Ranks #38 (better than 24%)
In: Protein > Blended Protein

Phase8 is a Blended Protein Powder manufactured by MuscleTech. It contains a blend of different types of protein and will promote lean muscle mass and fat loss.
ARTICLES
FORUM TOPICS

Protein > Blended Protein

July 13, 2017

Overview: I am always looking for new and different things to help with my fitness. I wanted to find a good protein powder but due to the small town I live in, I was having a hard time finding a local protein mix that was easy to buy and one that wouldn't break the bank. I had tried some cheaper products at my local Walmart, but it wasn't giving me the results I was looking for. I have also tried expensive proteins before that I would order online because if I bought them at a local store like GNC, they would always try to talk me into buying other products. I wanted to find a half-priced protein powder that gave me the results I was looking for and that is easy to buy.

Ingredients (per scope provided): 10/10
Calories: 150
Sugar: 2 grams
Carbs: 8 grams
Protein in mix: 26 grams
Fat: 1.5 grams
Made of: Protein Blend of quality milk proteins which contain Whey Protein Concentrate, Protein Isolate (which is 97%), and Casein. It also includes some sugar, milk, and soy.
Price: Phase8 is usually between $24-$26 for a 2lb jar which is $12-$14 per pound.

The cheaper brands provided at shops like Walmart usually run around $18 per 2lb containers but read the ingredients. If you are not paying attention to the ingredients you may be getting a product that is high in soy, sugar, calories, fat, and carbs. The Phase8 has low ingredients in the things I'm looking for, which are carbs, sugar, fat, protein blend, and calories. I have found proteins that have a lower carb count than the Phase8, but I didn't see much of a change in my weight while using this powder.

Taste and Mix-ability: 9/10
The Phase8 powder did mix very-well with water and was very creamy when mixed with milk or milk-like products. Some protein powders do not stir together effectively but would mix better if shaken and this was the case with the Phase8. It was available in many flavors and all the flavors I tried did taste well. Taste and mix-ability all ranked high. Most of the protein products I used in the lower price point, did not mix or taste as good as the Phase8.

I felt like Phase8 gave me the protein I needed. I was specifically looking for 3 different things.

One- I was looking for something that would keep me full because some other shakes would leave me feeling hungry within 1-2 hours after drinking the shake. The Phase8 was good in keeping me full for typically about 4-6 hours. In my opinion, Phase8 label makes it look like it would keep you full for up to 8 hours but, it says it will give you up to 8 hours of amino acid delivery. The amino acid delivery for 8 hours is a good thing, it was just something I didn't notice for a while.

Two- I wanted something to increase muscle recovery after a workout which potentially results in muscle mass so, going with a protein shake was a way to accomplish this. The Phase8 label says it gives amino acid delivery for up to 8 hours and that is a key ingredient needed for recovery so it should be taken following a workout or anything you are doing that burns energy. Amino acid delivery has been found effective in senior adults that don't want to lose muscle mass with aging. I also was looking for something to go along with weight loss. When I was looking to cut weight while still keeping current muscle mass, this protein delivered.

Three- Phase8 is mainly a protein whey isolate versus a whey protein blend and this Phase8 was 97% isolate. The reason I prefer an isolate versus a protein blend is because the amount of protein available in isolate is around 90% and whey blend is around 80% which gives it a lower carb, sugar, fat, and calorie count than the whey blend, plus the isolate is easier to mix then the whey blend.

This protein mix was cheaper when compared to other available protein mixes and easy to find at any Walmart or local shopping stores. I did find the product online. Like I said earlier, there was cheaper product available at the store that was around $18 for a 2lb jar, but Phase8 was not much further behind at $24-$28. The more well-known brands, such as optimum nutrition and muscle milk, usually run from $27 to $30 per 2lb jars. The Phase8 was a good in-between protein that would run from $22-$24 per 2lb. For the money, I considered Phase8 a great product as it delivers on good ingredients, feeling full longer, and nice flavor options.

Side Effects: No real side effects that I noticed.

