Shred Sport Reviews

By: Muscle Pharm

Shred Sport is a Thermogenic Weight Loss Product manufactured by Muscle Pharm. It increases the body's temperature and raises metabolism, helping to burn more calories and assist with fat loss.

September 23, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Great Thermogenic Effect
  • Good Diuretic
  • Needs An Appetite Suppressant
  • Potential For Dehydration

This only works as hard as you do: caloric deficit = weight loss. How you manage that caloric deficit is up to you, Shred Sport can assist you in maximizing the weight loss and give you the energy you need to meet your goals. I lost and kept off 10 lbs with 60 days of Shred Sport.

A little bit of background so you can understand the effectiveness of this product:
I spent about 8 months unable to work out due to time, available facilities, and recovering from an injury, which led to me gaining around 15 lbs over the course of a year. I moved and changed jobs, which now allowed me to hit the gym as I needed. I started my workouts slowly, without using any "fat burner" supplements until I got up to full-swing. Once I was at full-swing I introduced Shred Sport.

My regular daily workout routine while I took Shred Sport was 5 days a week:
-10 minute row warmup.
-10 minute treadmill run: 1 mile at 75% pace, cool down.
-45 minutes of lifting targeted free-weights
-45 minutes of lap swimming (freestyle) indoor pool at a sub-2:00 pace.

I incorporated 2 rest days into my weekly schedule. Every other week I would drop one gym day for a long-distance run (over six miles) at a slow pace (8-10 min/mi).

My diet was around 1500 baseline, adjusted for caloric expenditure based on the actual times recorded in the gym. This usually led to me consuming between 2300-2700 calories, depending on the day. I eat an intermittent fast diet with a very small consumption window. I used a Garmin 935 to track all of my gym times, laps, steps, etc.

Now on to the actual review!

I started taking the original Shred Matrix eight years ago, and it morphed to a proprietary blend, which was one of the biggest complaints. The new Shred Sport has more disclosure on the label (screenshot of the ingredient profile is attached), but it relies primarily on the 200mg/serving caffeine base. The 100 mg of dandelion root extract gives this a pretty significant diuretic and water-shedding boost, while the 125 mg "Capsimax" formula incorporates the thermogenic benefits of capsicum extracts. This also has 500mg of L-Carnitine, which is the usual recommended dosage of L-Carnitine.

I started taking Shred Sport as one capsule a day - just to make sure that I didn't overstim too soon, since I was planning on using two bottles back to back (two 30 day bottles). A single capsule in the morning was not overkill and not more noticeable than a few cups of coffee. I started taking one capsule first thing in the morning, and then another before my workout. I changed it up after a week by taking both capsules first thing in the morning, and this seemed to have the best effect. If you are sensitive to stims I would suggest starting off with a single capsule, or half dosing throughout the day.

Capsules are tasteless, and there was thankfully no residual flavor. With the "Capsimax" formula I was happy to note that there was no peppery burping, which I've had from some other thermogenics in the past.

Bottom-line-up-front: I lost and kept off 10 lbs over 60 days using this. I've attached a screenshot of my weekly weight averages over 90 days. For 60 of those days I used Shred Sport, and then I kept tracking for 30 more days to see how much I would rebound.
Initially I could feel a massive stim boost. I had energy for days, which made longer endurance sessions much more manageable. I also felt the diuretic effects, though, which led to me becoming severely dehydrated during a few of those endurance sessions. If you are planning on doing any kind of long-duration exercise (60+ minutes) you must have enough water and electrolytes ready to go while taking this or else you will suffer the effects of dehydration. I noticed I was sweating significantly more than usual. I am naturally sweaty, and this became almost unbearable to the point of embarrassment outside of the gym. There were sweatstains in all kinds of places that I had not had sweatstains before. That's your word of warning!

Because of the water-weight loss I actually lost 16-20 lbs, but once I stopped taking Shred Sport and my body readjusted I had a consistent loss of 10 lbs from the start of the usage. I didn't feel any significant appetite suppressant during this time, but I did have a lot of focus, energy, and sweat. Did I mention how sweaty this product made me?

The energy boost I got from this was amazing and definitely helped me meet my daily goals. I have mixed feelings about the diuretic properties since they don't tend to do anything in the long run, but the thermogenic effect was real. With consistent calorie tracking, consistent working out, and consistent use of Shred Sport I met my short-term goal of dropping 10 lbs over 60 days. This is a modest goal, and I could have done this without Shred Sport over the same amount of time, but it didn't feel like a challenge while using Shred. In fact I would say that this was probably the easiest 10 lb drop that I've ever done, I just had the energy and motivation every day to do what I needed to do.

I used two bottles over 60 days. Each bottle is dosed for 30 days, with two capsules a day. If you are stim sensitive it will last longer, but I only spent a week on reduced dosage before going to the recommended. I found this on Amazon for $33.99 for a two-pack, which is not a bad deal and relatively affordable when spread out over 60 days.

Side Effects

-Sweat. Lots of sweat.
-Stim focus and tunnel vision.
-Dehydration (if not managed properly).
-Stomach issues and diarrhea (if you are stim sensitive).

