Ranks #104 (better than 11%)
In: Protein > Whey Protein

Hardcore Diesel is a Whey Protein Powder manufactured by Muscle Pharm. It is a dairy based protein that supports lean muscle gain by suppling additional protein to recovering muscles, which can also improve fat loss.

Protein > Whey Protein

• Bad Aftertaste
  • Hidden BCAA Amount
  • Discontinued

INTRODUCTION

What's up SupplementReviews (SR). Before you say, I know this product recently got discontinued. I recently finished taking my 4th container of MP Whey Diesel. I think I've been taking it since December 2016. I decided to write this review because I wanted to share my experience with the product and also because MusclePharm is introducing again the products they had before (with a few changes) so I imagine they will also introduce a product similar to MusclePharm Whey Diesel.

INGREDIENT PROFILE

15 grams of Whey Protein Isolate and 10 grams of Whey Protein Concentrate, which makes it 25 grams of total Protein.
5 grams of added (extra) Glutamine.
Very low calories, fat and carbohydrates.

When I first saw 5 grams of Glutamine, I thought it was the typical grams most Whey Protein supplements have. But then I read more and I saw it was an extra amount. So if it's an extra amount, then why they didn't market this saying it has 9 or 10 grams of Glutamine? That's what makes it special. I also don't like that they hid the BCAA amount. Hopefully if they release a new version of this, they tell us how much BCAA it has.

TASTE/MIXABILITY/DOSING

*TASTE: I tried both flavors, 2 containers each: Chocolate Milkshake and Vanilla Ice Cream. If you read those names, you imagine the taste will be amazing! Too bad they weren't. They both had a bad aftertaste, you could feel the chemicals. If they decide to release a new version, I really hope they fix the taste! The taste overall isn't bad but it's not good either. 5/10 maybe 6/10 if I'm generous. I hope they didn't do that on purpose for this to "taste like Diesel" Hahaha.

*MIXABILITY: I thought this would mix faster considering it had 15 grams of Whey Isolate and 10g of Whey Concentrate. Well, nope. I had close to 200 servings, it only gave me problems mixing like with 15-20 servings, that's not bad. And some servings was because I went straight with 2 scoops directly, so overall it didn't give me problems mixing it but you have to shake this for like 30 seconds.

*DOSING: I usually took 2 scoops per day (1 scoop during weekends), sometimes the 2 scoops at once or divided during the day. 8oz for a strong taste, 10-12oz for a lighter taste. My suggestion is to use 8oz with 1 scoop to finish it faster lol.

EFFECTIVENESS

Considering I used MP Whey Diesel for 6 months approximately, I can gladly say if it helped me build/develop muscle or not which is the main purpose of taking a Protein supplement lol. All the digestion thing is secondary that depends more in our body's environment but yea, I understand that you can't really say much when you finish a 2 pound container, maybe you could with a 4 pound or 5 pound. Anyways, during the 6 months of use, I got excellent results. My muscles are definitely more developed, of course I also took a lot of other supplements (like always). The thing is that I always take Creatine, BCAA, Glutamine, etc, but with Diesel, the results were enhanced. Coincidence? I don't think so. Increased muscle size and muscles growth was visible. That's how Protein works!

I'm dissapointed with the added 5 grams of Glutamine because I didn't perceive improved recovery from this. I think the improved recovery came from other supplements (BCAA, Creatine, etc). So maybe if they release a new version, they can remove the added Glutamine and add another ingredient, maybe some extra Creatine or BCAA or surprise us with HMB or HICA... I was also kind of dissapointed with the digestion time. Considering it has 15g of Whey Isolate and 10g of Whey Concentrate, I expected a digestion time of 1 hour, maybe 1.5 hours max. but it took 2 hours approx. with 1 scoop and like 3-3.5 hours with 2 scoops. Not shocking though.

VALUE

Initially, it had a cost of $54.99 and then $49.99. I think $49.99 is a fair value, you're getting extra Glutamine (46 servings of Glutamine) and top quality disclosed protein sources.

SIDE EFFECTS

I had close to 200 servings and I had side effects of going to the bathroom after taking this like 5-10 times maximum. Nothing to worry about.