Conclusion: 9/10
This was a protein powder I started using in place of cheaper protein mixes and avoiding expensive protein powders. The low sugar, fat, calories and carbs with a high protein count is a product well worth trying. I did try all the powders available and found all of them fine. I always felt better and did get the boost I was looking for pre and post workout. So production wise, it was a very good protein mix that was worth the money. I would consider some of the other MuscleTech protein products (this company makes the Phase8 products) that are available.
  • Good Flavor And Easy To Mix
  • Good In The Middle Protein Powder
  • No Problems
  • No Problems I Found

February 9, 2016

Hello all. This is the review I've been waiting to give for about a month now since I decided to start reviewing products. I found a good meal replacement protein for my breakfasts as part of my new diet and this is a great candidate that stands the chance of getting used again.

(7)
I'm still looking for an appropriately priced product that has fewer "fillers" like "Gum Blend (Cellulose Gum, Xanthan Gum, Carrageenan), Calcium Carbonate, Silicon Dioxide, Acesulfame-Potassium, Sucralose, Soy or Sunflower Lecithin". These seem to be common amongst most protein products but I'd like to see less of them.

As for the actual good stuff I really like the blend of protein types a lot, especially since I wanted to use this as my breakfast and I needed something to keep me satiated from ~7:30am till noon. It starts off with really fast absorbing hydrolyzed whey (not my favorite but good to get things started fast when I'm hungry) then transitions into medium absorbing whey proteins (both concentrates and isolates) and finally ends with 2 types of casein to help keep me full until I got to lunchtime.

(8/6/10)
I bought the chocolate peanut butter flavor and really liked the flavor. I'm a big chocolate guy and there was plenty of chocolate flavor but it did lack the peanut butter flavor I was hoping would be there. Overall, it was a good flavor.

Mixing was a bit of an issue for this product. The best way to mix it, that I found, was straight water. I tried milk only and water/milk blends of various ratios but water only still mixed best. Even with it being the "best", water only still left a lot of undissolved particles that precipitated to the bottom of my shaker. They would re-suspend if I shook it up and drank the shake right away but if I let it sit the particles would fall out of suspension again. It made the drink a little chalky which is why the title says "easy to drink...for the most part".

Dosing is great on this product. The scoop isn't overly large and has 26g of protein which is on the higher side of most doses per scoop. I was very happy with that.

(7)
I'd say this product was effective on two fronts. MuscleTech promotes this product as giving 8 hours of protein release, which is difficult to feel in one's body, but I definitely felt full for 4-5 hours after drinking it which was my number 1 goal. My number two goal was help losing weight by increasing my protein intake. I dropped 10lbs since I started taking this product and have dropped about 2.5% body fat. This adds to me thinking this is an effective product when coupled with a good workout program

(9)
Very simply I believe a protein is of good value when it costs less than $1.00/serving. This costs ~$0.96/serving in a 5lb tub so I consider this product to be of good value

Side Effects

(10)
No noticeable side effects were felt.

Conclusion

(8/10)
Overall, this is a good product that did a good job of keeping me full (goal number 1) as a breakfast meal replacement. There were some mixability issues that made the drink a little less than desirable but not to the point where I wouldn't buy another tub down the road. If you're looking for a meal replacement powder for a morning meal, I'd definitely recommend this product to anyone who asks for my opinion.

Overall
Overall
9.1
9.5
  December 21, 2014

I started off using ON 100% Whey in high school, and have also used BSN Syntha-6. Freshman year of college I switched to Phase 8 and have never went back. I have found many great deals on this product (buy 1 get 1 on bodybuilding.com frequently) and have liked the taste/consistency more than most proteins.

----Ingredient Profile (9)----
One of the great things about Phase 8 are the 6 protein sources (Milk Protein Concentrate, Whey Protein Concentrate, Micellar Casein, Calcium Caseinate, Hydrolyzed Whey Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Isolate). Its really a great protein to take at anytime of the day giving you fast and slow digesting proteins whether you take it right after a workout or before bed. This could save money for those who don't like spending money on a casein protein and whey protein both. 150 calories and 7 carbs is slightly higher than some of the other leading proteins but for me isn't much of a concern, however for some it may be a problem if you're really trying to cut.

