NitroTech Crunch Bar Reviews

By: MuscleTech

Energy Supplements > Bars
NitroTech Crunch Bar is an Energy Bar manufactured by MuscleTech. It helps fuel your body by providing extra calories to increase muscle performance and endurance.
7.1

June 9, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Solid 65 G Bar
  • Often Found On Deals
  • Convenient
  • Dietary Fiber
  • Filling
  • Whey Protein Isolateconcentrate Mix
  • Good Taste Overall
  • A Bit Dry
  • Chalky And Chewy
  • Palm Oil

A solid protein bar from MuscleTech with a nice blend of whey protein isolate and whey protein concentrate. It contains dietary fiber and it is a versatile source of protein for keeping your macros up.

Hey SR team. Got a protein bar review for you today and I will be discussing the Crunch Bar series from NitroTech, made by MuscleTech. I work out 4 times a week usually, and to ensure that I get my daily macros I resort to protein bars. They are handy and good to have when you are on the go. You can have a bar in your pocket or in a bag and just eat it when you feel those cravings coming, something which is a bit harder when it comes to ordinary protein powder. Then you need milk or water, a shaker and you have to carry that around. Protein bars are just so much easier and convenient and they are a constant part of my supplement stack. Sometimes I take one bar after a workout to get some proteins and nutrients out in the system before I eat dinner, and sometimes I just take one at work or on my way home after work for reducing those cravings.

Per one 65 g bar you get;

Calories 240 (of which calories from fat 60)
Total fat 7 g (of which saturated fat 4 g, trans fat 0 g)
Cholesterol 20 mg
Sodium 350 mg
Total carbohydrate 24 g
Sugars 5 g
Sugar alcohols 3 g
Dietary fiber 5 g
Protein 22 g
Vitamin A 2 %, Vitamin C 2 %, Calcium 6 %, Iron 4 %

The protein comes from whey protein isolate and whey protein concentrate, which is a nice and balanced mix of slower digesting and faster digesting protein. The macros overall are good and with 5 g of dietary fiber you are certain that you will be more satiated than otherwise, plus it is healthier overall. You also got some maltitol, soy protein isolate and vegetable oils (palm, palm kernel and soy). The bars are gluten free for those who are looking for that alternative.

I have tried 3 flavors; the vanilla birthday cake, cookies & cream and the chocolate peanut butter version. The birthday cake was not only the best tasting bar; it was one of the absolutely best tasting bars ever! So, not only was every occasion a treat, it also became a little stroll down Memory Lane, since the taste strongly reminded me of the taste of an ice cream topping I had on my vanilla ice cream when I was a kid. It was almost identical so I got a good deal of nostalgia with each and every one of those bars. Cookies and cream was also really nice, not on par with the birthday cake, but still good. There are some nice pieces of cookies inside as well, which adds to the enjoyment of eating these bars. I give this one an 8 out of 10. The chocolate peanut version was the worst of the three. I learned to enjoy them, but the first 3-4 bars were not enjoyable to say the least. They had a dry and kind of weird after taste and they were too chewy. You would almost need a glass of water to get down every bite! But as I said, I learned to like them and they got better and better. Overall, I give them a 5 out 10 rating. The bars also come in cinnamon bun flavor and chocolate chip cookie dough flavor. No mixability since these are protein bars. Dosing? Well, you eat one when you feel up to it! Simple as that.

I evaluate effectiveness seen from a macro nutrient perspective and from how they made me full or not. Convenience can of course also be incorporated into an effectiveness section. These 65 g bars are pretty solid and they kept me full for quite some time actually, and I usually have a great appetite. The mix of WPI and WPC ensures that you get proteins out fast to your muscles after a workout, and then some proteins from WPC come trickling to your blood stream under an extended period of time. I think that the macros are good, both from a bulking perspective and for someone on a more restricted diet. I like the addition of dietary fiber, which makes the bar a bit healthier than other bars. They provided me with a nice feeling and a little extra boost in the late afternoon. So, for what they are; they were effective in providing me with extra nutrients, they kept me pretty full and they were convenient sources for mixed proteins.

