Arnold Iron Dream has been reported as discontinued.

Check out the top-ranked products in Growth Enhancers > Nighttime Sleep Formulas

Arnold Iron Dream Reviews

By: Muscle Pharm

ARTICLES

Growth Enhancers > Nighttime Sleep Formulas
Arnold Iron Dream is a Nighttime Sleep Formula manufactured by Muscle Pharm. It is designed to be used before bed time. It promotes restful sleep, increases REM sleep and helps the body attain an optimal state for muscle recovery and growth.

Arnold Iron Dream has been reported as discontinued.

January 18, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Cool Dreams
  • Enhanced Sexual Function
  • Deep Sleep
  • Little Magnesium

First review here on a product that has been a stable of my supplement stack for a couple of years now Iron Dream by Musclepharm. This product is a nighttime recovery agent that that claims to enhance sleep and recovery, support improved sleep cycles, maximize a anabolic and anticatabolic environment, and enhance deep sleep. Before I dive into the review allow me to explain a little bit about myself. I am a 22 year old college student with 4 years of weight training experience under my belt who has, in the last 2 years, picked up powerlifting as my primary discipline. My primary goals include increasing my strength, size, and overall fitness through a careful combination of training, diet, and supplementation. I found SR through online searches and have been using it for a number of years to evaluate products before I make a final decision in my supplement purchases. I feel as though with my broad knowledge and experience with supplements over the last few years, I could help others make a safe, economic, and effective purchasing decision. My future products I plan to review include the supplements that I have found to be extremely helpful for me in reaching my goals both physically and academically throughout my college years including, but not limited to: N-Pept 10 by LGI, Animal Flex by Animal, Mega Men Sport by GNC, and Ultra Strength Red Panax Gensing Extractum by Prince of Peace. Enough about myself lets dive into the review!

First, lets start with the vitamin and mineral content. It is a nice blend of vitamins and minerals that all have something to do with either testosterone production or improving sleep quality. This blend includes the tried and true ZMA blend which consists of zinc, magnesium, and vitamin B6 which has many beneficial effects, including better muscle recovery, increased strength and size, better sleep, and some even report it as a weight loss aid. However, it should be noted that the magnesium content in this supplement falls short on the optimal ZMA dosage and you should consider adding 200 mg of magnesium to this supplement. Vitamin D is crucial for athletes recovery and testosterone production. Also, the inclusion of Boron and Copper is a nice surprise as these important testosterone amplifying ingredients are often left out of multivitamin supplements.

This product loses ground on the proprietary blend that holds the active ingredients in this supplement as it makes it difficult to tell if this supplement holds adequate doses of the different ingredients listed. It makes up for it in the fact that all the ingredients listed will indeed aid in a athlete's sleep, recovery, and testosterone production. I will quickly summarize the benefits of the ingredients included in this supplement:
L-Glycine: has been shown to increase sleep quality, muscle recovery, and joint and tendon repair.
GABA: helpful for improving mood, reducing blood pressure, reducing stress, stimulating growth hormone secretion
5-HTP: converts to Serotonin in the brain, decreases appetite, and promotes weight loss
Mucuna Pruriens: decreases cortisol, raises testosterone, raises dopamine levels.
Horny Goat Weed: little research proving effectiveness of this supplement, touted as a aphrodisiac
Melatonin: hormone that regulates sleep.
L-Glutamine: amino acid that promotes muscle and intestinal recovery.
BCAA: synergetic amino acid combination that promotes protein synthesis.
Fenugreek: increases testosterone by inhibiting the increase of DHT, increases libio.

score: 7/10

The product is simple, mix one scoop with 6 - 8 oz of water 30 - 45 minutes before bedtime. The fine powder mixes decent with a slight powdery residue left in the bottom of the bottle. The product comes in two flavors: fruit punch and grape. Fruit punch is a tolerable, run of the mill fruit punch flavor while the grape reminds me of a less awful cough syrup. It should be noted not to consume this product with anything containing calcium as it will inhibit the absorption of the zinc.

