Nitro-Tech Performance Series Reviews

By: MuscleTech

Protein > Whey Protein
Nitro-Tech Performance Series is a Whey Protein Powder manufactured by MuscleTech. It is a dairy based protein that supports lean muscle gain by suppling additional protein to recovering muscles, which can also improve fat loss.
7.1

June 29, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Mixes Great
  • Contains Creatine
  • Wide Variety Of Flavors
  • Tastes Great
  • Amino Spiked
  • Crazy Claims
  • Contains Creatine

Hey guys, another review here this time I have a very nostalgic product - MuscleTechs ultra hyped NitroTech. To be fair its not that extremely over hyped as it once was where top pros were used as their tactic to gain sales and mislead the consumer. Their outrageous claims in the past must have worked since I used to use it lol. Seeing that there are so many new flavors and it was on special I decided to jump on this once again.

Serving Size: 1 Scoop (44g)
Servings Per Container Approx.21

Iron .71mg
Sodium 160mg
Nitro-Amino Matrix
L-Leucine 3.2g
(as Whey Protein, L-Leucine)
L-Isoleucine 1.9g
(as Whey Protein, L-Isoleucine)
L-Valine 1.8g
(as Whey Protein, L-Valine)
Scientifically Studied Musclebuilder
Creatine Monohydrate 3g

Other Ingredients:
Isolate Protein & Peptide Blend (Whey Protein Isolate, Whey Peptides, Whey Protein Isolate 97%), Whey Protein Concentrate , Cocoa (Processed With Alkali), Chocolate Cookie Crumbs (Rice Flour, Sugar, Cocoa (Processed With Alkali), Tapioca Starch, Palm Oil, Corn Starch, Natural Flavors, Salt, Sodium Bicarbonate, Soy Lecithin), Natural And Artificial Flavors, Soy or Sunflower Lecithin, Gum Blend (Cellulose , Xanthan, Carrageenan), Enzyplex (Papain, Amylase), Salt, Silicon Dioxide, Sucralose, Acesulfame-Potassium.

Being that MT sadly use a "Nitro-Amino Matrix" to boost their protein reading I cannot fully trust this blend, whose to say its primarily an isolate blend by it just being the first in line - it may be 99% concentrate so I guess this leaves me feeling a bit uneasy. Nitrotech has been around a long ass time but not for this reason. The addition of creatine monohydrate can be seen as both a negative and a positive. Positive in the respect that creatine mono is the most tried and test form of creatine and having a serving or 2 a day of Nitro tech probably would yield some effects after time but so many products contain creatine that its more or less a annoyance- well to me it was.

Taste

All were mixed with full cream milk, which made it taste better.

Lucky Marshmallow 9.5/10
An amazingly accurate taste that mimics lucky charms, its a sweet yet rich vanilla based drink - those sugary bits do hit the sugars hit 5grams but nonetheless this this is easily one of the tastiest shakes I have ever had. My expectations were not high due to the milk choc tasted like it was sour. If you like the taste of lucky charms your in damn luck.

Decadent brownie cheesecake 9/10
Another amazing taste, this is definitely a richer taste that retains its sweetness which I really did enjoy. This contains cookie crumbs which I was not expecting definitely worthwhile especially if you like richer chocolate taste.

Mocha Cappuccino Swirl 9/10
Like mentioned above, this has a nice mixture of sweetness and a nice presence of mocha which is pretty strong but I would say this was my least favorite since I am a sucker for rich chocolate and lucky charms lol.

Mixability

Nitro tech mixes so well, okay well is an understatement. This mixes great! I was curious to see how this mixes with those sugary bits in the lucky marshmallow and to my surprise the bits remained whole and there was no clumping at grit left behind. One of the better protein blends when it comes down to the mixibility.

1 scoop with 6/8 oz of milk or water. This can be used pre or post as well.

Well again its pretty hard to assess the effectiveness since I used it in the AM. But as a meal as such it was very enjoyable and filling, this is also due to the whole milk used as well. I hardly felt hungry and made it to my next meal with no issues. As with most protein blends indigestion can be an issue luckily this wasn't the case with nitro tech, I had no indigestion or bloating. The claims with Nitro Tech still seem a bit leading with it claiming 70% superiority over regular whey protein which others will look at and expect gainz straight away, simply stating its superior to whey is cool but when you throw percentages people expect a ton.

I guess to me protein powders are a simple and effective way to hit your macros and save time. The addition of creatine mono may or may not have helped I am not too sure as there are so many contributing factors to mention but I would saying using this as a pre workout meal or post workout shake would definitely assist in recovery and strength due to the addition of creatine mono and the 30/60g of protein. But for my intentions it was a good meal that tasted amazing and kept hunger at bay. If this was gonna be a real muscle builder than I'd have betaine and HICA along side creatine mono but then again the taste would have been ruined.

