Platinum 100% Casein Reviews

By: MuscleTech

Protein > Casein Protein
Platinum 100% Casein is a Casein Protein Powder manufactured by MuscleTech. It utilizes the slowest digesting form of protein. Often used for a time released version of protein, it will help increase muscle recovery and strength.

Overall
Overall
9.2
9.2
  March 31, 2015

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Simple Ingredient Profile
  • Clean Profile
  • Lightly Flavored
  • Mixes Well

As we all know, MuscleTech has become known for having overpriced, under-dosed and kitchen sink approach products take over their line. I'd go as far as saying that they're just a marketing company that happens to sell supplements in previous years. A bit harsh, yes, but it sometimes you have to call it like you see it. Fast forward to the release of their Platinum Essential Series last year and I was pleasantly surprised that they have taken things back to the drawing board, evaluated their direction and simplified things rather than going out of their way to rely on marketing. With that, comes today's brief review for Platinum 100% Casein.

Ingredient Profile 9.2/10

The ingredient profile is the make or break of any protein powder, and with past products from MuscleTech, they overhype or overstate simple ingredients. There's none of that here, refreshingly they keep it simple with a slight twist on the basic casein product. It has a breakdown of casein fractions including alpha 1, alpha 2, beta casein and kappa casein. It's simple yet covers the whole spectrum of fractions and most importantly it's cold processed so it's not denatured. Nutritionally, it's lean and mean with 110 calories, only .5 a gram of fat, 2g of carbs and most importantly 24g protein, meaning that you're getting protein rather than sweeteners and fillers. Good stuff and very basic which bodes well in my book.

Taste/Mixability 9.3/10

It mixes instantly which is always a plus, and anyone that has used casein in the past knows that it can have a unique texture compared to other proteins with a slightly 'gritty' texture. Yes, there will be a little difference any time you're using casein protein powder as it's the nature of the protein, but this is one of the smoothest versions I've used which is a bonus. It doesn't clump, yet as you would expect is a bit thicker than other proteins. I primarily use casein for 'Proats', as in I mix a scoop of casein with oatmeal and a bit of water for the calories, and this works extremely well for that. The flavor isn't over the top as I rocked the Vanilla flavor and with the minimal sweetener added, it is exactly what you would expect with just a hint of vanilla sweetness without going over the top. Once again, simplicity is a plus in my book as I'm not looking for a milkshake here.

Effectiveness 9.2/10

The criteria for me when it comes to rating proteins is actually pretty simple...protein is a macronutrient so the thing it's going to be rated on is digestion and how it makes me feel in that aspect. Keeping it simple, I didn't have any digestive issues, no bloating as it's cold filtered. I didn't notice any difference in this aspect compared to any other casein, so it doesn't go above and beyond but then again it's not lacking and surprise, surprise: It's just casein protein.

Value 9.0/10

I have no complaints and for such a simple product, as it rocks a smooth, average $29 for a 28 serving container, putting it dead on point with all the other casein products on the market. You're getting exactly what you're paying for with a clean profile rather than fillers, it does the job it's intended to do and it doesn't try to be something it's not. Simplicity wins and at an industry average of $1/serving it's right where it needs to be. Good stuff here and it's refreshing to see a product from MuscleTech based on simplicity and value delivered for the price it comes at.

Conclusion 9.2/10

Overall, I was impressed and pleased with the direction that MuscleTech went with the Platinum Series. They backpedaled a bit, went away from the extra bull***t that they are known for relying solely on marketing and came out with a simple product at a good price. No hype, no extras that don't need to be in there and they aren't relying on here-say ingredients to give them the selling edge. Straight up casein, and a refreshing change, I wouldn't hesitate to give them a look if I was in the market to try a new casein protein. Sometimes simplicity is king, and that's what we have here.

-AP