score: 7/10

Despite the small serving size and proprietary blend this product delivers phenomenally. It makes me able to sleep much deeper with crazy vivid dreams, which is a sign of healthy REM sleep where you body will recover and produce hormones imperative to a athletes success. The product does not make it difficult to wake up assuming you got a adequate 8 hours of sleep or so. I found myself consistently waking up about 5 minutes before my alarms go off ready to just hop out of bed and smash that protein shake first thing in the morning. This supplement makes a noticeable difference in my recovery, similar to taking casein right before bed. A strange effect I found with this supplement was that if I took it before bed with the girlfriend over it took romance from about 30 minutes to around 90 minutes or more. This supplement did not lose its effectiveness for me after about a year of consistent use so I choose not to cycle it. I have recently started taking this product with 5000 mg of arginine right before bed, and I found there is some kind of synergy between the blood flow enhancing properties of arginine and the sleep enhancement from this product. The only down side to this supplement is I found it in now way helps me get to sleep faster, that has always been a mixture of stress and what I was doing before I tried to go to sleep.

score: 9/10

The first time I purchased this product was at a GNC for $7 as they discontinued the product line. I now purchase it from Amazon for around $15-$20 a tub ending up costing $0.50 to $0.66 per serving, which I believe is a more that fair price for a good nights sleep with enhanced recovery. Just be careful and check what flavor it is listed as because the flavors are often listed separately with different prices.

score: 9/10

Side Effects

I experienced no negative side effects from this product. The only effect I experienced other advertised was the increased sexual stamina about 15 minutes after ingesting it.

score: 10/10

Conclusion

Iron Dream by Musclepharm has been a stable of my supplement routine for a long time and for good reason. It consistently delivers quality sleep at a good price. The supplement hides underneath a proprietary blend that I feel is extremely effective. Try taking this supplement with 200 mg of extra magnesium and 5000 mg arginine for amazing synergy and one of the best growth and recovery producing nighttime stacks.

overall score: 8.4/10
  • Fruit Punch: 7/10
  • Grape: 4/10

June 15, 2015

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Good Sleep
  • Cool Dreams
  • Some Recovery Effects
  • Deep Sleep
  • Helps Keep You Asleep
  • No Direct Growth Hormone Stimulators
  • Hard To Wake Up

Being a university student my sleeping pattern is pretty messed up and when I sleep I like to get my full 8/9 hours so I like to use these sleep aids to make sure that I'm out and out for the night with no flatmates waking me up at 3am!

The label looks just like the rest in the Arnold series but with claims of improved sleep cycles and enhanced deep sleep.
In terms of the ingredients theres 30 serves of 5.7g with a proprietary blend making up 3.55g making it 58% colours and flavourings but in a 5.7g scoop it's not really that much (3.3g). Personally I don't like prop blends as I like to know exactly how much of what I'm getting but on to the actual ingredients it's split into two matrix and some of the ingredients are also in the nutritional info panel
Vitamin D 500IU (going to help with a little bit of testosterone boosting)
ZMA blend - Vitamin B6, Magnesium and Zinc
NIGHT GROWTH MATRIX
L-Glycine (In high concentrations, it promotes the prolongation of stage 3-4 sleep in the first sleep cycle and prevents sleep fragmentation), Phenibut (A precursor to GABA, helps with relaxation and feelings of anxiety), 5-HTP (an intermediate metabolite of L-Tryptophan, which is converted to melatonin and serotonin in the brain to promote a good mood and relaxation), Mucuna Puriens (A source of L-DOPA which converts to dopamine to help make you feel good and relaxed), Horny Goat Weed Extract (Helps with erectile dysfunction and fatigue).
MUSCLE RECOVERY MATRIX
L-Glutamine combined with some BCAA Nitrates in the 3:1:2 blend (In here for recovery but with only a 3.55g scoop I doubt they're very highly dosed), Fenugreek extract (In there again for libido enhancing and testosterone boosting effects)

So when I bought this I was looking for another sleep aid to replace my much loved Resurrect P.M. I picked it up from my local supp store but they sadly only had grape, not my favourite flavour. Saying that the taste isn't bad I'm sure if you like grape flavoured products then you will like it. The product mixes okay, I would recommend using a small shaker however you can use a glass and a spoon if you wish. Personally I don't like proprietary blends because you can't tell if you're getting the clinical doses of certain ingredients. However with this product you can see what you get under dosed for example the L-Glutamine and BCAA's which would have to be in much larger quantities to be effective.

