Combat Crunch Bars Reviews

By: Muscle Pharm

Combat Crunch Bars is a Protein Bar manufactured by Muscle Pharm. It is a quick, conveinient source of protein and commonly used as a meal replacement. The additional protein can help increase muscle mass as well as promote fat loss.

Overall
Overall
6.9
6.9
  August 23, 2018

• Taste Great
  • Digestive Issues

Muscle Pharm Combat Crunch bars are an easy way to get some protein into your system on the go. They come in packs of four or 12, and pack 20 grams of protein, also being gluten free - which is a good bonus. These bars are up there on my list of some of my favorites but not everything I experienced was fantastic.

18 years old and I lift five days a week. I work at my local gym after finding my love for fitness and bettering myself. I teach as an instructor for Les Mills, instructing RPM (a spin class). I usually drink a protein shake after all of my workout days, but I switched from that to these bars when I had recieved 16 of them.

Here is the entire ingredients list!
Some things I would like to highlight is that the bar consist of a whey protein isolate and milk protein isolate - makes up 20g per bar
210 calories per bar which worked well into my diet (I usually am not too strict with my caloric intake my metabolism is still kicking because of my age)

My only concern with the ingredients in this bar is the palm oils. Palm oils have come up on my radar recently similar to dyes and artificial sweeteners. It is not a deal breaker for me, but the palm oils just add a negative to the product. Palm Oil is made up of 50% saturated fats which increases your LDL Cholesterol and Triglycerides. Again, not a make it or break it but just a negative for me

1 Bar Birthday Cake
Serving Size: 1 Bar (63 g)
Servings Per Container: 1
Vitamin A 0%
Vitamin C 1%
Calcium 22%
Iron 1%
* Percent Daily Values (DV) are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Ingredients:
Protein Blend (Whey Protein Isolate, Milk Protein Isolate), Isomalto-Oligosaccharide (Prebiotic Fiber), Vegetable Glycerin, Sugar, Vegetable Oils (Palm, Palm Kernel Oil), Almonds, Water, and Maltitol., Contains less than 2% of: Resistant Maltodextrin, Salt, Soy Lecithin, Natural Flavor, Malt, Natural Colors, Rice Flour, Corn Syrup, Citric Acid, and Sucralose.
CONTAINS MILK, SOY, TREE NUT, AND PEANUT. MANUFACTURED IN A PLANT THAT PROCESSES MILK, SOY, TREE NUT, WHEAT, PEANUT, AND EGG PRODUCTS.

I received the cookie dough flavored crunch bars and they were really good! Cookie Dough flavorings are my favorite, but its hard to find a good one out there as sometimes they are too rubbery. In this case, the cookie dough was soft and a little chewy which was perfect. The inside of the bar consists of little pieces of chocolate crisp things (which can get a little messy). The chocolate bits add the crunch that you're looking for and the bar itself seems like a candy bar.

Dosing is based off one bar which is the perfect amount. I would take these throughout the day when it was convenient for me and when I felt it was needed.

So for effectiveness I will judge this as a sense of fullness and satisfaction rather then whether or not the protein aided me in muscle building as you can not really tell how much the protein intake helps you.
During the days I would take this as I needed in areas where I would need to eat a snack. This held me over for about an hour or two! I think thats a decent amount of time because I would eat after a lifting session, and it would hold me over until I needed to go catch dinner.

These are sold on bodybuilding.com for 9.99 for a box of four or 24.99 for a box of 12. This comes out to about 2.08 per bar if you buy the 12 pack. That seems to be a little more expensive then some other bars but they are pretty delicious.

Side Effects

This was really bad for me. With this protein bar I struggled with gas. Yes, they were awfully smelling and very frequent. This was honestly an awful experience and prevented me from buying these another time. If my digestive system did not respond to the bars like this, I would buy these everytime.

Conclusion

Overall, this protein bar does the job. Its convenient, delicious, and it kept me full when I needed it too. The issue here for me was that the bars caused some digestive issues with me. Great bars, bad farts. If youre looking for a good protein bar, you found it here but lets just hope for your sake and the people around you that these dont react the same with you as they did with me.
Thanks for reading SRs
  • Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough: 10/10

February 27, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Simpleeconomical
  • Tastes Good For A Protein Bar
  • Some Flavors Are Extremely Bland
  • Inconsistent Texture
  • Inconsistent Taste

Greetings SR! If you saw my review of King Whey, you know that I really like protein bars because they are much more satisfying compared to chugging a protein shake. Sure its not real food in the same way as eating a steak, but its closer and my mouth appreciates it. Anyway, here we go with MusclePharm's combat crunch.

Nutrition Facts:
Fiber 12g
Sugars 5g
Sugar Alcohol 1g
Protein 20g

Protein Blend (Whey Protein Isolate, Milk Protein Isolate)
Isomalto-Oligosaccharide (Prebiotic Fiber)
Chocolate Chunks (Chocolate Liquor [Processed With Alkali], Sugar, Cocoa Butter, and Vanilla)
Glycerin
Vegetable Oils (Palm, Palm Kernel Oil)
Sugar
Almonds
Water
Soy Protein Isolate
Maltitol
Cocoa (Processed With Alkali)
Contains less than 2% of
Resistant Maltodextrin
Salt
Soy Lecithin
Natural Flavor
Sucralose
Vanilla
Tapioca Starch

Nothing too crazy here compared to most other protein bars. The calorie content is pretty good for the 20g of protein that you get, making this bar about 38% protein which leave the fat content at 30% and the rest carbs (albeit with a big ole hunk of fiber). There's 5g of sugar here, which isn't great, but the single gram of sugar alcohols is nice as some people have issues with processing them. For the ingredients, the big deal here is the protein types, whey concentrate and the milk isolate. We don't get a breakdown of the blend but nice to have a mix of both types as they digest differently.

I was all set to give this a higher rating based on the chocolate chip cookie dough that I had but alas, I just tried a S'mores one and the rating here took a nose dive. The cookie dough bar was nice and soft with a great flavor, I even had it as an after dinner dessert with ultra-filtered milk for a nice protein boost. While not as sweet as actual cookie dough, the crunchies on the outside worked well with the softer inside and it was like a rich, dark chocolately dough. That flavor rocked. The S'mores, was exactly the opposite. I'm hoping that I either got a bad box or else the rest of the flavors might be a crapshoot. The flavor from the outer coating was alright but the inside was very hard, enough that the bar broke apart when i chomped into it. Even the taste was off, dry and bland.

Like most protein bars, effectiveness for me is whether it got me my macros and kept me from wanting to consume the entire contents of my pantry and fridge right after I consume it. In regard to the latter, it definitely feels like I ate food and my stomach is sated for a while, depending on what I'm doing.
Did the bar help me with my lifting regime, who knows. I don't have these bars, or any bars, consistently enough or at a stable enough time to rate how they work in that regard, they are a nice sometimes snack that helps me to get m macros or keep me from junkier food.

Probably the best part about these, they are pretty cheap if you get them in a 12 pack. Best price I found is $18 a case from Amazon and if you do their subscribe and save, you can get that down to closer to $1.33 a bar, which is hard to beat. That being said, the flavors do vary in price greatly.

Side Effects

None noticed.

Conclusion

7.8/10

I really loved the first (and 2nd box) of the cookie dough but the absolute failure of S'mores has me concerned with the taste of these bars. The whole point of protein bars compared to shakes is that you get something close to food you can chew. If the taste and texture don't work, I think the bars are a miss. I'll update this review more as I sample more flavors but for now, I hesitantly recommend them based on the nutritional value, but recommend trying to try a single bar for any flavor you get first.
  • Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough: 9/10
  • S'mores: 4/10

Overall
Overall
8.9
8.9
  February 17, 2017

• Better Recovery
  • Simpleeconomical
  • Some Flavors Are Extremely Bland

What is up everyone! This is my first review of any protein bar, but I'll start by saying i've had many.. I'm a bit all over the place within the supplement industry so you'll see reviews on just about every category of product. I also try to go into some of the most depth anyone will elicit from a review, so here we go.

The ingredient profile is rather basic. You have your protein blend first since it is what composes most of the bar: Whey Isolate, Milk Protein Isolate is the protein blend, it is high quality and quickly digesting (which is nice for recovery purposes). Next is fiber and flavorings: I like that they took a more natural route compared to many other brands that overwhelm the product with artificial sweeteners. Muscle Pharm Combat Crunch bars use 5g of real sugar, 1g of sugar Alcohols, and less than 2% sucralose in the total weight of the bar.

