Arnold Iron Whey has been reported as discontinued.

Check out the top-ranked products in Protein > Whey Protein

Protein > Whey Protein

Arnold Iron Whey is a Whey Protein Powder manufactured by Muscle Pharm. It is a dairy based protein that supports lean muscle gain by suppling additional protein to recovering muscles, which can also improve fat loss.

Arnold Iron Whey has been reported as discontinued.

Check out the top-ranked products in Protein > Whey Protein

• Low Amount BCAA
  • Low Amount Glutamine

-----
Update 07/17/2016:
TASTE Update: Tried Strawberry Banana. AMAZING flavor! Too bad this product will be gone pretty soon :( I hope Arnold can return with another brand and continue producing the Iron Whey, especially the Strawberry Banana flavor. 9.5 for Strawberry Banana!
-----

Hello, my name is Melh (H is silent in Spanish), my first language is Spanish and second language is English, so excuse me for any mistakes I make during my review. I found this site thanks to my older brother who also lift weights and uses this site to read the reviews that bodybuilders give to some supplements. I've been weightlifting for a couple of years but only in a serious way the last 2 and a half years approximately. Getting my four wisdom teeth removed didn't help. Like "most" people, I lift weights to build and develop my muscles. When I first saw the Iron Whey, my expectations were high, mainly because it's from Arnold. Read below how it ended...

(Your thoughts on the ingredients/label of the product)
The first typical thing to see is the amount of protein. 22 grams of protein is high, anything over 20 grams of protein is high enough for me. Then, I checked the types of Whey Protein it has. The Iron Whey has Whey Protein Concentrate, Whey Protein Isolate and Whey Protein Hydrolysate, which is good. The 5 pound tub comes with 70 servings which is very high, the green color is attractive and the pictures of Arnold are cool. The BAD thing about the label is that it doesn't say how much BCAA, Glutamine and Amino Acids it has. I hate when supplements don't say directly how much BCAA, Glutamine, Amino Acids they have. Reading a test made by MusclePharm themselves was the only way to find out how much BCAA, Glutamine and Amino Acidos the Iron Whey has. It seems it has approximately 4g of BCAA and 3.5g Glutamine. Not an expert reading protein tests. Anyways, more info about that here: https://blog.priceplow.com/supplement-news/iron-whey-test-reviewed (sorry if this is not allowed).

Taste 9/Mixability 8.5/Dosing 7

The taste is the BEST thing the Iron Whey has, atleast the Chocolate flavor I tried. I never got tired of the taste. The mixability was excellent with 1 scoop and good with 2 scoops. I tried a complete 5 pound tub and it gave me problems mixing only like 3 times, which is not bad IMO. The Dosing (22g Protein is good for me, maybe not for other people), (WPC, WPI and WPH as types of Whey Protein is also good). (The Glutamine amount reported by the test -3.5g- is low considering the average is 4g of Glutamine/Glutamic Acid) and (the 4g of BCAA is inside the average, maybe not too high to be "Arnold".) The fact that the supplement itself doesn't say the amount of BCAA and Glutamine is very bad, I'm maybe being generous giving it a 7 for the "Dosing".

Effectiveness 8

It's difficult to judge the effectiveness of a Protein Supplement but I think it worked for me, I saw my muscles developed more while drinking the Iron Whey. For recovery, it wasn't so effective (probably because of the low amount of Glutamine and average amount of BCAA) although I have to be honest here and say I was only drinking this supplement so expecting a big recovery drinking only a Protein Supplement is dumb. I think this supplement is effective but don't expect anything huge, just a good product.

Value 9

The Value is the second GOOD thing about the Iron Whey. You can buy the 5 pound tub (in USA) for $45-$50 (even less with a good promo/coupon) which is a good price for a 70 serving Whey Protein like this. I got the Iron Whey on a BOGO deal at Bodybuilding.com so it was great! You don't find the Iron Whey often with a promotion though but if you google enough, you can find a good deal for it.

Side Effects

NO side effects, it was good on my stomach. Only felt sick once after drinking it but I don't think it was because of the Iron Whey, maybe something else I ate.