Now I'm not going to say that this product knocks you out because that's not what it does, you don't drink it then ten minutes later boom you're asleep. However what it does do is once you are asleep it keeps you there and doesn't let you go. I find that once I've taken it I do feel a little bit drowsy but nothing that I couldn't hold off, however once I was asleep that was it and if something did wake me up (drunk flatmates banging on my door) I was able to just put my head down and fall straight back asleep. In terms of recovery I do feel that it has helped me recover just by helping me stay asleep. Another thing I will mention is the awesome dreams, I usually don't remember many of my dreams but the ones that I have on Iron Dream are extremely detailed, lucid and real which I think is a plus.

I think I payed about £23 for this product which was the same price as my online supplement shop + shipping. I personally feel that as a value for money product this product is very strong the product recommends 5 days on and 2 days off which would make the tub last 6 weeks which I think is very good for the cost of the product.

Side Effects

So as I mentioned before, weird dreams but for me thats an enjoyable thing! However as mentioned in the effects it does hold you in sleep so you better be getting your 8 hours! I did find waking up was a lot harder on Iron Dream, many times I would wake up at 8 roll over close my eyes and it would be 9:30 so I would take that into consideration. Apart from that I have no other ill effects from this product.

Conclusion

Now from a complete sleep supplement I'm sorry to say but Iron Dream missed the mark. It lacks any ingredients that directly stimulate growth hormone production even though you do get the passive effects from the 5-HTP and Phenibut. However from a purely sleep focused point of view, for people struggling to stay asleep at night and for people looking to stay in that deep REM sleep for a long time I would have to recommend Iron Dream.

April 12, 2015

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Good Sleep
  • Cool Dreams
  • Some Recovery Effects
  • Sometimes Kept Me Awake
  • Urination
  • Prop Blend
Well a while back I made one of my random, supplement induced, split-second decisions that I needed a sleep aid, and I needed it now. No waiting for delivery and getting the best product possible, just a rushed trip to Vitamin Shoppe on a whim. These of course are all decisions I wish I wouldn’t make, but hey, it happens. I stumbled across Iron Dreams from the Musclepharm Arnold Series and decided I’d give it a go. Here is what I learned…

Product Claims (From website)
SUPPORTS IMPROVED SLEEP CYCLES [PROMOTES R.E.M. SLEEP]*
MAXIMIZES THE ANABOLIC-ANTICATABOLIC ENVIRONMENT*
ENHANCES DEEP SLEEP FOR MAXIMUM GROWTH & RECOVERY*

Ingredients (From website)
GAMMA AMINOBUTYRIC ACID, GABA'S effect on growth hormone coincides with the body entering R.E.M. sleep. It can profoundly alter body composition, indirectly supporting muscle growth.*
HORNY GOAT WEED will aid in the sexual health and natural hormonal balance. This fact is true for both men and women.*
MUCUNA PRURIENS may support natural testosterone production through inhibiting prolactin, which thereby increases the body's luteinizing hormone (LH) levels.*
MELATONIN a "power antioxidant." Taking melatonin before bedtime promotes sleep and relaxation. It can help reduce oxidative stress, improve defenses and lipid metabolism.*
Muscle Recovery Matrix
L-GLUTAMINE works to help reduce catabolism to support a muscle building environment. At the same time, L-Glutamine minimizes muscle catabolism, which supports a healthy immune system.*
BCAA NITRATE: Branched Chain Amino Acids fuse with nitrate creating greater BCAA stability and more efficient transportation due to nitrate enhancing permeation. The gut absorbs nitrate-bound amino acids more effectively.*
FENUGREEK can provide added support for sexual health. Also, along with maintaining healthy testosterone levels, it can aid with increasing muscle strength, energy, and overall well-being.*

These are the main ingredients that they boast about in the product advertisement. There are a few others listed on the label, which you can take a look at through a simple Google search. I like the ingredients overall, but they are in the form of the deadly “prop blend,” so my guess as to how much of each ingredient we are getting is as good as yours. It’s a strong foundation but you have no idea how big the house it.