Taste/Mixability/Dosing (9)

I love the taste of Phase 8. It is a very thick protein and almost tastes like a milk shake when mixed. A couple of my friends have told me they don't really like the consistency so that may be an issue for you if you don't prefer a thick protein, but I really enjoy it. I am not a fan of chocolate products so I typically order either strawberry or vanilla proteins. I always get the strawberry phase 8 and I can honestly say it is my favorite tasting protein. It mixes really easy with about 8oz water. I just throw a scoop in my shaker and give it about 4 shakes and there are no clumps or settling at all. With 26g of protein per scoop it provides a little more than most proteins (about 22g-24g).

Effectiveness (9)

In my opinion having a variety of protein blends really provides for optimal muscle growth. I take a scoop and a half after my workouts and a scoop before I go to bed everyday and I don't have many problems with soreness at all. Phase 8 has definitely helped me put on some good lean muscle over the last couple years I have taken it, being my fundamental supplement.

Value (10)

At base price of $44.37 for a 4.4lb tub its about .89 cents a serving which is a little cheaper than other leading proteins such as ON 100% whey (about .96) and cellucore (about .93). I have also almost every time bought it on sale on bodybuilding.com, buy one get one free on the 2lb tub and sometimes the 4.4lb tub. This really lowers the cost and is great.

Side Effects (8)

Obsessionally I have experienced gas when taking on an empty stomach but that's about it.

Conclusion

I love this protein and would recommend it to anyone. There are many good proteins out there but with the fast and slow digesting proteins in this product I think it gives it the edge by giving you the option of using it as your post-workout protein and pre-bedtime protein. Also the low price can be a real bonus for those looking to save a few dollars. The taste is great in my opinion and it has proven to be a very effective protein for me.
  • Very Macro Friendly
  • Digestion Problems

Overall
Overall
1.0
0.0
0.0
  February 18, 2014

I purchased Muscle Techs Phase 8 during a BOGO promotion on BB.com. I bought 2 tubs of Strawberry flavour.
Allow me to get straight to the point, I am sure this product is more than 50% creamer.This makes the product poor value, extremely fattening, impacts taste negatively,difficult to mix and impairs your results unless you are trying to bulk.
I used the Phase 8 mixed with water using a shaker at first.The product clumped mercilessly in to large clumps (testimony to it's high fat content.I then resorted to my magic bullet, again no dice,as long as I blended it, no matter how much water/milk was added, a water proof pocket of product always escaped.
The first few servings (say ten or so were palatable), then as I worked my way through the container I started gagging with each serving; not wanting to waste my money I soldiered on. The product would coat your mouth like chalk and slid down just as easily. The strawberry flavouring only prolonged the agony, making you painfully aware this garbage was still coating your mouth. A full glass of water after ingestion had to be gargled and swished like mouthwash to truly rinse this vile concoction from my mouth.
I actually gained weight on this and it wasn't muscle mass.Of course, there are some who would argue that I probably had a poor diet.However, my diet hadn't changed except for the Phase 8 and when I switched proteins the pounds came off, draw your own conclusions.
My final beef with this product, a casual observer using the product, can quickly ascertain that the profile claimed on the container is erroneous or down right deceptive. I find the claimed protein content of Phase 8 dubious given the taste, consistency, results etc. I have used Nitro tech before and was very pleased with it.
After this experience Muscle Tech has lost my trust. I haven't had the opportunity yet but when I get a chance I would like to pass on a sample to a friend at a pharmaceutical company so he can run it through a spectrometer etc. and let me know how badly I was ripped off.
In conclusion, if this was unflavoured it would be more suited for your morning coffee (except it probably wouldn't mix without clumping up) and the positive reviews on here are more than likely fabricated (not bashing anyone or singling them out).
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Great For A Homemade Gainer`
  • Deceptive Labeling
  • Poor Ingredients
  • Overpriced
  • Chalky Taste
  • Powdery
  • Takes Forever To Mix

October 21, 2013

Now as I mentioned in my PUSH10 review, this was not something I went out and bought, instead I won two 5lb tubs of this along with several other products during a MuscleTech/Bodybuilding.com giveaway. Now lets jump into this review with the taste, which as always will be rated in different ways.