Here is the down side, a tub with 20 servings sets you back around $31.97 or $1.60 a serving which is pretty pricey considering a tasty whey such as USN blue lab whey $25.99 for 27 servings which is $0.96 a serving. If I compare these 2 I would take the blue lab whey due to the fact its no nonsense and tastes great. Nowadays I become aware that price matters, it certainly carries its weight in the taste department though, but if your buying it for gains then you have made the list, lol.

Side Effects

Conclusion

A really tasty protein that certainly makes my list when it comes to taste. I would say that muscletech has too many nitrotech products that are now leading people away from the original Nitro tech which isn't a good thing - they have built a rather infamous reputation for making the most effective supplements which is a far cry from the truth. I cant really recommend this as I feel nothing apart from the taste sets it apart, until theres a price drop and they throw away the concept of lying and spiking then I may see it being worthwhile. I would wait for it to be on a bogo or near expiry when the price is low.

Fridge
  • Lucky Marshmallow: 9/10
  • Decadent brownie cheesecake: 9/10
  • Mocha Cappuccino Swirl: 9/10

July 10, 2015

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Mostly Isolates
  • Mixes Great
  • Likely Amino Spiked

I recently had an opportunity to try this protein and gave it a shot...because can you ever really have enough protein on hand?

At first glance the label looks good:

140 Cal
1.5g fat
1g carbs
30g protein, isolate/concentrate blend, primarily from isolates.

Then there are some questionable things listed seperately:
Creatine 3g
Alanine 2g
Glycine 1g
Taurine 1g

The second part of the label looks suspiciously like amino spiking to me. I'm ok with the creatine, as long as it's not counted as protein (which I suspect it is in this case), but the other aminos are classic cheap ingredients used to dupe a protein test. Props for trying to sell us on them though. They even list some info about each of these other aminos on the back of the can, expounding the virtues of these wonderful amino acids for building muscle. No doubt they are important, as are all the amino acids, but telling me they are more important than BCAAs (which are much more expensive) is ridiculous. If Alanine was as great as Leucine I'm pretty sure we all would have heard about it by now. In short, I don't believe for a second there is 30g of protein in this product. How much is there in actuality? Who knows! But I figure there is still probably got to be 15-20g of actual protein and if it's closer to 20g that's at least decent.

It also has a gum blend it of Cellulose gum, Xanthan gum, and Carrageenan. Although I'm never big on these ingredients because they aren't really necessarily, it's something I can tolerate in a lower priced concentrate product. However, in a higher quality more expensive isolate based product it becomes something that really annoys me.

I do like that it is low calorie and has some digestive enzymes, which are also a welcome addition to any protein.

Taste

I had Vanilla and I really did not enjoy the taste. I mixed it with as little water as possible and chugged it every time. I always ate something right after to get the taste out of my mouth. Overly sweet on the front end and very bitter on the back end; it tasted like spoiled milk. It was doable for a 2lb tub but I'm not sure if I could have dealt with it any longer though.

Mixability

This product did mix very well. No excessive foam or clumps. It mixed smooth every time, even in cold water, with only a few shakes of my blender cup. This was one of the best things about it.

I used 1 scoop as part of my breakfast every day, usually along with a banana or small granola bar. I had a different, higher quality protein I used pre and post workout.

I mean, it helped me reach my protein goals overall. So it did help support recovery and muscle growth. I'm not going to directly attribute any gains to the product, as I can't really imagine doing with any protein product. It just doesn't work that way. The rating is low here due to the fact that I do not believe there was 30g of protein in each scoop, thus reducing it's effectiveness over what it would have been.

Side Effects

Another strong point of this product! I did not have any gas, bloating, runs to the bathroom, or any other issues with it. This leads me to believe that, even though it's probably spiked, what is in it is of decent quality.

Price

Regular price, you're going to give $25-30 for the 2lb tub, which is 25 servings. Normally, that would be a great price for 750g of isolate based protein. But again, I really doubt those numbers are accurate so everything kind of goes out the window.

I found some value in this because I picked it up on a close dated sale. For what I payed for it, even likely being spiked, it was a good value. If you are going to pay regular price for it then in no way shape or form will it be a good value.

Conclusion

Bottom line, unless you find a ridiculous sale price like me, spend your money on a different protein. There are plenty of other proteins out there that are proven to be free of amino spiking, that cost the same amount of cash or cheaper. Don't buy into the Muscletech marketing. I bet they spend more money on marketing than they do on their products. You have to when you put out an inferior product like Nitro-Tech.

August 7, 2014

Okay I'm sure, or I at least hope, a lot of you have been reading up on amino spiking in protein powders. It's a topic that really has me heated because these companies we all love and treat have been LYING to our faces. I won't waste any time and just dive into it.

