Shatter SX-7 Black Onyx Reviews

By: MuscleTech

Pre-Workout > Pump
Shatter SX-7 Black Onyx is a Pump Product manufactured by MuscleTech. It is meant to increase blood flow, muscle pumps and increase vascularity. It can be stacked with a stimulant based pre-workout for an added stimulant effect. This promotes an environment for increased muscle mass and fat loss.

Overall
Overall
9.3
9.3

Pros:
 Cons:

I am a veteran used to 5 am workouts and the necessary stimulant boost required to maximize those workouts and not crash during the day, now I'm also a father of young kids, so caffeine is a trusted friend. I want a product that uses clinically studied ingredients at clinical dosages, I'm not paying for products based off marketing, I'm paying for the science-backed, expected results.

How did you find SR?
    I found SR researching products in an attempt to verify the ingredients/dosages claimed were legitimate and effective, and when I realized how misleading product marketing was, and how so many products contain non-clinical doses of key ingredients, I knew I wanted to write reviews for SR to help consumers make informed decisions.

What prompted you to write this review?
    When I was in the military I trusted bodybuilding.com reviews, which are good, but often generic, and thought that products that with lots of positive reviews must be legitimate. After buying a few products that would be better as placebo's I decided to get smart and start reading clinical studies to maximize my results. I've learned that many people trust a particular supplement company and neglect looking at the ingredients/dosages to verify the claims so my mission is to remain brand agnostic and focus on the ingredients, because that is what truly matters.

What are your fitness goals?
    Currently, I'm trying to cut weight for the first time in my adult life, using knowledge gained from 3 years of college sports, and almost a decade of military service.

What other products are you planning to review?
    Personally, I love Muscletech's Peak ATP, I think it is the best supplement on the market. I'm using several different amino acids at the moment to determine which one helps me the best, so a review on my favorite amino will be forthcoming.

One of the things I love about Shatter Black Onyx is that they don't use blends. Anyone familiar with supplements in general knows that many companies utilize blends in their products where multiple ingredients are blended together but the consumer is only provided with the overall amount of the blend in milligrams. This doesn't work for me. I want to know dosages of every ingredient to determine if I am receiving a clinically studied (and therefore effective) dose of that ingredient. Shatter Black Onyx tells you exactly how many milligrams of each ingredient is in one scoop, and they break the ingredients into 2 categories, one for performance and one for neuro-sensory matrix. The performance ingredients are two of my favorites, Beta-alanine (CarnoSyn) and PEAK ATP. Beta-alanine is known for increasing blood flow and improving performance in the gym. The 1600mg provided is half of a clinical dose, but incredibly effective. Beta-alanine will cause redness in the arms and face (as blood flow increases) and causes a tingling, almost itchy sensation in those same areas. I love beta-alanine because it works for me, and its an easy way to know if your product has effective doses. As I mentioned previously, PEAK ATP is my favorite supplement on the market. Muscletech includes half a clinical dose in each serving of Shatter Black Onyx (a full clinical dose is 400mg), and I have found that 200mg of PEAK works very well for me. PEAK is designed to boost your mTOR pathway and keep you in a muscle building state longer. I have found that coming off of a caffeine cleanse (I usually stay off caffeine every other month to cleanse my adrenal system and improve my sensitivity to the pre-workout) it takes 4 days PEAK ATP to start working. For me, that means I average 3 extra repetitions per set when I am on Shatter. That is huge! PEAK also improves my endurance, I've noticed that I can maintain effectiveness and intensity for up to 90 minute workouts with no crash. I literally feel like the Hulk in the gym with Shatter.

On to the neuro-sensory matrix. 200mg of caffeine is equal to 2 cups of coffee, which combined with the 20mg of yohimbe extract provides a big stimulant boost, but fear not, muscletech also provides 37.5mg of skullcap extract. Skullcap extract is used for its anti-anxiety effects, which here ensures that the caffeine doesnt give you the jitters, just sustained energy for your workout. If you have tried regular Shatter SX-7, you will notice that it doesnt have skullcap extract and the some people do get the jitters. So Muscletech increased the caffeine in Shatter Black Onyx but the skullcap extract helps you workout longer. 100mg of myristica fragrans is also included for its mental focus and alertness. This is a big plus for morning workouts. Finally, satsuma orange concentrate is used an effective anti-oxidant to help your cells release the oxidants built up during exercise. This product can be used in the morning or afternoon, but depending on your caffeine sensitivity I would not recommend it for evening workouts, unless you like going to bed at 2am!