Pretty simple here. One scoop before bed and don’t use it more than 5 nights in a row with two nights off. Again, this is pretty basic sleep aid dosing instruction

Flavor ===10/10===

I tried the Grape flavor and I gotta say, I love it. This might actually be my favorite tasting supplement of all time. That grape bubblicious type flavor is amazing, and it doesn’t have the artificial sweetener tast going on. I’m scoring it high in this department.

Effectiveness ===5/10===

Well here is the meat and potatoes of the review. Giving this category a 5 is very easy to do for me and here is why. About half the time I used it, I got some pretty good sleep. Had a nice, relaxing transition to sleep, and stayed that way for quite a while. Had some pretty nutty dreams as well. I won’t get into those because I don’t want to make it weird. BUT the other half of the time, I swear this stuff would actually keep me awake. The most noticeable problem with this stuff was that if I woke up within my first hour of sleep on it, that was all she wrote. Couldn’t go back to sleep at all and ended getting the opposite of a nice night of sleep and recovery. When this happens after taking something that is supposed to knock me out, I get pretty peed off. I will put out the disclaimer that I do toss and turn a lot at night in general, whether or not I take something, so that may play a role here a little bit. In terms of recovery, I’d say it was average. I could feel some small recovery effects the next morning after a hard workout, but it was nothing to write home about.

Side Effects ===3/10===

Here is my other major complaint about this product. I would take one scoop with as little water as possible so I wouldn’t have to peepee all night. Well no matter how little water I take it with, I have to constantly pee throughout the night, which once again negates the whole deep, restful sleep thing we are trying to get after here. Still earned a 3 because there were no other side effects besides weirdo dreams.

Value ===7/10===

This stuff is around $25 for 30 servings, which I feel is mostly on par with the rest of the supplements out there. And I’m making this decision based solely on a price to price comparison, not factoring actual effectiveness into it. The price is fair.

Overall ===5/10===

I think this one is a miss. Pretty much just a lackluster product that might work sometimes, but when it doesn’t, it DOESN’T! I’m 31, starting to get old, and the last thing I need is one more reason to have to tinkle in the middle of the night. May you all have sweeter drea

August 5, 2014

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Restfull Sleep
  • Enhanced Mood
  • Value Could Be Better
Profile:
Copper (As Copper Glycinate) 10 mcg 0%
Boron (As Boron Citrate) 2 mg **
Arnold's Dream Proprietary Blend 3,555 mg
Night Growth Matrix
L-Glycine, Gamma Amino Butyric Acid (GABA), 5-HTP 5-Hydroxytryptophan, Mucuna Pruriens 20% L-Dopa, Horny Goat Weed (Epimedium Sagittatum) Stem and Leaf Extract, N-Acetyl-5-Methoxytryptamine (Melatonin)
Muscle Recovery Matrix
L-Glutamine, BCAA Nitrate 3:1:2 Blend (L-Leucine, L-Valine, L-Isoleucine), Fenugreek (Trigonella Foenum Greacum) Proprietary Seed Extract Standardized to 50% Saponins.
* Percent Daily Value Based on a 2,000 Calorie Diet
** Daily Value Not Established
Other Ingredients:
Natural & Artificial Flavors, Citric Acid, Calcium Silicate, Sucralose, Red Beet Juice Powder (for color), Acesulfame Potassium.
*I took this from Bodybuilding.com

Mixability: 9/10
Iron Dream always mixed well for me, even with lower amounts of water (about 4 oz). There would always be some grittiness leftover but a quick rinse of water, even on the next day (I'm lazy sometimes) will do the job. The grittiness was about as little as possible, there were never any chunks floating or anything. Very thin texture similar to amino drinks.

Taste: 9/10
I bought the grape flavor and have used it a for about 3-4 bottles. Each time I use it the flavor has always remained consistent. The grape taste is reminiscent of grape candy, maybe even a grape Jolly Rancher. With about 6-8oz of water the flavor is really good. I'd say it is best at 8 oz. If you get down to about 4 oz it becomes about a 8/10 because the last sip or so is very sour. This really shouldn't be a huge deal because at about 4oz it will be down in a few gulps.