CONCLUSION

A Protein supplement with 15 grams of Whey Isolate and 10 grams of Whey Concentrate. It's good that it has more Isolate. They also added 5 grams of extra Glutamine which makes this a unique protein supplement although I didn't really see too much effects from that extra Glutamine. Excellent, visible and effective results after using 4 containers. Taste of the 2 flavors had a bad aftertaste that ruined everything, I hope they fix that. Value was fair considering you get 46 extra servings of Glutamine per container. I hope MusclePharm releases a new version of Whey Diesel with the things they need to fix.
  • Chocolate Milkshake: 5/10
  • Vanilla Ice Cream: 5/10

Advertisement:
Members don't see ads: Join SR for Free

October 20, 2015

Pros:
 Cons:
    • Low Protein %
    • Higher Per Serving Cost

For me, reviewing protein supplements is relatively easy. The first step that anyone needs to take is to divide total protein by total serving size to arrive at %protein. If it's around 90% - nice! If it's around 80%, acceptable but better ones out there. Right around 70% - 60%, look elsewhere. 50% or less - you did say this was a protein, right? Where it gets challenging is when vendors add in things like bcaa or creatine - fully disclosed, I'm not talking about spiking. And this is one of those proteins and I'll explain in the review.

serving size: 38.6g
    calories: 140
    protein: 25g carb: 3g (1g sugar/1g fiber) fat:1 g

It's a mix of whey isolate and whey concentrate with glutamine and the usual fillers and flavorings. I'm happy about the smaller ingredient list although I'm curious since mine didn't list lecithin - not sure if an omission or whether this is truly a lecithin free product. Another nit picky thing is that the carbs don't add up and there's nothing in the ingredient list that leads me to that missing 1g carb. But it could just be me and let's face it, it's not that major an issue on it's own.

A much bigger issue is the inclusion of 5g of glutamine. First, is 5g even of any value? Most people will tell you no. They will point out that 70-90% of that doesn't survive the stomach. So why add it?

Well, let's do the math: 25/39 = 64 30/39 = 77 So depending on the value you place on the glutamine this is either a 64% protein product or a 77% protein product. (yes, I could have used 25/34 and eliminate the gluatamine altogether but that comes out to 73% so i gave them the benefit of the doubt)

And that's really all there is to look at. Best case this is 77% protein and worst case it's 64%. I'm not saying that the addition of the glutamine is anything other than an attempt to add value, but it certainly does make one think.

I really wish proteins would go back to a standard 30g serving size per scoop so you compare apples to apples. In that world, the front label of this product would say 19g protein per serving - not something that would turn very many heads, is it.

This tasted and mixed fine. I had the ice cream vanilla and that's what it tasted like - maybe more to the store brand vanilla, not the Brier's. There was very little clumping and it went into liquid easily - which is why I asked about the lecithin.

This was a solid protein as far as effectiveness. No real gas, bloating or discomfort. My recovery and progress is never based on any single thing so all I can say is that within my normal diet and training I saw no decrease in any area.

I think this is too expensive for what you get. A 4lb tub runs $50.00 on bodybuilding.com That's 46 servings at around $1.08 per serving. Compare this to Muscle Feast Premium, a 90% protein that runs me .69 cents per serving. And really it's that simple for me.

Conclusion

Look, I think this is an average protein that most people on the market would have no issues purchasing. I just have higher standards. When I buy protein, I want protein. In my personal opinion this takes a few short cuts that most people wouldn't even consider, but here at SR, we do. And yes, it's a really competitive market out there, but guess what, we benefit. I don't like the concept of taking a 39g scoop to get 25g protein when i can take a 30g scoop and get 27g protein. When there's other top shelf products at the same price then I can't recommend this.

Advertisement:
    Members don't see ads: Join SR for Free

October 5, 2015

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Great Mixability
    • Quality Protein Blend
    • On The Pricier Side
    Anyone using supplements in the recent years have most likely heard about Amino Spiking, and enviably how Muscle Pharm was caught doing it. Like many I lost respect and interest in this company after being an avid user of their products, but alas they are back to gain some respect and their reputation... Well mostly, if you are frequent to BB.com or have heard of Jim Stoppani you are aware that MP has taken his line and copied it into their HARDCORE Series. This is not a good way to earn respect or to aid in gaining the lost reputation, but here we go.

Formula
    You can find the supplement facts below, but the main deal here is 15g Isolate/10g Concentrate and the addition of 5g Glutamine. This product is strictly labeled for the contents included, which are not in any shape or form of a Proprietary Blend/Matrix etc. The flavoring in the Chocolate Milkshake flavor I had is flavored by Cocoa Powder + Natural/Artificial Flavoring, which means this is as close to "Natural Flavoring" that you will get without it tasting like crap. They added Sucralose, Salt, and Acesulfame Potassium for flavoring as well so you might be turned off by this aspect of their formula. The label lists everything down to the detail (minus the flavoring), which is admirable. Only 3 carbs, 1 of which is sugar so it won't blow your diet coming in at 140 Calories per scoop. Pull your calculator out because it is time to do some math! Taking the protein content of 25g and dividing it by the serving size 38.6g gives us a 64.7% protein content per scoop, which is average among Blended Protein products. Of course that accounts for the added 5g of Glutamine, so it is a "bonus"..

Mixability
    This is a protein powder, and mixes like one too. No clumping in my shaker cups, unless you put dry powder into a wet shaker. This is some thick stuff, but not as bad as some others. Xanthan Gum + Cellulose Gum gives us the thickening along with the texture of a real Milkshake, which works just fine. I used a wire ball shaker cup along with some meshed screened ones, which were a bit more difficult due to bits being stuck in the small openings. Almost no residue left over in the cup, which is great.

Taste
    Muscle Pharm did not reinvent the wheel with the flavoring, as it tastes just like any other Chocolate flavored protein powder and a lot like the cocoa powder that is used.

I use my protein powders differently nowadays, due to having Aminos/BCAA products available I normally won't have a protein shake post workout anymore but I did try to get it in post workout for this review. Typically I followed the directions with 1 scoop being used for most of the duration of the container, but based on my nutritional needs I would add a second scoop. The container took me a while to finish because at the time my protein intake was reduced with my flexible dieting program, but it went very well with some pancakes at the end of the night where I could hit my remaining macros.

Effectiveness (7.7/10)
    Protein powder is meant to help you get in the Protein Macronutrients you need, but can also aid in recovery due to the Naturally Occurring BCAA's or additional ingredients (5g Glutamine) which aided somewhat in recovery/soreness. I never really felt bloated or "yuck" while taking Diesel, which has happened to me with other protein products before. MP advertises that Diesel boosts strength, adds size, and helps you recover faster.. Of course it is possible that this supplement will work alongside your nutrition to accomplish these things, did it really boost my strength or add size? I couldn't tell you that, but I feel it is appropriate to say that ANY protein powder can "AID" in doing so but not alone.

Value (8/10)
    The container I received was 4lbs which is 46 servings (only size sold), coming out to $1.19 per serving which is on the higher end for a blended protein powder but this does contain Isolate and a heftier dose than others.

Overall (7.2/10)
    I will admit that my experience with Muscle Pharm has always been good, but I still feel cheated from the products I have had of theirs in the past.. That being said I feel they are working on being a better and more trustworthy company, but this is being accomplished in a foul way by the straight up copying of Jim's Line with the exception of this protein powder.. I feel that it is not right, and contributes to the trustworthiness of MP as a company or lack thereof. Other similar priced protein products have 3rd party tested content etc, which would probably be the only way I can trust what MP sells.. This is an average product, and I would recommend that you spend your money on other products if you are needing the accessibility of a protein powder. As always, this is just a supplement and you should be hitting your nutritional intake by eating real foods.
    • Chocolate Milkshake: 9/10

September 28, 2015

Cons:

I would like to thank Muscle Pharm and the SR TROOP program for giving Troopers the opportunity to log/review Hardcore Diesel. I was lucky enough to be able to grab a tub and I received the Vanilla Ice Cream flavor. Muscle Pharm has been in the news as of late as they were claimed to amino spiking their protein products. This review goes beyond that scandal, this is solely on this product alone.

In the past you would find Muscle Pharm products having a gigantic ingredient profile using proprietary formulas. Muscle Pharm decided to change their stance on proprietary formulas for their Hardcore Series. Sometimes smaller is better and it's definitely better in this instance. Hardcore Diesel really only has 3 main ingredients, to include: (Isolate 15 g, Protein Concentrate 10 g, L-Glutamine 5 g). Other important areas of note: 1 g of sugar, 3 g total carbohydrates, 1 g dietary fiber.

Taste- As I noted above, I received the Vanilla Ice Cream flavor in exchange for a review. It's really hard to mess up a vanilla flavor and it was spot on for the most part. It did taste a little watered down when I added the recommended (8-10 oz) of water so I just mixed it up with some milk.

Mixability- I never had a problem with mixability in regards to clumping or settlement at the bottom. It only took a few shakes in my shaker cup and everything was ready to go.