Taste (10/10) There are four flavors out at the moment, Blue Raspberry Blast (which is surprisingly good), Ice Rocket Freeze (my personal favorite - it tastes like the kids rocket popsicles), Cherry Limeade (I havent tried this yet), and Fruit Punch (which tastes like most fruit punch flavored supplements, not very good). Blue Raspberry and Ice Rocket have a little bit of sweetness, don't overtly taste like extracts, and go down well. Easily the best pre-workout I've ever tasted.

Mixability (10/10) To be honest, it has been at least 4 years since I've had a preworkout that didnt mix well, and Shatter did not disappoint. Literally 2 shakes in my shaker with about 6 ounces of water was all it took. There were no clumps or grittiness, just good-tasting pre-workout.

Dosing (10/10) Even though the beta-alanine and PEAK ATP were half of the clinical doses, I actually found this to be a perfect dose and provide me with the energy, endurance and focus to complete any workout. I scoop is definitely enough for the vast majority of people. If you find yourself needing 2 scoops then I would strongly recommend doing an adrenal cleanse and taking a month off of caffeine.

10/10 - this is the best pre-workout I have ever taken, and I usually keep 2 tubs of this at home. I stock up with BOGO sales. In the Muscletech clinical studies, the people on PEAK ATP gained 8.8lbs of muscle over 12 weeks and increased strength by 147%. I have found this to be true, I have increased my weight and repetitions since I started taking PEAK and as I mentioned before my endurance is definitely increased. PEAK ATP is what takes this from a good pre-workout to the top 1%.

8.5/10 - Depending on where you buy this it can go from $55 - $100 for 60 servings, which is why I recommend looking for BOGO sales to maximize your dollars and stock up for 4 months of top-tier pre-workout. Having said that, the price is commensurate with the quality of ingredients, and you definitely get your money's worth with the quality of ingredients and their effectiveness. This is an easy buy.

Side Effects

10/10 - The only side effect, other than gains and increased endurance, is the aforementioned tingling/itching caused by beta-alanine. I love this feeling so for me this is a net positive.

Conclusion

10/10 - This is the best pre-workout I have ever used and I love it. The ingredients are complementary, high-quality, and in excellent dosages. I gained muscle, had increased endurance and energy all day without a crash. I love this pre-workout and will always keep a tub at home!

• AS79
      July 5, 2016

This sounds like a promotion, especially the effectiveness section.

• ODAAT365
      July 5, 2016

Anyone halfway familiar with supplements would know that Muscletech is not a top quality company. It's very suspicious that you claim that you have been mislead by marketing in the past and by products with non-clinical doses. Then you write a glowing review of one of the worst offending companies who engages in misleading marketing on a product that does not contain effective doses of anything, even a basic like Beta - Alanine. And on top of that you even cite a study claimed on the bottle for Peak ATP which I guarantee was funded by Muscletech themselves. So this is either a really well done fake review or you have really been duped by this company into thinking you have a good product in your hand.

• MarsheS
      July 6, 2016

It's clearly a paid/fake review lol, not because it's MuscleTech though. The Peak ATP ingredient is interesting, I've tried it and I liked it. But still, this review is fake, don't believe you.

• SkinnyFat
      July 6, 2016

If it's a fake review it's well written , I'll give him that, especially when he calls out the other companies for doing the stuff muscle tech is very guilty of haha

• July 7, 2016

Thanks for the feedback, this is actually my experience from taking hundreds of servings of shatter. For me, peak atp is the best supplement out there and it makes shatter much more effective. Every company does deceptive or fake marketing, I made no claims otherwise. I actually provided my anecdotal experience with Shatter and I provided muscletech's clinical study. There are actually clinical studies out there on the effectiveness of atp, which Muscletech, muscle meds, and others provide in their products. Stinks you guys blasted my rep due to your personal opinions of a company and not the validity of the review though.

• July 7, 2016

Also, it is kind of offensive that you are putting me on blast for my first product review just because I have had positive experiences with a product. I would never write a paid review for this website, this website introduced me to quality supplements. Please keep an eye out for my next review on Shred Jym, another product I absolutely love...because it also works better than every other fat burner I've used, and I would appreciate constructive feedback!

• ODAAT365
      July 8, 2016

Hey man you're new here so what you don't realize is we all CONSTANTLY deal with companies trying to scam their way into the ratings. Occasionally a legit review like yours gets hit. Sorry for that. However, our review process here is democratic and I still think your review is going to mislead consumers into buying a garbage product from a garbage brand. And it's my right as a member to express my opinion by giving it a thumbs down. So I'm not changing my vote. But I will look forward to seeing your future reviews. Sorry for the negativity.

• AS79
      July 8, 2016

I gave it thumbs down mostly for the effectiveness section. More specifically "In the Muscletech clinical studies, the people on PEAK ATP gained 8.8lbs of muscle over 12 weeks and increased strength by 147%. I have found this to be true" Really, the whole review sounds like it came out of Muscletech ad.