Effectiveness/Results: 8/10
While the product claims to do a lot in the ways of recovery, I cannot notice a huge difference. The relaxation and sleep effects are very noticeable, however. Most of the time I was out within 30 minutes of taking it but sometimes I feel like I need a tranquilizer to sleep. Still, I was always relaxed and sort of sleepy but my iPhone just prolonged my sleep, so I'd say this was my fault not the product (there have even been studies done showing artificial light inhibits natural melatonin production but that is a different story). I also really felt the ZMA complex in there, which unlike Resurrect PM is the full ZMA ratio. I'd have real crazy dreams (picking cherries off sheep instead of wool anyone?) about 3/5-4/5 of the time (3-4 days out of the 5 days a week I used it) which I liked but some may not. Now whether or not these ingredients actually helped speed up recovery, I can't tell. I know I felt the ingredients work so I can safely say that they were present in sufficient amounts (at least for me). I definitely had a deeper sleep, and they say that helps aid in recovery so make of it what you will.

I like how there are 30 servings compared to the 25 in Resurrect PM. I pick this up for about 30 USD including shipping&handling; and/or tax. That makes it about 1 dollar a serving and not too bad. I just wish there were 60 or 90 serving containers. As it is now, Iron Dream is fairly priced with its competition.

Iron Dream gave me a deeper sleep with a good taste. The only qualms I have are that the recovery is nothing earth-shattering and the value is just fairly priced, it is no steal. These are hardly serious cons though. Expect crazy dreams, relaxation, quick and deep sleep, and slightly better than average recovery. The only other thing I disliked was the middle of the night bathroom runs but honestly that comes with this category of supplement so I don't deduct points for it but I just thought it should be known. I rate it an 8 because I feel that it really isn't quite 9 quality except in taste and mixability but those don't carry as much weight as effectiveness and value in a product like this.

July 14, 2014

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Enhanced Mood
  • Value Could Be Better
I have taken this product for just over two months and I love it. First off ill run through the ingredients and what each is meant to do.

Profile- 9
The ingredients used in Iron Dream are everything you could ask for in a night time sleep aid. Zinc and magnesium are added as they are the two main parts of ZMA (zinc, magnesium, and aspartate.) at doses that play a huge role in sleep aid and recovery.

Iron dream also includes a Night Growth Matrix that comprises the majority of the product, which includes L-Glycine Gamma Amino Butyric Acid (GABA), 5-HTP (5-Hydroxytryptophan), Mucuna Pruriens , and L-Dopa. These ingredients aid in recovery and promote GH production during sleep, which leads to muscle size and strength increase.

Horny Goat Weed (Epimedium Sagittatum) Stem and Leaf Extract and N-Acetyl-5-Methoxytryptamine (Melatonin) Horny goat weed aids in natural testosterone production and melatonin aids in increased R.E.M. sleep and mood enhancement.

Iron Dream also includes the three BCAA's along with glutamine, L-Glutamine BCAA Nitrate 3:1:2 Blend (L-Leucine L-Valine L-Isoleucine). The glutamine aids in reduced muscle soreness and recovery. Whereas the 3:1:2 blend of BCAA's helps enhance and jump-start protein synthesis as you sleep, making the night time catabolic window (when muscles actually break down) shorten.

Lastly, Iron Dream includes Fenugreek which also helps aid in testosterone and GH production.

Mixability- 10
As Iron Dream is a powder I was skeptical as to how it would mix in water. However as the 10 suggests I was not disappointed with this product, as every last grain dissolved into the water and made for a pleasant pre-bedtime beverage.

Taste- 9
The taste was fantastic. I've taken two tubs of this product, each of which was Fruit Punch
because I loved it so much. The taste reminded me of smarties and was crisp and clean. Not leaving any bad aftertastes.

Effectiveness- 9
This product did everything that it said it would. In the world of gimmicks we live in now, that's all you can ask for in a supplement. I slept better and longer, as well as more solid. I would wake up refreshed and ready to tackle the day with no feelings of fatigue. With this being a "sleep" aid it passed every test with flying colors.

Value- 7
Considering you get 30 servings at about $30-40 it isn't a great buy at around a dollar a serving. however the fact that you only take it 5 days a week with two off days you end up getting 6 weeks out of it which isn't terrible. And if you can find a deal on it somewhere

Overall- 9
If you're looking for a sleep aid I would definitely recommend this product since it did everything it said it would.