Profile-4/10(taken from BB.com)
Sodium 160mg 7%
Super Amino Strength Matrix
Creatine Monohydrate 3g †
L-Alanine 2g †
(As L-Alanine, Whey Protein Isolate And Whey Protein Concentrate)
Glycine 1g †
(As Glycine, Whey Protein Isolate And Whey Protein Concentrate)
Taurine 1g †
Enzyplex
Papain 50mg †
Amylase 50mg †
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
† Daily Value not established
Other Ingredients:
Whey Protein Isolate (Supplying Whey Protein Isolate And Hydrolyzed Protein Isolate), Protein And Amino Acid Matrix (Whey Protein Concentrate [Ultra-Filtered], L-Valine, L-Leucine, L-Isoleucine, L-Glutamine), Natural And Artificial Flavors, Cream-Filled Chocolate Cookie Pieces (Enriched Flour [Wheat Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid], High Oleic Canola Oil And/Or Palm Oil And/Or Canola Oil And/Or Soybean Oil, Alkalized Cocoa, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Corn Starch, Leavening Agent [Baking Soda And/Or Calcium Phosphate], Salt, Gum Blend (Cellulose Gum, Xanthan Gum, Carrageenan), Soy Lecithin, Acesulfame Potassium, Sucralose.

Okay I'll start with the positives here; WPI as the main protein source is a good thing to see listed first. That's about all the good stuff I have to say here. I call them out right now, THIS PROTEIN IS AMINO SPIKED!!! What that means is that when they calculate how much protein is in a serving they calculate the nitrogen it gives off, however adding amino acids AND creatine, beta alanine, and things of that sorta will raise this number. So bottom line when they say 30g of protein that also includes the 3g of creatine, the L-Valine, L-Leucine, L-Isoleucine, L-Glutamine, L-Alanine, Glycine, and Taurine. So how much protein are we really getting here? I couldn't really tell you but it's going to be a lot less than 30g.

Effectiveness-6.5/10
For me at least the creatine mono really hurt my stomach and honestly I didn't really notice anything insane in turns of extra recovery or anything along those lines.

Overall-5/10
Mainly I was writing this review to shed some light on a very serious topic in the supplement world. I do like muscle tech as a company and I do think they have some very solid product, however this is not one of them. Being lied to by a company I've giving my hard earned money do is a slap in the face. There is no need for it, just list the real protein content of your protein and the separate amino acids. If there is only 15g of protein in there so be it at least we know what were getting.

October 22, 2012

• Mostly Isolates
  • No Proprietary Blends
    How's everyone doing?

This review had been a long time in the making. As most of you know, MuscleTech has rebounded quite well with their newer products and this is one of them. When it comes to protein, I am usually loyal to Optimum Nutrition, but when I saw the profile of this I decided to give it a shot, and I was quite pleased with it.

A Quick Summary of Ingredients:
    140 Calories
    30g of Protein
    1.5g of Fat
    1g of Carbs
    3g of Creatine Monohydrate

Here is a link to the full label:

Taste/Mixability: 10/10
    I had the Cookies and Cream flavor and it taste absolutely great. Just like an Oreo and in fact this had little Oreo pieces in it or so the product claims. It mixed very well, but the Oreo pieces got kind of annoying.

Effectiveness of a protein product is fairly hard to judge because a lot more factors than just the protein go into muscle building and recovery, but with that being said I thought this product was effective. It contained 3 grams of Creatine Mono which may have possibly helped add a little bit of muscle. When it comes to digestive issues, there were no issues. Not once did I get the McGurgles from this product nor did I ever get gassy which is a huge plus when you have to sit in class all day.

I got the 4lb tub off of bodybuilding.com. I do not remember exactly what I paid because I got it on sale when it first cam out but right now it is 59.62 for a 4lb tub(50 servings) coming out to about 1.19 per serving. Considering the main ingredient in the protein profile is isolates and the fact that it has a little bit of creatine in it makes me think that the value is not that bad.

Side Effects 10/10
    I really had no negative side effects with this product.

While I was taking this protein, I also used:
    Modern BCAA
    Jack3d Micro, NO Bull
    D-Pol
    and 5g of Creapure the last 2 weeks.

I was lifting 5 days a week with the 6th day being an HIIT Cardio day. My diet was also fairly clean, Egg whites, Oatmeal, Chicken, Rice, and Turkey.

Overall I was very pleased with this product. MuscleTech has really turned things around and this is just another product to further verify that. I was pleased with what I got out of the product, with that being said I would consider buying this again, but it depends on my financial situation because this is not exactly the cheapest product, but for what is in it it is not a bad price either. I would definitely recommend this product to anyone else, especially those who are MuscleTech haters.