These bars come in boxes of 12 bars. Depending on where you look you can find them for all kinds of price ranges. On Muscle & Strength.com you pay $ 24.99 for a box which comes down to $ 2.08 per bar. They also have a buy 1 get 1 for free right now as I'm writing this review. On Bodybuilding.com a box goes for $ 27.49, which is $ 2.29 per bar. Also, on Amazon you can buy a box for around $ 24. So, the value is okay, it is around the mid 20 dollar mark or slightly over it. But MuscleTech usually have some nice deals so be on the look out for those if you are interested in these bars. I found them on sale and if I remember correctly I paid around $ 11-12 per box, not bad at all.

Side Effects

Conclusion

If you like protein bars with mixed protein variants in it (WPI & WPC) and with some added fiber, these would be a great alternative. They are easy to come by, they are often sold on deals and they are good tasting. What's not to like? Sure, they were a bit dry, chewy and chalky, especially the chocolate peanut butter version, but the macros are great. Birthday cake was superb! I can certainly recommend these bars, especially if you find them on a BOGO or another deal.
  • Birthday Cake : 10/10
  • Cookies & Cream: 8/10
  • Chocolate Peanut Butter: 5/10

May 9, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Excellent Value
  • Whey Protein Blend
  • Sandy And Chalky Texture
  • Artificial Coloring
  • Slightly More Sugar Than Other Bars

Nice bar in a lot of aspects, the texture ruined everything

I often use protein bars when I don't have the time for a proper meal -on a regular time. Protein bars contain a healthy amount of proteins, and mostly not much fat and sugar. I count on them to keep me full for quite some time in a healthy manner and provide some basic macro's and in a perfect world they keep you away from unhealthy alternatives. I have tried different bars before and saw a price cut on Muscletech's nitro crunch. Although I am not a big fan of Muscletech I decided to give them a try. What can go wrong with a protein bar I figured. On a side note; I noticed some clearances on these bars. Not sure if they are being discontinued. As for now, you can still buy them at different online shops.

The ingredient profile is pretty straight forward with a total of 240 calories. I noticed the ingredients differ depending on the flavour. I listed the ingredients from the cookies & cream.
22 grams of Protein (Whey Protein Concentrate, Milk Protein Isolate)
7 grams of fat (4 saturated)
20 mg of cholesterol
Vitamin C 2%
Calcium 6%
Iron 4%
Artificial Flavor, FD&C Red No. 40, FD&C Blue No. 1, FD&C Yellow No. 5

The taste was plain awful. It was not so much the taste, but more the texture. Another review on SR (bzyczek) talked about the sandy texture. This texture is what ruined the whole experience. I got three boxes on sale, three different flavors, and all where the same (birthday cake, cookies & cream, chocolate peanut butter)

To judge a protein bar I think there are three main goals to watch : ingredient profile, goal realization and flavor. To start with the goal, the bars do get macro's in and curb your appetite. It is a handy and reasonably healthy snack and satisfies your hunger sensation for quite a while without any side effects like bloating. The ingredient profile is not bad either. The amount of protein is alright and you have added fibres. There is however a bit more sugar in this bar compared to other popular bars and there are some artificial flavour and dyes going on in here. The most essential downfall on the Nitro tech bars is there taste. They taste sandy or chalky which made me really dread them. I tastes like a bag of crayons in your mouth. I really considered throwing them away and actually did with the last couple of them. (if it was a whole box I would have put them up for adoption on SR) Of course this has to do with personal preference. I saw other Troop's who seem quite fond of the crunch bars.

Nitrotech crunch bars are not expensive at all. As with most Muscletech products, there's always a sale, limited time price cut or BOGO deal somewhere. The regular price is cheapest at Amazon with 16 dollars a box. That's only 1,33 a bar. Compared to other bars with the same amount of protein that's really a steal.