Conclusion

I do not lose weight easily, even on a significant caloric deficit. Shred Sport helped me to meet my 60 day goals, as long as I put in the effort and discipline. You can lose weight without any supplements, but I used Shred Sport and it made the weight loss that much easier. Shred Sport will cause significant amounts of water-weight loss, which can provide a false sense of accomplishment in the short-term, but over the long term if does provide a small boost to a regular reduced calorie diet.

Would I recommend Shred Sport? If you are dead set on using a thermogenic supplement, yes. This one worked and gave me what I wanted with a very clean stim-boost. If you think that a supplement alone is going to make you lose weight, then no. Do not take this if you are not willing to be consistent with your diet or exercise.

Overall
(SR paid for product; Muscle Pharm did not participate)
  July 10, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Great Thermogenic Effect
  • Good Diuretic
  • No Proprietary Blends
  • Missing A Couple Of Key Ingredients
  • Needs More Servings
  • Needs An Appetite Suppressant

Shred Sport is a fat burner with tried-and-true ingredients--with an extra cayenne kick.

Greetings, TROOPers! I'm back with another review; this time it's Shred Sport from the good people at Muscle Pharm. Thanks to Clipper83 for so generously donating one of his bounty rewards and giving me the opportunity to review this product.

As some of you may already know, I'm recovering from back surgery. The process is taking longer than desired, but I'm making progress nonetheless. During my time of total inactivity (about 8 1/2 weeks), I put on some unwanted pounds while simultaneously losing some muscle mass. It wasn't a drastic change, but it was enough to make me go as hard as my body would allow once I was able to get back into the gym.

Prior to taking Shred Sport, I took DMHA powder, which actually was pretty effective in terms of focus, energy, and fat loss, but tasted HORRIBLE! Although I saw some pretty decent results, I wanted to try something a little more palatable--enter Shred Sport. What attracted me to this product was its back-to basics approach to fat burning, with an emphasis on BURNING.

The ingredient profile is pretty old school; nothing really fancy. Here's a breakdown:

Sulbutiamine (Vitamin B-1) 100 mg
Capsimax Capsicum Extract (Capsicum annuum) (Fruit) (2% Capsaicinoids) 125 mg
Dandelion (Taraxacum officinale) Root Extract 100 mg
Theacrine (as TeaCrine) 50 mg
Fucoxanthin (from Ascophyllum nodosum) 15 mg

There is an adequate amount of L-Carnitine (750 mg) in Shred. However, I would have liked for Muscle Pharm to be a bit less conservative and boosted the ALCAR amount to 500 or maybe 750 mg.

I think the dosage of caffeine should have been upped slightly to maybe 250 mg and then added some green tea extract, and increased the theacrine to maybe 75 mg. This could have possibly given it a more pronounced energy kick.

The Capsicum (cayenne pepper) extract is more than adequate for not only increasing thermogenesis, but giving users the ability to "feel" it. Yes, this stuff will have you sweating bullets!

Fucoxanthin, via its metabolites, seems to be stored in fat cells for a prolonged period of time and can induce fat loss while inhibiting fat cell differentiation and proliferation. Although only one human study has been published, it appears to be a promising stim-free fat loss agent but requires time to work (5-16 weeks).

Notably absent from this ingredient profile is synephrine. I think that the addition of this could have really ramped up Shred Sport's fat burning ability.

There are a few obvious ingredients missing from this formula. I gave the ingredient profile a 7. With the aforementionedingredients added, the score would be much higher.

Shred Sport comes in a 30 serving bottle containing 60 capsules. There was no taste. However, I wouldn't take it on an empty stomach. The red pepper (Capsicum) could cause minor heartburn. The label recommends 1 serving (2 capsules) per day. However with the amount of ingredients Shred Sport contains per capsule, I think that it is much more effective at 2 servings (4 capsules) per day. I purchased a second bottle and took 2 servings per day; once with my pre workout protein shake, and the other with my lunch.

At 2 servings a day, I noticed myself sweating profusely. I had a decent amount of energy, and I was peeing quite a bit (the dandelion root worked quite well). I was able to shed about 6 pounds, although I'm sure that due to the amount of dandelion root extract, half of it (maybe more) was water weight.
Honestly, I think that had I taken just one serving during the 4 week run, I probably would have been a bit disappointed. However, with two servings, I saw more definition in my abs, increased vascularity, and my overall muscle definition increased moderately. Unfortunately, my appetite was unchanged. I was hoping for some type of appetite suppressing effect, but alas, no. Perhaps the addition of hoodia and/or relora would have helped in that department.

When taken twice a day, I would rate this, from a strictly fat burning standpoint an 8. Taken just once a day, I'd probably rate it a 6.5.

I found a 60 count bottle of Shred Sport on Amazon for $14.23 and at jet.com for $15.46. This represents a pretty good value if you just want to take one serving. However, taking 4 capsules a day (2 servings) puts Shred Sport on par with most other fat burners.

Side Effects

Conclusion

Shred Sport is a good (not great) fat burner, but it's most effective when used at two servings a day (my experience). I think that it's missing a few key ingredients (green tea, synephrine, appetite suppressant[s]) that could push it to top-tier status.