Omega 4X SX-7 Black Onyx Reviews

By: MuscleTech

Omega 4X SX-7 Black Onyx is an Essential Fatty Acid manufactured by MuscleTech. It contains fats that must be obtained through diet. They serve a wide array of critical roles including cardiovascular, mental and joint health.

Overall
Overall
(SR paid for product; MuscleTech did not participate)
  May 21, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Reduced Inflammation
  • Improved Heart Health
  • Improved Brain Health

Not all omega/fatty acid supplements are created equal. This product has a high EPA ratio to help it stave off inflammation better than many others.

Hey- thanks for the fish oils Clippy!!

What's up SR? This review was made possible by the generosity of SR upper management! If you're like me, fish oils are probably a cornerstone of your supplement stack at all times. However, not all fish oils are created equal. What I look for when selecting a product in this category is a high EPA content, because it is the EPA fatty acid that provides the most benefit for reducing inflammation. Muscletech's Omega 4x SX-7 Black Onyx has more than double the EPA content as it does DHA, plus a third fatty acid I was previously unfamiliar with: DPA.

Each gel cap of Omega 4x SX-7 Black Onyx contains 1500mg of fish oil, including 1200mg of Omega-3 fatty acids, and specifically 750mg of EPA, 300mg of DHA and 150mg of DPA.

The difference between these types of fatty acids really boils down to their molecular weight or size. All three of these omega-3 fatty acids share the ability to reduce inflammation and improve cardiovascular health, but not equally as well. DHA is more adept at improving visual development and function. It is also the most common fatty acid in our brain and has shown to be effective at improving cognitive function and development as well.

EPA is a more novel fatty acid for our bodies. At a cellular level, DHA is abundant and found in every cell throughout the body-- EPA is not. EPA can effectively shut off the supply of arachidonic acid which is necessary for the production of eicosanoids that can cause inflammation, so if you're selecting a fish oil with the hope that it will reduce inflammation or make your joints feel better, you want to find one with more EPA than DHA.

DPA is a newer addition to the omega-3 party but has gotten a lot of attention for its potency. It has even stronger anti-inflammatory properties than both EPA and DHA, so it is a great thing to see if that, again, is your goal while taking an omega-3 supplement.

No taste to these, including after taste. No mixing is needed either.

I take my fish oils before bed. I'd typically take 3 and hit the sack. If you're taking these in the morning or any time during the day, you may find yourself more prone to fishy burps. Because I take these at night I really can't attest whether or not those are an issue, which is actually why I like to just take them at night anyway!

While taking Omega4x SX-7 Black Onyx I also went through a run of an aromatase inhibitor known to cause joint pain because of its drying effect. I am also very prone to knee soreness in my left knee and tennis elbow in my left elbow. The joint that reliably causes me the most discomfort is my right shoulder though. While taking this, my knee and elbow pain was completely eliminated. I've been off of it for about a week now and have already noticed the knee pain is back, so I do attribute the alleviation of the pain to this product. My elbow is still fine, but that is the least acute area that I regularly deal with. My shoulder pain was eliminated for about 75% of the run on the AI, but it did present itself pretty heavily towards the end. The drying effect of the AI is very potent though, so the fact that this product was able to keep it at bay as long as it did while also eliminating it in other areas entirely was very impressive to me. Inflammation is the only area I can really attest to. The underlying benefits of fish oil on my cardiovascular and neurological health are not noticeable, but I'm confident in the effects because of the impressive reduction in inflammation that was demonstrated while taking it.

I anticipated Omega 4x SX-7 Black Onyx to be much more expensive than it is. In some cases that's the truth and I found it for as much as $25.75 on eBay, but I also found it for as little as $6.99 at muscleandstrength.com. That's price is for 100 pills. I took 3 daily, so that's 33 servings plus an extra pill for good luck, at a cost of $0.21/serving. Given the benefits I experienced while taking this and its impressive impact on reducing joint inflammation, I would be glad to pay that all day!

Side Effects

None at all. No burps.

Conclusion

Overall, I'm very impressed with this. I think of MuscleTech as a company that's quick to hype its products and slow to deliver, but the last few I've taken have really worked quite well. This is far and away the most effective fish oil I've taken for reducing joint pain, and I have already ordered a new bottle. My only gripe is the name which I find to be very sensationalized for a product that is really quite simple. That said, if that were the only complaint I had about all my supplements, I'd be a happy camper!

Thanks again Clippy for selecting this and sending it out to me. It worked well and next time you might want to keep it for yourself!!

• MarsheS
      May 22, 2018 - Last Edited: 2018-05-22 01:17:48

Nice review, You forgot to mention that this product also has a lot of Vitamin D (1000IU) which should also help with bones, joints, etc. Also, this product will most likely be discontinued (I think the whole Black Onyx series is getting discontinued), this particular product expires in June (if all lots are the same), that's why it's very cheap so if someone wants to get it, get it now!

• onder18
      May 22, 2018

Awesome review Bro. I didn't know about the EPA and DHA differences before this review. Good information.

• bctuthill
      May 22, 2018

Thanks MarsheS, for the assist. Any idea why the line is being discontinued? That makes a lot of sense why it's so cheap rn!

Onder, thanks a lot. I just recently learned it myself!

• Clipper83
      May 23, 2018

MT makes new lines every couple of years as it is.

• MarsheS
      May 23, 2018

They introduce and discontinue line of products all the time, it's their business strategy. Only a small amount of their products survive (Nitro-Tech, Hydroxycut Elite) and now they are using those names to make more products (There are more than 10 of their products with Hydroxycut name and a lot of recent Nitro-Tech ones like NitroTech Ripped, Power, Nighttime, Casein Gold, etc).

If they keep doing that, I assume it's because it works for them, it's a comercial strategy. About the SX-7 Black Onyx series, it was their most expensive series (line of products). Most of them had interesting formulas (like the one you reviewed) but their pricing was extremely high. I don't know about their revenue for this series but I doubt it was successful.