Platinum Amino Energy Reviews

By: MuscleTech

Platinum Amino Energy is an Energized BCAA Supplement manufactured by MuscleTech. It provides both BCAAs and stimulants to help keep you awake, energized and your muscles fed.

Overall
Overall
6.7
6.3

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Aggressive Taste
  • Dyes
  • Some Under-dosing

Energy-enhanced BCAA drinks are never really something to write home about. They satisfy a different need than traditional stimulant PWO's, so can't really be compared. This review reflects my experience with the product when used as a lightly-stimulated PWO/Intra, as well as an energizing beverage to use throughout my workdays.

MuscleTech's Platinum Amino+Energy is a fully disclosed energizing BCAA beverage aimed to be used before and during physical activity. With 5 grams of BCAA's, a recovery blend, electrolytes, and a very mild dash of energy.

3:1:1 BCAA MATRIX
5g of BCAA's is a standard and efficient dose, with a 3:1:1 ratio of L-leucine (to help protein synthesis, and build lean muscle), L-isoleucine (to help efficiently utilize glucose), and L-Valine (which is said to do a combination of both of the other effects ). None of them are listed as fermented, nor is there any indication of them being so on the label. Fermented BCAA's are said to be "cleaner" and more efficiently used in the human body. Having used fermented BCAA's before, I do like the idea of a more naturally made product, but can't say that I've ever noticed a difference in performance.

CELL-VOLUMIZING AND RECOVERY COMPLEX

1g Taurine - Effective dose of a conditional amino acid to combat fatigue and boost physical performance.
500mg l-Glutamine Physical stress is said to deplete this easily replenished and naturally abundant amino acid. Having an extra dose of this before and during exercise may stave off depletion and help nutrient absorption.
200mg l-Lysine At least one clinical study suggests between 1-3g may stimulate vasodilation, as well as aid in glucose secretion and protein synthesis.
125mg l-Arginine This is a low dose of a non-essential amino acid that has shown to improve nitric oxide production. Effective doses are typically between 3-5g.
125mg l-CitrullineEffective doses for blood-arginine production and endurance promotion are between 1-3g daily.
75mg l-Tyrosine Anotherlow dose of a non-essential amino acid. 500+ mg per-day is believed to aid in protein synthesis and cellular energy.
50mg l-PhenylalanineThis is half of the dose of an essential amino acid said to be effective for mood support and cellular energy. Lower doses may however help aid in the production of l-Tyrosine.
50mg l-Threonine There is no standard dose of this amino acid that aids in protein synthesis and muscle tissue production via production of serine and glycine.
50mg l-Methionine This is about 1/4 of the total daily need for this essential amino acid that helps in the natural production of cysteine and may or may not aid in tissue repair.
25mg l-Histadine This dose is effective for production of histamine, which in turn can help with dilation of capillaries.

ELECTROLYTE+ BLEND

160mg Sodium Chloride It's salt. I genuinely hope I don't need to go into detail on this, lol.
50mg Coconut Water Coconut water is packed full of electrolytes and other minerals, most notably Potassium, an important electrolyte lost in sweat.
50mg Watermelon Juice Citrulline and minerals for days!
40mg Dipotassium Phosphate Source of potassium and phosphorus. I can't find any evidence of this being useful or safe for exercise purposes. It is commonly used in powders to prevent clumping and looks to be a clever way to disguise an unnecessary, low-grade additive.

ENERGY ENHANCER +

100mg Caffeine Both from anhydrous and GTE.
25mg Green Tea Extract 25% EGCG and 12% Caffeine

We've also got some unnecessary artificial colors that vary according to which flavor you get.

Taste/Mixability

Mixability of the 10g scoop is impressive. There was no grit or residue of any sort in 8oz of cold (af) water. A thick head of foam smoothly lays back down within seconds of stopping the shaking. The first I tried was Extreme Orange, having no idea what to expect. I haven't had an orange flavored product in forever. A powerful taste of Tang's orange drink hit all corners of my mouth, which was a bit much to palate. I estimated from the intensity of the flavor that approximately half of that flavor would do, and doubled the water. I liked it this way much more. The Tropical Mango was much better, but still a bit strong for me at 8oz of water, and is much better about 12oz imo. I think the mango flavor will be easier to enjoy over time, while the orange flavor became tiresome.Both are better when you pump it a few times with a SodaStream imo.

The product has performed well in various circumstances. While not an every day'er for me, I really like to have it in place of coffee. I get up anywhere between 3am-5am for work. It really helps with the long and early drive followed by productive mornings. Being such a mild stimulant, there is no crash to worry about, so the drives back are cake as well. While using it as a PWO, it was exactly what you'd expect, a very clean "buzz" that is more motivation than stimulation. There have been some inconsistent boosts to endurance that haven't been anything to write home about when used as a PWO. This is where using it pre --and-- intra is better than pre --or-- intra, imo. A double-dose of this used at times for pre and intra gives a much more noticeable energy and endurance boost. My only issue with that is I prefer water as my intra, but that's a me thing, not a fault in the product.

You can find it on Amazon for less than $20 for a 30 dose container. That puts it around $0.70/serving, but $1.40 for each double-scoop, which is steep. I'll personally stick to using it occasionally in place of coffee, so the value to me is great. I see my Tropical Mango tub going probably outlasting the Extreme Orange since I've figured out how I prefer to use it. I'll likely get between 2-2.5 months on containers like this. I would however like to see some better dosages on the bottom half of the ingredient list. They're cheap, why skimp?

Side Effects

Nah, son.

Conclusion

I like it! I think it's found at least a temporary spot in my cabinet while I look for my 10/10.
  • Extreme Orange: 5/10
  • Tropical Mango: 8/10

• dmf8625
    July 24, 2018

For the BCAA ratio in your ingredient profile, there is conflicting information of them being 3:1:3 and 3:1:1. Which is correct?

Also, what's with the random bolding of text throughout the review?

• TheVenom
    July 24, 2018

I thought there was much more bbcode options in formatting, and it ended up just looking like a jumbled mess. I'll fix er up when I get home.