(Better than 47% in Amino Acids > BCAA/EAA)

Platinum BCAA 8:1:1 is a BCAA/Intra-Workout manufactured by MuscleTech. BCAA is short for branched chain amino acids. They are the building blocks of protein and can increase protein synthesis, muscle recovery and endurance during workouts and have also been shown to reduce body fat.

Amino Acids > BCAA/EAA

Overall
Overall
(SR paid for product; MuscleTech did not participate)
  April 15, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:

What is going on guys? I got drawn to this product truthfully because of the muscle tech name. It's one of the more recognizable names in the supplement industry (many of my non-lifter friends can identify that). It's got shiny packaging and a cool name so of course I wanted to try it. Before I get in I would just like to point out the overlap I have with another intra/BCAA product "Hydra Focus." I have only used 4 servings of Hydra Focus during the time frame that I've been using platinum BCAA, so that I would not skew my results. I'd like to thank SR for making this review possible and let's dive right in!

1 pill contains:
    8:1:1 Ratio of leucine to valine to isoleucine
    800mg Leucine
    100mg Isoleucine
    100mg Valine

This ratio strays from the common 2:1:1 that most BCAA products consist of. The website says they do this to load your muscles with high doses of leucine with every serving. They also recommend using 5 servings a day for optimal results so that you get 4g of Leucine (WOW) and 500mg each of isoleucine/Valine. "Research suggests that leucine is the BCAA with the highest anabolic potential, as it activates protein synthesis within the muscle through the mTOR pathway. Every serving of Platinum BCAA 8:1:1 ensures that your muscles are primed for musclebuilding." That was pulled straight from their product description. The research makes sense, if leucine is the primary muscle builder then why not load the muscles up with it? I'm very intrigued by the label because I've never used a product with a ratio quite like this.

The product is in pill form so taste/ mixability are not required.
    The dosage was recommended at 5 servings per day (5 pills) for optimal results. I look at BCAA products that just consist if the 'big three' moe like additional macronutrients/ fuel to spare my muscles from being broken down on a cut. On training days I would take this before training with my pre-workout supplement and on non-training days I would take my servings immediately upon waking to break the intermediate fasting that my body has undergone while I slept. I think BCAAs are great products if they're used correctly, and probably most effectively when you are in a caloric deficit or not quite meeting all of your protein needs. They can still be useful to a person in a caloric surplus though because they are high quality protein units that will help rebuild muscle.

The results I had with the 8:1:1 ratio of leucine to isoleucine to valine were very interesting to me. Traditional BCAA supplements hang their hat on reducing DOMs (degrees of muscle soreness). For whatever reason, I did not experience a big decrease in muscle soreness. It helped a little bit, but I'd say it worked less for me than the traditional 5g of 2:1:1 BCAAs would. Maybe it was the lower amounts of isoleucine and valine, but whatever it was it just didn't feel the same to me. On the contrary, I felt like I added more mass with this product than with other BCAA products in the past. I believe this is due to the higher concentration of leucine. I only say this because my weight increased more than I have been recently and my macronutrient/calorie numbers have not changed. I'm still in the same caloric surplus or 'lean bulk' if you want to call it so I gain about 1.5-2 pounds per month of mostly lean mass (hopefully) as my body fat is still pretty low. What was interesting about my trial with this product is I gained closer to the 2.5-3 pound range. My diet hadn't changed at all besides the higher introduction of leucine in this product. I can't say for certain that this product is the reason why I gained more mass, but the information I have would lead me to believe that it played a role in it.

The cheapest I could find this product for was $19.99 on netrition.com
    For 200 servings that's a crazy deal at 10 cents per serving. However, for 'optimal results' they recommend using 5 servings a day which brings it to about 50 cents per day. I think it's a pretty good deal either way you spin it. I would recommend following their recommendations though if you wish to achieve any of the claims that they make on the website or on the product.

Side Effects

Conclusion

This is an interesting ratio of BCAAs that I was not accustomed to. I think If I was concerned with muscle soreness i would revert back to the traditional 2:1:1 ratio of BCAAs, but if my only goal was gaining muscle I would definitely take a hard look at this product again.

Other Prices: