 scoop, which would absolutely kill the value. BCAA's are not a miracle supplement they are just a little added kick to your day. I felt this improved my recovery over taking no supplements, however it is not as effective as some others I have used. Such as Helix BCAA. There are also more complete formulas out for total recovery like Intra Blast. I still like Amino Kik for what it is, a simple BCAA and no real frills drink

Uh oh, the ugly comes out. From their website $39.99 from amazon $39.99 for 30 servings. This is a problem. Why you ask? I can buy Nutra Bio's Intra Blast for less than that and it has way more stuff. They need to get the cost down to $29.99 to make this reasonable. I know they are a new company and I know they are entering the US market but I couldn't see myself spending that much on this product.

Side Effects

I noticed slight recovery. I waited a week after using this product so I could judge effects and yes it helped recovery.

Conclusion

Overall I would have to pass on this in the future. There are just too many better options at a lower cost. If they can get pricing in check with their competitors I would be willing to try them again. I enjoyed the flavor and the break it gave me from plain old water, but I think most people look to supplements to give them an added boost at a bargain price. This is not in that category. It gives you some plain BCAA's but at a premium price. So if you are looking to have something to add to your water that is good for you, go ahead and give it a try. If you are looking for a recovery drink to help you power through workouts, give this one a pass.
    • Pink Lemonade: 9/10