Side Effects

Conclusion

To conclude, I really hated these bars. I worked my way through three boxes of different flavors and felt relieved when I tossed the last couple of bars in the garbage can. As I said, this is mostly based on personal preference. A person that's ok with the chalky texture Nitrotech crunch bars are a perfect option especially price wise. There is a bit more sugar and some artificial colouring in them which I know some people really try to avoid. if they could find a way to improve the texture I would buy them again but for now it's a definite no for me

December 16, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Excellent Value
  • Tasty Treat
  • Whey Protein Blend
  • Sandy Texture

I'm a 39 year old gym rat who still has a sweet tooth. What can I say, I never grew up from it. I like to have something sweet once in a while but recently after being serious about working out I had to fall off from the sweets. Now that I got in into protein bars my sweet tooth has been reactivated. So I'm actively trying out new bars and enjoying them at the same time. While I indulge I'm also happy that my macros are being met. So when BlakePullen on this website showed me an offer 12 bars for 14$ I couldn't refuse and bought 2 packs for myself.

So this bar has a big kudos even before trying because they did not use soy protein as their protein blend. Although, I'm concerned that later in their list it say Soy protein isolate ... If I remember correctly they use soy protein for their cooking purposes ... I still don't like it.

Here are the numbers ...

7 grams of fat which 4 of them are saturated.
20 mg of cholesterol
24 grams of Carbohydrates and 5 of them are coming of from fiber, and 5 are from sugar
22 grams of Protein
lastly 350 mg of sodium.

These numbers are pretty good comparing them to other bars. They are better than for example RCSS that are second.

I purchased the Chocolate Peanut Butter flavor since I'm a big PB fan. Usually that's what I go with so that when I do reviews on taste I know what I'm working with. I tried RCSS peanut butter and many others so I have a good range of good and bad in this taste department. I have to say that I rate these bars at the higher scale for it's taste. I like the addition of these crunch pieces that are outside of the bar since it gives a little more depth to the bar itself. The bar is pretty good but you do feel that sandy taste that comes with most protein bars. Usually when you eat those inexpensive bars you know what I'm talking about. The only time I did not experience that is when the bar was "baked" instead of its traditional process (not sure what it is).

I'm probably going to repeat what everyone else is saying about protein related products. It's hard to judge them. What I'm looking for in a bar is the taste, the protein quality and did it help me feel full. The answer is yes, I did enjoy the taste of this bar ... I'm not sure about trying the other flavors .. I might want to expend my horizons. I feel that the quality of the protein blend is top notch but I'm worried about the soy protein isolate being listed. Just briefly on the negatives; soy protein looses most of its nutrients during the process, it contains additives that it got from spraying etc., and lastly it is probably genetically modified. The blend looks good though, it has whey protein isolate, whey protein concentrate and milk protein isolate. Does this bar helped me stay full, sure it did ... 22 grams of protein does give your stomach some work. I like the addition of fiber in this bar which always helps out.

I personally bought these for 14$ for 12 bars .. that's a steal. I can see that depending on the flavor you can get this roughly for 22$ per box of 12. That comes out to 1.83$ per bar. That's not bad but they are usually on sale. Right now muscleandstrength.com has bogo on it where you can get 2 for 1. So if you pay 30$ for two boxes that will come to 1.25$ per bar ... can't be beat. I would have given 10 for value if I knew these sales would always be "alive".

Side Effects

Nothing that I experienced other than a tooth ache :P

Conclusion

In my opinion Muscletech did a good job with these bars. I like the taste a lot and I think when these are on sale it's a steal. I'm tempted to try other flavors if I see them again on sale since the PB flavor did not champion over RCSS. I liked the crunch in this bar well enough, but it did not take me to that taste bud heaven like RCSS did with their baked bars. Again, I'm only comparing the peanut butter flavor. I personally think that over all these bars are top notch and are in top 3 on my list of favorites. I thank you for reading this and wish you sweet holidays.