Milk 7/10 The flavor I received was Milk Chocolate, it wasn't bad at all, but I wasn't a huge fan and after awhile it does become a bit too bland. It was probably partially because of the fact it takes forever to mix and I usually didn't have the patience. Another issue with the taste was it seemed to taste a bit more like dark chocolate instead of Milk Chocolate, and I hate dark chocolate. Gotta admit though, the taste grew on me after awhile and I found several ways of using this protein that made me like it even more. They want you to mix this with 7-8oz of liquid but I found using 12oz gave it a much better and MUCH smoother taste.

Water 5.5/10 Not good, not bad, but I was only able to do this a few times. In water its chalky and too thin for my liking. While other chocolate proteins can usually do a decent job of masking the fact you used water instead of milk, this did exactly what you would expect, gave me chocolate water, not something to enjoy.

The best taste I found was with 12oz chocolate milk and 2 pasteurized eggs mixed in (making it 8.5/10), throw in a serving of peanut butter and you got a mini gainer shake that's incredible tasting.

Mixability 5/10 Wow this took a lot of shaking, and I mean a lot, which is very odd since it has such an extremely fine powder. A regular shaker bottle simply wont cut it, a lot of shaking with a blender bottle and it becomes pretty smooth after 5 minutes of shaking, 5 minutes of sitting, and another 5 minutes of shaking but with a pretty awesome milkshake texture. If you don't give it enough time to fully dissolve it has a very gritty taste/texture to it that reminds me of a very cheap protein from late 90's/early 2000's.

Profile 7/10 Well its a pretty standard protein powder, nothing real special here but its protein, it doesn't have to have anything special added for it to work.

Per 1 scoop
Protein 26g
Calcium 20mg (2%)
Iron 1mg (6%)
And a Digestive Enzyme Matrix of Papain and Amylase, 50mg each

Value 5/10 Looking on AllStarHealth.com you can grab a 50 serving container for $50 or a 22 serving container for $30, that's more than I want to spend per serving for a protein unless it has a bunch of extras added to it, for a plain protein such as this, Id rather not. When compared to proteins such as Syntha-6, the price is just plain ridiculous

Side Effects were low, one only...protein farts. Now trust me, that's saying something for me since I have never had protein farts before, until I started using this protein (And anabolic Halo as well, different review all together).

And while not a Side Effect, be prepared to lick your fingers afterwards, the powder sticks to everything. If you take your completely dry hand and just lay it on top of the powder, when you pull it out you'll probably have enough for a full scoop just clinging to your hand, its really bad. It will also stick to the mouth opening of your blender bottle while mixing and when you pop the lid you will find a large clump surrounding the lip, especially if you used 2 scoops and a lot of liquid.

Bottom line: It tastes pretty good, it has a SLIGHTLY better profile than others, and it works. Would I recommend this product, perhaps if it was on sale, but its not something I will search for.
  • Great For A Homemade Gainer`
  • Takes Forever To Mix
  • Gritty Taste/texture
  • Digestion Problems

July 28, 2013

I got Phase8 from BB.com with one of their BOGO specials. The reviews below me do a good job on the technical aspects, so I'll try not to delve too much into that.

I spent 30 bucks for 2 lbs and saw that BB.com users had rated this stuff a 9.1/10, or something like that. Without hesitation, I ordered myself some of the vanilla.

Muscletech claims on their packaging no fillers. Then why are you adding taurine and maltodextrin?!?!! Seriously. This results in 26g protein, 7g carbs, and 2g fat. This is what you pay for, and after all you get what you pay for. This is why I rate the value a 5. If you're looking to keep carbs low during a cut, this won't be good for you.