Conclusion 8

A 7.5 but I decided to be generous and give an 8. The Arnold Iron Whey is a good product, it's very delicious and has a good value. Overall, it's average with 22g protein, WPC, WPI and WPH as the types of Whey Protein and the low amount of Glutamine and BCAA. I think people should try it if they haven't tried it and use it every couple of months, maybe one 5 pound tub every year. I don't like the fact they hid the BCAA, Glutamine and Aminos amount which is something I hate. Why did they hide their amounts?

Advertisement:
Members don't see ads: Join SR for Free

February 17, 2015

• Good Recovery
  • Digestive Issues
My name is Kalan, weightlifting is a hobby of mine and being a Endomorph I am very successful at putting on muscle mass. I have tried many different supplements and in this case protein powder. I have had many brands and used many formulas since I was a teenager. This review is covering the product from bb.com in two flavors: Chocolate and Strawberry Banana.

Nutrition Facts (10/10)
This is a average blend of Whey Protein: Whey Protein Concentrate, Whey Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Hydrolysate. It is low sugar as all of MusclePharm's protein, this is due to the Sucralose which is an artificial sweetener. While I haven't had any digestive issues due to the Sucralose many have. The protein content is 22g, which is fine (I try to have 20-25g per scoop when shopping for a protein powder). Being a non-natural blend, it gets a 10/10 due to having low sugar and moderate amount of protein. The rest of this score is due to the fact there is no Amino Spiking, which is essentially the practise of dumping high amounts of the cheapest least valuable amino acids into the powder in order to cut costs while keeping the total protein content elevated. But no worries here at supplementreviews.com.au/arnold-iron-whey-amino-spiking/ it passed and contains no such spiking.

Mixability (6/10)
Compared to the other blends of whey or other formulated protein powders this is not a shiney moment of this powder. Mixing this with water was rather poor, and with milk it was not much better. I tested this out with 1 leveled scoop and 8 ounces of water/milk, and then with 2 leveled scoops and 16 ounces of water/milk.

Taste (5/10)
Ok, the two flavors I had were: Chocolate and Strawberry Banana which left me rather disappointed. Neither of the flavors tasted any better than the other. I have had cheap powders before which tasted just as poorly and left me with adding coca powder and miniature marshmallows just to be able to consume it. I have two 5lb containers here that I will eventually need to do this as well, but I do not look forward to it. Typically I would use BSN, which is higher in fact but taste amazing.

Value (7/10)
The value on this powder seems decent, at the time I had a BOGO free deal that I could not refuse... I wish I did!

Side Effects (0/10)
I have researched and found that I was not the only one with digestive issues, which is the case here. It seemed that some of the ingredients were a little difficult to digest, which has never been the issue with the previous MusclePharm powders I have had.

Conclusion (6.5/10)
Overall I did not enjoy this product, and if I had the chance to go back I would not purchase it again. If the digestive issues were not present I would still rate this low, as I have had cheaper powders end up better. My money would be better spent somewhere else than this product, along with the other Arnold Branded products I have had (cheap ingredients).

Advertisement:
Members don't see ads: Join SR for Free

March 27, 2014

• Good Recovery
  • Room Clearing Gas
Hey all. First time reviewer here so feel free to critique but I'm going to try to go by the book. I tried and finished my first tub of Iron Whey a couple months ago and am working through my second (deal was too good to pass up).

Profile:

Honestly it's not bad when compared to other proteins on the market. Low fat (1g), a little high on the carbs (6g) and about 2 grams below the market average of 24g of protein per scoop at 22g per serving. Overall, solid although I'd usually rate Optimum and Dymatize higher here with their whey blends.

-- 7/10 --

Taste:

I've only tried the chocolate flavor because I find vanilla to be really bland if not blended with other flavors. This is where Iron Whey really was lacking for me. The taste was just off for me. For some reason after the first few days I began to dread the taste, almost like a chemical chocolate flavor. Adding a little splenda helped sweeten it up a bit for me.

