Premium Whey Protein Plus has been reported as discontinued.

Check out the top-ranked products in Protein > Whey Protein

Premium Whey Protein Plus Reviews

By: MuscleTech

Protein > Whey Protein
Premium Whey Protein Plus is a Whey Protein Powder manufactured by MuscleTech. It is a dairy based protein that supports lean muscle gain by suppling additional protein to recovering muscles, which can also improve fat loss.

Premium Whey Protein Plus has been reported as discontinued.

Check out the top-ranked products in Protein > Whey Protein

February 20, 2017

• Convenient
  • BCAAs
  • Inconsistent Mixability

While contemplating what other useful reviews I could submit on products I had tried recently, I realized that I had been using this product for several years now with no complaints due to the cost effectiveness and above average chocolate flavoring.

When the protein spiking fiasco started a while back, I was concerned that MuscleTech might have been partaking in the same deception due to the below average pricing. I was relieved to notice after the issue started becoming more mainstream that MuscleTech added a disclaimer to their product indicating there was additional creatine and amino acids that were not included in the 20 grams of whey protein count. While some criticism has been provided regarding the relatively low amount of protein per serving, I have no qualms about that amount of protein and it's still one of the better values that can be found when you divide the actual grams of protein per bag by the price itself (normally $39.98 for six pounds/68 servings).

I have only used the chocolate flavor and it's not mind-blowing but it is enjoyable. It is very reminiscent of the chocolate milk (think Nesquik) that I drank as a kid. I have drank protein powders that are more enjoyable but certainly not enough to justify the more expensive price per serving/protein content in my opinion. The one downside I can think of is the mixability is inconsistent. Some times it will mix to the point that I do not even notice there was powder in the shaker and other times it can be prone to clumping. It's not a huge concern by any means but worth noting for the sake of honest criticism.

I was unsure how to rate effectiveness of a protein powder. I went with an 8.5 since it does exactly what I need it to which is supplement my daily protein intake. It would be no different than consuming my protein through whole foods but the convenience and price factor make it an easy choice to keep it in my pantry and daily regimen.

This is hard to beat, in my experience, from a value standpoint. While there are deals from time-to-time that can have a similar or better bang for their buck, being able to consistently grab a bag of this anytime I'm running low for such a solid price makes it my go-to source as indicated in the title.

Side Effects

I haven't noticed any unusual GI distress but anyone susceptible to issues with lactose might struggle as is the case with any whey concentrate.

Conclusion

This is definitely a product I would recommend for anyone who is budget-conscious but doesn't want a product they dread drinking on a regular basis. This only applies for Sam's Club members but I am sure there are plenty who have a membership or who have a family member that could hook them up should they want to take advantage of this value.

February 18, 2015

• BCAAs
  • Low Carb
  • Creatine
  • Poor Taste
  • Possible Amino Spiking
My name is Kalan, weightlifting is a hobby of mine and being a Endomorph I am very successful at putting on muscle mass. I have tried many different supplements and in this case whey protein powder. I have had many brands and used many formulas since I was a teenager but have definitely broadened my selection as I became older. This review is covering the product from Sam's Club in two flavors: Chocolate and Vanilla.

Preface
This product claims to not be Spiked with excess Aminos in order to boast the protein content, which is a big concern for many protein powders on the market. Before I get started with my review I want to point out something about Amino Acid Spiking in protein powders and why it is such a big deal. If a company is lying to you what they are putting into a product you are consuming and thus can no be trusted (not just with the protein powder but their other products as well). I will provide some links to some guys that have done lots of research and show you what to look for along with what this is all about. Lastly I will link you to a video that explains how it really isn't bad for a company to do this, which is the opposite to what many have been proclaiming. I provide the last link so you may form your own decision, being that cost is the main reason we look for good deals and end up getting what we pay for.

jimstoppani.com/home/articles/protein-spiking?preview
blog.priceplow.com/protein-scam-amino-acid-spiking
boxlifemagazine.com/community/nitrogen-spiking-is-you-protein-powder-giving-you-what-you-paid-for
youtube.com/watch?v=dpUB_5JURQw#t=198

Nutrition Facts (8/10)
Ok, so reading off the label you can see the basic Whey Blend: Whey Protein Concentrate, Whey Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Isolate, Whey Peptides. Going past that we see maltodextrin, which is common but not good (read about it here: fitnessfortravel.com/is-maltodextrin-bad-for-you/). RECOVERY BLEND, yes this is a dream for a college student because we see a bonus product added to something we feel so in need of (protein powder). So what is in this recovery blend? Creatine Monohydrate, Taurine, L-Leucine, L-Isoleucine, L-Valine, L-Glutamine). The label claims that the Recovery Blend is added in addition to the 20g of 100% Pure Whey Protein per serving at which it states 2.5g to be creatine per rounded scoop.

Mixability (7/10)
Compared to the other blends of whey or other formulated protein powders this powder stacks up just about as good as many. Mixing this with water was fine, and with milk it was not much better. I tested this out with 1 rounded scoop and 6 ounces of water/milk, and then with 2 rounded scoops and 12 ounces of water/milk.

Taste (4/10)
Ok, the two flavors I had were: Chocolate and Vanilla which left me rather disappointed. Neither of the flavors tasted any better than the other. I have had cheap powders before which tasted just as poorly and left me with adding cocoa powder and miniature marshmallows just to be able to consume it. I have had several 5lb bags of this stuff and last year they re-released it as new and improved, which actually made the flavor worse! I assume they replaced with a new formula for flavoring to cover up the taste of the cheap aminos they added. I actually find both flavors to taste a bit like marshmallows (plain), which is ok if you can stomach it.