The nutrition facts are the most basic form of a profile you can get, so I saved that for last since I probably lost you already... but the highlights are 7g Total Fat, 25g Total Carbs, 20g Protein, 12g of dietary fiber (which is good since many of us lack enough fiber). So this is a nice profile with a lot to offer everyone willing to invest.
Also, in case this was a concern.. the fat content is 4g of saturated fat, 2g monounsaturated, and 1g polyunsaturated; there is no trans fat here so we are in the clear! (9.0/10)

Taste is really.. Pretty good for what you get, but could be improved in the future. My favorite has been the birthday cake, cinnamon twist, and cookies n' creme. The bar totals in at 63g so there obviously aren't a ton of room for fillers. (8.0/10)

Since the profile of the bar mainly consists of different forms of protein isolate it makes sense that I do feel a bit more recovered as opposed to missing a meal.. This serves the purpose of a meal replacement in the sense that you may not have anything else available at the time; it serves that purpose well. (9/10)

These can be pretty pricey considering that bodybuilding.com has the lowest pricing at 26.99 (unless you catch them during a sale), but then you'll still be paying shipping for a box of only 12 bars (roughly 5-7 dollars for shipping)... (7.5/10)

Side Effects

No side effects, except the aftermath of 50% of your daily fiber in a one serving bar..

Conclusion

The product is quite worth its weight if you tend to miss meals and have issues reaching a daily caloric intake/specific macros. I'd say give these a shot for yourself and go from there. However, my personal experience is that these are one of the best bars currently on the market. (8.9/10 overall)
  • Birthday Cake: 9/10
  • Cinnamon Twist: 9/10
  • Cookies N' Creme: 8/10

February 20, 2016

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Taste Great
  • Good Texture

I am a med school student and fitness enthusiast. I seek out great tasting and healthy products to get me through long days of class, power through my workout sessions, and provide the nutrients I need to keep healthy, build strength, and improve. I love trying all kinds of products and sharing my opinion, so I was excited to come across Supplement Reviews and offer some thoughts on things I've tried, including protein powders, BCAAs, protein bars, and pre-workouts.

Not the best, but not terrible. We've got some protein blend with whey, milk, and soy protein isolates, some fiber, a bit of sugar and sucralose, and a few other not so natural ingredients, but the list isn't as bad as some other protein bars. Combat Crunch bars run around 200 calories with a nice 20g of protein, while also offering a decent amount of fiber and calcium with little sugar (5g).

These are some of the best protein bars I've had. The taste is amazing, and there is a wide range of flavors to enjoy. They don't have a weird chemical taste, and taste like some kind of candy bar. Personally, my favorites are the Cinnamon Twist (kind of like a coffee cake) and Chocolate Cake (rich and chocolatey). The texture is also great. They are not dry, grainy, and chewy like many bars, but soft and smooth, with a flavored coating on top. They are the perfect size for a snack between meals, and easy to pull out in the middle of a lecture when I feel some hangriness coming on.

Very good. They keep me from getting hungry for at least a few hours, and help me stay energized. With long days, I sometimes don't get to eat for a while, and I started running into a problem where I would feel a bit lightheaded and couldn't focus well. I began packing these to snack on, and I no longer encounter that problem. They are a great alternative to the snacks and foods sold at our cafeteria, and a healthy alternative if you are craving sweets or dessert. The high protein content not only helps keep me awake and stave off hunger, but also helps me meet my daily protein goal, as I am trying to build strength. They are tasty and convenient.

This is my biggest problem with Combat Crunch, and what prevents me from buying stacks of boxes. They are pretty pricey compared to many other bars, and typically cost about $3.

Side Effects

I did not note any side effects.

Conclusion

Overall, these are among the best tasting protein bars on the market. There are many tasty flavor options, and they provide a quick, convenient, and healthy snack to fuel your day, keep you from getting hungry, beat cravings for sweets, and get you a good amount of protein. They are a bit expensive, but these are my go-to protein bars and definitely worth a try.
  • Cinnamon Twist: 9/10