Overall effectiveness is a 5. Protein is protein, though I'm upset about how they mention no fillers...Muscletech really shouldn't.

On the plus side, the vanilla flavor tasted like vanilla frosting and was quite delicious. But you're not supposed to drink protein for flavor, so I recommend choosing something more effective next time.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Tastes Like Frosting
  • Deceptive Labeling

3.0
  May 6, 2013

Phase8 is a blend of milk protein concentrate (supplying calcium caseinate and whey), whey protein concentrate, micellar casein, calcium caseinate, hydrolyzed whey protein isolate, and whey protein isolate. As with any protein powder, the effects of this product are fairly straightforward: it provides the body with an essential nutrient, protein. Protein powder serves as a convenient, tasty, high-quality, low-calorie way of reaching daily protein requirements. Exercising individuals require more protein than their sedentary counterparts, and the RDA values for protein have been firmly established as insufficient for athletes and active individuals. Protein powder is more of a matter of convenience than anything else, because it ensures that individuals get the right amount of protein each day.

Although there's really no staggering difference in the performance of popular types of protein on the market, I'm a huge fan of protein blends and I believe a mix of high-quality sources is the optimal choice. Given sufficient total protein for the day, it's highly unlikely to make any measurable difference whether a person is using whey, casein, or a blend. With that said, the combination of whey and casein should be superior to either in isolation. The whey provides a quick hit of aminos to boost protein synthesis, while the casein provides a longer source of aminos to blunt protein breakdown. You get a spike from the whey along with a sustained level from the casein, plus you get slightly different amino acid profiles. Despite the old bro belief that a purely fast protein is ideal post-workout, research supports that slow proteins or a combination of slow and fast proteins are more effective. Quoting from a study looking at the effects of a protein blend, "The timed release of amino acids into the circulation is associated with greater SMPS [skeletal muscle protein synthesis] rates and lean body mass gains. These authors attributed the benefits of the protein blend to differences in digestion rates that prolonged the increase in blood amino acid levels, resulting in greater muscle amino acid uptake. Blending [proteins] also creates a more balanced amino acid profile, specifically for BCAAs, glutamine, and arginine. This may confer an advantage because a more balanced amino acid profile might provide for a wider range of benefits (e.g., acid-base balance, growth hormone release, enhanced muscle blood flow, immunity) than a single protein source rich in only 1 or 2 of these key amino acids." Furthermore, a study on whey and casein found that fast proteins are burned off for energy to a greater degree than slower digesting proteins, and fast proteins are more absorbed by the gut. Their fast digestion speed leads to greater digestive losses, more oxidation via deamination, and provides less amino acids to skeletal muscle. These reasons are a big part of why slower digesting proteins invariably lead to better overall protein retention in the body.

The protein percentage of Phase8 is relatively low. A 42g scoop yields 26g of protein, making the formula 61.9% protein. Upon further examination, the actual protein percentage is likely even lower. The tub states that each serving contains 4.6g BCAAs. High-quality proteins contain 20-25% BCAA, so this doesn't add up if each scoop has 26g of protein. The amount should be 5.2-6.5g BCAAs. The explanation for this is simple: there are not 26g of protein per serving. I noticed taurine and glycine in the full list of ingredients, which are seemingly being counted as protein. Creatine has been used in this way as well, because these ingredients are less expensive than whey or casein. You may be wondering how companies are able to pull this off. When a protein supplement is tested for its protein content, the test measures the total amount of nitrogen in a sample and calculates the protein based on nitrogen levels. By adding ingredients that are high in nitrogen, the tests can be tricked into thinking a product is higher in protein than it really is. In reality, Phase8 probably has 18-23g of intact protein per scoop, and the formula is spiked with taurine and glycine to bolster the protein percentage. Taurine and glycine are cheap and adding them to the formula lowers the cost. This makes the ratio of BCAA content go down and raises the perceived protein content. The point of protein powder is protein, and when you purchase a product with these ingredients, it's important to realize that it subtracts from the total amount of protein that you're actually getting.