Dosing- MP recommends mixing one scoop of Whey Diesel in 8-10 oz of water or milk. I followed the dosing protocol and had 2-3 servings daily to meet my protein needs.

It can be hard to judge the effectiveness of a protein supplement however it was pretty easy to notice the results. I've noticed better recovery from my workouts, nothing earth shattering but did help out. There wasn't any kind of side effects you notice when taking a protein supplement like bloating, gas, and etc. Besides effectiveness this helped my out reaching my macros w/ added caloric intake.

Bodbuilding.com is selling a 4 lbs. tub of Hardcore Diesel for $54.85. There are 46 servings in each tub which equates to around $1.19 per serving. It's not a bad price considering your getting 15 g of Whey Protein Isolate and 10 g of Whey Protein Concentrate (25 g total). Usually bodybuilding.com runs specials and coupon codes so you definitely could get a tub for much cheaper.

Side Effects

(None)

Conclusion

Overall I was very pleased with this product and truly believe Muscle Pharm is taking a step in the right direction with the Hardcore Series. I believe MP is listening to their customers and putting out better products without proprietary blends. I would definitely buy another tub of Hardcore Diesel but I'm also hopeful they start making 2 lbs tubs. Once again I'd like to thank Muscle Pharm for participating in the Troop Program allowing us to review their products.
      • Vanilla Ice Cream: 8/10

September 22, 2015

Cons:

Thanks to the guys over at Musclepharm for a chance to try another product on their Hardcore Line. You can never try too many types of protein and when a chance comes up for a new one you gotta take it. Like I said in the Gainz review I had my eye on this product for a while before it came up for review so I was excited to give it a try.

Musclepharm lately after all the bad press has really attempted to step their game up and fully disclose everything on the labels. This is a whey protein powder divided up into two types, both of which are disclosed which is something you very rarely see in protein, for the average gym goer I don't think you need an exact number as to how much isolate/concentrate you are getting, but its there just in case.
        Simple profile here though 15grams of whey isolate, 10 grams of whey concentrate, and an added 5 grams of glutamine to help in further repairing muscle. Carbs are low at 3grams 1 being fiber and only 1gram of fat. According to the write up on bodybuilding.com all tubs are protein analysis tested to insure correct protein numbers, but it doesn't mention by who so that could be marketing who knows.

Taste- Chocolate Milkshake was the flavor I was sent, maybe my taste buds are a little messed up from the amount of protein I have been drinking but lately im having a hard time finding a powder I can really enjoy. I take this post workout so I want something smooth but not overly sweet. This flavor seemed a bit artificial to me, the smell was similar to a hot cocoa mix but the taste was a little flatter like a milky chocolate.
        Mixabilty- never a problem here, just a few shakes in a blender bottle and it was good to go, no settling or clumps. It did mix up quite thick with milk though.
        Dosing- same as every other protein, mix ith 8-10 oz of a beverage and drink 1-3 times a day to meet protein needs.

Effectiveness for proteins for me is going to be more along the lines of the absence of side effects more than what it actually did for me, because I don't think your not going to see a major difference in anything body or performance wise after one jug of protein. I would take 1-2 scoops of this immediately post workout and on off days just whenever I wanted to mix it up. When taken after a workout it usually went down pretty smooth, when mixing with water the taste wasn't overpowering so I was able to slam it down pretty quick and not worry about it coming back up like a few I have tried recently have. Nothing worse than 25-50grams of protein being wasted in the trash can because your stomach cant handle it. I have to believe that this is a quality product, because I never experienced any kind of gas or bloating like you do with some protein powders. There were a couple of days when I had some protein farts, but for the most part it was pleasant and easily digested. The added glutamine on top of the intra I was using (Gainz by MP) seemed to help keep the DOMS to a minimum as well.

Right now the only place you can find the MP Hardcore line is at bodybuilding.com and its going for $54.85 for 46 servings/4lbs. That's a fair price I think, because out of each scoop you have 15grams of isolate so its right on par with most other proteins and you know exactly how much of each type of whey you are getting. They are also running a 20% OFF special at this moment so a 4lb jug will run you right at $43ish not bad at all in my opinion.

Side Effects

None that I can remember

Conclusion

Not much to say here, this seems to be a solid choice to help you meet your protein needs for the day. No stomach discomfort goes a long way for me in proteins, because I seem to have a lot of issues with digestion. Once again id like to thank Musclepharm for shipping this out for the TROOP to try, this is a step in the right direction if they are tying to restore their good name.
        • Chocolate Milkshake: 8/10