-- 5/10 --

As far as whey protein goes, I used Iron Whey on a bulking cycle over the fall and winter due to the carb content and now that I'm cutting for summer I use it post workout and use an isolate during the other times of the day. No complaints here, effectiveness was on par with any other whey protein I've tried. Recovery was good and I saw gains while my diet was kept in check and protein was high.

-- 8/10 --

Value:

This is where Iron Whey really shines for me. I was able to find 5 pound tubs for around $45 dollars both times. Each tub contains around 70 servings, putting the price below Optimum, Dymatize and other well known brands.

-- 9/10 --

Conclusion:

If it wasn't for the price I wouldn't have considered picking up another tub of Iron Whey. Even now I'd pay the extra $5 or so for a better tasting protein with a slightly better nutrition profile. However, if you're bulking and are searching for a value, Iron Whey is a serviceable option you should consider

March 11, 2014

• Musclepharm Product
  • More Sore Than Usual
Ingredients:

Serving Size: 32.4g (1 scoop)
Servings Per Container: 28 (908g/2lbs)
Amount Per Serving %DV *
Iron .63 mg 4.5%
* Percent Daily Value Based on a 2,000 Calorie Diet
** Daily Value Not Established
Other Ingredients:
Protein Matrix (Whey Protein Concentrate, Whey Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Hydrolysate), Amino Matrix [L-Glycine, L-Taurine, BCAAs (Leucine, Isoleucine, Valine) (3.1.2 Patent Pending Ratio), L-Glutamine], Natural and Artificial Flavors, Cocoa Powder, Glucose Polymers, Suspension Matrix (Xanthan Gum, Cellulose Gum, Guar Gum), Flax Seed Oil, Sea Salt, Acesulfame Potassium, Sucralose, Enzyme (Lactase).

MusclePharm is one of my favorite companies overall, and I like most of the products I have tried from them. However, I didn't always feel right the next day like I did when I was taking other higher rated proteins. Even Combat which is also made by MusclePharm is much better. I was more sore the next day than usual, even when I put L-Glutamine in my shakes, so I can't go higher than an 7.

Taste: 6/10
Really, I couldn't wait to get to the end of it. I didn't hate it, but it definitely isn't something I looked forward to like Syntha-6 or Combat. It tastes almost like chocolate milk, but a little sour. I was not a fan of the taste, but it wasn't terrible either.

The value was good because I got a free t-shirt with it, but I wasn't real impressed by this product at all. It didn't taste good, and I was sometimes sore the next day even stacking with Glutamine. It isn't the worst thing I've had by any means, but I wouldn't recommend it over other top brands either. Kind of tried it because of a free shirt honestly.

February 3, 2014

• Artificial Taste
So here we have the protein from Muscle Pharm's Arnold Schwarzenegger Series, the first line of supps to have Arnold's name on them. Let's start with the ingredient profile:

Serving Size: 32.4g

Protein: 22g of Whey protein concentrate, Whey protein isolate, whey protein hydrolysate

Carbs: 6g

Fat: 1g

Amino Matrix: Glycine, Taurine, 3:1:2 BCAA Blend

Let's start with the pros. The taste is pretty decent for a vanilla protein. It mixes well with minimal clumping and is pretty creamy. The vanilla is a bit artificial tasting but not otherwise offensive. It's definitely as effective as any other quality protein is.

Now let's get to the cons, or more accurately, why there are better options for the price you pay.

Let's start with some simple math here. 22+6+1=29g. Out of a 32.4g scoop, that leaves at most 3.4g for the added aminos, ignoring sweeteners and flavoring. So there are not many extra aminos, let alone the BCAAs. Not a big deal, since protein is chock full of aminos to begin with, but don't treat this inclusion as a selling point of the protein.

I got gas from this protein more than usual. If I had to suspect what was causing this, I would say it was the lactase included as the enzyme, as opposed to a different protein digesting enzyme. I'm no scientist, but I don't think lactase does anything as far as protein digestion goes.

At ~$48 for 5lbs, you are better off spending your money on Dymatize or ON, or anything with more protein and fewer carbs per scoop. Certainly worth picking up if you find it cheaper, but nothing stands out to give me a wholehearted recommendation