MuscleTech touts that "Phase8 has the unique ability to release amino acids in your bloodstream for 8 hours after taking it." This is true for micellar casein, which has been shown to provide amino acids for around 8 hours to the body. The problem with many protein blends is every protein source is lumped into a proprietary blend, and there's no way of truly knowing the proportions in the formula. I feel that micellar casein and whey protein isolate are the two best proteins in Phase8, but there is no mention about the quantities in which these are present. The FDA requires the dietary ingredients in a proprietary blend to be listed in order of predominance by weight, but manufacturers have found a way around this by grouping several ingredients into a blend, which moves them up the hierarchy of ingredients on the label. For example, the first ingredient in Phase8 is "Protein Blend" with 6 types of proteins listed in parenthesis. Only the total sum of this blend outweighs the next ingredient, and if the proteins weren't bundled together, most sources would probably be outweighed by the fillers and flavoring in Phase8. It's no surprise the least expensive proteins, milk protein concentrate and whey protein concentrate, are the first two proteins listed in the blend. Without the proprietary blend, the order on the ingredients list would be completely different, and micellar casein and whey protein isolate may very well be at the bottom of the list.

One thing that made me question the amount of casein in Phase8 is the calcium content. Casein is rich in calcium, yet there is a mere 20mg of calcium in Phase8. After comparing this to various pure casein products, I discovered that many of them provide around 500mg of calcium per serving. The primary source of casein in Phase8 is calcium caseinate coming from milk protein concentrate. Calcium Caseinate is generally regarded as inferior to micellar casein because it's denatured during processing. For this reason, I prefer micellar casein because it's more structurally intact. Whether or not this affects measurable physical outcomes has not yet been determined by clinical trials (i.e. comparing calcium caseinate versus micellar casein on healthy trainees). Regardless, I wish MuscleTech had used a higher quality milk protein isolate instead, which contains around 80% micellar casein. Additionally, calcium caseinate's digestion and absorption properties lie somewhere between those of whey and micellar casein, so it doesn't provide amino acids for up to 8 hours.

My final nitpick is that Phase8 is slightly higher in carbs than I normally like. It has 7g of carbs per serving, which isn't unreasonable, but I suspect this mostly comes from maltodextrin, a useless filler. If it weren't for the protein blend altering the order of ingredients, I imagine maltodextrin would be listed as the second or third most abundant ingredient. It's an empty-calorie carb that is added to take up space or contribute to the texture and mouth feel. In conclusion, there are lots of protein powders claiming a sustained release, but customers are usually not getting what they believe. Companies wish to avoid using substantial amounts of casein in their products because it's more costly than whey. If you're going to spend your hard earned money on a protein blend, it would be nice to know you're paying for a high-quality product.

The flavor I had was Milk Chocolate. Chocolate is such a basic and common flavor, and it's tough to make a chocolate protein powder stand out from the competition. Had Phase8 blown me away in the taste department, I might have been willing to mostly overlook my peeves with the formula. Unfortunately, it was nothing special. I've had worse, but this was basically cocoa and sweetener. The consistency wasn't as thick as I hoped it would be for a protein blend, which is another reason why I had doubts about the amount of casein. I liked that the powder was fluffy instead of grainy, even though it's a bit messy when scooping out of the tub. Overall, I don't see any reason why I would buy this product again or recommend it to others. As consumers, we have to decide whether we are willing to support a company that is taking advantage of our trust, and using labeling loopholes to make more money. An ingredient may test out as nitrogen, but this shouldn't give companies the liberty to call it a whole protein. At the very least, this method should be considered misleading, and quite possibly a legal violation. Given the issues with protein percentage, hidden ratios, carb content, and subpar taste, there are many things that need to be corrected with Phase8 in order for me to consider it in the future. Also, the price does not come close to accurately reflecting the quality. Even if this product were 50% off of the current price, I still don't think it would be worth the cash.
 Pros:
 Cons:
    • Deceptive Labeling
    • Poor Ingredients
    • Overpriced