Value (9/10)
This powder is one of the cheapest I have come across, and being they claim that the aminos are in addition to the 20g of whey protein per scoop it is a good value.

Conclusion (7.5/10)
This product is pretty solid pending on the label claims and value you can get it at, but with the huge claims other labels show I don't know how well I can trust it. If they didn't list that the Recovery Blend is added in addition to the 20g of 100% Pure Whey Protein per serving I would find this product to be a culprit of Amino Spiking, and be as it may I still find them to be suspicious of doing so. I do not have the means of testing the protein content, and it seems that this powder hasn't been selected for study as well. MuscleTech Phase 8 Protein Powder has allegations of Amino Spiking, while I have not seen actually proof I would not doubt it.

Bottom Line
If you can offord to spend $10 more for a quality product that tastes good as well, do it. Being a cheap college student I have had to deal with it, hence the added products to make it taste better.

January 26, 2013

• Convenient
    A convenient, affordable, good tasting whey protein.

I was surprised to see the limited reviews of this product and wanted to share my experience after going through 10lbs of this protein.

Judging the effectiveness of any protein can be difficult. It's not a supplement you can 'feel' if it's working or not. In this context, I'll look at a few characteristics that everyone should be able to relate to: digestibility, satiety, convenience and taste

Digestion: I find this whey to be easily digestible with no ill effects. No ill feelings, cramps, gas, etc. I mixed this both with skim milk and water.

Satiety: Personally, I find most proteins do NOT fill me up for very long. I used this in the morning as my first meal as well as immediately after a weight workout. As a first meal, I'd drink half (mixed with skim milk) right away and the rest about 1-1.5hrs later. This was all mental however, since I could finish it right away and eat a full meal without issue. Immediately after a weight workout I will do the same mixture but drink it in about 30 seconds. This is all without ill effects to my stomach and it really does nothing to make me feel full as I could eat a large meal right away.

Convenience: It's very shaker cup friendly, mixes quickly and thoroughly and is very easy to grab and go. Beyond opening and closing the zip-lock bag it's pretty darn convenient. The convenience also spills over into the affordability component and peace of mind knowing you're getting plenty of protein.

Taste: Taste is usually something I really don't care about however, I treat my proteins as meals or feedings throughout the day and tend to have so much over time that it's helpful if they taste OK. For me it's chocolate - always chocolate or some variant: cookies and cream, peanut butter & chocolate, etc. This chocolate tastes perfectly fine. Not sick of it after 10lbs and I could easily go through 10lbs more (and will!).

Effectiveness gets a solid 7 in my book.

I get this from my local Sams Club for just under $35 for 5lbs. That's pretty much the cheapest I can find whey for - especially immediately available off the shelf. I think it's a great value and have no plans of moving on to another product.

Great value, good taste and it does what I need it to do. I will continue to use it and recommend it to anyone looking for an affordable whey protein.

On that note, I'd like to throw out there that I've tried a LOT of different proteins throughout the years and have never been able to tell if one is better than another quality-wise with respect to it 'working' or not. Can anyone honestly say they could see a difference from one protein to another? If so, I'd love to hear about it and why it's better or different.
    As most of the more experienced folks know, diet is such a HUGE part of the game. If you don't have it dialed in your results will be mitigated for sure of non-existent with respect to supplement usage. If there are higher quality proteins out there that truly make a noticeable difference for those with a dialed in diet/exercise regimen I'd certainly be willing to give it a go.

Additional Notes
    As of this writing, my diet/exercise goals are to essentially remain at my current bodyweight (175lbs) and stay lean (currently approx. 7% bodyfat)
    I used this whey protein while adhering to a tight, continuous carb cycling diet - 3 to 5 days low carb, 12 to 24hrs high carb/reload. Daily NET calories at approx. 2,100. Weight workout 4 or 5 days per week. Cardio 3 or 4 days per week (this includes after-workout cardio of 12-15mins HIIT on a stepper and a couple early morning, steady-state treadmill sessions of 30mins)

I hope this is helpful and thanks for reading~

3.0
      November 4, 2012

Pros:
     Cons:
      • Tasted Horrible
      • Poor Mixibility
      I picked this product up at Sam's club because I was running low on protein and wanted to see how the quality of this product stacked up with other, more expensive products. I didn't have much experience with MuscleTech products prior to using this, so I decided to give it a go. After using this I felt that I spoiled myself using higher quality protein products, because I could barely get through this stuff.

Taste:

I got the chocolate, and it was miserable. Considering this product has 9g of carbohydrates, they really should have done a better job in this category. The product tasted chalky and artificial. Besides the one tub of Inner Armor protein I bought a few months ago on clearance; this products ranks as the worst tasting protein I have ever used.

Value:

At first glance the value seems terrific because the product is only $34 for 5lbs. But with value you cannot just look at price per serving as the only indicator. This product is mainly whey protein concentrate and maltodextrin. For me, I would rather pay more and get a product that leaves the maltodextrin out, and actually has a good taste that I enjoy coming back to.

Results:

I didn't notice any benefits from taking this protein. Because I never truly enjoyed taking this protein, I didn't take it as often as I would others. This leads to less protein in my overall diet and less lean muscle gains. I will never buy this protein again, and to be honest I will probably never try NitroTech either just because the same company makes it. Even for people who do not have a lot of money to spend on supplements, I would recommend they save their money and skip this one.